Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Croix Renaissance (U.S. Virgin Islands) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Croix Renaissance (U.S. Virgin Islands) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by GoPhils

I was there about a year or so earlier and agree it probably could’ve used a renovation, although I believe it might’ve been in process.

It didn’t seem to be a huge property, so I wouldn’t necessarily expect that many dining options. I think it still had 2 or 3 though? Can’t remember.

I guess they were mostly beach bar type places but there were 4-5 restaurants or so less than 10 minutes away at Cane Bay.
If I remember correctly there was one breakfast restaurant, one dinner restaurant that had balcony and patio seating for lunch, and a pool bar. I don't believe the rooms had kitchens -- at least mine didn't -- so it's not like you could buy groceries and cook food.

Yes, there are some food trucks and bars but anything else is in Christiansted or east of there.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
If I remember correctly there was one breakfast restaurant, one dinner restaurant that had balcony and patio seating for lunch, and a pool bar. I don't believe the rooms had kitchens -- at least mine didn't -- so it's not like you could buy groceries and cook food.

Yes, there are some food trucks and bars but anything else is in Christiansted or east of there.
They were pretty casual but I think calling them food trucks is a bit of an exaggeration. There was a place called “The Waves” or something that was a little nicer
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Was curious when I found this property on TA for my research to the Caribbean. Planning to spend my bday in May during the time.
This property seems to have alot of good reviews on TA, but unfortunately was hit pretty bad during Irma, have heard that they are renovating and are scheduled for re-opening this year, but not sure if they will be ready by Summer.
Any kinds folks with sources care to share what you know?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by bluestrudels
Was curious when I found this property on TA for my research to the Caribbean. Planning to spend my bday in May during the time.
This property seems to have alot of good reviews on TA, but unfortunately was hit pretty bad during Irma, have heard that they are renovating and are scheduled for re-opening this year, but not sure if they will be ready by Summer.
Any kinds folks with sources care to share what you know?
No sources but I'm guessing being scheduled for re-opening "this year" means "this year island time," which means could be 2020 or 2021. If its owned by the pension fund and for sale .... I wouldn't make any plans.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
This property is also for sale, again, by the bankrupt island government's pension fund.

As an example, The Ritz-Carlton on St. Thomas was supposed to be open in late 2018 or early 2019, but is now scheduled for a vague summer 2019 opening. Some of the other St. Thomas hotels, such as the Marriott, aren't even under renovation or weren't when I was in the Virgin Islands in October 2018.

The Buccaneer Hotel is the only other good, resort hotel on St. Croix. The rest of the hotels are either inferior or basically downtown hotels.

You might want to consider Puerto Rico, which has mostly recovered. I think The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan is the only big hotel not reopen yet.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Jan 30, 2019 at 6:01 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
No sources but I'm guessing being scheduled for re-opening "this year" means "this year island time," which means could be 2020 or 2021. If its owned by the pension fund and for sale .... I wouldn't make any plans.
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
This property is also for sale, again, by the bankrupt island government's pension fund.

As an example, The Ritz-Carlton on St. Thomas was supposed to be open in late 2018 or early 2019, but is not scheduled for a vague summer 2019 opening. Some of the other St. Thomas hotels, such as the Marriott, aren't even under renovation or weren't when I was in the Virgin Islands in October 2018.

The Buccaneer Hotel is the only other good, resort hotel on St. Croix. The rest of the hotels are either inferior or basically downtown hotels.

You might want to consider Puerto Rico, which has mostly recovered. I think The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan is the only big hotel not reopen yet.
Ok great, thanks for the insight guys!
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:08 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
The sale of the Renaissance is now complete and the new owners are making a significant capital investment in the property. Not sue when the resort will reopen but it has been used by the FEMA workers on the island. I walked through the property this last April, before the sale closed and it needed a lot of work. My expectation is the it will reopen to the public in 2020. The location, on the north shore of the island, is beautiful.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:17 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
REOpening

I was able to book for April. Is it open yet?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Braswch
I was able to book for April. Is it open yet?
We just stayed there as part of a group and it is not yet open to the public. They provided us with breakfast and dinner, and there was a limited lunch menu via the front desk. The fitness room and the pool are open but the restaurant looked to be some way off (we and other groups were eating in conference rooms). There are still blue tarps on a few buildings but our room was fine (and had a full sized refrigerator and twin burners in addition to a microwave for limited cooking). So the place is functional and very nice as far as it goes. You might want to call and check what you will be getting.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:08 pm

Set to Open in December 2020

I called. They are NOT open. It was an error on Marriott's part to allow reservations. They said that should be fixed and taken down the next day.

They said they are looking at the December timeframe.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Braswch
I called. They are NOT open. It was an error on Marriott's part to allow reservations. They said that should be fixed and taken down the next day.

They said they are looking at the December timeframe.
They had been saying second quarter on the Marriott web site so I suppose that someone believed it without checking. I'm sorry to hear that you were misled but I guess it's as well that you checked.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 6:51 pm

Yes thanks. It's even bookable for tonight... lol
Old Jun 7, 2020, 10:04 am

Just booked a few nights for the end of the month: it appears to have been renamed the Carambola Beach Resort Saint Croix - its still under the Renaissance brand. Photos certainly look good online, but we'll see how the property, service and food actually pan out...
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by makin'miles
Just booked a few nights for the end of the month: it appears to have been renamed the Carambola Beach Resort Saint Croix - its still under the Renaissance brand. Photos certainly look good online, but we'll see how the property, service and food actually pan out...
You may wish to call them to see what facilities are available, the web site is saying that they are renovating until the end of the year. If it's like it was in February then you will have a comfortable stay in a beautiful place but may have to do more self catering than you expect. You will need a car or to use taxis to get anywhere, the latter are reliable and not too expensive but have to come some distance so planning is required.
makin'miles likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by makin'miles
I was supposed to head down there yesterday but balked at the limited offerings that was being described over the phone.

Originally Posted by MADPhil
You may wish to call them to see what facilities are available, the web site is saying that they are renovating until the end of the year. If it's like it was in February then you will have a comfortable stay in a beautiful place but may have to do more self catering than you expect. You will need a car or to use taxis to get anywhere, the latter are reliable and not too expensive but have to come some distance so planning is required.
There are significantly limited food options (think pool bar menu) and the hotel suggested that we bring our own food and self-cater. We didn't want to do that and canceled our trip in favor of going later this year when they're done with renovations.

Last edited by Intl359Widget; Jun 7, 2020 at 5:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.