Marriott Bonvoy hotels on Maui

Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:49 pm

Can book either of these for a similar rate for a November trip to Maui. Am only Starwood Gold, so not sure what that would get me at either (usually stay in Marriotts)... What is my better choice in terms of pools, beach, access to restaurants/night life, quality of room, etc.?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by dblue
Can book either of these for a similar rate for a November trip to Maui. Am only Starwood Gold, so not sure what that would get me at either (usually stay in Marriotts)... What is my better choice in terms of pools, beach, access to restaurants/night life, quality of room, etc.?
Rooms at the Westin would be better, however IMO the Sheraton is preferred overall as it has a direct beach access snorkeling area less than 100 yards from the beach - the Black Rock , where you can see many fishes.

Everything on Maui is close by in terms of restaurants/bars etc. so the prime highlight would be the beach and the Sheraton would be ideal.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: Gold SPG and Marriott, Silver United Milage Plus
mahu westin or sheraton

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Whilst the low end rooms at the Sheraton Waikiki appear to be not quite as bad as those at the Westin Moana, if you don't get a suite they are extremely small for 2 people to share. There is just no space at all. I have had a couple of types of ocean view room at the Sheraton Waikiki (these were not at all base rooms more the upper end of non suite rooms) and I hated the room. So the room makes a huge difference at the Sheraton Waikiki. To be fair and in contrast the worst rooms at the Westin and Sheraton Maui are both cheaper and better proportioned than some of the pricier rooms in Waikiki.
We are repeat visitors of the Westin Resort-it has undergone a major renovation, rooms are nicer, well furnished, bath rooms have separate dressing area with closet. The basic rooms at both Westin and Sheraton are the same size-340 sq.ft.-the Sheraton has not seen any renovation in a while, it is showing its age. We were there last Feb. Upgrades are unlikely, you can request high floors.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:28 pm

Maui: Waliea Beach Resort or Ritz Kapalua

We are traveling to Maui the first week of October. We are traveling with 3 small kids, so kid amenities matter to us.

Looking for recommendation of where to stay. I currently have both the Waliea Beach Resort and the Ritz booked, and need to cancel one on Saturday.

I love Ritz in general, but I've heard mixed things about this particular property. Apparently the it can get windy and rainy in the winter, is this an issue in October, and it is supposedly a bit older and isolated.

The Wailea resort also has somewhat mixed reviews, but most of them are pre-renovation. How nice is the resort post renovation? The kids pool is supposed to be really good now, but I can't find any reviews of how it will be for small children.

Doing a point booking and have a One bedroom residence suite at Ritz, and 2 standard rooms at the Wailea, so the point difference is minimal.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:01 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...wailea-rc.html
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:11 pm

Thanks, I saw that, but it was from before the renovations for the Wailea. Also, none of those reviewers mentioned anything about kids.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by ironfist99
Thanks, I saw that, but it was from before the renovations for the Wailea. Also, none of those reviewers mentioned anything about kids.
And that is when you should either have the courtesy to indicate that you have done a search or bump the existing thread rather than starting a new one.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:43 pm

There's a couple comments from people with children here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...pa-maui-5.html

I haven't seen the renovated pool area, but I've heard it's nice and rather large. There is also a kids pool at the Wailea resort; don't know about the RC. I think being able to walk to other resorts, the beaches, and shopping at Wailea are huge pluses.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
You'll be happy either way, but my vote would be for Wailea. You could also call them, explain that you have two standard rooms booked on points, and see if they'd be willing to swap you into a nice suite.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 5:50 pm

Thanks for the replies. I decided to stay at the Wailea Beach Resort. This was due to the better proximity and less potential issue with weather, better kid pools, and the fact that the RC was completely sold out during my stay, whereas the Wailea seems to have plenty of availability.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ironfist99
and the fact that the RC was completely sold out during my stay
Well that will kind of clinch it

Enjoy your stay and please report back!
Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Well that will kind of clinch it

Enjoy your stay and please report back!
I had a reservation already But I cancelled it, because I figured that a full resort would mean waits at restaurants and harder to get chairs at the pool. I will report back post trip.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:48 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Post Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali report

Just completed a 4-night award stay at the Westin Maui. As SPG Vanilla, we were upgraded from a Golf King to Ocean View King on the 7th floor of the Ocean Tower at check-in (had 4 individual award nights with the last in a Golf Double, so agent was able to keep us in same room after checking with manager).

The room was nicely appointed and fairly spacious, so much so that it felt like there should have been an armchair and ottoman in the corner. Standard desk, plasma TV, and minifridge. Bathrooms are nicely done, with nice tiles and fixtures, though a little on the small side, with a single vanity outside the toilet & shower room (no tub). There is also a mirror on the opposite side of the vanity, and a pass-thru area so it's workable for 2 people to get ready at the same time. Lots of outlets all around, which was much appreciated. The Ocean Tower rooms have small balconies enclosed with a glass paneled railing, enough space for 2 chairs and a small table.

It was windy and overcast for most of our stay (many people sitting around the pools wrapped in towels), but we spent most of the time diving and eating, so it didn't affect us too much, and was better than a Nor'easter! Did get to try out the waterslide as well (you have to go thru the pool where it ends to access the stairs to the top). Adult hottub at the top level was heavily occupied in the afternoon by a young crowd, but less crowded in the morning, though some (well-behaved) children were let slide as well.

MonkeyPod in Whaler's Village, just a few steps away, was our favorite for lunch, with Happy Hour specials on some food and drinks from 3-5p.

The Spa is expensive, like everything else on Maui, but the Lomilomi massages were great, and you get free use of the Spa for the entire day of your treatment, with sauna, steam room, hot tub, and nice views of the ocean.

Concierge desk offered a tour of the new Westin Nanea Villa property for 10,000 SPG points, but we opted to enjoy the pool on our last day instead.

$31.25/day resort charge + $30/day for mandatory valet parking. Call Service Express with the last 4 digits of your valet number to ask them to bring your car around ≈5-10 min in advance to avoid having to wait. Towel cards in use, but if housekeeping takes your beach towels, you can just ask for replacements at the towel desk by the pool.

Hope this is helpful! dstanhotelreport
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:05 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dstan
Just completed a 4-night award stay at the Westin Maui.

$31.25/day resort charge + $30/day for mandatory valet parking. Call Service Express with the last 4 digits of your valet number to ask them to bring your car around ≈5-10 min in advance to avoid having to wait. Towel cards in use, but if housekeeping takes your beach towels, you can just ask for replacements at the towel desk by the pool.
The mandatory $30 valet parking charge is a very new addition. We had booked a timeshare deal here, and the $20 resort fee was supposed to cover parking. Then got a call that, in addition to that fee, it is now mandatory valet for $30 more. I consider valet parking to be an inconvenience (would much rather get my car myself).

Since we're now locked in to the deal (non-refundable deposit), not too happy about the after-the-fact charge addition- but they ae covered by their T&Cs that do say that they can do that.

Will definitely make the timeshare presentation dynamic more interesting

Cheers,
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy LTT, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
The mandatory $30 valet parking charge is a very new addition. We had booked a timeshare deal here, and the $20 resort fee was supposed to cover parking. Then got a call that, in addition to that fee, it is now mandatory valet for $30 more.
They are supposed to waive the extra parking fee if you booked prior to Jan 10:
https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/FAQ_An...f_parking.html

I also emailed reservations, who confirmed that they will still waive the parking fee for Plats.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.