Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Hua Hin Resort & Spa - Amphur Cha-Am, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 13, 2023, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Hua Hin Resort & Spa - Amphur Cha-Am, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Curious as to how people are getting to the resort as I believe it is a long distance from BKK.
There is also an (inexpensive) bus directly to Hua Hin from BKK about 6 times a day - you can buy tickets online. Then it is another 100 baht from the bus station to the hotel (price may be different to different hotels)
However, as for this hotel - which used to be my favorite - since Marriott took over they have taken away too many benefits away (but not the warmth and kindness of the staff ) even tho IMO they have the best pool and lots of chairs with great views of the ocean (being not on the beach but a bit higher up is sort of an advantage. The amount of the "beach" varies from none to 100's of feet depending on the season and tides -but not great for swimming (even tho the water is usually quite warm) b/c there are huge buried boulders all along and LOTS of garbage (maybe thrown off the fishing boats and brought from the other side by tides). I think this is because the (now) many hotels along this stretch were allowed to build too close to the ocean.
SHH usually posts in the info when there are Indian weddings (which often have beautiful flower decorations, etc) so you can know in advance and avoid if you prefer.
Beaches in town are usually wider - but then u have to contend with all the hawkers and lots of crowds on the beach.
Hua Hin is no longer the beautiful sleepy fishing town it was years ago - more like Miami Beach these days ;(
MG - I know u said you'd crossed it off but posting it for others
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by estnet
There is also an (inexpensive) bus directly to Hua Hin from BKK about 6 times a day - you can buy tickets online. Then it is another 100 baht from the bus station to the hotel (price may be different to different hotels)
However, as for this hotel - which used to be my favorite - since Marriott took over they have taken away too many benefits away (but not the warmth and kindness of the staff ) even tho IMO they have the best pool and lots of chairs with great views of the ocean (being not on the beach but a bit higher up is sort of an advantage. The amount of the "beach" varies from none to 100's of feet depending on the season and tides -but not great for swimming (even tho the water is usually quite warm) b/c there are huge buried boulders all along and LOTS of garbage (maybe thrown off the fishing boats and brought from the other side by tides). I think this is because the (now) many hotels along this stretch were allowed to build too close to the ocean.
SHH usually posts in the info when there are Indian weddings (which often have beautiful flower decorations, etc) so you can know in advance and avoid if you prefer.
Beaches in town are usually wider - but then u have to contend with all the hawkers and lots of crowds on the beach.
Hua Hin is no longer the beautiful sleepy fishing town it was years ago - more like Miami Beach these days ;(
MG - I know u said you'd crossed it off but posting it for others
It is indeed sad that this is a hotel that has suffered from the marriot influence or maybe that's coincidence and the GM has changed ? We have been many many times, our favorite resort, Indian weddings included, but this summer will probably be the last. We tried the Marriot but found that way to busy, liked the location but not in anyway relaxing, will have to look around outside the Marriot chain. Real Shame
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I use to love Hua Hin and thought it would never change with the King having a Palace there but oh how wrong. In places it has become very "seedy" which is a shame. On another note if you want to get away from the crowds then the Marriott Rayong is a peaceful place.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
I use to love Hua Hin and thought it would never change with the King having a Palace there but oh how wrong. In places it has become very "seedy" which is a shame. On another note if you want to get away from the crowds then the Marriott Rayong is a peaceful place.
I still love Hua Hin, but now looking for a hotel like the Sheraton used to be ! Have not looked at Rayong, how are Tits treated ? Lounge ?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
No lounge but received breakfast in the main restaurant and an upgrade of a third party booking. Think there were other perks such as dining discounts but cannot remember now.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
It is indeed sad that this is a hotel that has suffered from the marriot influence or maybe that's coincidence and the GM has changed ? We have been many many times, our favorite resort, Indian weddings included, but this summer will probably be the last. We tried the Marriot but found that way to busy, liked the location but not in anyway relaxing, will have to look around outside the Marriot chain. Real Shame
I don't think it's the gm - had been a few times with him before Marriott - I agree a real shame. I hated the Marriott btw - not great pool (s), breakfast was a zoo, ug as a plat to a weird ?junior suite which was described as not having an ocean view by staff but actually did have some ocean view, etc. Very much felt like a huge chaotic hotel w/o charm or charming staff but did have good beach access, For sure not my style - I had stayed as free night (at the time it was about double the rate at the SHH)- will never stay there again.
I later stayed 2 nights at an independent hotel in HH which was across the street from the beach, much cheaper, smaller room BUT much more friendly and typical Thai service.
I guess I have to thank Marriott for reminding me that status may be meaningless and upgrades, etc often aren't worth much compared to smaller local places!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
I bit north of the Shearton and just barely south of the Novotel (former Courtyard) is the Cher Resort. Between Cha Am & Hua Hin. I never stayed there, but toured it once and it was very nice.

Then a bit further north is the Veranda Resort & Spa. Again, I never stayed there, but have talked to many who have and really liked it. This one is just at the north end of Springfield Beach. 200 baht/hour massages on the beach. Sometimes we'll go two hours! I used to stay at the Courtyard and really liked it. Now that its a Novotel I really dislike it.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
I am so saddened by the drop in Platinum recognition at this hotel.

We had Christmas there a few years ago. Five nights on points. Won the lottery and also used SNAs to get one of the suites overlooking the ocean. Over Christmas, it was "packed with Platinums". We had breakfast in the main buffet, snacks in the day from the lounge and then two hours of free flow cocktails in the bar upstairs with enough food to make a meal. Basically, full board.

In 2017, we stayed at the sister property in Pranburi and enjoyed the free flow drinks at the pool bar in the evening.

Marriott has apparently destroyed all this. So, they're pushing us to choose hotels based on the basics. I don't think either Sheraton in Hua Hin stands on its own without the added Platinum benefits. So, farewell.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
I don't think it's the gm - had been a few times with him before Marriott - I agree a real shame. I hated the Marriott btw - not great pool (s), breakfast was a zoo, ug as a plat to a weird ?junior suite which was described as not having an ocean view by staff but actually did have some ocean view, etc. Very much felt like a huge chaotic hotel w/o charm or charming staff but did have good beach access, For sure not my style - I had stayed as free night (at the time it was about double the rate at the SHH)- will never stay there again.
I later stayed 2 nights at an independent hotel in HH which was across the street from the beach, much cheaper, smaller room BUT much more friendly and typical Thai service.
I guess I have to thank Marriott for reminding me that status may be meaningless and upgrades, etc often aren't worth much compared to smaller local places!
Your stay at Marriott sounds the same as mine, awful pool, how can you even compare with SHH , breakfast an absolute zoo, maybe the same suit UG ! not a bad room, but odd and entrance from the basement which felt like we were in back of house,
it felt like Disney, all sparkles on the surface but look slightly deeper and its all fake.
I think it might be the Hilton next time, but what a waste of SHH,
estnet and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: BONVOY Lifetime Platinum , Ay Platinum, Hhonors Diamond
Very sad of what this hotel has ended up. The fact that they still have some sort of lounge but just don't let the platinums in anymore pisses me off and tells how they value the top tier customers.. During my previous stays in here always ended up in suite, now in lagoon view room (SNA declined).

Alson no MAGC anymore. 20% Discount for plats in (overpriced) restaurants seems to be the only good thing left.

Way to go Marriott, luckily there are other options.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kelju
Very sad of what this hotel has ended up. The fact that they still have some sort of lounge but just don't let the platinums in anymore pisses me off and tells how they value the top tier customers.
I don’t know if Platinum is to be considered top-tier anymore. There are now two published levels above Platinum, but I think they don’t receive lounge access either.

I’m leaning towards Hilton or a non-chain property also. Cera Resort was just OK and I dislike the way the Novotel (both to the north, closer to Cha Am) is run.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT

I don’t know if Platinum is to be considered top-tier anymore. There are now two published levels above Platinum, but I think they don’t receive lounge access either.

I’m leaning towards Hilton or a non-chain property also. Cera Resort was just OK and I dislike the way the Novotel (both to the north, closer to Cha Am) is run.

Whatever they call us now, I am LTE, there are basically no elite benefits here.

After many many years it is fast looking like we may stop going here, am actively looking for an alternative non chain property
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:13 am

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Update for this property
I have recent stay here and this is update for Plat/Titanium and Gold Bonvoy.

There is new Check-In/Out room(Small) on lobby level "The Elite" for check in Gold/Plat/Titanium.
The Elite provides some soft drinks, snacks and coffee machine same as Sheraton Club's afternoon period.
Open/Close 8 AM to 8 PM. But when I passed at 7 PM, this "The Elite" was already closed.
It maybe not club replacement.
1st New GM after merger (from marriott that destroys club/all plat benefit) was gone, New 2nd GM has been working for 6 months IIRC.

Plat/Titanium Benefits
-Room upgrade up to suite (Ocean front Suite)
-Breakfast at restaurant OR 1000 points.

IMO Location of this property is far more inferior than Marriott Hua hin, even Sheraton Pranburi is better.
They need to do more things to bring back Elite in order to be competitive to other hotels.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I considered going down to Hua Hin for Easter next year as part of a Bangkok trip but after reading all the reviews of the 3 properties there I decided to just stay in Bangkok for another 5 nights in a different area. They didn’t seem very appealing although Marriott had the best location (but seemed to attract large tour groups). Thanks for the update anyway.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by nongsom
Update for this property
I have recent stay here and this is update for Plat/Titanium and Gold Bonvoy.

There is new Check-In/Out room(Small) on lobby level "The Elite" for check in Gold/Plat/Titanium.
The Elite provides some soft drinks, snacks and coffee machine same as Sheraton Club's afternoon period.
Open/Close 8 AM to 8 PM. But when I passed at 7 PM, this "The Elite" was already closed.
It maybe not club replacement.
1st New GM after merger (from marriott that destroys club/all plat benefit) was gone, New 2nd GM has been working for 6 months IIRC.

Plat/Titanium Benefits
-Room upgrade up to suite (Ocean front Suite)
-Breakfast at restaurant OR 1000 points.

IMO Location of this property is far more inferior than Marriott Hua hin, even Sheraton Pranburi is better.
They need to do more things to bring back Elite in order to be competitive to other hotels.
Thanks for the update. I mourn the old days of the club with daytime snacks and two hours of food and alcohol in the bar in the evening.
estnet and CO-PLAT like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.