Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Yes, there is an elevator in the parking garage. It's not the main part of the parking garage, though. If you go all the way to the top, there's a ramp that takes you over to some additional parking in the Ainahou tower. I don't believe the door to the elevator is marked, but it's there.

As for which tower to request, most people say Ainahou, but I'm not sure it really matters. (Nor do I think "ocean view" is worth anything extra, as you're a block from the ocean and there are other hotels between there and the ocean.) Just consider it a room (relatively spacious -- 300 to 350 sqft -- by Waikiki standards) to sleep in with some extra amenities (mini-fridge and turndown service) in a good location, and your expectations will be about right.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 11:23 am

Programs: HH Nobody, AF FB Platinum, SIXT Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Ambassador
last stay in mid-december

I staid with my wife at this property 5 days in december just before Christmas on a discounted web fare. For the price, I think this hotel is unbeatable. As a PLAT, was "upgraded" to an ocean view room. Didn't really what this "upgraded" consisted on, but doesn't matter as we didn't spend lot of time in the room.
The location is very great.
This property is impersonnal, not renovated, but for this price, you really get what you paid for.

I don't know if you got the same experience, even if the room was very clean, it smells humidity quite a lot wich could be very annoying.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by clublounger
Originally Posted by bbbb
There is a elevator in the garage if you park on the right side of it. I found it after lugging the bags through the whole parking garage.
Elevator? At the Princess Kaiulani Parking Structure? Really?
It's faster to take the stairs - unless you're alone, unload the bags on the main level, or have someone wait with the bags on the main level, and take care of the car separately.

I use the garage at this hotel while staying at the Moana, but calling it a dump is being too nice. I think the hotel owner considers this property a location to put low budget package visitors from Japan primarily, and low budget (or poorly informed) haole tourists from elsewhere. They *could* fix the place up, but at this point I'm fairly certain they could not recover the cost given the rates they need to charge, and the same ownership offers nicer accommodations at the Moana, Sheraton or Royal for those seeking quality.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I use the garage at this hotel while staying at the Moana, but calling it a dump is being too nice. I think the hotel owner considers this property a location to put low budget package visitors from Japan primarily, and low budget (or poorly informed) haole tourists from elsewhere. They *could* fix the place up, but at this point I'm fairly certain they could not recover the cost given the rates they need to charge, and the same ownership offers nicer accommodations at the Moana, Sheraton or Royal for those seeking quality.
BINGO. I couldn't have said it any better.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:33 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by yyznomad
BINGO. I couldn't have said it any better.
I could add that if you feel at home at the Four Points Miami Beach, then the PK is the right hotel for you
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
I guess I stay at a different PK when I am in Waikiki, or at least my expectations are much lower, than many of the posters here.

Again, FOR THE PRICE, this is probably the best hotel on Waikiki especially for anyone trying to earn SPG points/nights.

In no way, would I call it a dump. Sorry, just haven't been in a room there that has been "dumpy".

Is it a little worse for wear or rough around the edges? Yep!

Is it in a desperate need for a makeover? Yep!

But is it a reasonably affordable, safe hotel, across the street from the Moana (near the ocean) that I can get a very good rate at that my company will pay?

Yep, yep, yep.

It is not, repeat NOT, a luxury hotel. But I don't think I have ever paid more than $150 for a room there and it is no way a dump.

JMHO.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
I agree. Nothing fancy, but not a dump either. Good value for Waikiki, especially if you can get it for under $100 (which we did).
Old Jan 5, 2009, 7:33 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
I live in Honolulu, and I have stayed or my friends stay starwoods hotels all the time. If PK is dump, I do not see any difference of all Starwoods in Honolulu.
Some of Royal Hawaiian/Moana Surfrider rooms are worse than PK tower room, still more expensive than PK.
Sheraton is packed by group tourists.
I do not see service difference compared to price difference.
Anyway, Honolulu Starwoods hotels are not really true resort hotels.
They are more like a city hotel with oceanview.
Not many guests enjoy the room or facility, except some of nicer suites such as Moana Tower Suite facing direct ocean.
They just sleep/take shower/ and go outside.
I am not saying PK is a good hotel as a resort.
However, PK is not a bad hotel as a city hotel centrally located with some view.
A few years ago, as a kamaaina(local resident rate), PK charged me only $50 a night, now maybe around $100.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
so, can anyone suggest which tower/floor/room is preferred or a must to avoid?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
well said...and i'll be staying there again later this month. at $98 for the triple a rate, it's hard to beat.

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
I guess I stay at a different PK when I am in Waikiki, or at least my expectations are much lower, than many of the posters here.

Again, FOR THE PRICE, this is probably the best hotel on Waikiki especially for anyone trying to earn SPG points/nights.

In no way, would I call it a dump. Sorry, just haven't been in a room there that has been "dumpy".

Is it a little worse for wear or rough around the edges? Yep!

Is it in a desperate need for a makeover? Yep!

But is it a reasonably affordable, safe hotel, across the street from the Moana (near the ocean) that I can get a very good rate at that my company will pay?

Yep, yep, yep.

It is not, repeat NOT, a luxury hotel. But I don't think I have ever paid more than $150 for a room there and it is no way a dump.

JMHO.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:05 pm

C&P March 2009 - Gold Member

I stayed at PK in March 2008 on a C&P stay as a gold member. When I arrived I was given a room on the tower to the right of the check in counter (Ka'lulani King, city view). I went to the room and it was very bad. I went downstairs to complain and the older lady at the SPG counter took at a map of the hotel towers and proceeded to tell me that the C&P stay is for a standard room and that she already upgraded me to a city view room. I told her the room was very poor and if they had anything else. She finally gave me a parital ocean view, which was way better. I did have to complain alot but I did get a better room in the end. I have a stay coming up in March 2009 for 5 nights and I was thinking about booking with C&P again. What would be the best way to go so that I can get at least a partial ocean view room? Should I pay for the first night on a ocean view rate and see if the rest of the nights I can keep that room? Will my gold status do anything?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:39 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by karenkay
at $98 for the triple a rate, it's hard to beat.
We'll be there next weekend on that same rate.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by karenkay
well said...and i'll be staying there again later this month. at $98 for the triple a rate, it's hard to beat.
I was happy to get that rate during Pro Bowl weekend. I also have an Ocean View reserved for $125 per night. As I only have Preferred Plus status, I was thinking it may be worth a little more because I have no shot at an upgrade.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 5:41 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
adam34space, unless you have too many starpoints to spare and need to use them, it appears better value to just pay for the room, as rates can often booked for less than $100 per night.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
adam34space, unless you have too many starpoints to spare and need to use them, it appears better value to just pay for the room, as rates can often booked for less than $100 per night.
The total amount that the room will cost me if I dont use points and get a ocean view room will be around $700 for 5 nights. If I use C&P it will be 14,000 points and $225 out of pocket. What is the value of 14,000 points? More than $475?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.