Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Oct 15, 2020, 7:36 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
That is the all in rate in mid-November when Waikiki is expected to be a ghost town - so that is probably the hotel's floor on price.
Your mostly correct other than "specials" has any work been done on the hotel since the virus outbreak?
Old Oct 15, 2020, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Your mostly correct other than "specials" has any work been done on the hotel since the virus outbreak?
You'd have to call - a minority of the hotels did some renovations but most from what I could see in Waikiki simply boarded themselves up and posted a security guard while closed. The Sheraton Waikiki and Royal Hawaiian barricaded the driveway entrances and fenced themselves off from the beach side. It was very surreal.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
You'd have to call - a minority of the hotels did some renovations but most from what I could see in Waikiki simply boarded themselves up and posted a security guard while closed. The Sheraton Waikiki and Royal Hawaiian barricaded the driveway entrances and fenced themselves off from the beach side. It was very surreal.
Wow I was in Honolulu right after 911 on business and it was surreal then, most of the large properties had shut down all but one tower, you could throw a bowling ball down the street and not hit any one can imagine what its like now. My wife is a "hoppa" so her mothers family is all through the islands and not reporting much in the way of happy news. We're hoping to return soon for vacation but really not before there is a vaccine in the wild. Not overly trusting the testing in place nor should the islanders.

Maholo
Old Mar 10, 2021, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Any recent visits here?
Using 35K certs so it's the only option on Oahu; I did see that there is a Sheraton and a Courtyard on the Big Island for 35K, but neither looks that great either.
I see Margarita Girl said the top 5-6 floors of the Ainahu Tower had been somewhat refurbished as of 3 years ago.
Those seem to be labeled as "Premium" rooms.
Any more refurbished rooms? Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2021, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Any recent visits here?
Using 35K certs so it's the only option on Oahu; I did see that there is a Sheraton and a Courtyard on the Big Island for 35K, but neither looks that great either.
I see Margarita Girl said the top 5-6 floors of the Ainahu Tower had been somewhat refurbished as of 3 years ago.
Spent 8 days here in mid February. Got upgraded to a premier room. Only the ainahau tower is open right now. Rooms are renovated and view was spectacular. Gym was open too. Limited food and pool bar options but head across the street to the Westin Moana and check out their beach bar (and you can room charge to the Sheraton for your points).
MaxFlyer and myhflow like this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 7:40 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Any recent visits here?
There is a reason this hotel is so much cheaper than the other options. But that said, if you are set on using your 35K certs for a Hawaii trip, this is probably the place to do it, since you still have access to the same beach as if you were staying at any other Waikiki hotel, and all the same restaurants and so forth, whereas on the other islands the resorts are more spread out and you're more likely to be going to the beach and restaurants at your hotel so a cheaper hotel may come with more downsides.

That said, not clear if you already realize, but take into consideration that the choice between Oahu and Big Island also means a very different type of trip, so that may also be something you want to consider beyond just which hotel you stay at.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 4:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
The resort fee still being charged with 35K points makes the certificates essentially useless. You'd be saving like $125. 0.4 cpp at best.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by UnitedF1RST
Spent 8 days here in mid February. Got upgraded to a premier room. Only the ainahau tower is open right now. Rooms are renovated and view was spectacular. Gym was open too. Limited food and pool bar options but head across the street to the Westin Moana and check out their beach bar (and you can room charge to the Sheraton for your points).
The only thing the CY on the Big Island brings is the sunset view from the patio other than that it was a lame cheaply done conversion from the old hotel. I have stayed many times for business trips in Kona from the first few days they opened to before Covid shutdown. Its a long walk from the tower in the back to the lobby/restaurants. But the view from the patio as you eat dinner or enjoy a cocktail is worth the many issues the property has as well as a easy walk "Downtown"
Old Mar 12, 2021, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by bgriff
There is a reason this hotel is so much cheaper than the other options. But that said, if you are set on using your 35K certs for a Hawaii trip, this is probably the place to do it, since you still have access to the same beach as if you were staying at any other Waikiki hotel, and all the same restaurants and so forth, whereas on the other islands the resorts are more spread out and you're more likely to be going to the beach and restaurants at your hotel so a cheaper hotel may come with more downsides.

That said, not clear if you already realize, but take into consideration that the choice between Oahu and Big Island also means a very different type of trip, so that may also be something you want to consider beyond just which hotel you stay at.
You know with the remodel of the tower makes staying there not so bad, given the huge uptick in rewards needed to stay at the main hotels I agree that the Sheraton makes sense.
kyushuman likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 11:36 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by edgewood49
You know with the remodel of the tower makes staying there not so bad, given the huge uptick in rewards needed to stay at the main hotels I agree that the Sheraton makes sense.
It truly is an excellent value for what it is. The beach is right across the street. For being a 30 second walk versus oceanfront (Westin Moana), it’s a good deal.
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 11:46 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by anteater
It truly is an excellent value for what it is. The beach is right across the street. For being a 30 second walk versus oceanfront (Westin Moana), it’s a good deal.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Thanks for the replies here. I figured with the free voucher and AAA rates around US$140++ it wasn't too bad considering the location.
Is there any evidence of any renovations? I see someone above said there were renovations, another said only the Ainahu Tower is open... but for late July at least, it seems all towers are open and for sale. Unless I hear differently, shall I assum that the only renovated part of the hotel is still the top few floors of the Ainahu tower?
Old Mar 13, 2021, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Yes, the rooms are renovated (at least the upper floors of the tower). I've stayed here several times since the pandemic began, and the location could not be better! Basically, it's the same location (just across the street) as the surrounding hotels that cost 3-4x more. Plus, you can charge to your room at the dining venues at the Moana Surfrider and Sheraton Waikiki. Pool is not as nice as the Sheraton Waikiki, and currently has limited hours, but honestly, who goes to Hawaii for a pool when you have a world-class beach right there?!

Probably the weakest part of the experience right now is the elite breakfast (for Platinum and higher). It's currently a take-out box, dispensed from the pool bar, as there is no sit-down restaurant open at the hotel. Staff are doing their best, but one of them told me last month that the full service restaurant at the Princess Kaiulani will not re-open until the hotel reaches a certain percentage of occupancy.

Or, you can redeem the breakfast vouchers across the street at the Moana Surfrider restaurant, which is fully open, but there is an "upgrade" charge, even if you just want the elite continental offering. 🙄
kyushuman likes this.

Last edited by ESpen36; Mar 13, 2021 at 2:19 pm
Old Mar 13, 2021, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Yes, the rooms are renovated (at least the upper floors of the tower). I've stayed here several times since the pandemic began, and the location could not be better! Basically, it's the same location (just across the street) as the surrounding hotels that cost 3-4x more. Plus, you can charge to your room at the dining venues at the Moana Surfrider and Sheraton Waikiki. Pool is not as nice as the Sheraton Waikiki, and currently has limited hours, but honestly, who goes to Hawaii for a pool when you have a world-class beach right there?!

Probably the weakest part of the experience right now is the elite breakfast (for Platinum and higher). It's currently a take-out box, dispensed from the pool bar, as there is no sit-down restaurant open at the hotel. Staff are doing their best, but one of them told me last month that the full service restaurant at the Princess Kaiulani will not re-open until the hotel reaches a certain percentage of occupancy.

Or, you can redeem the breakfast vouchers across the street at the Moana Surfrider restaurant, which is fully open, but there is an "upgrade" charge, even if you just want the elite continental offering. 🙄
That's great info to have! What room type do you usually book to end up with the renovated rooms as a Platinum? I should be Platinum soon thanks to this 2x promo.
Being in the middle of Waikiki, there are plenty of places for breakfast and other meals nearby too. Not too worried about that, but good to continue to have my low expectations on breakfast and won't be disappointed
Old Mar 13, 2021, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36

How much credit do you get against breakfast at Moana Surfrider?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.