Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: United 1K, 2 Million Mile member, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I was told no when I took a walk over there in Feb (wasn't staying at the hotel).
Thanks for the reply. We're staying 5 nights at the SW and 2 nights at the PK starting this Sunday. I'll report back on the disappearing Plat benefits. This is so disappointing since we have been coming to SPG Hawaii annually for the past 22 years.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by spgplatfromchitown
Thanks for the reply. We're staying 5 nights at the SW and 2 nights at the PK starting this Sunday. I'll report back on the disappearing Plat benefits. This is so disappointing since we have been coming to SPG Hawaii annually for the past 22 years.
Make sure you get a renovated room at the PK (top 5 floors of the tower I think). I saw one when I popped in for a visit and it was very nice. I had such a terrible experience with a dirty, decrepit room 4 yrs ago, I swore I'd never go back. Anyhow, I'm thinking of replacing my one night at the MS with a night at the PK for my April stay as it will save me $100. The other 5 nights will be at the SW.
spgplatfromchitown likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Dear PK,
I know you don't care, but on the off chance that you might, I'll tell you why you have missed me (even though you haven't) over the past several years.

My HNL needs are usually not resort-necessary. I just need a clean convenient room for a night or two from time to time. And then you started the resort fees at this non-resort. A few times I took the bait (although the fees were much lower back then), but generally shifted my stays elsewhere.

I almost took the bait again today for a future trip. I saw such a good rate that even with the bogus fee, I thought I'd still be ahead. Oh no. The $147 room was going to be over $200/nt out the door. No thanks. I'd rather pay the Hilton the same total amount, and stay in a hotel in better working condition, albeit a block further from the beach where I'm not going to go to.
vg247 likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), Marriott Lifetime Titanium (UGH), Uber Diamond
Hi all. Two quick questions for anyone who might know / have stayed here recently:

1. Is there a lounge for Plats here?
2. If not, any luck getting access to the lounge at the SurfRider or the Sheraton Waikiki?
3. I am a long time SurfRider stayer...but with lack of upgrade availability or specialty rooms available with points and loss of Ambassador, thinking about just paying for room here.

Thanks in advance!
Old May 12, 2018, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO_Chad
Hi all. Two quick questions for anyone who might know / have stayed here recently:

1. Is there a lounge for Plats here?
2. If not, any luck getting access to the lounge at the SurfRider or the Sheraton Waikiki?
3. I am a long time SurfRider stayer...but with lack of upgrade availability or specialty rooms available with points and loss of Ambassador, thinking about just paying for room here.

Thanks in advance!
No lounge and no reciprocal benefits that I am aware of.

What you could do is spend 1 night at MS or SW and then switch to the PK. On check out day, you can still use the lounge at the MS/SW in the evening.

Old May 12, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), Marriott Lifetime Titanium (UGH), Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by margarita girl

No lounge and no reciprocal benefits that I am aware of.

What you could do is spend 1 night at MS or SW and then switch to the PK. On check out day, you can still use the lounge at the MS/SW in the evening.

Thank you. I was pretty sure that was going to be the answer. I am a bit fearful of the number of plats that will exist come August 1st. Luckily I will get grandfathered into Lifetime Plat Premier - but am doubtful it is going to mean much in reality...especially at places like the MS or RH where people are using $$$ and not points (like me).
Old May 25, 2018, 3:57 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Just completed two nights here. We were pleasantly surprised.

At check-in, we were told that we'd been upgraded to a "suite," but it wasn't quite ready. We had an early arrival with Your24 approved, and they gave us the option of taking a standard room right away or waiting ~half an hour for the suite. We were given a voucher for an appetizer and a couple drink chits for the bar, and very soon our room was ready.

The "suite" is a single large room (the size of two standard rooms), and is recently remodeled and looks pretty nice for a Sheraton. Given this hotel's bad reputation, we were pretty shocked how nice it was. Our room was located on one of the highest floors of the hotel and had a large lanai with sweeping views over Waikiki. For some reason, the bathroom was not included in the remodel, and it looked like it came straight from the 1970s. We caught a glimpse of a standard room on our (remodeled) floor -- these are very tight.

We received coupons for daily full buffet breakfast, in addition to the 500 points. The buffet was pretty good by US standards, with an omelet station, sausage/bacon/etc, Japanese options, fruit, a salad bar, and continental stuff. The restaurant area isn't super appealing, but as far as food is concerned, I'd put this buffet on par with Hapuna Bay and SR Princeville.

I had an insanely low BRG of $110+/nt (plus 2k points BRG reward), so certainly good value (no need to PM me, this claim was Trivago.de to TUI; if that doesn't work for your dates, I can't help). As has been pointed out above, the resort junk fee and pricey parking increases such a low rate by more than 50%.

We have been to Honolulu dozens of times, and have tried basically all chains, with most stays at the Hyatt and Sheraton Waikiki. These had rates of >$350 for our stay dates, and the fallback options of Centric/HHV/etc were still twice as much as the Kaiulani. I was certainly worried about staying at the Kaiulani, based on the poor reviews here, but given the price and suite upgrade, we were very satisfied. The Kaiulani won't ever become our go-to hotel in Waikiki, but if the price is right, it's well worth considering. We will occasionally be back, but probably not without an approved suite upgrade.
margarita girl likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you use SNA to upgrade? Otherwise, did you know you were upgraded to a suite ahead of time? With Waikiki's 3 day cancellation policy, you're kind of stuck if your upgrade doesn't happen.
Old May 26, 2018, 1:34 pm

Didn’t use SNA, so was just lucky to get the upgrade. In the future, I’d probably apply a SNA, see if it goes through 5 days prior, and if it doesn’t, cancel and go with a backup reservation somewhere else.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by jpdx

At check-in, we were told that we'd been upgraded to a "suite," but it wasn't quite ready. We had an early arrival with Your24 approved, and they gave us the option of taking a standard room right away or waiting ~half an hour for the suite. We were given a voucher for an appetizer and a couple drink chits for the bar, and very soon our room was ready.

The "suite" is a single large room (the size of two standard rooms), and is recently remodeled and looks pretty nice for a Sheraton. Given this hotel's bad reputation, we were pretty shocked how nice it was. Our room was located on one of the highest floors of the hotel and had a large lanai with sweeping views over Waikiki. For some reason, the bathroom was not included in the remodel, and it looked like it came straight from the 1970s. We caught a glimpse of a standard room on our (remodeled) floor -- these are very tight.

We received coupons for daily full buffet breakfast, in addition to the 500 points. The buffet was pretty good by US standards, with an omelet station, sausage/bacon/etc, Japanese options, fruit, a salad bar, and continental stuff. The restaurant area isn't super appealing, but as far as food is concerned, I'd put this buffet on par with Hapuna Bay and SR Princeville.

I had an insanely low BRG of $110+/nt (plus 2k points BRG reward), so certainly good value (no need to PM me, this claim was Trivago.de to TUI; if that doesn't work for your dates, I can't help). As has been pointed out above, the resort junk fee and pricey parking increases such a low rate by more than 50%.

We have been to Honolulu dozens of times, and have tried basically all chains, with most stays at the Hyatt and Sheraton Waikiki. These had rates of >$350 for our stay dates, and the fallback options of Centric/HHV/etc were still twice as much as the Kaiulani. I was certainly worried about staying at the Kaiulani, based on the poor reviews here, but given the price and suite upgrade, we were very satisfied. The Kaiulani won't ever become our go-to hotel in Waikiki, but if the price is right, it's well worth considering. We will occasionally be back, but probably not without an approved suite upgrade.

So would you stay here again?
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond; SPG/Mar Platinum; UA Silver

I just checked in here last night (am posting from the couch in the room) to begin a five night stay on cash and points. We're traveling with some friends and so I booked one king room and one two-doubles room, both C&P. I secured these reservations back in February and applied SNUs to the king room.

The hotel reached out to me a few days ago with their customary aloha message. I've stayed at this property perhaps five times and I like it, but I do definitely prefer the more modern renovated tower to the sections that are held in the 1970s, so I replied to that email with a couple of notes: a wish to be in the tower if possible and a note that the friends we're traveling with are celebrating an anniversary on this trip. The reply back assured me that they would do everything they could to accommodate my request and thanked me for pointing out the anniversary - they would provide my friends with a nice welcome gift.

My SNU request was denied and the SNUs returned to my account (I found that out while on the plane out here), so I expected to get a king room come check-in. Check-in was exceptionally painless and were put in the tower for both rooms (same floor but a nice distance away from each other - perfect in other words). There were nice fruit/beverage plates in both rooms and my friends were provided a bottle of bubbly and some glasses as a happy anniversary gift, which I thought was a very nice gesture. More interestingly, my room was upgraded to a suite even though the SNU request was denied.

I presume I'm in the room (or clone of) that jpdx describes above. It's a single open area about the size of two deluxe king rooms, has a balcony that spans two of the normal SPK balconies (with two tables and four chairs). The living area has a couch and a table in addition to the desk and tv stand. There is a jet tub in the bath. But there is also a little entrance nook with a fridge and a sink and some cabinets, which adds a good amount of space to the overall suite.

I have to say that I'm delighted so far.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by WhiteDesert
I just checked in here last night (am posting from the couch in the room) to begin a five night stay on cash and points. We're traveling with some friends and so I booked one king room and one two-doubles room, both C&P. I secured these reservations back in February and applied SNUs to the king room.

The hotel reached out to me a few days ago with their customary aloha message. I've stayed at this property perhaps five times and I like it, but I do definitely prefer the more modern renovated tower to the sections that are held in the 1970s, so I replied to that email with a couple of notes: a wish to be in the tower if possible and a note that the friends we're traveling with are celebrating an anniversary on this trip. The reply back assured me that they would do everything they could to accommodate my request and thanked me for pointing out the anniversary - they would provide my friends with a nice welcome gift.

My SNU request was denied and the SNUs returned to my account (I found that out while on the plane out here), so I expected to get a king room come check-in. Check-in was exceptionally painless and were put in the tower for both rooms (same floor but a nice distance away from each other - perfect in other words). There were nice fruit/beverage plates in both rooms and my friends were provided a bottle of bubbly and some glasses as a happy anniversary gift, which I thought was a very nice gesture. More interestingly, my room was upgraded to a suite even though the SNU request was denied.

I presume I'm in the room (or clone of) that jpdx describes above. It's a single open area about the size of two deluxe king rooms, has a balcony that spans two of the normal SPK balconies (with two tables and four chairs). The living area has a couch and a table in addition to the desk and tv stand. There is a jet tub in the bath. But there is also a little entrance nook with a fridge and a sink and some cabinets, which adds a good amount of space to the overall suite.

I have to say that I'm delighted so far.
Good to know so it's fine without spending the points at the Mona/Sheraton on the water with renovations going on ?
Old Jun 9, 2018, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Good to know so it's fine without spending the points at the Mona/Sheraton on the water with renovations going on ?
IMO, if you get the suite upgrade, SPK is easily on par with Hyatt/Moana/SW (seeing that those hotels aren't without flaws), but it's important to keep in mind that SPK has a massive number of undesirable rooms. It appears as though they really try to upgrade Plats, but given high occupancy rates, there's significant risk of ending up in a standard-sized refurbished room, or even one of the ancient rooms. So for me, there are two scenarios under which I'll strongly consider SPK:

1) SPK costs 20+% less than Hyatt/Moana/SW and SNA at SPK approved.

2) SPK costs 40+% less than Hyatt/Moana/SW and no SNA at SPK.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 1:25 pm

IMO, if you get the suite upgrade, SPK is easily on par with Hyatt/Moana/SW (seeing that those hotels aren't without flaws), but it's important to keep in mind that SPK has a massive number of undesirable rooms. It appears as though they really try to upgrade Plats, but given high occupancy rates, there's significant risk of ending up in a standard-sized refurbished room, or even one of the ancient rooms. So for me, there are two scenarios under which I'll strongly consider SPK:

1) SPK costs 20+% less than Hyatt/Moana/SW and SNA at SPK approved.

2) SPK costs 40+% less than Hyatt/Moana/SW and no SNA at SPK.

Thanks for the thoughts., I called the SPG PLT desk and confirmed tower room king bed with a request for ocean view and suite upgrade if possible. Adding it's our anniversary. Given the diminishing value of the Marriott/Hyatt/Mona and the refurb going on this might just work. Hyatt and Marriott's current F&B is in the toilet and not all that much better across the street. Why not !
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:34 am

Has anyone visited here lately ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.