Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 21, 18, 12:17 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: margarita girl
Wiki Link
Hotel email address: [email protected]

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 14, 12, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Although I have not stayed at this property in years, and have zero plans to do so in the foreseeable future - the recent posts here still seem to maintain my last visual and mental capture of this place. Tired, stingy, and tired.
Old Aug 1, 12, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Anyone have any luck getting the property to waive the resort fee for Platinums recently?
Old Aug 1, 12, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post
Anyone have any luck getting the property to waive the resort fee for Platinums recently?
Couldn't get them to waive the fee entirely, but the duty manager (who INITIALLY had never heard of the Platinum "substitution" ) called SPG and was told about it.

He gave us breakfast buffet coupons for two that were likely worth more than the fee itself.
Maybe that's worth a try??

Dave
Old Aug 1, 12, 10:00 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by bseller View Post
Couldn't get them to waive the fee entirely, but the duty manager (who INITIALLY had never heard of the Platinum "substitution" ) called SPG and was told about it.

He gave us breakfast buffet coupons for two that were likely worth more than the fee itself.
Maybe that's worth a try??

Dave
That is interesting. When I stayed here a month ago they gave me some drink coupons when I checked in. I didn't know why they gave them to me, but now reading about the Platinum "substitution", I assumed that is what they were for.
Old Aug 1, 12, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by whimike View Post
That is interesting. When I stayed here a month ago they gave me some drink coupons when I checked in. I didn't know why they gave them to me, but now reading about the Platinum "substitution", I assumed that is what they were for.
nobody should get excited about these drink coupons.....they are for "Princess Punch", which is a syrupy water, sweet drink. No choice of drinks and certainly no alcohol.

They eliminated the coupons for free meatballs or fries on March 1st of this year.
Old Aug 5, 12, 1:39 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by clublounger View Post
nobody should get excited about these drink coupons.....they are for "Princess Punch", which is a syrupy water, sweet drink. No choice of drinks and certainly no alcohol.

They eliminated the coupons for free meatballs or fries on March 1st of this year.
I wasn't excited about them, nor did I even use them. But, the question is whether it was their version of the alternate amenity.
Old Dec 5, 12, 11:45 am

Programs: SPG Plat/Hyatt Plat/DL/AmexPlat/CO
Tired, tired and tired.

We stayed here for 2 nights just prior to Thanksgiving. The staff were nice particularly since the property was packed with tourists. As a plat still had to pay the resort fee - and the "comp" drink coupons were for a punch drink.

The rooms, while clean, were last refurbished, in my opinion, back in the 60's. Very disappointing - this property is in great need of a major overhaul. On the good side it is in a great location - right across the street from the Westin Moana and a block away from the International Market. Sheraton is going to have to do something with this place in the near future...........
Old Dec 5, 12, 12:42 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by jschutz View Post
Sheraton is going to have to do something with this place in the near future...........
Yes, they are.... to tear it down:
http://kyoyahotelsandresorts.com/pri...ulani-faq.html
Old Dec 5, 12, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Vuelos View Post
Not quite:

"The Ainahau Tower will remain, but Kyo-ya is proposing a new Pikake Tower"
Old Jan 13, 13, 1:34 am

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by Vuelos View Post

All so too bad imho. Yes, the PK is sub-par by most standards, but it had a lot of great things going for it by being a bit neglected. Great location, usually possible to get decent rates, no condos, no "extra" retail space, some real 50s Hawaiian style here with lots of modern nearby. Don't really think Waikiki needs more glitz and luxury.

I have stayed there on quick trips a lot and always appreciate a decent hotel option in the midst of the action that does not cost a fortune and is usually available. For those who complain about it there are many other SPG options nearby. But it looks like it may be a done deal. Anyone know when construction starts?
Old Jan 13, 13, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mstraveler View Post
All so too bad imho. Yes, the PK is sub-par by most standards, but it had a lot of great things going for it by being a bit neglected. Great location, usually possible to get decent rates, no condos, no "extra" retail space, some real 50s Hawaiian style here with lots of modern nearby. Don't really think Waikiki needs more glitz and luxury.

I have stayed there on quick trips a lot and always appreciate a decent hotel option in the midst of the action that does not cost a fortune and is usually available. For those who complain about it there are many other SPG options nearby. But it looks like it may be a done deal. Anyone know when construction starts?
I agree. On the other hand, your comment about glitz and luxury? That only applies to the shopping options. The hotel options really don't come close to real luxury, save perhaps the Halekulani, where I've never stayed.
Old Jan 14, 13, 9:57 am

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
I agree. On the other hand, your comment about glitz and luxury? That only applies to the shopping options. The hotel options really don't come close to real luxury, save perhaps the Halekulani, where I've never stayed.
That is true, although the Royal Hawaiian is very nice. And then there is the Trump, but have not stayed there. A better way to put it would have been that I don't think Waikiki needs more density, and I really have appreciated the PK option in its current form.
Old Jan 14, 13, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The PK is the only SPG Waikiki property that has not disappointed me in some large respect at one point or another (primarily in the respect that WN gets high rankings as an airline - friendly, and no expectations of splendor).
Old Jan 29, 13, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post
Stayed here last week and of course was hit with the Resort Fee, which a few months ago at the Sheraton Kona was immediately removed by the check-in agent because he admitted it duplicated most of my Platinum benefits. Not here, at least initially.

Found the wifi signal in my room impossible to connect to so went down to the front desk to complain. Agent gave me a Verison wifi device to plug in and log into and when I raised the issue of not having any interest in the beach items covered by the Resort Fee, or the long distance and local phone allowance, as well as the other benefits duplicating my Platinum benefits, she agreed to remove the fee. The device worked fine (and I returned it at check-out). No charge.

In the evening I had a couple of those infamous drinks...which weren't really that bad, like a pineapple Singapore sling...listening to a local group by the outdoor pool free of charge (plus a tip for the server and group) with the two coupons I got at check-in. Because the hotel was full, I couldn't get a late check-out but was able to check my bag at noon, meet friends for lunch, then return and use a small guest room to shower and change at no charge before heading to the airport.

Yes, the place is nothing special but a very typical tourist hotel. Great location if you don't care for being right on the beach. Easy to catch #20 bus to/from the airport for $2.50, about an hour's drive. While the Moana is my favourite, with a BRG rate of $120, couldn't resist going a bit down market for the night I needed to be in Waikiki.
Old Feb 12, 13, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I've been to this property twice before. I know it's a dump, but the rates are cheap on a BRG and both times they waived the idiotic "resort" fee. (As if they are a cat 5 resort! Give me a frigging break.)

Was there last night and they refused to waive the $18 fee. Now this got me angry. So I took the piece of paper that listed all the wonderful things that I received with my resort fee, crossed out all the ones I didn't use (which only left the internet, not even wifi in the tower I was in), and then made up my own list of all the broken things (the seat on my desk chair wasn't even attached to the frame, lights that didn't work, desk outlet that didn't work, service express button that didn't work) and disgusting things in my room (thick layer of dust at eye level no less, in the door for the connecting room, stained carpeting, gray wallpaper near the lightswitch), and came up with about 15 items total. Upon check-out I presented my list to the manager. She quickly agreed to waive the resort fee, but I was so ticked off, I said that wasn't enough. She ended up giving me a lot of compensation points. Shoulda waived the resort fee in the first place.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: