Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2010, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Stayed there last night in a "Suite" and would prefer a basic room at the Moana any day...

One tip: Platinums get bottled water, but you have to call and ask for it to be delivered.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, Marriott LT PLT
Recently stayed for one night on a AAA partial-oceanview rate of approx $130 all-in. Was pleasantly surprised to have been upgraded (without asking) to the 29th floor oceanview in the tower as a lowly SPG Gold. Unfortunately, it took standing 5 minutes at the Gold/Plat counter for someone to show up and tell me this Wonder where everyone was at 12:30 in the afternoon? The desk staff were pleasant.

Great view. Room sucked (no surprise for standard king room here). 2/4 of the tower elevators were INOP for about 10 hours...creating a huge mess and long waits. No bottled water in room. Couldn't get a wireless signal on their T-mobile service, and the wired service was definitely not "high-speed." It's $14/day if you're wondering.

Breakfast - the Pikake buffet was disappointing at $23. Quality was not quite worth it, IMO. However, they'll sell you a to-go container you can load up with the same food for $10. Considering most people on FT are experienced packers, this could prove a different sort of challenge.

Hospitality room - Got my late checkout at 2PM, but didn't have a flight till 10PM. The hotel offers a complimentary hospitality suite for guests who need an afternoon/evening shower. However, they just have one room and it's booked in 1 hr blocks, first come first serve. At 3:10, I was put #2 in the queue. All in all, though a nice service, I doubt being able to count on the room's availability if you have to make a flight.

Bell service - everyone seemed friendly and helpful. My primary complaint is that they stored my luggage unsecured near the bell desk all day, while I waited for my 8PM shuttle. Their anti-theft measure consisted of tying a white string through the handles of my suitcases. At least I was able to leave my laptop bag with the front desk.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, SW, Priority Club Platinum, SPG Gold
Holy Week 2010

My wife and I with our son stayed at this Sheraton for this past Holy Week 2010 (end of March).

We enjoyed out stay there. The staff behind the counter was friendly and attentive.

I got the room with points so no cost there. The room was okay, maybe plain, but clean and comfortable. We got partial view of the beach.

I guess the week we were there, the tradewinds tend to be stronger than usual, so the whole Waikiki area was very windy. This caused the sliding door to the balcony to rattle a bit with the wind, but a folded piece of paper between the door and the door jamb fixed the rattling.

Overall the hotel was good. Of course the ones across the street (Westin, Sheraton Waikiki and Royal Hawaiian) were better but I didn't have quite enough points for them.

Another poster had mentioned that the self-parking garage didn't have elevators. That is true. Best thing to do is drop off the bags in front, check-in and bring up the luggage to the room, then go and self-park the car.

Parking in self-park garage cost $25 per day. We were there for 3 days so it was $75.

As for food, we didn't eat in the hotel restaurants. They seemed too expensive and we were on a budget.

For breakfast, we had packed a lot of instant oatmeal and used the coffee maker to heat water. We also went to the numerous ABC stores for some Spam Musubis or Onigiris plus stock up on bottled water.

For dinner we went to the International Markeplace food court next door for dinner. The food court had free shows for dinner so it was cool.

Lunch bought was wherever we were at during the day.

Overall we enjoyed our stay.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by Riot6
Another poster had mentioned that the self-parking garage didn't have elevators. That is true. Best thing to do is drop off the bags in front, check-in and bring up the luggage to the room, then go and self-park the car.
There is elevator access to the self-parking garage on levels 3 and 4, from one of the towers.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Any reports on the Platinum extra amenity since the resort fee took effect?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I believe it is a coupon for one free $5 appetizer.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 2:53 pm

Programs: CO Plat
Stay Away!

Needed a place to stay for a one night stopover. Knew that hotel received less than stellar reviews but decided to take our chances. Were only going to be there for 12 hours. Used SPG points and cash. Arrived at 8 pm to a total zoo at check-in desk. No staff at Starwood desk. Gave us an "upgraded room" on low floor at back of hotel that was dingy, tired motel quality. Housekeeping was unacceptable, plumbing barely functioning. Tub drain totally stopped up. Too tired after long flight to ask for a new room. Last straw....ac stopped working in middle of night! Told them about the problems at check-out. Were they sorry? No, but finally offered 1000 Starpoints. What sad customer service! Couldn't wait to get out of there. So sad that they represent Sheraton and Starwood.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Recieved a Brkfast buffet cert. for 1,but only when pressed.

Seemed fair enough.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by benjy
Needed a place to stay for a one night stopover. Knew that hotel received less than stellar reviews but decided to take our chances. Were only going to be there for 12 hours. Used SPG points and cash. Arrived at 8 pm to a total zoo at check-in desk. No staff at Starwood desk. Gave us an "upgraded room" on low floor at back of hotel that was dingy, tired motel quality. Housekeeping was unacceptable, plumbing barely functioning. Tub drain totally stopped up. Too tired after long flight to ask for a new room. Last straw....ac stopped working in middle of night! Told them about the problems at check-out. Were they sorry? No, but finally offered 1000 Starpoints. What sad customer service! Couldn't wait to get out of there. So sad that they represent Sheraton and Starwood.
Like other SPG properties near popular tourist sites (the ones near Disneyland come to mind) the rooms and facilities are often worn and tired and it shows. While the staff can sometimes be overwhelmed, I never manage to find another SPG property in that part of Waikiki at the prices I get there.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:28 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KhalilSheikh
Like other SPG properties near popular tourist sites (the ones near Disneyland come to mind) the rooms and facilities are often worn and tired and it shows. While the staff can sometimes be overwhelmed, I never manage to find another SPG property in that part of Waikiki at the prices I get there.
I agree with KhalilSheikh - regardles of the number of posts on here regarding the quality of this hotel, every FT seems shocked when they stay here. It's at least 1/2 the price of the other Star properties or more - it is across the street from the Waikiki beach - and if you are on a budget it is fine - unpack your pags, enjoy the beach, don't stress about the room, it's always sunny and warm - but if you are looking for upscale, this isn't the place.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by billxmeredith
I agree with KhalilSheikh - regardles of the number of posts on here regarding the quality of this hotel, every FT seems shocked when they stay here. It's at least 1/2 the price of the other Star properties or more - it is across the street from the Waikiki beach - and if you are on a budget it is fine - unpack your pags, enjoy the beach, don't stress about the room, it's always sunny and warm - but if you are looking for upscale, this isn't the place.
As much as I think this hotel is a piece of poop, this gives me a different "stop and smell the roses" perspective. Thanks billx and Khalil!
Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: CO Plat
I realize that hotels such as these can be tired and worn, but I expected at least working plumbing and AC. When these didn't happen, I thought an apology would be in order! The attitude of the desk staff toward Starwood customers made me the most irritated.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 6:43 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
From HNL airport to SPK?

Only been on layovers at HNL -- this will be my first time outside the airport

Appreciate any advice on getting to the Princess from HNL... About how much would taxi vs shared van cost and how long do they take? Any other options to consider?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:52 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
I find a taxi normally runs in the region of $40. Shared van, last time I took that it was about $10 and I was fortunate enough to be in a van that made no more than 3 stops. However, I have not been able to find that van since the one time I took it. The other option is the big bus run by Roberts, I have declined to use that service as you seem to hang around for ages waiting for the bus to fill and then it seems to stop all over the place.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 6:44 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Any issues getting 4 pm Plat checkout?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.