Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Tampa Harbour Island (downtown) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Tampa Harbour Island (downtown) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Uh Clem
Will be spending a few days in Tampa soon and trying to decide between the Marriott Waterside and the Westin Harbour Island. Any recommendations?
What are your requirements? Is this your first time in Tampa?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
What are your requirements? Is this your first time in Tampa?
First time in Tampa and will be visiting with a vendor in Clearwater. Also want to check out St Petersburg as I'm considering a move to FL in a year or two. Decided to move my reservation to the Marriott St Petersburg / Clearwater to be closer to where I'll be spending my time.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 6:35 am
Suspended

First time in Tampa and will be visiting with a vendor in Clearwater. Also want to check out St Petersburg as I'm considering a move to FL in a year or two. Decided to move my reservation to the Marriott St Petersburg / Clearwater to be closer to where I'll be spending my time.
Probably a good idea being closer to Clearwater vs. DT TPA. Good luck checking out your potential home. FL takes some time getting used it, but you'll end up loving it, I'm sure. ^
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:35 pm

Will be spending a few days in Tampa soon and trying to decide between the Marriott Waterside and the Westin Harbour Island. Any recommendations?
Same question. Conference is at the Marriott. Suites are very inexpensive at the Westin but reviews are shaky there. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:32 pm
Suspended

I stayed at the Westin to take the FL Bar. Recently actually...end of July.

I was in a suite. Wasn't a fan. I'd go with the Marriott
Old May 23, 2015, 3:21 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Hi - could anyone tell me if this would be a suitable hotel for two nights with a family?

Also, what is the area like, is there much to see or do with kids in the day?

is there better SPG options in the area
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:24 pm

Stayed there last night. Place needs to be updated, as it is tired and worn. Plus, my room was not it the best shape: little things (soap, creamer, etc) were missing, and the marble on the sink was cracked so bad that you could take off most of the front of the sink. I actually did take it off so it wouldn't fall on my feet in the event I leaned against it. I told the front desk so they could fix it for the next guy. Bad move... I was tired and just wanted to take a nap, but the hotel made me switch rooms when the maintenance man came and looked at it. In my new room the room safe didn't work; I realized when I was headed out for the night and didn't have time to wait for maintenance, so I just left my stuff laying out (everything was fine though).

I stay over 100 nights a year in Starwoods and this is not one of their better properties. The Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk is nicer, IMHO.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 12:59 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Just finished a 2-night stay here prior to a cruise. I'd BRGed a traditional room, and at check-in although no suites were available (nor showing on the app) they put us in a water-view room looking across the channel toward the Convention Center, which also gave a great view of the Holiday Boat Parade of Lights on Saturday ^

There's a decent food menu served in the lobby bar area, and two restaurants in the adjacent building (a Starbucks is coming soon). We didn't have a car but I think the entire complex shares an underground parking garage. Didn't look like there's too much else on Harbour Island, but the hotel is pretty conveniently located near stop 6 of the water taxi and there's a stop of the free In-Towner route 96 bus directly across the street from the front entrance although that seems to be weekday only (weekend equivalent 97 doesn't stop on Harbour Island). There's also a streetcar stop a shortish walk across the bridge towards the Convention Center.

They are in the middle of a renovation, signs of which were still evident throughout the property. Specifically in our room this included:
  • faint odor of paint and fresh wood/particleboard
  • the in-room safe was locked closed when we arrived, had to call maintenance to open it
  • which led to discovery of the next problem, the phone was dead

it turned out the phone (as well as the lamp between the beds) hadn't been plugged back in. The bathroom did not look particularly new, but was perfectly functional.

In looking at their web site shortly before arrival I was slightly surprised to see mention of Club rooms since I hadn't seen any mention of a lounge and thought I remembered reading on FT/elsewhere about it having been removed. But at checkin they mentioned Plat breakfast was in the SPG lounge, and sure enough I followed their directions past the lobby restaurant there was a sign "SPG Lounge" leading to a lounge space.

The attendant there said it had only opened 3 days ago, and there is still a sign saying "725 south -- a bistro" outside the door (and still mentioned on their web site as of this writing). It seemed very spacious with several different seating options and a moderately large food area. The view was off a different corner than I room, looking across a different channel in the direction of Tampa General.

Breakfast included muffin-sized quiches and smoked salmon. Other than spoons for oatmeal etc. it was oddly devoid of silverware, which the attendants had to bring once you were seated (drink orders taken at the same time -- OJ was fresh squeezed ^) The first day the same attendant from the previous evening was there and never asked for room info etc. The second morning was someone different and had us sign it to the room ($20/pp) and said it would be removed at checkout (which it was). Don't remember seeing food in the afternoons/evenings but might have just been there at the wrong time; there were bottled drinks and packaged snacks available. (Breakfast/Lounge threads updated)

Last edited by Zorak; Dec 24, 2017 at 1:13 pm
Old Dec 24, 2017, 1:00 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Pix taken at various times of day:

controller1 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No post since 2017. Anyone stayed post Covid?
Old Apr 13, 2024, 3:18 pm

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Anyone stayed here since 2017?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.