Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Tampa Harbour Island (downtown) [Master Thread]

Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:04 am
Suspended

Staying here in July 2014 to take the Florida Bar. I read that the hotel has recently been renovated. Any recent experiences?

I picked this over the Sheraton due to TripAdvisor reviews and proximity to the Convention Center.

I saw they have a Le Meridien opening up July 2014, but not bookable yet.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Staying here in July 2014 to take the Florida Bar. I read that the hotel has recently been renovated. Any recent experiences?

I picked this over the Sheraton due to TripAdvisor reviews and proximity to the Convention Center.

I saw they have a Le Meridien opening up July 2014, but not bookable yet.
The Sheraton and Westin, IMO, are equidistance from the convention center. The Westin has better views. I say go with the Westin

Off topicL This is a city where you can "hop" between locations. The Le Meridien is moving into the cities old courthouse. The location isn't great, but should be a nice "historic" property. Also, the aloft will be next door to the Sheraton. So if you maintain status by stays, downtown Tampa is good deal.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
The Sheraton and Westin, IMO, are equidistance from the convention center. The Westin has better views. I say go with the Westin

Off topicL This is a city where you can "hop" between locations. The Le Meridien is moving into the cities old courthouse. The location isn't great, but should be a nice "historic" property. Also, the aloft will be next door to the Sheraton. So if you maintain status by stays, downtown Tampa is good deal.
Good point. I do rely on stays for status. Being that Tampa is 3 hours from Jax, and I'm always looking for a good excuse to go to Bern's Steakhouse, I'll look to this option in '14 for keeping Gold.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Just a tip. Westin's garage is shared with Knights Point. They share the same exit.

Knights Points rates is $10/day. Westin is $17/day.

When you enter Westin garage, get the ticket from the barrier on the right hand side instead of the left.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Westin Tampa Harbour Island review

SPG Status: Lifetime Gold
Date of Stay: March 2014
Length of Stay: 3 nights
Arrival Day: Wednesday

POSITIVES:
View from room- We were on the 12th floor (top floor) with a view of the city skyline and the bay. Very nice. The view was a paid/reserved view which is further discussed below.
Friendliness and efficiency of bartender- We ended up eating in the bar on our night of arrival. The food was good and the service and drinks from the bartender was excellent. The bartender was also the waiter in the bar.
Cleanliness of room- The room and bath was spotless. We requested that the room be cleaned during a specific period each day before we departed for the day. The room was always ready when we returned.
Gold welcome gift in room- There was a letter addressed to me by name welcoming me to the property and recognizing my SPG Gold status. Next to the letter was a small box of chocolate covered almonds. Very nice gesture indeed that went above and beyond what is required.
Water temperature & pressure- Pretty self-explanatory.
Valet parking- The valet parking attendants never took more than five minutes to retrieve our rental car. Valet attendant placed our luggage in the car's trunk upon check-out. See also note about valet upon check-in below.
Maintenance- We had a towel rod fall in the shower our first morning. Staff was very quick to replace the towel rod with a new one.
Location- Great location and within walking distance of convention center and the Tamp Bay Times Forum which was great as we attended a Tampa Bay Lightning hockey game our second night.

NEGATIVES:
Check-in experience- Check-in was efficient but I was told that I had been "upgraded to a Premium Room with a view of the bay/skyline on the 12th floor". I told the front desk agent that I had not been upgraded because I reserved and paid for a Premium Room with a bay/skyline view located on floors 10/11/12. He just muttered "Oh, it shows traditional here." I then asked about an upgrade to a Studio Suite but he said none were available. I really dislike this "You've been upgraded" song and dance I sometimes receive at Starwood properties when the room I receive is exactly the category of room I reserved and paid for.
Lack of electrical outlets- Even though the room was in excellent condition and perhaps had even been updated recently, there was a dearth of available electrical outlets. The bedside lamps and the desk lamp did not have outlets in the base of the lamps. The previous guest had unplugged the alarm clock (housekeeping had not plugged it back in) and I left it unplugged in order to utilize the electrical outlet. There was a pull-up electrical outlet "pole" in the top of the desk which provided two electrical outlets.
Lack of in-room safe- No in-room safe so no place to secure valuables, laptop, etc while not in room.
Restaurant- Our first night we went down to the restaurant around 8:00 pm to have dinner. The property's website shows the restaurant would have been open until 11:00 pm. The hostess stand was not manned and the restaurant was empty. We went around to the bar and asked about the restaurant and were told that they serve dinner in the bar and only use the restaurant for overflow. They also stated the restaurant was really not used for anything other than the breakfast buffet.
Bar menu obsolescence- We seated ourselves in the bar area and were brought a dinner menu. Also on the table was a booklet which highlighted different drinks available and containing about six pages of "Bar Bites." We asked if we could order from either menu and were told "The Bar Bites menu is obsolete except for the Buffalo Wings. I wish they would get rid of that menu." Well I wish they would too since I had selected some menu items from that "obsolete" menu.
Valet parking upon check-in- The valet attendant watched as my wife and I tugged to get our luggage out of the trunk of the car and never offered to assist. I guess he was there just to park the car.

Overall, this was a very good stay and I would not hesitate to return to The Westin Tampa Harbour Island again.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by controller1
SPG Status: Lifetime Gold
Date of Stay: March 2014
Length of Stay: 3 nights
Arrival Day: Wednesday

POSITIVES:
View from room- We were on the 12th floor (top floor) with a view of the city skyline and the bay. Very nice. The view was a paid/reserved view which is further discussed below.
Friendliness and efficiency of bartender- We ended up eating in the bar on our night of arrival. The food was good and the service and drinks from the bartender was excellent. The bartender was also the waiter in the bar.
Cleanliness of room- The room and bath was spotless. We requested that the room be cleaned during a specific period each day before we departed for the day. The room was always ready when we returned.
Gold welcome gift in room- There was a letter addressed to me by name welcoming me to the property and recognizing my SPG Gold status. Next to the letter was a small box of chocolate covered almonds. Very nice gesture indeed that went above and beyond what is required.
Water temperature & pressure- Pretty self-explanatory.
Valet parking- The valet parking attendants never took more than five minutes to retrieve our rental car. Valet attendant placed our luggage in the car's trunk upon check-out. See also note about valet upon check-in below.
Maintenance- We had a towel rod fall in the shower our first morning. Staff was very quick to replace the towel rod with a new one.
Location- Great location and within walking distance of convention center and the Tamp Bay Times Forum which was great as we attended a Tampa Bay Lightning hockey game our second night.

NEGATIVES:
Check-in experience- Check-in was efficient but I was told that I had been "upgraded to a Premium Room with a view of the bay/skyline on the 12th floor". I told the front desk agent that I had not been upgraded because I reserved and paid for a Premium Room with a bay/skyline view located on floors 10/11/12. He just muttered "Oh, it shows traditional here." I then asked about an upgrade to a Studio Suite but he said none were available. I really dislike this "You've been upgraded" song and dance I sometimes receive at Starwood properties when the room I receive is exactly the category of room I reserved and paid for.
Lack of electrical outlets- Even though the room was in excellent condition and perhaps had even been updated recently, there was a dearth of available electrical outlets. The bedside lamps and the desk lamp did not have outlets in the base of the lamps. The previous guest had unplugged the alarm clock (housekeeping had not plugged it back in) and I left it unplugged in order to utilize the electrical outlet. There was a pull-up electrical outlet "pole" in the top of the desk which provided two electrical outlets.
Lack of in-room safe- No in-room safe so no place to secure valuables, laptop, etc while not in room.
Restaurant- Our first night we went down to the restaurant around 8:00 pm to have dinner. The property's website shows the restaurant would have been open until 11:00 pm. The hostess stand was not manned and the restaurant was empty. We went around to the bar and asked about the restaurant and were told that they serve dinner in the bar and only use the restaurant for overflow. They also stated the restaurant was really not used for anything other than the breakfast buffet.
Bar menu obsolescence- We seated ourselves in the bar area and were brought a dinner menu. Also on the table was a booklet which highlighted different drinks available and containing about six pages of "Bar Bites." We asked if we could order from either menu and were told "The Bar Bites menu is obsolete except for the Buffalo Wings. I wish they would get rid of that menu." Well I wish they would too since I had selected some menu items from that "obsolete" menu.
Valet parking upon check-in- The valet attendant watched as my wife and I tugged to get our luggage out of the trunk of the car and never offered to assist. I guess he was there just to park the car.

Overall, this was a very good stay and I would not hesitate to return to The Westin Tampa Harbour Island again.
Nice update!
Old Mar 16, 2014, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Great review, controller1!
Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:43 pm

Yes, thank. We could all do more of this.

Cheers,
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flews
Yes, thank. We could all do more of this.

Cheers,
I try!
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:34 am
Suspended

Just wanted to say:

Jewell Coleman, the Sales/Catering Coordinator, emailed me this morning regarding a stay on July 28.

She wanted to welcome me to the hotel, thank me for my loyalty, and ask me if there's anything she could do for me before my stay.

Props to the Westin Tampa Harbour Island! Very, very nice and welcoming touch.

On another note, I'm only SPG Gold...wondering if this is something they do for all guests, Golds + Plats, Plats only...?? Or, it could be because she saw I had an IATA # attached to my rez and was reaching out because I'm a travel agent?

Also kind of interesting the email was from a Sales and Catering Coordinator, and not the GM.

Anyone experience something similar?

EDIT: Lo and behold, I just checked my reservation, and I was upgraded from a standard king to a 1 bedroom suite. . .
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:06 am
Original Member

I know they do that for Platinums. Not sure about Golds.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by seawolf
I know they do that for Platinums. Not sure about Golds.
You mean emailing a guest with an upcoming stay? Or the pre-arrival upgrade?

Obviously not complaining! It's a great touch and huge props to the Westin. Just curious as to whether this is a known thing or not. Stayed at a lot of SPG properties and can count on 1/5th of my hand how many times it's happened before
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:52 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by pricesquire
You mean emailing a guest with an upcoming stay? Or the pre-arrival upgrade?

Obviously not complaining! It's a great touch and huge props to the Westin. Just curious as to whether this is a known thing or not. Stayed at a lot of SPG properties and can count on 1/5th of my hand how many times it's happened before
Both.

Had similar happening in both Sheraton Montreal, Westin Fort Lauderdale, Westin Diplomat as well as this property.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by seawolf
Both.

Had similar happening in both Sheraton Montreal, Westin Fort Lauderdale, Westin Diplomat as well as this property.
Gotcha. I think the only other time this happened for me was at a Westin (Greenville).
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Westin or Marriott?

Will be spending a few days in Tampa soon and trying to decide between the Marriott Waterside and the Westin Harbour Island. Any recommendations?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.