Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Tampa Harbour Island (downtown) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Tampa Harbour Island (downtown) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
I wouldn't get your hopes up (at Westin Tampa Bay by the airport). Yes, its a new property, but the rooms are nothing to write home about. I find the hotel to be extremely noisy with the causeway adjacent to the property. In the evening, you hear nothing but rice rockets ramping up their engines because of the stop light. It's ridiculous. Also, I was not upgraded to a suite (and yes, I asked) even though spg.com clearly stated a standard suite was available for sale (I'm sick of it, whether or not the hotels actually have the suites, don't sell it if you don't have it). The club lounge was lame. In the evening, it was invaded by a group of kids who brought their own alcohol and blasted the lame speakers attached to the computer with ghetto music. I was so appalled that I canceled my reservation for the next evening and moved to the Westin Harbour Island. That was the best decision I had ever made. Feel free to browse through my pictures of the Harbour Island:
www.flickr.com/photos/dunkindonuts Though an older hotel, I enjoyed it more.

To their credit, the staff was very friendly and well trained.
Wow! I hope that is all straightned out before I go on the 4th, or I will be needing lots of drinks!
Old Jun 25, 2009, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Just got an email today from the front end manager asking me if I needed anything and that I was upgraded to a corner suite. Never happened to me before. I just hope when I get to the airport location, Im not too disappointed

Also, in my reservation they show me in a suite and in between my first and last name, they put (VIP). Im moving up a bit, lol.

Last edited by chanp; Jun 25, 2009 at 9:29 pm Reason: adding
Old Jun 26, 2009, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by chanp
Just got an email today from the front end manager asking me if I needed anything and that I was upgraded to a corner suite. Never happened to me before. I just hope when I get to the airport location, Im not too disappointed

Also, in my reservation they show me in a suite and in between my first and last name, they put (VIP). Im moving up a bit, lol.
You don't want the corner suite. It's the smaller one. Ask for the larger 1800+ sq ft panoramic suite they gave me. Pics are in my photo album. You will like that one more
Old Jun 26, 2009, 5:14 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
You don't want the corner suite. It's the smaller one. Ask for the larger 1800+ sq ft panoramic suite they gave me. Pics are in my photo album. You will like that one more
Thanks for the advice, I will do Be there in about 4 hrs.

Was that room 1232 as others have suggested?

Last edited by chanp; Jun 26, 2009 at 5:19 am Reason: adding
Old Jul 3, 2009, 8:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Just called about my upcoming July 4th stay. The lady on the phone said the lounge will not be open on July 4th contrary to what I was told about a month ago. She also said the roof is still under construction sono fireworks can be view from there. that sucks now that i have to drive somewhere to view the FWs. BTW - anyone have suggestion for dinner near this hotel (have kids 9 and 12)? Thanks!
Old Jul 3, 2009, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Just called about my upcoming July 4th stay. The lady on the phone said the lounge will not be open on July 4th contrary to what I was told about a month ago. She also said the roof is still under construction sono fireworks can be view from there. that sucks now that i have to drive somewhere to view the FWs. BTW - anyone have suggestion for dinner near this hotel (have kids 9 and 12)? Thanks!
Yet my room res. states club floor with lounge access. Cont. brk and snacks. I wish they would just tell us these thing BEFORE we get there. They are STILL selling club level rooms on spg.com as we speak.
You can bet I will be asking for some breakfast coupons .
Old Jul 3, 2009, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am still steaming about this. From spg.com on when you get your list of hotels in Tampa, this is what is written on the Westin Westshore "Waterfront hotel with private beach, rooftop lounge, restaurant, and café, all minutes from Tampa’s airport and business districts."

Nothing to indicate the roof top lounge is closed either.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
I am still steaming about this. From spg.com on when you get your list of hotels in Tampa, this is what is written on the Westin Westshore "Waterfront hotel with private beach, rooftop lounge, restaurant, and café, all minutes from Tampa’s airport and business districts."

Nothing to indicate the roof top lounge is closed either.
CNWO4LIFE, I know we are referring to the same hotel but I put my report in the wrong thread. It should have been in the The Westin Tampa Bay thread and not in this one (Westin Tampa Harbour Island). But either way, a gentlement whom I spoke with about a month ago said I can see fireworks (2 differnt ones) from their roof top lounge. And the lounge will be open at this property and may have something special plan for the special day. Now I am thinking of switching my stay to the Harbour Island as is closer to the July 4 activities. But I will call them tomrrow morning to confirm no access to the roof top lounge b4 I make the switch.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, SPG, Hyatt, Marriott
Two years ago I arrived at the Tampa Airport Embassy Suites the evening of July 4. They told me I would have to go somewhere to see fireworks, but I started to see them out in the Bay--probably about 9:30. I had a wonderful time watching at least ten different shows all around the Bay from St. Pete to Clearwater. You should be able to look outside and watch them this year too. Good luck!
Judi
Old Jul 5, 2009, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jcwik
Two years ago I arrived at the Tampa Airport Embassy Suites the evening of July 4. They told me I would have to go somewhere to see fireworks, but I started to see them out in the Bay--probably about 9:30. I had a wonderful time watching at least ten different shows all around the Bay from St. Pete to Clearwater. You should be able to look outside and watch them this year too. Good luck!
Judi
Thats exactly what we did. With drinks from the Aquanox and some beach chairs we watched fireworks until about 1130.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 9:06 pm

Harbour Island fireworks

We switched from the Westin at the airport to Harbour Island downtown for 4th of July activities. We had a great time at channelside - great activities and food (walking distance). The fireworks show was great too. But the biggest surprise was the hotel. Is an older hotel compare to the brand new one at the airport (which we stayed on our last day in Tampa). But the service paid to a Plat was way up there. Best ever! The property manager of the day (Sarah) basically told us that whatever we need let her know and is on the house! My kids couldn't believe it and they took her up in the evening with cookie request and the goods were delievered! She also assigned us the famous 1232 suite. The best way to descibe the suite is that my kids were able to play hide and seek there. We had no regrets in changing to this property even with slow elevators and the dated hallways. My kids will forever remember this property as Sarah's place. ^^
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:29 am

I'll be there the next two nights...

I have stayed there before and the experience was meh... for a Westin. It's a scenic area though next to the water. I have only had a "super suite" once with SPG Platinum and this is my 4th year as Platinum. The suite in Galleria Westin Houston is probably 1500 sq ft.

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
We switched from the Westin at the airport to Harbour Island downtown for 4th of July activities. We had a great time at channelside - great activities and food (walking distance). The fireworks show was great too. But the biggest surprise was the hotel. Is an older hotel compare to the brand new one at the airport (which we stayed on our last day in Tampa). But the service paid to a Plat was way up there. Best ever! The property manager of the day (Sarah) basically told us that whatever we need let her know and is on the house! My kids couldn't believe it and they took her up in the evening with cookie request and the goods were delievered! She also assigned us the famous 1232 suite. The best way to descibe the suite is that my kids were able to play hide and seek there. We had no regrets in changing to this property even with slow elevators and the dated hallways. My kids will forever remember this property as Sarah's place. ^^
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:53 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Self Parking is $15, valet $20

Approx cab cost from TPA to/from this property is $25
-
Old Dec 2, 2010, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Westin comparison

So - between the two, any recommendations? Leaning towards the Harbour one (versus Airport), as it seems to be more of a walking area. All in, will probably cost me an extra $100 versus the Airport one. Trying to get any feedback if its worth it...thanks.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
So - between the two, any recommendations? Leaning towards the Harbour one (versus Airport), as it seems to be more of a walking area. All in, will probably cost me an extra $100 versus the Airport one. Trying to get any feedback if its worth it...thanks.
Check BlissWorlds reviews. IIRC, he's stayed at both. I trust him. (#TopChef! ) I've only stayed Downtown.

If you're comparing prices, also check the Sheraton downtown (I'm not a Sheraton person), but it was pretty nice IMOP. The Downtown Sheraton and Westin are not to far apart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.