Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Vienna, Austria [Master Thread]

Le Meridien Vienna, Austria [Master Thread]

Old Oct 7, 2008, 3:51 am

Le Meridien Wien
Opernring 13

Situated on the Ringstrasse, the Le Meridien Wien is in great proximity to all that Vienna has to offer. The Opera House, museums, restaurants, coffee houses, pubs and bars - they're all within walking distance or a short subway ride away with a subway station right outside (ish) the hotel.

The public areas of the hotel were quite funky. On arrival you step into the very minimalist lobby, and given the LM101/Art + Tech project you're greeted by sounds of water running or birds chirping as you enter. There were also exhibits of contemporary art around the lobby. I especially like the v industrial decor of the Shambala Bar. The acoustics weren't the best though, as the music was thumping but not especially atmospheric - and just seemed loud. Other than that, the bar was quite a hopping place on Friday night when I went for a few after hour tipples. Some v interesting pictures in Cafe Boulevard (more on this cafe later) and unlike most of other coffee places in Vienna other than Starbucks, this place does lattes with soy milk.

I received an upgrade to a v large Executive Suite on the 2nd floor, and they'd even set up a spare Queen sized bed as I'd booked this room for 2 initially. It is a v nice room with a lounge, an ensuite bedroom containing a bright pink bathtub (and separate showers) in the bathroom, and another smaller bathroom for guests. Free in-room wifi, so that was appreciated. The room rate also comes with a free mini bar, which contained 2 bottles of juices, 2 bottles of Coke, water and 1 bottle of beer (beer absent on first night). Not the most generous 'free minibar' in the world.

bedroom

wardrobe with mini bar and safe

living room

main bathroom

2nd bathroom

Contrary to the promises of LM101, I wasn't all that inspired by the decor of the room. The room is best described as 'generic chic' - it is v contemporary in an IKEA kind of way, and continues the minimalist theme of the lobby. However, i couldn't consider it edgy, or even designer material. It certainly didn't cause me to view the world in a 'new perspective.' It IS a very nice room, and the contemporary decor is v much appreciated; however it is frustrating when theory doesn't meet application. Stylish and modern? Yes. Forward looking and breaking new ground? No.

The service was generally pretty good, with rather young (and some rather good looking) staff. Most staff members I interacted with were v friendly and accomodating. Concierge service (Ambassador desk or whatever it's called) was more mixed. jhm, phaleesy and I asked one of the concierge staff about decent places for brunch, and got directed to a rather touristy cafe which locals probably turn their noses up at (most of the clientele there were holding maps, and the menu didn't look all that good). However I asked a different staff member the same night about nightlife on a Sunday and he not only identified the places but also launched into detailed explanations about them and how I should plan my night. Pretty much spot on too.

On balance a pretty satisfactory stay, and a rather solid property. As far as SPG goes, the LM is a great alternative to the Imperial or the Bristol if you're desiring something modern. Just don't take the LM101 design concept so seriously (like myself...) and you won't be disappointed.

Next: Sighted in Vienna
Old Nov 9, 2008, 9:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Having read through this thread, this hotel gets generally good to v good reviews for location, rooms, staff etc. The only downside I can see (and perhaps I've become rather spoilt in this regard ) is that there is no lounge for breakfast? Am I correct? Am looking at booking three nights here later in the month.
Thanks in advance
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:11 pm

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Excellent Stay!!!

First some background, I am a Starwood Platinum Member. I stayed here using points and notified the hotel the trip was to celebrate my birthday.

Pre stay communication: very responsive, I was responded to by the Reservations Manager and Concierge I was that would be upgraded to a Executive Suite and was given all the information I needed regarding area and transporation.

Check In: Check In was pleasant with host informing about my room the Free Mini Bar--Water, Soda and Beer restocked each day.

Room: The Room was large and comfortable, We were in the older side of the hotel so the refurbished Room had some of the highest hotel room ceiling I have seen. I knew about the showers ahad of time so I was prepared.

Executive Lounge: NA

Room Service: Did not use. My room included a fruit basket and wine the fruit was refilled each day.

Service: Excellent always polite and can do service.

Location: Right on the Ringstrasse across from the Opera Hall. Best Location in Vienna in my opinion. walking distance to most sights with the Metro right around the corner.

Last edited by sdcarver; Nov 17, 2008 at 10:58 pm Reason: copied and pasted wrong review... now it is correct
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:48 pm

Programs: SPG, AA: PLAT; Hilton: Diamon, UAL: Premier Exec; IC_PriClub; 308 hours flying Boeing 707's
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
is that there is no lounge for breakfast? Am I correct?
UAPremExecFlyer,

You are correct, there is no lounge, but the small coffee shop on the first floor more than makes up for it with variety and value. We stayed there for 3 days and each morning we had a filling meal for less than 9 Euros combined... and I'm the guy that the Sheraton Albuquerque Old Town lounge attendant used to order more food when I walked in the door

We had a warm sandwich one AM, a quiche one AM and a Salad (for her) and pastries (for me) one AM, with coffee and juice.

-- CaptainG

sdcarver...

I'm quite sure the LM Vienna has no executive check in on the 7th floor. Were you talking about the Hotel Grand Bretagne, an LC property?
Old Nov 17, 2008, 11:00 pm

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by CaptainG
UAPremExecFlyer,

You are correct, there is no lounge, but the small coffee shop on the first floor more than makes up for it with variety and value. We stayed there for 3 days and each morning we had a filling meal for less than 9 Euros combined... and I'm the guy that the Sheraton Albuquerque Old Town lounge attendant used to order more food when I walked in the door

We had a warm sandwich one AM, a quiche one AM and a Salad (for her) and pastries (for me) one AM, with coffee and juice.

-- CaptainG

sdcarver...

I'm quite sure the LM Vienna has no executive check in on the 7th floor. Were you talking about the Hotel Grand Bretagne, an LC property?
CaptainG,
I had indeed copied and pasted the wrong review--thanks for catching it and good call on the Grand Bretagne.

sdcarver
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:57 am
Suspended

How far is the hotel from the railway stations Wien Sudbahnhof and Wien Westbahnhof ?

Thanks
Old Mar 30, 2009, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mario33
How far is the hotel from the railway stations Wien Sudbahnhof and Wien Westbahnhof ?

Thanks
We took a taxi from the hotel to Wien Westbahnhof and it was 9. Could have probably easily done it on the U-bahn but didn't want to fool with it with luggage.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I read a couple of reviews on TripAdvisor of this hotel that complained about glass walls/doors on the bathroom and the resulting lack of privacy, but a lot of other reviews didn't mention this. Can anyone shed some light? Looking to stay here with a non-romantic travel companion -- will the bathroom setup be awkward?
Old Apr 6, 2009, 11:23 pm
Suspended

You cant see through the bathroom door anyway, so I dont see it as being an issue unless 2 person are using the bathroom at the same time. I believe the "complaint" was on the lack of individual doors for the shower and wc areas.

Having said that, my major complaint on this property is the sound/vibration which seems to transmit through to neighbouring rooms whenever someone shuts any of the doors in their room.
Old May 14, 2009, 11:32 pm

Programs: AC E, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, AA basic
Just wanted to add my raves to the LM Vienna -- a trip a month ago confirmed that all the greatness is still there -- the free mini-bar (though the beer is kinda week), the exceptional location (near the subway, the Opera House and the museums), and the modern, trendy facility.

I booked an award stay, so even though I was a Platinum, I wasn't upgraded to a suite. The room was still really pleasant, with huge vaulted ceilings, flat screen TV, and good Internet.

My quibbles is the bathroom area -- while spacious with a large, separate bathtub, my shower area didn't have a door! After a shower, you end up soaking the entire bathroom floor with water. I think that they tried a little too hard to be trendy in this room. Noise does get to be occasionally a problem, both inside and out, since the Operaring is a pretty busy thoroughfare.

All in all, I would book here again. It's a model Le Meridien, that's for sure.
Old May 15, 2009, 1:44 am
Suspended

I wouldnt describe this property as the model Le Meridien; though location is great, rooms are decent , free mini-bar is nice and room rates quite reasonable.

Firstly after all the hype about their non-smoking policy, I discovered they allow smoking in their small "indoor" cafe. And when I need to call Guest Services, I have to ransack the entire room to search for the number to call; there is no phone directory next to the telephone. While the big TV is nice, its positioned off-centred from the bed. Looks like its all about "style" rather than practicality.

And as a Platinum guest, there is no lounge and no comp breakfast
Old May 29, 2009, 8:51 am

Programs: AC E, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, AA basic
Originally Posted by jrehfeldt
No comp break is a little ridiculous...thanks for a good post.
There are many Starwood hotels worldwide that do not offer complimentary breakfast, or Platinum lounges. I understand the argument that these Vienna hotels take in pretty good coin, (particularly the Imperial (Category 6!!!)), so a coffee and a croissant shouldn't be too hard. Still, choosing a hotel based on a comp breakfast would limit a whole bunch of really great options in the Vienna core, Starwood and otherwise.

I will agree that Plats aren't treated lavishly (I wasn't upgraded to a suite, just a nice room with a view), and I'll also agree that they're trying a little too hard to be trendy (cf. bathroom with no shower door). But as a Starwood Cat 4 hotel, it's decent, and you can't beat the location. I would still book there again.
Old May 29, 2009, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had a very nice stay here earlier this month. Great deal on the cash+points. As a Gold, was told I was upgraded, but can't remember to what. I think it was an "Executive Twin" or something. Good-sized room, not a suite (not that I expected that). Right near the elevators, but noise was not a bother.

Room was great, I liked the W-style ambiance, and they have a nice fitness center with pool/hot tub/sauna/steam that was always empty in the morning.

Location excellent as well, though not quite like the Bristol.

Of course the one complaint is the poor design of the shower. No matter what we tried, the bathroom floor would be soaking after. What were they thinking?
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
Parking Revisited

Just handed our car over to the valet for a 34 Euro charge and am hoping that someone has discovered a cheaper parking option!

We're willing to walk a little bit - but this is going to be tough given our plans to stay 4 or 5 days.

Thanks
Old Aug 1, 2009, 1:04 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
Parking Solution

We found out that the hotel's parking lot actually offers a week rate of 119 Euro. For anyone staying longer than 3 nights, this will save them money. The hotel was unaware of this possibility, so we had them call the garage and the gentleman at the garage very kindly converted our daily ticket to a week pass. Since we decided to stay a week, this saved us 120 Euros. On the downside, since they aren't very familiar with it, it took two days to arrange the conversion meeting - during which we didn't have access to the car. I'm sure we could have pushed, but we were so glad to have it arranged we happily spent the two days walking.

There also appears to be a park and ride option for 3 Euros for those willing to simply park their cars and not use them. From our research, it is an approximately 20 minute U-Bahn ride to Erdenberg (sp) station where this can be done.

Finally, on a different subject, this hotel has been amazing. Nobody has had an attitude at all, and given how much the lobby resembles a W, it sometimes feels very hard to believe. But everyone is friendly and helpful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.