Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Vienna, Austria [Master Thread]

Le Meridien Vienna, Austria [Master Thread]

Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Question on platinum amenity breakfast

Question to anybody with recent stay: is the platinum amenity breakfast still the Shambala buffet rather than the continental in the bar (Moet)?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold,HHonours Diamond,SPG Plat,Carlson Gold,Accor Plat,Etihad Gold
Platinum Breakfast Benefit

yes breakfast is the full buffet, in fact I will be there tomorrow morning
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: AA-EXP, Marriott(T)
Does anyone know if the Moet Bar and the hotel is now "Non-smoking" or does it go into effect in May? I still find it hard to believe that Austria has smoking sections. The Moet-Bar is a smoking cafe and the open door to the lobby and elevators means you can smell it everywhere. A staff member said he thought it would change in 2018.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by voweffekt
Does anyone know if the Moet Bar and the hotel is now "Non-smoking" or does it go into effect in May? I still find it hard to believe that Austria has smoking sections. The Moet-Bar is a smoking cafe and the open door to the lobby and elevators means you can smell it everywhere. A staff member said he thought it would change in 2018.
Moet Bar was still a smoking bar when I was there in December. I had not heard it was going to change and honestly with the old lobby now being more of a bar area (after the reno) I would find it surprising if they don't keep the Moet Bar a smoking bar for those that want to smoke. I find it annoying that people that don't smoke seem to want everyone else to be non-smokers and want to complain about smoke and smokers. (and that's coming from a non-smoker...who believes people should be able to do what they want to do!) That's why foreigners love Americans so much! Sorry but it's true. Keeping the door closed between the bar and the elevator area and maybe installing a fan above the door that keeps smoke from flowing out into the elevator area when the door is opened might do the trick. Or if it bothers you why not use the elevator behind the check-in desk?
remymartin likes this.

Last edited by christianj; Jan 22, 2018 at 8:11 am
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by christianj
Moet Bar was still a smoking bar when I was there in December. I had not heard it was going to change and honestly with the old lobby now being more of a bar area (after the reno) I would find it surprising if they don't keep the Moet Bar a smoking bar for those that want to smoke. I find it annoying that people that don't smoke seem to want everyone else to be non-smokers and want to complain about smoke and smokers. (and that's coming from a non-smoker...who believes people should be able to do what they want to do!) That's why foreigners love Americans so much! Sorry but it's true. Keeping the door closed between the bar and the elevator area and maybe installing a fan above the door that keeps smoke from flowing out into the elevator area when the door is opened might do the trick. Or if it bothers you why not use the elevator behind the check-in desk?
My question was more about the legal codes going into effect in 2018 in Austria.
However, I'll bite. The specific location of that Bar and the policy to prop open the door of that bar means that smoke is actively pulled into the lobby area ad elevators so much that one can smell it on the floors above.
So why not shut the door, why not install a fan? Many people don't like the smell of smoke so it's really a smart business decision.
I don't live in the hotel, but if they make decisions to keep the doors propped open, people might choose to not stay there and that would be a shame for an otherwise lovely property.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:07 am

My question was more about the legal codes going into effect in 2018 in Austria.
However, I'll bite. The specific location of that Bar and the policy to prop open the door of that bar means that smoke is actively pulled into the lobby area ad elevators so much that one can smell it on the floors above.
So why not shut the door, why not install a fan? Many people don't like the smell of smoke so it's really a smart business decision.
I don't live in the hotel, but if they make decisions to keep the doors propped open, people might choose to not stay there and that would be a shame for an otherwise lovely property.
I would tend to agree with you that the door should be closed to avoid the smell of the smoke getting into other areas of the hotel. None of us know why they don't close the door but I would guess it's because it doesn't bother the majority of the guests or only a small number of guest that are bothered by it complain about it. I assume it's partially due to the feeling that it really is not that big of a deal as people in Europe have been used to the smell of smoke in bars (and even restaurants) for years. Things are changing in a lot of countries but I think the general consensus towards smoking is not as drastic as it is by most in the US. The Europeans see it as part of a night out with a nice after dinner drink, an espresso and a cigarette.

Since I speak and read German I just looked at what I could find on the law. To me it sounds like the new law to total ban smoking is not going to be implemented in May of this year. The rules requiring a separate area for smoking will remain intact...so essentially to me that means the hotel can continue having the Moet Bar as a smoking establishment since it is a separate area for smokers.

Here a cut and paste of the report from the Kronen Zeitung from December 2017. I have BOLDED the important part in the paragraph:

VP und FP einig

11.12.2017 15:11Jetzt doch kein komplettes Rauchverbot ab Mai 2018

Jetzt scheint es fix zu sein: Das ursprnglich ab Mai 2018 geplante absolute Rauchverbot in der Gastronomie kommt nicht. Nach einer emotionalen Debattehaben sich VP und FP am Montag bei den Regierungsverhandlungen stattdessen auf eine Raucherregelung nach "Berliner Modell" geeinigt. Dies wurde von Verhandlern besttigt. Gste knnen vorerst weiter in abgetrennten Rumlichkeiten Zigaretten konsumieren. Zugleich wird der Nichtraucherschutz fr Jugendliche verstrkt.
voweffekt likes this.

Last edited by christianj; Jan 22, 2018 at 11:18 am
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by christianj

Here a cut and paste of the report from the Kronen Zeitung from December 2017. I have BOLDED the important part in the paragraph:

VP und FP einig

11.12.2017 15:11Jetzt doch kein komplettes Rauchverbot ab Mai 2018

Jetzt scheint es fix zu sein: Das ursprnglich ab Mai 2018 geplante absolute Rauchverbot in der Gastronomie kommt nicht. Nach einer emotionalen Debattehaben sich VP und FP am Montag bei den Regierungsverhandlungen stattdessen auf eine Raucherregelung nach "Berliner Modell" geeinigt. Dies wurde von Verhandlern besttigt. Gste knnen vorerst weiter in abgetrennten Rumlichkeiten Zigaretten konsumieren. Zugleich wird der Nichtraucherschutz fr Jugendliche verstrkt.
Servus und Danke! I had heard that the hotel might move away from a smoking bar in January, but it looks like May is the official date. Thanks for posting.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:21 am

Servus und Danke! I had heard that the hotel might move away from a smoking bar in January, but it looks like May is the official date. Thanks for posting.
The official implementation date was May 2018 BUT they have backtracked and said they are not going to force the law into effect in May thus allowing establishments to continue to offer patron the ability to smoke as long as its in a sepuarea which imho the Moet Bar is.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:46 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
A Pleasant 8 night stay at Le Meridien Vienna

Le Meridien Wien

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Le Meridien Wien

Opernring 13-15 Vienna, AT 1010

A Pleasant 8 night stay at Le Meridien Vienna (20 Photos)

Le Meridien Wien

Intro

Le Meridien Exterior.jpg

My experience at SPG over the last 16 years has been exceptional.  I can count on one hand the number of disappointing Starwood stays I’ve had. But contrary to the experience of others whom I trust, one of our rare disappointments was at the Imperial Hotel in Vienna. On this trip I really debated whether to give the Imperial a second chance or to try the Le Meridien. In the end we decided on Le Meridien for 4 reasons:  the location (although the two hotels are very near to each other, the Le Meridien is several blocks closer to my cousin’s house), the décor (we enjoy contemporary style), the points savings (on an 8 night stay that was considerable) and the chance to try somewhere new. In the end we were very pleased with our decision.

Check In

But first- Our stay started off on a dubious note.  It was a very long flight for us-an 11 hour overnight flight from the West Coast to London-  a long layover at LHR and then the flight to Vienna, so after 24 hours of traveling, by the time our driver pulled up outside the hotel after 9 pm we were tired and looking forward to unwinding and settling in. To our great surprise and consternation when we drove up to the hotel we saw a huge line of revelers snaking around the building, with a doorman and a velvet rope.

After Work Party.jpg

We have occasionally stayed at W Hotels during parties, but this was a bigger and louder crowd than we’d ever seen. We were especially confused because it was a Thursday evening and we were nervous that we had made a terrible mistake. As guests, the bellman ushered us past the throngs to the lobby which only increased our concern-it was decorated for some type of performance art with police tape around the desks and tape markings on the floor as if it were a crime scene. In the background we could hear a DJ and loud techno music.  At this point we could only shrug and laugh (our preferred way to deal with travel adversity).  Fortunately, our concerns were soon allayed.  The friendly young Front Desk receptionist assured us that the party was a once a month event.  We later heard from locals that this is an extremely popular event in Vienna (“The joy of life starts when business closes with an extravagant afterwork-party: Le Méridien celebrates the happy event once a month for the whole city – with special cocktails, DJ and dinner menus specially created for the special day.”)

The FDC also assured us that on our high floor the music would be inaudible and promised that the hotel is usually a mellow and peaceful place to stay.  He also let us know that the hotel had upgraded us to an Executive Suite for our entire 8 night visit.  He apologized that a Rooftop Terrace suite was not available as they were remodeling all of the top floor terrace rooms. He also confirmed something I had arranged in advance, that we would be able to use our Platinum breakfast credit for room service with a 5 euro service charge.

Room

Executive Suite.jpg

We were very happy with our spacious (over 800 square foot) Suite on the sixth floor.  It wasn’t fancy but it had the elements that contribute to a pleasant long stay:  a comfortable seating area, a dining table for 4, great black out curtains, a good bed, a shower with excellent pressure, a master and guest bath, good temperature control and nice views from the large windows.

Dining Table.jpg

Our welcome gift was a selection of Viennese chocolates, a fresh fruit selection (that was replenished daily) and bottled water.

Sitting area.jpg

The seating area had a comfortable sofa, coffee table and 2 chairs.

Minibar.jpg

There was a Nespresso coffee maker and a complimentary mini bar.

Desk area.jpg

There was also a small desk area.

Bedroom 1.jpg

The separate bedroom had a comfortable bed 

Bath and Shower.jpg

a large master bath with walk in shower

Master Sink.jpg

Tub.jpg

and bathtub.

Blow dryer cabinet.jpg

There was an odd setup with the blow dryer.  

Dyson.jpg

The good news was that it was the nicest hair dryer I have ever had in a hotel room (the Dyson hairdryer is favored by many stylists)  The bad news was that because it sells for 400 euros it was attached to a console in the living room which made for awkward use. Since crummy hair dryers are one of my pet peeves when I am traveling I put up with the inconvenience, but it would be better if they could come up with another solution.  (the only worse set up was years ago at the Pulitzer in Amsterdam when I had to climb a narrow stairway to a second story loft to use the hair dryer there that was permanently attached to a desk)

Guest Bath.jpg

It was nice to have a second bathroom during our stay.

Wardrobe.jpg

There was also a decent sized closet and storage area.

View from our Window.jpg

Our windows looked out onto the Ringstraße

Service

Flowers.jpg

The staff at the hotel was very friendly and enthusiastic.  When I had issues with WifI  (which turned out to be a Verizon issue and not a hotel problem) they spent a lot of time and effort helping me solve the problem. Each of our requests was handled promptly and efficiently.

Dining

Le Moet.jpg

As mentioned, the hotel allowed us to have continental breakfast for room service which was great because all we wanted in the morning was juice, coffee and a croissant or muffin.  We never dined in the restaurant but we did find ourselves on several occasions sitting late at night at the outside tables at Champagne Bar Moet, having a late night snack or a nightcap.  One night, since we had only had late lunch we ordered asparagus soup and fresh asparagus and it was delicious.  Another night our waiter convinced us to try the Kaiserschmarren (Emperor's Mess) a fluffy shredded Austrian pancake. The preparation took 30 minutes, but it was the best dessert we had on our trip.  We were able to walk to all of our other restaurants since the hotel is so perfectly located.

View from Street 4.jpg

As others have noted the location of the hotel is ideal. It is centrally located and close to everything- the Opera, the Albertina Museum (our favorite in Vienna), the Musikverein  and the Museum Quarter. We could walk to the Albertina through a shortcut in the park. And since we were visiting in the Spring we were able to easily stroll over to the Opera house to watch Aida broadcast live on the huge outdoor video screen. We were walking distance to all of our restaurants including a charming new find called Restaurant Grace where we dined at a wonderful outdoor terrace. We were also close to the Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra concert hall. One night when we were walking down the Ringstraße we discovered a lovely old cinema called Burgkino very near the hotel which was playing The Third Man in English. The only place we ubered to was the Belvedere. Another nice thing about the location was the nearby parks.  The hotel sits at the edge of  Schillerpark  and is across the street from Park Burggarten. It is a very safe area and we loved walking through the parks at night.

On May Day we were treated to the sights and sounds of the parade passing by-- we could watch right from our window.

Overall

Le Meridien SIGN.jpg

We really enjoyed our stay at the Le Meridien and plan to book there again on our next visit.  The modern rooms, casual atmosphere, friendly staff and perfect location make it an easy choice. The Viennese would call it gemütlich and we definitely found it a congenial place to stay.

A Pleasant 8 night stay at Le Meridien Vienna

Would you like to write a review on the Le Meridien Wien?

No, thank you.
Yes
SanDiego1K and beltway like this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:28 pm

You did VERY well based on that review! I like the hotel and stay there at least 4 times a year and have been doing so for the last 4 years due to work. As a Platinum, I have yet to see what a suite looks like at the hotel and I’ve never gotten an amenity like you did.....all I get are the Platinum points and the free mini bar since the breakfast is always included in my corporate rate.

Last edited by christianj; Jul 5, 2018 at 5:40 am
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:15 pm

Does anyone here have the hotel email? I want to book 2 rooms on points and I need to email them to ask if I can pay or use my upgrade certificate to add 1 toddler in each room (3 and 5)

thanks
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:37 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by musicscrip
Does anyone here have the hotel email? I want to book 2 rooms on points and I need to email them to ask if I can pay or use my upgrade certificate to add 1 toddler in each room (3 and 5)

thanks

See your messages.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:36 pm

Could you share the hotel email as well? Have an upcoming reservation with a weird request that's more easily managed over email than via phone

Originally Posted by damon88

See your messages.
Old May 9, 2022, 6:50 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Marriott*Plutonium Lifetime, other stuff
Any recent post-COVID experience?

I've been bumped here from the Imperial Riding School...
Old May 11, 2022, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Travellin_man
I've been bumped here from the Imperial Riding School...
I can't comment post-covid but overall this bump should be to your benefit. Better location and better hotel IMHO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.