Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa in Avon, CO [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa in Avon, CO [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2009, 2:41 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Eagle County and town of Avon public transportation

Eagle County's bus service has routes that include EGE airport, Avon Station (the main bus station in Avon right next door to the Westin), Beaver Creek, Vail, and many stops in between. But they do NOT serve Breckenridge and Keystone which are in Summit County. During peak ski times, an express bus goes to/from Vail with fewer stops. Check the maps on the website to understand the different stops in Vail if you aren't already familiar with them. Which stop you choose might depend on which part of Vail you wish to ski.

I don't know whether it would be practical to take the ECO bus from EGE airport to the hotel with luggage.

The town of Avon also runs a free local bus service within the town of Avon. That can easily get you to/from the grocery store, ski rental shops, and local restaurants.

There are some good restaurants in Edwards which you could get to on the ECO buses. I like Dish which might be a few blocks from a bus stop. A taxi might be a better choice.

Local taxi service is available upon request.

Enterprise has a car rental desk in Avon at Christie Lodge (on the free Avon bus route). Looks as if it has limited hours -- especially on weekends -- but this might be a good choice for a trip to Breckenridge, Keystone, or other resorts.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 9:46 pm

Any recent stay reports?
Old Apr 17, 2009, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Second stay here in early April.

Extremely impressive property.
Upgraded to a true one bedroom suite on an award stay as a Plat (same treatment on previous paid stay as a plat).
1 Bed Suites are fantastic - huge, multi couch + fireplace living area, balcony, large screen flat TV above fireplace. Beautiful hard wood floors (carpet in bedroom).
4pm late check out no problem.
Valet parking only is a pain.
Gym, pool and outdoor hot tubs are amazing - you will not begrudge the $20/day resort fee.

The property is beautiful and the kitchens truly well equipped for cooking.
SPG points posted instantly as did Plat amenity.

Will stay here again when we return to Vail for medical reasons in the fall.

Nice bands and lobby scene during the weekend afternoons.

Please post any specific questions and I will try to answer them.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 1:59 am

We really enjoyed our stay...

Positives
Ski Valet guys were fantastic
Parking Valet and Bell Boys nearly as good.
Room really nice as described in previous thread
Access to Beaver Creek mountain very easy via the Gondola and skiing off the mountain just as easy - even if you're tired it's an easy run down from the top then via 'Leave the Beav' to the left of the Ritz Carlton
Pool area and infinite hot tops very nice

Negatives
$25 a day for compulsory valet parking - this soon mounts up.
Housekeeping very poor during our visit. Number of problems only slightly adressed by resort management
No 4pm checkout (SPG Gold). Was told by front of desk I would have to check with them at 10am on the morning of checkout. Well that really doesn't give you much flexibility if you want to squeeze in an extra morning's skiing and then back to the room to shower and change after lunch...
Room service food not very good.

Would we go back? Definitely for skiing, but not with a car and if housekeeping not up to scratch again I would do more to resolve issues.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 7:20 am

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
aussieinsf...

have you ever stayed at the sister property Sheraton? I am deciding between the two for July time period. thanks...
Old Apr 18, 2009, 7:45 am

Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Originally Posted by singtx
aussieinsf...

have you ever stayed at the sister property Sheraton? I am deciding between the two for July time period. thanks...
No brainer - sheraton is far inferior to the Westin and has no aircon
Old Apr 18, 2009, 8:08 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by matthewuk
Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

It's worth saying that that area rarely needs air conditioning. We've stayed at the Sheraton Mountain Vista a couple of times in July (we own there and go every other year), and the fans in the room and ceiling are generally sufficient. Although, not all the time.

Also, the Sheraton's parking is free. As others noted, $25/day for valet adds up fast on a week-long trip.

However, the Westin is shiny new and, for the same price, I'd stay at the Westin.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 1:33 pm

We thought about staying at the Westin last weekend during Beaver Creeks last week of skiing (Easter), but booked at the Osprey at BC instead. That was a good thing, as neither the gondola or the Lower BC Mountain Express lifts were running. I guess those staying at the Westin needed to take a shuttle bus to the slopes.
Old May 25, 2009, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
anyone with recent experiences????my wife & i will be here for a couple of nights next month....
Old May 26, 2009, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by singtx
aussieinsf...

I haven't stayed at the Sheraton, but it's location next to the freeway and the reviews about it suggest it is inferior to the Westin by a fair margin. We looked at both before choosing the westin and since staying there, don't even consider the Sheraton.

Also, the Sheraton has limited SPG participation.
Old May 26, 2009, 10:16 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by aussieinsf
I haven't stayed at the Sheraton, but it's location next to the freeway and the reviews about it suggest it is inferior to the Westin by a fair margin. We looked at both before choosing the westin and since staying there, don't even consider the Sheraton.

Also, the Sheraton has limited SPG participation.
That's because the Sheraton Mountain Vista is a Starwood Vacation Ownership property.

"Inferior" depends on what you're looking for, of course. For one-bedroom units (with a true bedroom and washer/dryer and full kitchen), the premium one-bedroom units are worthwhile. But don't expect Westin amenities as the Sheraton Mountain Vista is not, at its core, designed to be a hotel.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: UA: 1P, SPG: PLT
Anyone with first hand knowledge? We might head up this weekend to see the Avon fireworks (Westin still has rooms available). Do any rooms face away from the river (towards the park) that you could see the fireworks from the room? Might be easier than trying to get into the park they shoot them from and also easier on the young ears of our daughters.

We also might watch some of the Lacrosse, but probably bike and hike.

TIA
Old Aug 20, 2009, 7:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
OK, so despite what appears to be a pretty low occupancy rate, I booked a one-bedroom suite for this weekend (you can put this under the ubiquitous "if you want or need a suite - book one" statement).

I was wondering if there were better any preferences within the hotel location-wise (ie do some have balconies and others not?) that someone would be willing to share. We did book a river/mountain view, but if there is a specific room or side of the hotel to request, it would be much appreciated.

As always, I'll post a stay update.

Regards,

M
Old Aug 20, 2009, 8:20 am

Programs: SPG Plat, DL GM, UA EP
I was in Avon with the family two weeks ago and had a really wonderful experience. Booked two free night award rooms and was upgraded to what I'm pretty sure was the nicest two-bedroom suite (top floor, center, mountain view.)

They originally tried to put me in a one-bed suite with a city view, but upon request (and manager approval), I was upgraded to mountain side.

To your question -- not sure there is a huge difference in terms of east or west side of the building, but procuring a mountain view is huge. The top floors all have small balconies, but if you're overlooking the "city" of Avon it won't be nearly as enjoyable as looking up at Beaver Creek.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Score8
OK, so despite what appears to be a pretty low occupancy rate, I booked a one-bedroom suite for this weekend (you can put this under the ubiquitous "if you want or need a suite - book one" statement).

I was wondering if there were better any preferences within the hotel location-wise (ie do some have balconies and others not?) that someone would be willing to share. We did book a river/mountain view, but if there is a specific room or side of the hotel to request, it would be much appreciated.

As always, I'll post a stay update.

Regards,

M
Old Aug 20, 2009, 2:18 pm

Programs: Starwood and NWA Plat
Originally Posted by matthewuk

We've stayed at the Sheraton a few times and LOVED it every time we did! The rooms were really nice, really nice. It's not the Westin, but it is a really nice alternative with free parking and no resort fee, so if you're on any kind of budget, it's a great alternative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.