Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa in Avon, CO [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa in Avon, CO [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ismann
- Parking: Is there still not any self-park option on property or nearby? Are we really just stuck with the valet option?
Last weekend I took Mrs BBFD to the Park Hyatt in Beaver Creek to burn the last of my points and we attempted to stop by the Westin just to check it out for future reference. I could not find a parking spot anywhere near the property to use just for a few minutes so the chances of finding anything close and overnight is likely out.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BBFD
Last weekend I took Mrs BBFD to the Park Hyatt in Beaver Creek to burn the last of my points and we attempted to stop by the Westin just to check it out for future reference. I could not find a parking spot anywhere near the property to use just for a few minutes so the chances of finding anything close and overnight is likely out.
Thanks for the information. I have to say I'm pretty surprised to encounter effectively mandatory valet (by virtue of self-park costing double) at a non-city hotel. You'd think they could at least have a different policy in the off-season.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: US Airways CP; SPG P; HHonors S; Delta GM
Stayed there last night. No self-park option, valet only @ $25 per night. Nice hotel with a very nice exercise room (Westin Athletic Club). One of the nicest I have seen anywhere.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 5:48 pm

Anyone know what type of suite you get here with a C+P suites booking? And any opinion if this is a good way to go - or perhaps just book standard room and ask hotel for upgrade options?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Trip Review: Westin Riverfront Resort and Spa in Beaver Creek

“Front Desk Service Quality Lacking”

3 of 5 stars
The pros to this property are many: fantastic architecture and beautiful interiors. Excellent location in Beaver Creek. The rooms are very nice. Matt the concierge does a fantastic job. The health club and infiniti hot tubs are great. The restaurants and food on property are excellent.

Too bad the experience with the front desk does not match the overall impression one receives from the rest of the property.

I could tell right off the bat when at check-in, the front desk clerk (a young man) did not greet me. I walked up and had to ask if he was working at that time.

Though it was after 5pm and I had been guaranteed a suite several days before (as a Platinum SPG member using Suite Nights), the clerk advised that my room wasn't ready yet, though I was "welcome to store your bags with our bell desk until it's ready".

I explained that I had been traveling all day and that I couldn't understand why a room wasn't ready at 5:30pm on my date of check in. He was taken aback from my resistance and stated, "It's actually 5:11pm, not 5:30pm, and we can't help it - some guests choose to stay longer than others". He did not offer a complimentary drink in the bar while I waited.

I resolved the issue by speaking with a front desk manager who did promptly offer me a different suite in the property and though he didn't bother to change the room in his computer (causing confusion later on with the concierge and bar who still showed me checked in to the wrong room), I was pleased that I could get into a room after a long day of travel.

My flight out of town left after 5pm on my last day at the hotel, so I requested a standard 4pm check-out (an amenity that is not guaranteed at some SPG properties, but is rarely turned down for Platinum members). Imagine my surprise when the clerk (who was wearing a management shirt) explained that a late check out would not be available to me due to guests checking in that day in my reserved room. I explained that I found it unusual that I was being asked to wait until after 6pm to check IN to the hotel on my day of arrival but obligated to leave at 11am on the day I checked OUT. He said "Look, we don't want to propagate or continue this process of having guests like you having to wait for the rooms to be cleaned."

Ouch. Maybe a better management decision would have been to "catch up" on the room turns on a customer who wasn't inconvenienced at check in the first go-round?

Anyway, I realize this is not a huge problem; but I found it below a service standard that should be par for the course at a $600/nt+ resort.

Stayed January 2014
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Exec Premier, SPG Platinum, AmEx Platinum
Originally Posted by ruahamore
Anyone know what type of suite you get here with a C+P suites booking? And any opinion if this is a good way to go - or perhaps just book standard room and ask hotel for upgrade options?
Suites are definitely different than standard rooms. Rooms are hotel rooms and not that spacious. Suites are definitely more spacious.

And yes, customer service at this property is touch and go. If you have a bad experience like the poster above, please give them feedback—they need it.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Any recent reports on what the Plat alternate amenity is in lieu of the $20 daily resort fee? Drawing a blank from 3 years ago.

Edit - still the same pathetic 100 points a day?

Last edited by UA-NYC; Feb 16, 2014 at 2:09 pm
Old Feb 16, 2014, 8:08 pm

Programs: US CP, AA Plat, DL Silver, EY Gold, Kimpton IC, SPG Plat
I believe self parking is only available if you're staying at the Villas. I pay the extra few dollars to leave it with the valet.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tangel
I believe self parking is only available if you're staying at the Villas. I pay the extra few dollars to leave it with the valet.
This is correct as of December
Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Stayed at this hotel for President's Day weekend. It is a very nice property with convenient gondola access to the mountain, but I am generally disappointed by the way they treat their guests, especially SPG elite members.

They did not offer any Platinum amenity to me at check-in. I asked the next day and they offered either 500 points or breakfast. I chose breakfast and then had to prompt them to give me a separate food & beverage voucher to make up for the day that I missed because they didn't offer me the amenity at the beginning.

They did not waive the $20 resort fee. The valet parking costs $25/day. There is self-parking, but they say it costs $50/day.

There is a nice ski valet setup - they check not only your skis and poles but also your boots. Convenient, except they lost my boots the first day and didn't find them until I checked out. I didn't care because they were rentals and they comped me a nicer boot & ski rental set for the duration of my stay, but what if those had been my own boots??
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I should buy a lottery ticket

...as my SNA for a 3 night stay next week cleared right at 5 days out

More impressive given that the hotel was sold out of my upgraded room type just yesterday (and sold out entirely 2 days ago), and from what I could tell there was just a single upgraded room for sale (and at $1K/night). Not complaining! ^
Old Mar 8, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: SPG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
...as my SNA for a 3 night stay next week cleared right at 5 days out

More impressive given that the hotel was sold out of my upgraded room type just yesterday (and sold out entirely 2 days ago), and from what I could tell there was just a single upgraded room for sale (and at $1K/night). Not complaining! ^
Wow... nice. This property gets a lot of mixed reviews, and my stay was not without issues.... while it could be much better, I still loved staying here. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

If any high-end dining fits your needs, I'd highly recommend Splendido at the Chateau.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Travel Pro
Wow... nice. This property gets a lot of mixed reviews, and my stay was not without issues.... while it could be much better, I still loved staying here. I'm sure you'll have a great time.
Yup, was there a few years back...I know Plat treatment is dodgy, but I can deal, esp. since the room UG was more than I was expecting.

Do you (or anyone else) know what the Plat breakfast is here? My last stay was before that benefit change.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
.....I know Plat treatment is dodgy, but I can deal, esp. since the room UG was more than I was expecting....
Rather baffling to me. Room upgrade is the most important part of Platinum treatment.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TerryK
Rather baffling to me. Room upgrade is the most important part of Platinum treatment.
Clarification - I'm a step up already as I don't have to bocker for an UG at the desk if space was available ^

But - they still give Plats the shaft when it comes to an alternate amenity (100 points a night? GMAB). And I'm assuming the minimum on breakfast...I'll report back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.