Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Boston: which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boston: which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:23 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
How's the breakfast experience at the Boston hotels? The Platinum Breakfast thread is pretty outdated.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by lcpteck
How's the breakfast experience at the Boston hotels? The Platinum Breakfast thread is pretty outdated.
I recently stayed at the Westin Copley. Great location. Huge lounge with nice offerings.

Last edited by KENNECTED; Jul 28, 2017 at 6:44 am
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:28 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I've stayed at the Liberty (reviewed on FT), W (reviewed on FT), and LM Cambridge MIT (reviewed on FT) all this spring 2017, as well as Sheraton Boston, Westin Copley, and Sheraton Commander in the last two years.

To me, the best hard product is the W and LM Arlington. The Liberty has air con issues; otherwise it has a great hard product too. The Sheraton Boston and Westin Copley are more huge convention type hotels, and both are a bit dated. The Sheraton Commander Cambridge is a nice more boutique heritage feeling hotel, recently renovated.

Service at the Liberty and W have been problematic, though the management at the Liberty showcase all that is wrong with a supposed luxury hotel. The W management responded better IMO.

The LM Cambridge MIT is the best overall service of the bunch IME. Very responsive, very interested in helping guests. Food/beverage is better but could still use work, but the Central Square location has tons of nearby restaurants.

The Liberty has great food/beverage and Clink is one of my favorite restaurants on the city. The W food/beverage is pretty good too. The others are pretty comparable overall to me.

Obviously, the Sheraton Commander is right in the middle of Harvard Square, so there are tons of great restaurants nearby. The W, Sheraton Boston, and Westin Copley also have tons of nearby restaurants. The Liberty is the most separated, but takes just a 5-10 min Uber ride or easy T ride to get to great restaurants.

Location depends on what you want, and where you want to be.
Tokyoite likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 27, 2017 at 7:05 pm
Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Stayed at th Sheraton recently and with rates so CRAZY high like 575 plus taxes ect. I used the 12k points to get like over 5 cpp redemption there. Didn't realize how high Boston gets in the summer, wow.

Rooms dated some, yes, but the lounge was very nice and renovated. Breakfast wasn't the full monty, more continental almost with scrambled eggs. Parking is expensive as hell at 46 for valet w/ in and out.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
Maybe I should stay 1 night at The Liberty Hotel since it's only 4k Starpoints more.
The Liberty is a no brainer over the Copley. Liberty is a unique property vs the Copley is just well another Westin - nothing unique about (but it has a better than average gym, whereas the gym at the Liberty is borderline Holiday Inn-bad.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by RafKa
Have an upcoming 1-night stay. Rates for the night are exactly the same. I've stayed at the Sheraton about 5 yrs ago, and have bad memories of overcrowded elevators in rush hour and a very meh Club Lounge. Seems like I wasm't given a room on club floor with the express elevator. And from what I read here, has the lounge vastly improved?

Anyway - never stayed at the Westin. Which one should I choose?
Probably far too late for the OP, but during my recent stay at the Westin Copley Place I also experienced ridiculously crowded elevators. Stopping 7-8 times on my way up/down was the rule rather than the exception.

I wasn't happy with my stay - I posted about my experience in the main Westin Copley Place thread.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:04 am

For what it’s worth, I really enjoyed my stay at the Liberty despite the ridiculous rates (470ish per night).

Some of the things I liked:

1. [Plat] Breakfast – You get to choose two items off of their menu which then get plated nicely with coffee + juice. I had sunny side up + bacon which I found yummy.

2. Ambiance of the hotel – the photos you come across on the web don’t do it justice. I found the lobby area quite awesome.

3. Service level. Good all around particularly the front desk staff & restaurant staff @ Clink. Bell hops can do better. I understand from previous posts that management can be a pain in resolving issues but so long as nothing bad happens that require management attention, all is well. Even the bar attendants were very cozy, particularly if they recognize that you’re an in-house guest.

4. Location – not sure why many here think that the location of Liberty is sub-par. It is a few steps away from Beacon Hill where there’re plenty restaurants, cafes etc.

5. Very nice rooms with good deco and a massive TV.

6. The hiphop DJ on weekend nights – this may not be your thing, but I loved it. Coming back to my hotel late at night with lines of local folks in front of the hotel out to enjoy a weekend night-out.. but being able to cut through the lines & red-rope because the bouncers (somehow) recognize you to be hotel guests (we’re in our mid-thirties so it’s not like we were picked out for being older looking), walking into a lobby with thumping music and dancing locals… we were exhausted from a full day of walking but got all pumped up again that we ended up ordering a few drinks and shaking it up with the locals for a while. We weren’t properly dressed (sneakers and jeans from walking all day) but that didn’t seem to bother anyone.. if anything, we got better service from the bar staff as they knew we were in-house guests. At the brink of collapsing due to low energy levels, it was nice to take a quick elevator up to crash in our comfy beds.

Things I didn’t like:

1. The rates. What’s with the facility fee of 20 odd dollars plus taxes per night???

2. The shampoo/body wash dispenser in the shower was a refillable type and it was dirty and sticky from the previous user. If you’re going to use a refillable dispenser, fine, but make sure you get ur housekeeping to clean it so it doesn’t look too darn obvious.

Last edited by jaejaez; Aug 8, 2017 at 4:31 am
Old Jul 30, 2017, 4:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Based on my recent experiences at the Boston area Starwood properties, I disagree with you. Just because the entries are anywhere from one to three years old does not make them outdated. They appear to be current based on my experience.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I recently stayed at the Westin Copley. Great location. Huge lounge with nice offerings.
Originally Posted by controller1
Based on my recent experiences at the Boston area Starwood properties, I disagree with you. Just because the entries are anywhere from one to three years old does not make them outdated. They appear to be current based on my experience.
Thanks for the info. ^
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
any new experiences? looking at the W next week

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.