Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Phoenician, Scottsdale/Phoenix [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Phoenician, Scottsdale/Phoenix [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
So was it a ghost town or not? You've got me wondering now after that post!!!
Well, there were a few people on the golf course and various folks walking around in the entrance way off Camelback Road, so not a ghost town.

However, the Phoenician does a good bit of local business at the course and their restaurants, so perhaps the rooms are empty.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Wilbur
I plan to bike over and see if the place is a ghost town today, in light of Apple canceling their event after booking the entire hotel.

http://www.cringely.com/2012/10/19/w...mpeting-event/

"Apple booked the entire hotel (600+ rooms) for Sunday through Wednesday. Their setup people were on site Tuesday. Late Wednesday, as setup was nearing completion, Apple told the resort that they “wanted all of their managers to be on site in their stores next Tuesday for the upcoming tablet release” – that they were canceling the function."

I wonder if they will re-sell the rooms?
Now I see why The Phoenician shows up on the front page of spg.com as "Last-Minute Getaway" for Oct 20-25.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by Wilbur
Well, there were a few people on the golf course and various folks walking around in the entrance way off Camelback Road, so not a ghost town.

However, the Phoenician does a good bit of local business at the course and their restaurants, so perhaps the rooms are empty.
We were staying there on Sunday (checked out Monday), so the claim that Apple booked the entire hotel is a little dubious to me. I wouldn't say it was a ghost town at all. While it was definitely more crowded at the pool on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, there were plenty of people around on Sunday as well.

As for our stay - I would definitely recommend the resort for a family getaway. I booked 2 rooms and was able to use SNAs for one. They put us in a Casita suite with the adjoining room. The parlor area had a full kitchen and dining table, as well as a full bathroom. We were also very conveniently located to the pool area, the spa/workout center and the golf course. Our view was of the pool / lake area which was really nice.

Unlike some others, we were unimpressed by the food at Relish. Although it's much more reasonably priced than the other on-site restaurants, we did see some familiar menu items crop up at the pool that are also available at Relish. The pool food was below average in my opinion, particularly considering the prices. I selected the breakfast option as a platinum benefit which was great - it gave breakfast for 2 for each morning of our stay. You had the option of the continental (choice of cereal, choice of yogurt, a muffin, croissant, and pastry as well as a beverage) or a $14 credit toward another menu item. (Omelets were around $15).

The golf course was pretty nice. The greens were in great shape. October is overseeding season, so the canyon course was closed and the oasis and desert courses were cart path only (which was way more annoying than I thought it would be). I played twilight at 1pm for 1/2 the regular price and would definitely suggest that if it's not too hot at that time of day (depending on when you're there). Also, included in the resort fee (waived for plat) is 1/2 price on the driving range. I definitely took advantage of that on days when I didn't play. For $15 they load you up with a cart and a couple bottles of water and send you out to the range. I would hit balls for an hour or so, then head to the pool.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: Household of Delta GM & PM, SWA RR CP, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold, Budget RZ
Staying here in May 10-12 and thinking about getting a Cabana at the pool. Anyone rented one here before? Worth the money?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone can comment on the frequency and quality of platinum upgrades. Just booked 4 nights down there in mid June at my ridiculously low corporate rate of $114 per night! I realize it is low season down there with the heat, but it was too good a deal to pass up along with cheap flights from YYC to enjoy a little shopping/R&R.

Currently, I am being offered an upgrade using SNAs of a casita suite with or without pool view or a deluxe suite. Anyone have any preference with one vs the other? Given I have an upcoming 5 week vacation to Europe and Asia this summer, I would be more inclined to use bulk of my SNAs then and roll the dice for this stay if there was a decent chance of an upgrade.

Having previously stayed at the Canyon Suites around 18 months ago, I'm looking forward to another positive experience at this property.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
Just returned from a fantastic stay at the Phoenician. We had originally booked for 3 nights and with some help from William was able to finally use some SNAs and was booked into a premiere executive suite.

We had previously stayed at the Canyon Suites approx 18 months ago and were very happy with that stay which is why we decided to return coupled with a fantastic room rate given it is low season.

Upon check-in we were greeted by a very friendly front desk clerk who explained the platinum amenities including the waived resort fee and the breakfast benefit that we selected which was good for $33 at Il Terrazo. I should note that we ate the buffet which was $25 plus tax and tip each morning and were only charged the difference one of three mornings.

The suite was awesome... it had to have been at least 1500 sq ft with a monstrous terrace, 2 huge bathrooms and a separate living area with dining table which was all separate from the bedroom which was on the other side of the suite. The suite was very tastefully decorated and had 2 large flat screen TVs. A couple of minor gripes would be the lack of turndown service 2 of the 3 nights and also some haphazard housekeeping - ie a bottle of wine with 1/4 remaining would be removed, but empty beer cans would not. As well, half a leftover pizza in a takeout box from dinner the night before was removed the last morning despite the fact that we were checking out later that morning.

Other than that, the stay was great. I decided to actually stay an additional four nights by myself as my wife had to return home on the Sunday. Unfortunately I was not able to keep the suite which wasn't a big deal as I didn't need that much space. I was given the standard room type and after dropping my wife off at the airport my bags had been delivered to my room

Most of the trip was spent lounging by the pool which was very quiet with the exception of Saturday as I assume a lot of locals tend to stay there on the wknds for mini-staycations. Service at the pool was great day in and day out with water jugs never being below half as the staff were constantly refilling them.

We ended up eating at all restaurants on site. During the week for breakfast at Il Terrazo, there was no buffet and each meal I ordered was tasty and service was great. I also had one dinner there which was quite good. We ate dinner at J&G one night and much like last time I was there, I felt a little underwhelmed. Service wasn't great given the price you pay. They do have a decent prix fixe 3 course menu for $39. I also ate at the Relish Burger Bistro on three occasions. They have a great happy hour menu and service was always attentive.

Overall, after having spent 7 nights there I didn't want to leave, but all good things must come to an end. In my opinion, it is great value given the low rate, no resort fee, and free breakfasts and parking. I'm already thinking of coming back for a few nights in late August/early September.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Oct 2013 - 5 Night Stay

My wife, 2 year old and I just spent 5 nights at The Phoenician the last week of October.

SPG Status: Platinum

Booked: Award Stay (5th Night Free + Additional 35% Off using an Award for making Platinum)

Upgrade?: Not given, as they were apparently full due to some conferences. We were given a room on the 6th floor facing the Mountain, though. Much better than facing the valet parking, though we may have preferred facing the pool.

Breakfast Amenity: 5 vouchers for breakfast at Il Terrazzo for 2 people each morning. How the vouchers are applied depends on your server each morning. More detail below.

Late Checkout: Proactively offered

Resort Fee: Waived for being Platinum, but includes free wifi, etc.

Parking: Valet is available but optional. Instead, we chose the free self park which places you right below the lobby.

Breakfast at Il Terrazzo: If you're a Platinum, you're entitled to a a voucher good for a "Complimentary Continental Breakfast (cereal, yogurt, pastries)." We had breakfast each morning there and had the same server 4 times.

She offered us an alternative option which gave us $16/person of credit on our final bill no matter what we ordered. The "sneaky" part was that the $16 was really (a) $14 off a menu item plus (b) another $2 for the tax/tip. So for a hypothetical example, if we ordered two $16 egg benedicts, a $5 OJ and a $7 kid's pancakes, the bill would come out to $48.00 after tax/tip, but I'd get $33 off, so I'd be charged $15.00. There was also one time my wife actually ordered the "Continental breakfast" and they originally charged us for individual items that should have been included like juice, fruit and pastries, but when we notified them, the extraneous charges were removed.

However, another server (who seems to have more experience/internal standing) told us to order anything we liked including drinks/sides and a kid's breakfast. According to him, "as long as we don't go crazy on the sides," he would make sure we got everything complimentary on the voucher. We didn't even see the bill at the end.

Clearly we preferred the latter, but we didn't get him as a server until the end of our stay.

Room: Was exceptionally large for a standard king bedroom. It also had a beautiful bathroom with Remede bath amenities (usually found at St Regis). It was a bit of a walk from our room to the rest of the hotel property, but we didn't mind the leisurely stroll every day.

Service: Exceptional! This made our stay as great as it was. Every single person from the valet, to the pool side waiter, to the bartender at Relish Burger bar really treated you like you were a VIP, even if we were dressed way to casually compared to the regular clientele we saw at the resort.

We loved our stay so much we're thinking of having our daughter's wedding there in 2037.

Last edited by Songer5; Nov 15, 2013 at 2:16 pm
Old May 22, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriot, Alaska Air, AAdvantage, Hilton Honors Diamond, British Airways
Great property and service

I'm a Platinum here for memorial day weekend. Check in was fast and efficient, recognized as a Platinum, upgraded to a suite and resort fee waived.

Nice change from the W where I usually stay!
Old May 22, 2014, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by dqdude
I'm a Platinum here for memorial day weekend. Check in was fast and efficient, recognized as a Platinum, upgraded to a suite and resort fee waived.

Nice change from the W where I usually stay!
This is my go to resort in the Phoenix area. I have stayed as a Plat about 20 times over the past year. In all my stays as a guest there I have gotten a casita suita once. All other stays varied from no upgrade to a 1-2 catagory change for a better view. Every stay has been on points here, so I don't know if this hurts my chances??? Actually in all my stays as a platinum (60 or so since I became a plat) the only suite upgrade was here.

Is there a lesser chance of upgrades if stays are done on points over paying cash or c&p?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 1:47 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Just booked a 1-night stay at the Canyon Suites at the Phoencian (I live locally and rates are 50%+ off during summer here.

I have no status with Starwood, but Platinum status with Delta, which gives me a few perks like late check-out, etc.

I booked a regular room and was upgraded to a 1br suite with a 2pm checkout...no resort fee...wow.

Totally impressed with the attention to detail here. I will definitely be back.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Hyatt Globalist ; National Exe; Avis Preferred; Delta Diamond
Has anyone stayed at The Phoenician, Scottsdale recently? Do they waive the resort charge for Platinum?

Taking my first trip to AZ next month for a quick stay to check out this property then return with the family over Haloween weekend. . .need to get in some last minute stays to requalify for Plat next year
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You might be able to get extra stays by switching between the Phoenicain and the Canyon Suites at the Phoenician; they seem to be run as separate hotels on the same resort compound. The hotels even provide a shuttle between the Canyon Suites front entrance and the main building of the Phoenician, although it's a short and easy walk too.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Hyatt Globalist ; National Exe; Avis Preferred; Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You might be able to get extra stays by switching between the Phoenicain and the Canyon Suites at the Phoenician; they seem to be run as separate hotels on the same resort compound. The hotels even provide a shuttle between the Canyon Suites front entrance and the main building of the Phoenician, although it's a short and easy walk too.
Thx but The Canyon Suites is a cat 6 and bit more expensive. . I was planning a couple quick weekend flights to PHX since did a Southwest airlines deal for points and companion status where my DH & I can fly nearly free. The Phoenicain seems to have lots of availability for C&P & looks BEAUTIFUL.

Just wondering about Plat perks, breakfast, waived resort fee or not. . . Also interested in thoughts on the dinning options and happy hours / drink specials. . thinking of trying the J&B Steakhouse since was listed on SPG Dining for 10% off.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:25 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Originally Posted by Hvanv0405
Thx but The Canyon Suites is a cat 6 and bit more expensive. . I was planning a couple quick weekend flights to PHX since did a Southwest airlines deal for points and companion status where my DH & I can fly nearly free. The Phoenicain seems to have lots of availability for C&P & looks BEAUTIFUL.

Just wondering about Plat perks, breakfast, waived resort fee or not. . . Also interested in thoughts on the dinning options and happy hours / drink specials. . thinking of trying the J&B Steakhouse since was listed on SPG Dining for 10% off.
From my C&P stay earlier this year, the resort fee was waived and breakfast was either the continental buffet or cash amount towards full buffet. Room upgrade to Grand Deluxe - which is a large sized room overlooking the pool and valley. J&G Steakhouse was excellent. Overall, a great hotel.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Hvanv0405

I've only stayed in Canyon Suites, but I remember a wine store in the main building (roughly at the beginning of the shopping mall area) that had some late afternoon free wine tastings. You might want to check on this.

I also recommend trying to do the cactus garden walking tour if it's offered on a day you're there. IIRC you should make a reservation with the concierge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.