Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Phoenician, Scottsdale/Phoenix [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Phoenician, Scottsdale/Phoenix [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2008, 9:00 am

I need a one night stay on September 1 and then again on September 8. I will just take a look around and check rates. My flight does not get in to Phoenix until almost midnight on the 8th and I have another flight on the 9th around noon, so I only want a place to sleep that night!

Thanks for your help, though!
Old Jul 18, 2008, 9:06 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
You really wont be able to enjoy much of the Phoenician on a such short stay even if you would consider staying there again. I would suggest something closer to the airport like the Sheraton or Four Points. Both offer free airport transport.

Welcome to FT.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 5:49 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, MSC Dia, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
Thumbs up

I agree with Linda1962... we will not be staying at the Phoenician again.

My husband and I cashed in some points for a 1-night getaway Saturday, July 5th ... for our one-year anniversary. We were debating between the Phoenician or Westin Kierland, and opted for the Phoenician since I figured it would feel more like we were at a luxury resort than a business resort. Hmmmph!

I was also hoping we might get upgraded since I'm plat. Hmmph! We tried to check in early at 2pm, the front desk rep (who probably just started the day before) said it wasn't ready and they'd call when it was. They did call around... 3:45pm. I asked about the upgrade and they advised that we were upgraded to a Casita room.

Then I asked if we would receive a platinum amenity, the new front desk rep said that "they don't really participate in the SPG program, so there are no platinum amenities". Hmmmmph! So no 500 pts. He also thought there were upgraded bathroom amenities in our room. (There wasn't. We think he just made that up..) We asked what capacity the resort was at, he said 90%. But then advised that it's not real as they are renovating approx 50% of the rooms. Ha!

Long story short... the room was okay. Basically I think the upgrade was that it wasn't in the main building. But yes, parking was kinda rough.

Next day tried to check out, the TV said we had a bill. So i called the front desk they mistakenly charged $150 to our room. Took another 45 minutes for the phone rep to call a mgr to reverse the charges.

No Plat recognition... no name recognition... no one asked if we were celebrating anything special (we were!).. no fruit basket.

But.. I did get an email survey and I filled it out appropriately. And this morning, I did receive an email that they were crediting my account 10k spg pts. ^
Old Jul 29, 2008, 7:18 pm

Travelista,
I am sorry your stay at the Phoenician did not meet your standards. I do not know what type of room you booked, but a casita room is considered an upgrade from lower categories. However if you do feel you were not upgraded properly contact Corporate Customer Service (CCS) at 1-800-328-6242 and they should be able to help you. Also, as this is a luxury collection property they do not offer, nor do any Luxury Collection or St Regis Hotels, a welcome amenity of 500 points. You should have received a local hotel amenity and I am sorry you did not get one. I hope you feel the 10K points are suitable for your problems. If your travels bring you back to the Scottsdale area, you should defiantly check out the new W Scottsdale. Happy Anniversary too.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
Just completed 3 day stay at Phoenician...stay elsewhere!

...and I was more than a little disappointed. I had previously stayed at the Westin Kierland and liked it a lot, but decided to try the Phoenician. Mistake!

1. The hallway our room was on smelled TERRIBLY of mold. Not slight, but hit-you-in-the-face moldiness.

2. There was peeling paint all over the room, and we found 2 cigarette butts on the balcony floor.

3. We got so much ridiculous, conflicting information from the staff. We asked early the first morning where we could get coffee to go. The person at the front desk said that the ice cream parlor which is normally open was closed because "there's such low occupancy at the hotel." We walked there anyway to walk by the shops, and low and behold the ice cream parlor was open. We mentioned this to the woman working there, and she said it was closing later in the week because of low occupancy, along with several of the shops. I"ve never heard of such a thing! Closing because of low occupancy? Great way to screw over those few guests you do have!

4. We were exhausted when we arrived from the East Coast, and all we wanted was a quick bite to eat. We asked the concierge where around the resort we could eat, and she told us that the only places we could get food were the italian restaurant and the steak house. We asked about something more casual - a cafe or whatnot - and we were told that was the only place we could get food. Oddly enough, we went to the pool the next morning and were given a menu with food! We went to the Thirsty Camel, and there was a menu with food. We sat out by the fire pits on the terrace, menu with food!

5. Went to the Thirsty Camel one afternoon and got a drink with Hangar One Rasperry vodka and soda. It's rare to see at a bar and fantastic. Ordered a drink and watched bartender pour, and I was shocked to see that what was coming out of the bottle was barely red. I tasted it, and it had definitely been "watered down" (with regular vodka). The check came, and I almost fell off of my seat at the $25 price tag - for one drink in the afternoon. Next evening a parental unit ordered a Hangar One Pear with soda. The bill came, and it was $11! I went to talk to the front desk about the discrepancy, and they said that there wasn't much they could do.

6. Front desk told us that we'd be better off valet parking our car since the self park was "very far from [your] room." Valet parked the first day, then checked out the self parking. We parked next to the elevator in the self park every day after that, and got from car to room in under 3 minutes each time.

7. Lawn bowling and croquet were both missing parts/balls/things necessary to play. We asked a staff member walking by from the pool, and he said that things had been missing for a while. "Sorry, I don't know what to tell you."

8. The pillows and beds were terrible.

9. Decided to try the steakhouse one night, and went to the concierge to ask about a reservation. She said we should have one, and we asked her to make it for us. She went onto opentable and tried to make one there. Opentable! The restaurant was in the hotel. I understand that it's not owned/run by the hotel, but still. It's 2 floors up, and our request for a window table may have been honored if they had called from the concierge desk. When we arrived, they said they didn't see any notation for a table near a window and that none were available.

10. Oh, and we were told we were given an upgraded room with bigger beds. The only beds smaller that one can purchase are twin beds. I thought about asking for a Casita room as a platinum member after we were told about the "low occupancy," but decided not to as I'd read of the horrible experiences that platinum guests have had there.

SPG, dump this property or knock it down two categories!

I can see how the Phoenician may have been nice back in the day, but it's a total waste of points/money now and is coasting on an old reputation. I can honestly say that I won't be going back.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 6:00 pm

Programs: AMEX, Hyatt, AA
We are planning to stay here for one night in April on points. I am SPG Gold. I will be with my wife and 9 and 11 year old kids. The purpose is to relax and enjoy. From reading these recent reviews, I wonder if we would be better off at another hotel.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 6:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by catonis
. . . From reading these recent reviews, I wonder if we would be better off at another hotel.
Yes. Westin Kierland if you want to be near off-property shopping and dining; Sheraton Wild Horse Pass if those options aren't important to you. Both are superior to The Phoenician in its current state.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 10:18 pm

thechosenuno, I'm sorry your stay was not perfect and you had some problems. The fact that the staff were giving you inaccurate information is unacceptable and should be dealt with. Also, your upgrade, it sounds like you were't upgraded to the best room so you should take it up with Customer Service at toll-free at 1-800-328-6242 or send them an email at [email protected].

catonis, Travels the World mentioned the Westin Kierland which is great, and you may like it better. If you have any questions feel free to ask
Old Feb 25, 2009, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by catonis
We are planning to stay here for one night in April on points. I am SPG Gold. I will be with my wife and 9 and 11 year old kids. The purpose is to relax and enjoy. From reading these recent reviews, I wonder if we would be better off at another hotel.
Definintely stay at the Westin Kierland. I've stayed at both now, and I'd gladly stay at the Westin again. They even have a lazy river!
Old Feb 25, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Sounds as though people are really down on the Phoenician. Is this a relative assessment or an absolute one. In other words, if you were staying for four nights at each (8 total nights) sequentially, would you scrap the Phoenician and stay only at the Kierland for eight nights?

FWIW, I have two at the Wildhorse, three at the Phoenician and three at the Kierland - all in combos of cash, points and c+p.

M
Old Feb 25, 2009, 9:21 am

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Yes. Westin Kierland if you want to be near off-property shopping and dining; Sheraton Wild Horse Pass if those options aren't important to you. Both are superior to The Phoenician in its current state.
Plus the Westin Kierland is moving down as of March 2 so your points stay will cost a bit less...
Old Feb 25, 2009, 9:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Score8
In other words, if you were staying for four nights at each (8 total nights) sequentially, would you scrap the Phoenician and stay only at the Kierland for eight nights?
I would.

FWIW, I have two at the Wildhorse, three at the Phoenician and three at the Kierland - all in combos of cash, points and c+p.
I would probably look at three nights Wild Horse; five Kierland, not evenly split primarily because there isn't much to do in the Wild Horse area of town.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 11:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
Haven't stayed at the Phoenician, mostly based on the bad rep from this and other threads. But I'd second the suggestion of making the Kierland the main base. Versus the Wild Horse it's got a lot more to do in the hotel itself as well as in the surrounding area. Plus you get breakfast in the lounge and a voucher for an evening drink at the Kierland.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 12:57 pm

Sounds as though people are really down on the Phoenician. Is this a relative assessment or an absolute one. In other words, if you were staying for four nights at each (8 total nights) sequentially, would you scrap the Phoenician and stay only at the Kierland for eight nights?

M
I wouldn't go back to the Phoenician even if someone else paid for it.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 4:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I mean this with all sincerity (I say this 'cause what I am about to say sounds sarcastic even though I don't want it to...):

Thank you all for your definitive and succinct opinions. They are very helpful in saving me from some issues...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.