Westin Times Square [Master Thread]

Old May 13, 2003, 4:53 pm

Location: Meerbusch, Germany, Amex Centurion, SPG Plat, LH FTL,, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
PressRDC: That sound´s good... I am looking forward and will let you know how it was.
Old May 13, 2003, 6:11 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM, SPG Plat Lifetime, Marriott Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond
Spend 2 nights on weekend at the TS about 1 mounth ago. Got upgraded to one of the Junior suite on the 42nd floor without asking. We really enjoyed this hotel. The view was great! I found the staff very polite and professionnal. Also appreciated the additional security level at the entrance.

Only negative comments would be about the size of the sink in the bathroom (way too small) and the food served at breakfast (trays were often empty)
Old Jun 14, 2003, 8:35 am

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
please disregard; started a new topic

[This message has been edited by ILUVCITIBANK (edited 06-14-2003).]
Old Jun 14, 2003, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Catman:
It's no big deal but strange that I still have not managed to get an upgrade at this property as a Platinum.</font>
Don't forget that the hotel does have a bad suites to rooms ratio of 30-something to 800-something.

d
Old Jun 15, 2003, 9:30 pm

Programs: Used to be elite in UA, SPG and Hertz...now I'm just a regular guy
I just got back from a one-night stay here. Staff was incredibly friendly. I actually got to the hotel about 10 a.m. so I figured I would have to check my bags and come back later to check-in. Nope, my Club level room was already waiting for me. The decor is very nice (as others have said, very W-like). My room faced the Port Authority Bus Station across the street but noise was not a problem. They did have me down for the wrong room rate ($239 vs. $199) but that was quickly ironed out. Got free breakfast coupons and a free drink coupon for Bar 10 downstairs. I know others have complained about the surroundings, but I like the funkiness and grittiness of Times Square. Oh, three different maids came by to offer turn-down service (no problem, but it was a little bit of overkill). This hotel instantly becomes my Starwood destination of choice in NYC.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 9:39 pm

raisin,
did you happen to visit the club level lounge ? any comments regarding this lounge facility ? for starters, were your breakfast coupons related to your status (assume PLAT), or because the lounge was closed and this was the alternative ?

also, I did not see any mention of an indoor pool here, but for the record, do you or anyone know of pool facilities at this Westin ?

[This message has been edited by ILUVCITIBANK (edited 06-15-2003).]
Old Jun 16, 2003, 12:01 am

Check into the Westin 10 days ago using Cash and Points. Well, I'm not that lucky this year. Neither suite nor club level for me as the hotel was fully booked that night. The checkin agent was very nice and tried for about 5 mins to get me an upgrade room but no dice. The lounge was under "construction" so coupons were given for drinks and breakfast. All in all, a steal for 4,000 points and $60.
Old Jun 16, 2003, 7:03 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by raisin:
I know others have complained about the surroundings, but I like the funkiness and grittiness of Times Square.</font>
i live about 20 blocks away and i can categorically say that this hotel isn't, in fact, located in Times Square. and, Times Square isn't gritty. it's Disney-like now.

the hotel in which you stayed is, as you correctly mentioned, caddy corner to Port Authority. PA is, on the other hand, very...."gritty."

if you want to stay in Times Squre, the W Hotel is your only Starwood option.

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited 06-16-2003).]
Old Jun 16, 2003, 10:32 am

OnePassLover, based on your comment, I called today, 6/16, directly to Westin and was told the lounge opens "today" again after some sort of renovation/retrofit. Person I spoke to couldn't really explain what they did, and half-heartedly agreedwith my observation that it was odd to be doing any renovation since the property is less than 9mo old. But - presumably they *added* some feature, fixture, furniture, or whatever. I can understand *adding* something, maybe enhancing it based on early feedback. So, lounge should be open now.

FlyCo, I've figured out the Westin is a trek of "x" blocks to get to what I know true Times Sq (ie outside the front door of the "W") to be. Given this, can you confirm how many walking blocks, say, from the front door of the Westin to the ticket outlet in front of W and/or Starbucks ? My trip is shaping up to be a Westin stay more and more due to [now] open lounge, decent room space, better than average chance to get a mini-suite or suite upgrade, high-speed access, etc.

I also agree - Times Sq is not gritty like the 80s when I used to take weekend trips to NYC. *That* was not only gritty, but darned scary, especially at night. Now - I would describe it more as surreal and eclectic.

FlyCo, may I ask your thoughts about this property, and also re: Shulas specifically ?
Old Jun 16, 2003, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
ILUVCITIBANK, four (short) blocks from 43rd to 47th St.!

Kathy
Old Jun 16, 2003, 1:37 pm
Suspended

the Westin is very close to the W. you can walk it in about five minutes.

its amazing how a five minute walk can put you in an area with a different feel.

try 2 am on a saturday night and compare port authority westin to the times square W.

i've never eaten at shulas or stepped foot inside of the westin. i just imagine that i will get the fifth degree interrogation if i go inside without being a registered guest. not worth the hassle.

enjoy the stay.

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited 06-16-2003).]
Old Jun 16, 2003, 2:37 pm

Programs: Used to be elite in UA, SPG and Hertz...now I'm just a regular guy
Fly Co correctly points out that the Westin is not "in" Times Square. But, here in Chicago we say the South Loop stretches a good 20 blocks south of the actual Loop. Still, I should have said the Times Square "vicinity."

I did not visit the Club Lounge because it was under renovations I believe, although I received a nice note from the manager saying so. The lounge was supposed to re-open on June 16, though. The breakfast coupons did not seem to be because of the lounge being closed. However, the drink coupon for Bar 10 was because of the lounge being closed (mentioned in the manager's note).

[This message has been edited by raisin (edited 06-16-2003).]
Old Jun 25, 2003, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Warning: Not All Showers at the Westin NY Times Square Are Heavenly

I just completed another stay at this hotel and my room did not feature the usual dual-headed Heavenly Shower. They have a standard showerhead, that does not offer much in the way of water pressure.

Apparently, they were unable to secure enough of them and are waiting for the final few to complete the installation. I was told that all rooms on the 23rd floor do not have the Heavenly showerheads. There are some other rooms affected as well.

I was assured that all rooms will be properly equipped in a month.

On a positive note, they took $39 off my room rate for the inconvenience.

Also, I wouldn't expect much in the way of upgrades over the next few days as the NBA is using it to house those involved in the draft.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 10:45 am
Suspended

i will respectfully refrain from commenting....

Old Jun 25, 2003, 10:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fly co to see the yanks:
i will respectfully refrain from commenting.... </font>
Ohhh. . . Why start now?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.