FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/625292-san-diego-general-discussion-thread-hotel-better-etc-master-thread.html)

Nikki00 Nov 7, 2006 12:51 pm

San Diego Properties - MASTER THREAD

Which is better? Two 30 somethings in San Diego for 3 days doing touristy type stuff. Using Starwood points.

damon88 Nov 7, 2006 2:45 pm

I'll be able to report on the Grant in a few weeks since I have 2 nights booked there. As a San Diegan, it's important for me to know the properties first hand before I recommend them to friends and colleagues.

I agree with the poster that the SD W staff isn't as good at W Poydras (they win hands down for best W staff ) but they are better than W Westwood (or is that damning with faint praise? ;)

I don't feel as if I'm a fair judge of the hotel bc the whole "beachy theme" seems counter-W to me. If the hotel was in Pacific Beach or La Jolla near the water that would be one thing, but it's in downtown SD near the gaslamp. The starfish and waves feel out of place. (But ties in to the whole "sand bar" which is very popular) I'm also not a fan of hotel shutters (I prefer drapes) and the rooms aren't as large or comfy as some other Ws. I wish the rooms had chaise lounges.

If you want to be downtown though- it is a great location.

DCF Nov 7, 2006 2:50 pm

The US Grant has a terrific central location and looks great from the outside: I'd prefer it every time.

tnw Nov 7, 2006 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by damon88
I'll be able to report on the Grant in a few weeks since I have 2 nights booked there. As a San Diegan, it's important for me to know the properties first hand before I recommend them to friends and colleagues.

I agree with the poster that the SD W staff isn't as good at W Poydras (they win hands down for best W staff ) but they are better than W Westwood (or is that damning with faint praise? ;)

I don't feel as if I'm a fair judge of the hotel bc the whole "beachy theme" seems counter-W to me. If the hotel was in Pacific Beach or La Jolla near the water that would be one thing, but it's in downtown SD near the gaslamp. The starfish and waves feel out of place. (But ties in to the whole "sand bar" which is very popular) I'm also not a fan of hotel shutters (I prefer drapes) and the rooms aren't as large or comfy as some other Ws. I wish the rooms had chaise lounges.

If you want to be downtown though- it is a great location.

I am looking forward to your report on the US Grant. Any info on treatment of Plats would be appreciated. Have a nice stay.

DTNF130L Nov 7, 2006 10:05 pm

If you don't mind homeless people and vagrants, stay at the Grant. It's next to the Grayhound depot so you can get some interesting people watching in. Prior to the renovation, I would never have recommended this hotel but can't give an honest update now! The W's basic rooms are NYC-sized, unnecessarily so in my opinion. Quiet, cleaner neighborhood but nothing nearby. At least the Grant is safe walking distance to the Gaslamp. Last thought: the W is a major party scene weekend nights. At least the people watching is better then!

tfong007 Nov 7, 2006 10:39 pm

The Grant is directly across from a park/fountain full of drug addicts and drug dealers. I have seen people dealing drugs there with my own eyes. Its a well lit and open area but that doesn't seem to deter crime.

Vader Nov 15, 2006 9:50 am

San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) Master Thread

Hi All:

I have looked through a lot of the threads about the SPG properties in San Diego, but wanted to get your input...

Taking my wife for her 30th birthday, will get there on December 7th and leave on the 10th. We like to walk around cities and use public transit whenever possible. Things we would probably do in SD include kayaking in the bay, visiting the zoo and possible Sea World.... other than that maybe some museums in Balboa park and shopping.

Trying to be reasonable about the price as I am already flying her there in FC...

So far the rates are:
W SD - $225 per night using an SPG50 reward that I got for free
Horton Plaza - $189 per night using AAA discount
Shertaton Suites - $179 per night using AAA discount
Marina - $125 prepaid for Friday and Saturday - find something else for Thursday. This is a limited view room in the West tower. Not sure if being Gold I could get a better room on check in??

Any thoughts or opinions as to what I should choose given what we want to do??

Thanks,

Vader

BlissWorld Nov 15, 2006 9:54 am

when in doubt....always pick

W

:D

thor17 Nov 15, 2006 9:55 am

Well, none of these will be walking distance to the zoo, sea world, or balboa park and I'm not sure how accessible they are via public transit. I would go for the westin horton plaza. It is attached to the horton plaza mall and right there in the gaslamp district. The W is ok, but the location is not good - near the courthouse/county jail.

schriste Nov 15, 2006 9:58 am

The corner rooms at the W SD are very, very nice. One of my favorite Starwood rooms. Worth the modest extra cost over a standard room. The Westin is like a 5 minute walk from the W, so at least in my mind the location is not that much of an issue... unless you are on crutches.

bp traveler Nov 15, 2006 2:52 pm

In the past 4 months have stayed at the Westin Horton Plaza and it was in a great location and a pretty nice property.

Have also said at the Sheraton Suites - would not choose this if the Westin is close in price. It was fine if you are traveling with a family and need the extra room but is looks dated in the common areas.

tfong007 Nov 15, 2006 3:09 pm

Some rooms at the Westin have a dampness cause by the air conditioner that makes the room smell like cat urine. Look out for that and ask for a room change if that happens. Its usually some of the corner rooms with the balcony. Its happened to me about 2 out of 10 stays.

sdcarver Nov 15, 2006 4:20 pm

For location Westin Horton Plaza is the best. Right in Horton Plaza--Nice Mall, walking distance to Gas Lamp Quarter--which has a great night life, Nice restauarants and cafes in the area. Try St. Tropez Bakery right out the front door to the left. Have you checked availablity at the US Grant--across the street from Westin and Horton Plaza?

Unfortunately Public Transportation in SD is not that great-buses schedules are too spread out and the Trolley does not hit many areas of the city.

For Kayaking you can Kayak at SD Bay which is dirty water-or Mission Bay--much better- or La Jolla Shores--Beautiful area with caves and ocassionally the seals etc... (personally I would rather Kayak at La Jolla Shores)

1. SD Bay is about 4-5 blocks from the Westin,
2. Balboa Park is about a 5-10 minute drive with the musuems and Zoo both up there.
3. Sea World is about a 15 minute drive.
4. La Jolla Shores about 20-30 munite drive
5. Mission Bay is about 15 minutes drive--Sea World is located there.

You best bet might be to rent a car while here

sdcarver

Vader Nov 16, 2006 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by sdcarver
You best bet might be to rent a car while here

Thanks to everyone for their feedback - I have booked the Westin Horton Plaza at $189 a night for now.

We are going to give it a go for the public transit thing - it was $15 for a 4 day pass and according to the SD transit website:

1) 10 minute ride from the airport to Horton Plaza
2) 15 minute ride to Zoo/Balbo park from Horton Plaza
3) 20 minute ride to seaworld from Horton Plaza
4) 30 minute ride to LaJolla for the kayaking from Horton Plaza

We tend to like to see the city this way and while we might have to walk a bit and wait for 10-15 minutes to catch a ride, it suits our laid-back way of travelling.

Vader.

sdcarver Nov 16, 2006 3:36 pm

I looked at http://www.sdcommute.com for the first time in a long time--looks a lot better than it did. Before you arrive be sure to download or request all of your maps--they did not have maps at the stops.

Enjoy your Trip,
sdcarver