Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Aeroplan, RBC Avion
Location wise, you can't beat the US Grant. Right across the street from Horton Plaza and a trolley stop behind the hotel. A lot of buses go down Broadway as well so transportation is easy. A nice hotel with with a high rate of Upgrades for Plats makes it the best choice in San Diego IMO.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: American Airlines, starwood
Which property in San Diego?

After my daughter and I tour Occidental College, we will head down to San Diego to tour University of San Diego (not UCSD). Which is the closest in the best area for walking around in the evening? Staying one night. Will also have some time the morning before we leave to enjoy the area a bit. Thanks
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Westin Gaslamp is in a fairly convenient area, stayed there back in August and enjoyed it quite a bit.

The US Grant is only a block or two down from it, so they're both in good/convenient areas but I'm sure the Westin is more affordable.

I think the W is a bit out of the way, but not by much. Sheraton Suites is not bad, but with the Westin Gaslamp most everything is within walking distance. There's a little outdoor mall right next to it.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:30 pm

I've stayed multiple nights in the Westin Gaslamp, Westin San Diego, W San Diego, and Sheraton Suites.

All are walkable to the Gaslamp area but are not necessarily in the Gaslamp.

My ratings:
#1. Westin San Diego
#2. W San Diego
#3. Westin Gaslamp (recently changed it's name from The Westin Horton Plaza)
#4. Sheraton Suites.

The Westin San Diego is a high rise building with a very nice lobby and some easy casual restaurants around ground level. The middle of the building is primarily office space with hotel rooms on the top floors. If you get a Bay View room the views are, generally, very nice. The glass elevator rides up and down the tower are also nice.

The W is just a fun hotel with an outdoor 'sand' bar on the second floor. If you can land a corner room they are fairly spacious with very nice baths. It can get a little noisy in the lobby on Fri. &/or Sat. nights if they are doing their DJ night but some people like that.

If either of you like comtemporary art, the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego, in the historic Santa Fe Railroad Terminal, is a very easy walk. www.mcasd.org

I found the Westin Gaslamp (which isn't in the Gaslamp) to be a bit dark and cramped. Shrug. Maybe that's just me but I also didn't like being attached to Horton Plaza (for too many reasons to mention) and I found the parking tougher than either the Westin San Diego or the W.

As for the Sheraton Suites, I just found it to be the least satisfing of the four hotels.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 8:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
All of the referenced properties are Downtown. USD is North, (and on the "Most Beautiful College Campus" list by Travel and Leisure) about a 20 minute drive by car.

A closer area to stay would be Hotel Circle- however, the downtown properties do offer more things to do on foot and offer better accommodation opportunities.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 6:01 pm

Programs: united, AA
Are there SPG suites fro 3 adults in San Diego area

3 of us are travelling from 15-18th Nov. Instead of booking 3 rooms, I am looking for a SPG suite with 3 private bedrooms?

Any ideas? iguys?

David
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:57 am
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold
Way late to the party here, but I would stay downtown, despite Hotel Circle's proximity. Way more to do. Downtown around all the Starwood properties is safe. US Grant by far the nicest.

I went to USD and always tried to put family up downtown when the price difference wasn't too great.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
W is about 6-8 blocks from the Gaslamp through some very questionable areas. I would not recommend it from that perspective.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 2:00 pm

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html
Old Nov 6, 2011, 2:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
camarg's post is right on point(s)
Old Nov 14, 2011, 3:12 pm

Avoid the San Diego Westin. I stayed at this property over the weekend on a points and $ rate. Upon check-in, I felt like a Priceline customer. I am SPG Gold, but got no mention of loyalty. My room key sleeve said $60 on it, no mention of the points I redeemed.

This location is in an office building on the outskirts of downtown. It is a pretty poor location. Lot's of homeless people in this part of town. I did witness one going #2 on the sidewalk beside the Westin. It is about a 10 minute walk to the Gaslamp district.

I did get a bay view room on the club floor. The view was of a sliver of the bay and part of the airport. The only amenity this property has for elites is some apples in a bowl on the club floor. They do not have a club. The rooms were average. The bed was great, shower head was great and TV was great.

Parking is $32/night. The parking and bell staff were very friendly and helpful. The concierge was not. I asked what my breakfast options were and he looked at me like I was stupid.

Night number 2 they had some kind of pipe burst. The complete lobby was under a few inches of water.

Stay at the other Westins.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by newhousejim
Avoid the San Diego Westin. I stayed at this property over the weekend on a points and $ rate. Upon check-in, I felt like a Priceline customer. I am SPG Gold, but got no mention of loyalty. My room key sleeve said $60 on it, no mention of the points I redeemed.

This location is in an office building on the outskirts of downtown. It is a pretty poor location. Lot's of homeless people in this part of town. I did witness one going #2 on the sidewalk beside the Westin. It is about a 10 minute walk to the Gaslamp district.

I did get a bay view room on the club floor. The view was of a sliver of the bay and part of the airport. The only amenity this property has for elites is some apples in a bowl on the club floor. They do not have a club. The rooms were average. The bed was great, shower head was great and TV was great.

Parking is $32/night. The parking and bell staff were very friendly and helpful. The concierge was not. I asked what my breakfast options were and he looked at me like I was stupid.

Night number 2 they had some kind of pipe burst. The complete lobby was under a few inches of water.

Stay at the other Westins.
I too have not had great experiences at this property, I would much rather walk the longer distance from the W to Gasllamp than deal with this property...

sdcarver
Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:32 pm

While the Gaslamp district seems to be the big draw downtown, I prefer the W and it's proximity to Little Italy. Some nice restaurants and bars and not nearly as tourist-filled as the Gaslamp.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Looking for a suite with a kitchen

Hi,

I'm looking for a suite (capacity of 4) with a kitchen.

I've checked the webpage for Sheraton Suites, and only having a "microwave" does not constitute a "kitchen".

Are there any other *wood properties in SD that offers a full kitchen?? (Location does not matter).

Thanks in advance!!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
Originally Posted by ddsohn
Hi,

I'm looking for a suite (capacity of 4) with a kitchen.

I've checked the webpage for Sheraton Suites, and only having a "microwave" does not constitute a "kitchen".

Are there any other *wood properties in SD that offers a full kitchen?? (Location does not matter).

Thanks in advance!!
Hyatt House in Carlsbad has a good sized kitchen with a one-bedroom QQ suite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.