Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2010, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Hi all,

Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions. The day after my post, points availability opened up at the Sheraton Marina for the dates we wanted, so I went ahead and booked that.

Unfortunately, only Bay Tower room options showed up as choices, and it sounds like the Marina Tower is probably where we really want to be (closer to pools, restaurants, etc.). I put in a comment that we would prefer a Marina Tower room, so we'll see what happens...

I'm only an SPG Preferred Plus member, so clubs and potential for suite upgrades don't matter in my case.

I appreciate the suggestions re. Carlsbad, but should have mentioned that it also appears to be sold out for the dates we need.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 8:32 am

Programs: All of them.... mostly United and Starwood
Best San Diego hotel to use Free Weekend Nights?

Does anyone have any advice on San Diego hotels that would be the best use of my free weekend nights? The hotels don't look too expensive on the dates I want to go (the weekend AFTER Labor Day) so I'm wondering if it is even worth it to use these free nights or if I should save them for an upcoming trip to Europe (not definite) and an upcoming trip to Australia (not definite either).

Which hotel do you like best in San Diego?

Also, I could look into C&P or just using points for a free stay and saving my free weekend promo nights (I only earned 4 total during the promo) so I'd be using 2 for this weekend if I went that route.

Advice please?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Aug 29, 2010 at 10:02 am Reason: Moved into master thread on San Diego hotels
Old Aug 29, 2010, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
If rates are sub-$160 for the W or US Grant, then I say save them for future use.

I personally prefer the US Grant as a Platinum, as the ratio of Suites to Rooms is much higher. The W will give you a standard W experience but in a dodgy corner of downtown.

I will generally avoid the Sheraton or either Westin unless they are significantly cheaper or I am Mattress Running.

If you check the sticky there is a whole discussion on which SD hotel...
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:12 am

Thanks for the Feedback

Originally Posted by boifromtroy
If rates are sub-$160 for the W or US Grant, then I say save them for future use.

I personally prefer the US Grant as a Platinum, as the ratio of Suites to Rooms is much higher. The W will give you a standard W experience but in a dodgy corner of downtown.

I will generally avoid the Sheraton or either Westin unless they are significantly cheaper or I am Mattress Running.

If you check the sticky there is a whole discussion on which SD hotel...
Thanks so much. This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I have only been to San Diego once in the past few years and am not very familiar with the area. I stayed at the Westin (on Broadway) and it was very ho hum. Nothing great, nothing terrible. No upgrade, pretty small room on a high floor though.

I was leaning towards the W or the US Grant, so I think I'll look into the Grant.

I might need to stay on Thursday night as well, which is going to be tough if the prices are high, might need to stay somewhere else for Thursday.

The prepaid rates are as follows:
Superior King - $183.20/nt
Deluxe King - $199.20/nt
Legacy Suite - $247.20/nt

I'd probably not go for a the prepaid, so the next best rates are:

Superior King - $239/nt
Deluxe King - $269/nt

Lots of suites listed, so hopefully I'd be able to get a good upgrade.

If you're familiar with the area, could you recommend a Starwood or even Hilton property near Solana Beach/Encinitas area. This would be for Thursday night before the Grant.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Be sure the check the AAA rates and packages. IIRC, there may be a $199 package that includes parking and $50 F&B credit.

Re: Upgrades... The Grant has something like 247 rooms and 48 of them are Suites, as opposed to the W which I believe has 3 real suites and 16 Cool Corner "Suites" or so...

Starwood near Encinitas... Your choices are the Sheraton LaJolla or going all the way to Carlsbad. Have not stayed in either one.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 2:26 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by cherribabe
...even Hilton property near Solana Beach/Encinitas area. This would be for Thursday night before the Grant.
There are 8 or 9 Hilton brand hotels near I-5 between Carlsbad and Del Mar. I haven't stayed in a one, since I am local. If I were you, I'd check the Hilton forum for info on the Hilton Garden Inn, Carlsbad, just across from the ocean, and the Homewood Suites Del Mar, just off the freeway.

I've heard that the Hilton Del Mar comes up on Priceline now and again. Otherwise, it is an unremarkable property, though in high demand in the summer since it is just across from the racetrack and fairgrounds.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by boifromtroy
Be sure the check the AAA rates and packages. IIRC, there may be a $199 package that includes parking and $50 F&B credit.

Re: Upgrades... The Grant has something like 247 rooms and 48 of them are Suites, as opposed to the W which I believe has 3 real suites and 16 Cool Corner "Suites" or so...

Starwood near Encinitas... Your choices are the Sheraton LaJolla or going all the way to Carlsbad. Have not stayed in either one.
I didn't see that AAA package, but I'll keep an eye out for it. Sounds like a great deal. Right now, I went ahead and booked Friday and Saturday night at the Grant and now going to figure out what to do for Wednesday and Thursday night when I don't need to be downtown.

This Four Points came up on a few searches online, but when I look at Google maps, it seems to be a Courtyard!
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:55 am

San diego

I have stayed at all starwood properties in San Diego and my least favorite is the sandiego marina. It is large and has multiple towers but i rarely get an upgrade and never have been given a suite. Both Westins, the Grant and W always upgrade me. Sheraton Suites on A St. Is one of my favorites. unit, guest services manager, always takes good care of me. the Westin San Diego has some awesome suites. I got these suites the last 5 visits and got either a suite or a cool corner at the W the last 16 times. The Sheraton Suites is my favorite and every room is a suite and the folks are great. I have been on the 27 th floor the last 40 stays. the Grant is beautiful and the suite I had was very beautiful and spacious and the plaster moulding was out of another century. the Sheraton Mission Valley(interstate 8 noisy and a dump) has a club but the hotel rooms are small, noisy and you will swear the hotel needs an upgrade. I arrive late and at this hotel, I am always guaranteed the worst possible room. the Sheraton lajolla used to be a Radisson and I stayed there at least 50 times. The rooms are nice and the property has a small club lounge. the Westin Horton Plaza or Gaslamp has an awesome Presidential Suite and this is worth getting. If you are serious for wanting to stay at he W or the Westins, I recommend contacting the hotel guest services manager to arrange a special trip. I have evaluated the Sheraton Suites, W and Westin properties on trip advisor and all scored 5 stars.

I recommend against the Marina and Mission Valley properties. I tend to always get the worst possible room at these properties and even had one property (Sheraton marina) welcome me back for my second stay and they were shocked when I sent them a thank you note and corrected their records with receipts indicating that I stayed there 16 times in the past 12 months.

I have also experienced receiving gift baskets at some starwood properties from other properties whom saw that was in the area in hopes of getting my business. To guarantee yourself a special stay, I recommend the Grant, W, Westin San Diego, Westin Gaslamp and Sheraton Suites.

Thanks
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:58 am

Sheraton marina

As a preferred plus member, expect a normal room st the Sheraton marina property. I have been platinum for 10 years and have over 300 stays in San Diego and have never had a suite at this property. It is my least favorite property. Their former GM moved to Waikiki and. Such, the property has been going downhill although it is recently remodeled as are all of the Sheraton properties.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
one night in SD as Gold

Can you give me some feedback?

I have a Friday night in San Diego in early February. I am a lowly Starwood Gold and want to get a REALLY good deal either paying or using points. Looking for a very comfortable stay and would prefer to stay near downtown where I could walk to restaurants/bars. Upgrade and lounge access of course would be welcome but not high expectations as Gold. I will have a car and would be great to avoid the parking fee. I would not mind driving 10 or 20 miles from downtown to maximize my hotel experience. I have registered for the great weekends promo. I easily pay up to $100 and perhaps up to $150. North of $150 pay rate is no go.

Here are my choices:

Sheraton Suites at Symphony Hall $149 or 10,000 pts or $60 plus 4,000 pts
US Grant $229 or 12,000 pts or $90 plus 4,800 pts
Westin Gaslamp $139 or 10,000 pts or $60 plus 4,000 pts
Westin San Diego $149 or 10,000 pts or $60 plus 4,000 pts
W San Diego $169 or 12,000 pts or $90 plus 4,800 pts
Sheraton Hotel & Marina $139 or 10,000 pts
Sheraton Mission Valley $109 or 7,000 pts
4 Points by Sheraton $98 or 7,000 pts

I guess it gets down to how much you value your Starwood points....Since I am mostly a Hilton guy I am not that up on the value of *points, what seems to be the "avg" worth of a point from you Starwood experts? And any of these hotels are a MUST avoid one?

Thank you for your comments!

George
Old Jan 26, 2011, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Since I am mostly a Hilton guy I am not that up on the value of *points, what seems to be the "avg" worth of a point from you Starwood experts?
I value Starpoints at 2.5 cents per point. Unless it's for a very special circumstance, I wouldn't redeem for less than that.

As for upgrades to club level, that's very unlikely to happen. A few of these hotels have club lounges. You could always pay for a room with cash and then upgrade to the club level for a couple thousand points (varies by property). For this option, you would need to call SPG within five days of arrival.

I would stay downtown if I were you. Of the downtown properties, I've only stayed at the U.S. Grant. As a gold, I almost always get an upper floor corner room (over four stays?). To avoid parking costs, you can find street parking a couple of blocks to the north. There are meter options closer, but I don't remember hours enforced or cost. My first choice in San Diego and I've been fortunate it's been available for quite a bit less than the rate you listed on most of my visits.

The Sheraton Marina is close to downtown, but not close enough to walk. Street parking is not an option here, but there is a club lounge. Rooms are small but have a nice view of the marina if you get a high floor. My kids love the pool, but that's iffy in February and I'd rather be in downtown anyways.

Skip the Sheraton Mission Valley. It's adequate if you just want a place to sleep at night, but there's better options if you're there to experience San Diego. That said, it's not far from the trolley station behind the Town & Country resort for easy access to downtown, but probably too far to walk from there.

All of these properties have extensive threads devoted to them. Go to the sticky at the top of this forum, or click here.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
For an upcoming trip I see the Westin Gaslamp (or Horton Plaza as I knew it) at $111 per night and Westin US Grant at $115 per night. Location is important but so is room size as we will have 2 toddlers. It appears rollaways and cribs are not available at the US Grant (even with suites) so maybe that resolves the question. However I also see many complaints about the construction noise due to renovation work at Gaslamp. Any other thoughts?

Note: I don't care for the location of Sheraton Marina and the W's aren't really appropriate for children. But maybe I should consider the Sheraton Suites?

Last edited by Boraxo; Feb 14, 2011 at 10:34 pm
Old Feb 15, 2011, 3:34 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
Adding my vote that Sheraton Marina should be avoided if possible. There are so many other great properties in SD.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by maize&blue
There are so many other great properties in SD.
Such as ???
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, FPC PLT, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo
For an upcoming trip I see the Westin Gaslamp (or Horton Plaza as I knew it) at $111 per night and Westin US Grant at $115 per night. Location is important but so is room size as we will have 2 toddlers. It appears rollaways and cribs are not available at the US Grant (even with suites) so maybe that resolves the question. However I also see many complaints about the construction noise due to renovation work at Gaslamp. Any other thoughts?

Note: I don't care for the location of Sheraton Marina and the W's aren't really appropriate for children. But maybe I should consider the Sheraton Suites?
We stayed at 4 spg properties, US Grant, Sheraton Suite, Westin San Diego and W San Diego, last week, with our daughter who is 5 years old. We had best experience in US Grant. We were upgraded to Legacy Suite. The room is nice with separate living area. Very well appointed. The bath room is a bit small though. Our 2nd best would be Sheraton Suite. Again, We were upgraded to corner suite with club lounge access. Staff is very friendly and room is very spacious. They have indoor swimming pool which my little girl really enjoys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.