Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2009, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
There is a long discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

1. Any of the Starwoods Downtown except the Sheraton Symphony Suites are good for walking. The SS is on a hill and close to the dodgier parts of town.

2. The SS may be the most kid-friendly of them all, on the other hand. Avoid the W with kids, please (should go for everyone!)

3. There is a $15/day lot across from the Westin and W on Columbia Street.

4. The US Grant has 47 suites for some 250 rooms. Do the math.

5. No idea.

6. Lounge at SSS is smallish, don't recall any other lounges.

If you can get it for close to the price of the others, the upgrade opportunities at the US Grant make it my favoriter of all in SD!
Old Feb 7, 2010, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA, ICH, Avis, SPG
looking for the best pool in the area...would it be the sheraton marina or up in carlsbad? any of the downtown properties have a nice pool area? thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:36 pm

US Grant or W?

Got this thread from search, has anyone recently stayed in the US Grant or W? Going to see some baseball games and hang out at gaslamp. I've never stayed in a Luxury Collection Hotel, but I did like the w in San Francisco and Istanbul.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium , National Car Emerald Club Exec Elite, AC 50K Elite
Originally Posted by schistosomiasis
Got this thread from search, has anyone recently stayed in the US Grant or W? Going to see some baseball games and hang out at gaslamp. I've never stayed in a Luxury Collection Hotel, but I did like the w in San Francisco and Istanbul.
I wouldn't necessarily class the W in San Diego as a luxury property in the true sense, certainly not in the same category as a Luxury Collection property. Don't think you need to engage in a comparison here between these 2 properties. Read the threads on each if you want but book your stay at the US Grant in the meantime.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 8:51 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by schistosomiasis
I've stayed at a lot of Ws and the one in San Diego is probably my least favorite. It's on the edge of the "good area"- the rooms are nothing special and IMO have the worst theme of any of the Ws I've stayed at (they went for "beachy") They have shutters vs. the typical W black-out curtains. The furniture is not very comfortable.

On the other hand- the US Grant is one of my favorite Starwood properties. They reward loyalty- the rooms are stunning- the service is excellent. It's also in a better location- walking distance to restaurants, stores etc.

Don't take my W comments as an indication that I don't like Ws. I love lots of them- the W Union Square in NYC- the W in New Orleans on Poydras- the W Seattle and W San Francisco.

I'm just not a fan of the SD one. I'm a local so I check out all the Starwood properties so I know which properties to recommend to visiting friends.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 12:56 pm

Programs: All, but tend to stick with Starwood and Continental
The US Grant is a wonderful property and the Grant Grill has amazing food. I think I am 5-5 with respect to incredible suite upgrades when I stay there.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 7:31 pm

Best SPG hotel that I've stayed at in SD is W:
- Extremely friendly staff
- Nice rooms... W style
- Real good food downstairs
- I stayed there for over a month and got plenty of free stuff like wine and snacks which looking back has never happened at any other hotel
- Having W turn into a "club" on the weekends is a neat thing if you are into that
- The only problem with the W is that its 5 blocks away from Gaslamp (15 minute walk) but 3 of those blocks are occupied by homeless people... so walking is a bit sketchy. So there is no restaurants/bars walking distance.
- Besides location Hotel is the best I've ever stayed at though!

Sheraton Marina:
- Great looking hotel and awesome views
- Exec lounge
- about 10 min ride from gas lamp
- overall not bad

Westin Gaslamp:
- Awesome location
- Hotel is in need of renovation that's for sure
- Friendly staff but since hotel is pretty big nothing personal
- Nice pool... no lounge
- Did I mention the location.... 2 minute walk to anywhere in Gaslamp

Sheraton Suites:
- A bit old just like any other Sheraton Suites I've stayed at
- Location is ok.. about 5 min walk to Gaslamp
- Parking sucks because you have to drive 5 floors upto the "hotel floor"
- Staff is friendly but nothing special

Hope this helps!
Anton
Old Jul 26, 2010, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Trying to find a hotel in San Diego using Starpoints for an upcoming three-night stay with my wife and our 2-year-old. We will have a car. We'll probably be going to Legoland, the zoo, and wild animal park, as well as visiting with family in La Jolla.

From previous posts, it looks like the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina is highly recommended for families with kids, but it's sold out for the dates we're looking at. I'm looking at the Sheraton La Jolla (10,000 points/night) and Sheraton Mission Valley (7000 points/night) as alternatives.

Any suggestions on which of these properties would be better for a 2-year-old? Also, how do the pools / pool areas compare?

Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I stay at Sheraton La Jolla everyweek. It has a nice club lounge. The pool is ok, not like a resort pool. It has a small gym. Its not really in a tourist area. Its a ways from the beach and a ways from Torrey Pines park. Not necessarily the best location overall for family trip. The lounge is a plus.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 5:15 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
When I stayed at the Sheraton Marina over the 4th of July, I discovered that they now only have their lounge open on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings. (The morning schedule has not changed.)
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:03 am

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MarshKing
When I stayed at the Sheraton Marina over the 4th of July, I discovered that they now only have their lounge open on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings. (The morning schedule has not changed.)
+1 I have noticed the same as well--they seem to be taken it away one day at a time

sdcarver
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:05 am

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JonIND
Trying to find a hotel in San Diego using Starpoints for an upcoming three-night stay with my wife and our 2-year-old. We will have a car. We'll probably be going to Legoland, the zoo, and wild animal park, as well as visiting with family in La Jolla.

From previous posts, it looks like the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina is highly recommended for families with kids, but it's sold out for the dates we're looking at. I'm looking at the Sheraton La Jolla (10,000 points/night) and Sheraton Mission Valley (7000 points/night) as alternatives.

Any suggestions on which of these properties would be better for a 2-year-old? Also, how do the pools / pool areas compare?

Thanks!
Have you looked at the Sheraton Carslbad in North County--very close to Legoland and not too far from Wild Animal Park.

sdcarver
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:19 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Just had another great stay at Sheraton Marina. I really like that hotel a lot & recommend it for folks with kids

IMO they dropped the ball with! Carlsbad- I love kids but too many running.wild through the halls- plus hate the design overlooking parking lot.
They have nice common areas & very convenient access to Legolsnd.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:20 am

Programs: Delta-Plat, *wood-Plat, Fairmont-Premier, Hilton-silver
La Jolla would be my choice. The pool is nice in a very protected garden area. The shallow end is just a couple feet deep so my two year old loves it. Parking is approximately $10 with in and out. You are very convienent to everything. My upgrades here include a suite but it is really just a long room with a kitchenette in the middle. I think I am one for three on upgrades but the staff is quite nice.

Mission Valley rooms can be hit or miss. Suites are really nice but regular rooms small. Pool is warm but lots of freeway noise. Parking is also appox $10 but waived for platinums. Requests for late check out are frequently denied. My wife refuses to stay here but for but I like it when I am in town for work.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
Originally Posted by JonIND

Thanks!
I'd go with Carlsbad also. You get a private entrance to Legoland, a good (but crowded) lounge and a very nice pool area. Rooms are nice and big, though the walls and floors have poor noise insulation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.