FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/625292-san-diego-general-discussion-thread-hotel-better-etc-master-thread.html)

azepine00 Apr 18, 2008 3:08 pm

Just an observation on my plat suite upgrade experience in SD:
1/3 at the Sheraton Mission Valley
0/1 at the Sheraton Marina

ziggystardust Apr 29, 2008 8:28 am

Originally Posted by socalplat (Post 9363466)
If you want a nice hotel walking distance to the gaslamp, I would recommend the Westin Horton Plaza. Free wifi in the lobby.

Gaslamp is literally right across the street but with the shopping center separating you from the noise on 4th or broadway.

Too many problems at the US grant, and Westin San Diego (down the street) is a little worn and dated. Westin Horton Plaza is newly remodeled and a 2 min walk to restaurants, bars, etc.. in gaslamp.

Originally Posted by ziggystardust (Post 9577505)
I was about to book the US Grant, what are the problems, I'm a bit concerned now. I did read on another review site that there were problems with beggars in the evening :confused:

Bump??????

jumpdogjump Apr 29, 2008 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by ziggystardust (Post 9577505)
I was about to book the US Grant, what are the problems, I'm a bit concerned now. I did read on another review site that there were problems with beggars in the evening :confused:

Well, lets put it this way: If you were homeless, what city would you want to live in? :)

Seriously, It's in a downtown area of a major metropolitan city. Expect to be panhandled accordingly.

FernO Apr 29, 2008 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by dkelly1110 (Post 9595416)
The GF and I (in our mid 20s, like to go out) looking to book a long weekend in August in SD. We were looking at the W (284/nt), the Westin Gaslamp (295/nt) and the Westin SD(219/nt). (All prices w/o AAA disc.) Some of our planned activites were to go to the beach, make a run down to Tijuana and go to a Padres game -- just generally exploration. Do any of the hotels have a pool on the property? The W Master Thread said the pool was small and left quite a bit to be desired -- can anyone confirm or deny?

We have an early flight in on Friday and the redeye back to NY on Sunday night, so it really is almost three full days.

Thanks for your help!

If I was in my mid-20's again I would choose the W. The pool is small, but since you are arriving in AUG, I think your better option is the beach. The W will be a good spot to relax and have a few drinks after your day(s) out. Tijuana has been a bit "scary" as of late, so you may want to check out the situation before you head south.

ziggystardust Apr 30, 2008 4:38 am

Originally Posted by jumpdogjump (Post 9652987)
Well, lets put it this way: If you were homeless, what city would you want to live in? :)

Seriously, It's in a downtown area of a major metropolitan city. Expect to be panhandled accordingly.

Thanks I know what you mean this happened to us in Vancouver :(

dkelly1110 Apr 30, 2008 6:28 am

Originally Posted by FernO (Post 9654265)
If I was in my mid-20's again I would choose the W. The pool is small, but since you are arriving in AUG, I think your better option is the beach. The W will be a good spot to relax and have a few drinks after your day(s) out. Tijuana has been a bit "scary" as of late, so you may want to check out the situation before you head south.

How is getting to the beach from these downtown hotels without a car? Impossible?

SanDiego1K Apr 30, 2008 10:05 am

Originally Posted by dkelly1110 (Post 9655270)
How is getting to the beach from these downtown hotels without a car? Impossible?

It's not fast, but it is possible. You can take the Coaster to Solana Beach or Encinitas or Carlsbad or Oceanside. Each stop is close enough to the beach (perhaps 2 blocks) for you to walk. You can walk to Fletcher Cove from the Solana Beach stop, and Moonlight Beach from the Encinitas stop.

skunker Apr 30, 2008 11:25 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 9656346)
It's not fast, but it is possible. You can take the Coaster to Solana Beach or Encinitas or Carlsbad or Oceanside. Each stop is close enough to the beach (perhaps 2 blocks) for you to walk. You can walk to Fletcher Cove from the Solana Beach stop, and Moonlight Beach from the Encinitas stop.

Fletcher Cove isn't exactly a major destination or worth the trip on the Coaster from downtown. It has a very small beach area that can almost disappear during high tides. For mid-20's couple go to PB (Pacific Beach). Just avoid the area around PB drive if you don't like drunk meatheads. ;) The area north of the pier is much better. A cab would run about $30 or you can take the bus.

EDIT: Just saw you were from Jersey. You should go to Fletcher Cove, leave PB to the locals. :D

dkelly1110 Apr 30, 2008 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by skunker (Post 9656799)
Fletcher Cove isn't exactly a major destination or worth the trip on the Coaster from downtown. It has a very small beach area that can almost disappear during high tides. For mid-20's couple go to PB (Pacific Beach). Just avoid the area around PB drive if you don't like drunk meatheads. ;) The area north of the pier is much better. A cab would run about $30 or you can take the bus.

EDIT: Just saw you were from Jersey. You should go to Fletcher Cove, leave PB to the locals. :D

Hahaha. :p If I had caught this before you edited, I would have said that I'm from NJ, and I'm used to meatheads at beach. Lucky for me, I'm not one.

Thanks for the info, all!

archoftj Jun 4, 2008 9:47 am

I just wanna if anyone of you can share your experience with standard rooms at the W and the Westin Gaslamp Quarter (former Horton Plaza). How big are they?

The W San Diego website says their wonderful rooms are 250 square feet. Are they really that small or are they actually bigger?

I´ve stayed at the Westin Gaslamp and in my opinion the rooms are bigger (website says 350 square feet), the location is great but everything is a little rundown like scratches everywhere and so on.

The other thing is I need at least one room with two beds and I am not counting on an upgrade to a two bedroom suite, if there are any.

So the question is, which hotel is the better one when it comes to roomsize of a (standard) room with 2 beds?

Thanks in advance.

respectable_man Jun 21, 2008 6:32 pm

bump

Originally Posted by archoftj (Post 9825413)
I just wanna if anyone of you can share your experience with standard rooms at the W and the Westin Gaslamp Quarter (former Horton Plaza). How big are they?

The W San Diego website says their wonderful rooms are 250 square feet. Are they really that small or are they actually bigger?

I´ve stayed at the Westin Gaslamp and in my opinion the rooms are bigger (website says 350 square feet), the location is great but everything is a little rundown like scratches everywhere and so on.

The other thing is I need at least one room with two beds and I am not counting on an upgrade to a two bedroom suite, if there are any.

So the question is, which hotel is the better one when it comes to roomsize of a (standard) room with 2 beds?

Thanks in advance.

Bump. I'm also interested in opinions on this and other *wood in the area for a 5 night stay with dear spouse.

DivMiler Jun 21, 2008 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by socalplat (Post 9363466)
Too many problems at the US grant...

Originally Posted by ziggystardust

Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
Well, lets put it this way: If you were homeless, what city would you want to live in?

But that's not unique to the U.S. Grant. What were socalplat's problems?

ckg1999 Jul 3, 2008 9:54 am

Which downtown *wood property?

I have travelled to San Diego several times and stayed at the Westin San Diego, Sheraton Suites, US Grant (got an upgrade as a gold!), and the W.

I have not stayed at the Westin Gaslamp. I am surprising the wife and flying her down and want a romantic weekend.

Prices: Sheraton - $416 total
US Grant - $473 total
Westin Gaslamp - 8k pts/$120 or $409
Westin San Diego - $400 total
W - $466 total.

My general concern is the opportunity for an upgrade and nice accommodations.

Thanks for the help!

rogerck Jul 3, 2008 10:37 am

Originally Posted by ckg1999 (Post 9977257)
I have travelled to San Diego several times and stayed at the Westin San Diego, Sheraton Suites, US Grant (got an upgrade as a gold!), and the W.

I have not stayed at the Westin Gaslamp. I am surprising the wife and flying her down and want a romantic weekend.

Prices: Sheraton - $416 total
US Grant - $473 total
Westin Gaslamp - 8k pts/$120 or $409
Westin San Diego - $400 total
W - $466 total.

My general concern is the opportunity for an upgrade and nice accommodations.

Thanks for the help!

Was at the US Grant last week again and going down again tomorrow. Like the hotel a lot. My girlfriend loves the place if that helps.

Stayed at the Westin Gaslamp once and didn't like it at all. Didn't help that the people in the room next to me got it on like 20 times! Thin, thin walls.

bbbb Jul 3, 2008 11:27 am

Originally Posted by rogerck (Post 9977524)
Stayed at the Westin Gaslamp once and didn't like it at all. Didn't help that the people in the room next to me got it on like 20 times! Thin, thin walls.

Can you tell us more about the people next door?:D:D:D:p