Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium , National Car Emerald Club Exec Elite, AC 50K Elite
Originally Posted by el_tigre
gabo02, thanks for the heads up. I called and got the discount, which gets me leaning even more to the Sheraton Marina. But I'd still like to hear anyone else's opinions.

EquityMind, I'm sorry to hear about your issues with the U.S. Grant. That said, you said in another thread you have stayed in all of the San Diego *Woods half a dozen times. Given your level of experience, do you have any thoughts on which hotel would be better for a family with young kids between the Westin Horton Plaza and Sheraton Marina?
I've also stayed in both of these properties on repeated ocassions and between them, wouldn't hesitate recommending the Sheraton Marina as being far more "kid-friendly" and better located for families with children (especially those under the age of 3 years). Combine this with the better rate you're likely to get at the Sheraton Marina and I'd expect your decision to be an easy one. Having said this I'm not a great fan of the Westin Horton Plaza, even for adults, given that its only saving grace, in my opinion, is its proximity to Horton Plaza. Don't let the Marina's location by the airport scare you, because unless you knew otherwise, you wouldn't realize it was anywhere other than in a resort setting by the ocean.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by traveldog
I've also stayed in both of these properties on repeated ocassions and between them, wouldn't hesitate recommending the Sheraton Marina as being far more "kid-friendly" and better located for families with children (especially those under the age of 3 years).
Thanks traveldog. I was already strongly leaning towards the Sheraton Marina before your post, but this was enough to clinch it. It looks to be the ideal spot for our little family getaway.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Starwood SPG Platinum, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by el_tigre
EquityMind, I'm sorry to hear about your issues with the U.S. Grant. That said, you said in another thread you have stayed in all of the San Diego *Woods half a dozen times. Given your level of experience, do you have any thoughts on which hotel would be better for a family with young kids between the Westin Horton Plaza and Sheraton Marina?
El-Tigre

I hope you're enjoying the Sheraton Marina, I would have to agree that this is the better kid friendly of the two and since its such a large property (as I'm sure you're discovering) that there is much more to see and the views are better by far. Sorry for the late response but I've been living on airplanes the past week.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 12:39 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, CO Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Citigroup Chairman
Which: Westin, Westin HP, or US Grant

I'm staying in SD with my wife and Mother in Law in a couple of weeks. We will be getting two rooms, using the C&P option and it is now available at: Westin, Westin Horton Plaza and US Grant for the time we are there. The US Grant is a bit more because of its higher category.

It appears that the US Grant is marginally better than the Westin which is better than the Horton Plaza. Is that correct? If so, I think I'll opt for the Westin and save some $$. Please let me know your thoughts. We will have a car, so parking is a factor, as is Platinum Upgrade/Lounge (if applicable).

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:19 am

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
Sheraton San Diego at Symphony Hall Trip Report

I haven't stayed at the other San Diego *Wood properties but I just returned from an awards stay at the Symphony Hall property - in a word, terrific ! Check -in a bit strange as it's on the 12th floor of the hotel, acknowledged as Plat and for amenity are given a card where you check off points or popcorn & a movie etc. Upgraded to 26th floor suite one from the corner which looked a bit smaller on the floor layout sheet but it was fine for our purposes. Traveled with Mrs. Singlepoint and the two little Singlepoints (ages 4 & 9). They slept on the sofabed and we had a King in the master bedroom.
Wireless internet is complimentary on the 12th floor and they have 5-6 kiosks if you didn't bring your own computer.
For Club lounge privileges (and anything else such as the pool, hot tub, fitness centre, bar) that is also located on the 12th floor. The Club lounge is quite small - you walk through the bar and restaurant to enter the lounge. For breakfast in the morning, you don't have to sit in the lounge; they will seat you anywhere. Their buffet breakfast is extremely good - everything from omelettes to french toast and everything in between (cold and hot). As a Club level guest (or Plat), they provide you with coupons redeemable for the breakfasts. If I ran short, I simply asked for another one and they (the front desk) provided them - the same thing applied to the free drink coupons they provide in the bar. At night, the Club lounge isn't that special - a smallish cheese tray but they do provide several types of bottled beer along with soda/pop.
The pool is smallish but adequate for my family's needs (25' long; 5' at it's deepest point). It rained quite hard while we were there and some of the skylights leak a bit. Hot tub seats about 6-8 people and towels were provided. There is a lockable co-ed washroom/shower area which is good although the door to the shower didn't close. The fitness area is OK with several types of equipment and a few TVs.

Service was incredible - the front desk (although training new people) was very professional and discreet (ie: if dealing with one person, you couldn't hear the details of the conversation). There was one discrepancy with a few patrons' bills in the bar one night and the staff there dealt with it nicely by apologizing for the confusion, comping the bill and I believe an appetizer was sent over as well - nicely done.
I was trying to locate a Danish liquor for a colleague and the bar staff tried their best to help me in this endeavour - albeit to no avail.

Location is a bit of a walk (10-15 minutes down to the convention center area) and we used the bus 992 to get to and from the airport. It drops you off at Broadway and 4th so it was about a 10 minute walk with luggage to the hotel. Some posters have commented on the safety of the area - it does seem a bit sketchy but there were always enough people around when we were out at night. Granted, with kids this young, that was never past 9:00 p.m.
For me, traveling with a family, the Sheraton at Symphony Hall was excellent - I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Singlepoint
Old Dec 10, 2007, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Thank you Singlepoint for the great review. I will give the Symphony Hall property a try this weekend.

Question, how far is the walk to Gaslamp District?
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:55 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
Originally Posted by Motion122
Thank you Singlepoint for the great review. I will give the Symphony Hall property a try this weekend.

Question, how far is the walk to Gaslamp District?
15 minutes (w/ small kids) so 10 minutes by yourself. At night, some avenues/streets were more traveled (appeared safer) than others from the Gaslamp district. Head straight up 5th Avenue (almost all the way to A street, you can then get in on the bottom end of the hotel - symphony part - and take an elevator up to the hotel itself (it will bring you up to the back side of the bar/restaurant on the 12th floor).

Have a great time,

Singlepoint
Old Dec 11, 2007, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Originally Posted by Singlepoint
15 minutes (w/ small kids) so 10 minutes by yourself. At night, some avenues/streets were more traveled (appeared safer) than others from the Gaslamp district. Head straight up 5th Avenue (almost all the way to A street, you can then get in on the bottom end of the hotel - symphony part - and take an elevator up to the hotel itself (it will bring you up to the back side of the bar/restaurant on the 12th floor).

Have a great time,

Singlepoint
Thanks again for the tip.

What is the parking like around the hotel...any off the street parking or just valet only? Most of the downtown SD properties seem to charge a lot for parking.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 11:37 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Do any of the properties within walking distance of the gaslamp have free internet? Even if i had to take my laptop down to the lobby for free wifi that would be fine. Or in room would be even better...I saw the sheraton suites has free internet on the club floor, but i imagine they dont upgrade golds on a regular basis...
Old Mar 5, 2008, 4:11 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Diam, MR Plat, AA Plat, CO Elite Plat., Hertz Gold
If you want a nice hotel walking distance to the gaslamp, I would recommend the Westin Horton Plaza. Free wifi in the lobby.

Gaslamp is literally right across the street but with the shopping center separating you from the noise on 4th or broadway.

Too many problems at the US grant, and Westin San Diego (down the street) is a little worn and dated. Westin Horton Plaza is newly remodeled and a 2 min walk to restaurants, bars, etc.. in gaslamp.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 7:26 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by socalplat
If you want a nice hotel walking distance to the gaslamp, I would recommend the Westin Horton Plaza. Free wifi in the lobby.

Gaslamp is literally right across the street but with the shopping center separating you from the noise on 4th or broadway.

Too many problems at the US grant, and Westin San Diego (down the street) is a little worn and dated. Westin Horton Plaza is newly remodeled and a 2 min walk to restaurants, bars, etc.. in gaslamp.
thanks for the help. i just booked it
Old Apr 1, 2008, 11:49 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Diam, MR Plat, AA Plat, CO Elite Plat., Hertz Gold
Just a FYI update, the Bay Tower at the Sheraton Marina is now closed for renovations. Not sure when it will re-open.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by socalplat

I was about to book the US Grant, what are the problems, I'm a bit concerned now. I did read on another review site that there were problems with beggars in the evening
Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:28 pm

Programs: Welfare
Just a FYI, the Westin Horton Plaza has just changed it's name to Westin Gaslamp Quarter.

http://www.hotelinteractive.com/hi_i...ticle_id=10344
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:00 am

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
The W, Westin Gaslamp or Westin SD

The GF and I (in our mid 20s, like to go out) looking to book a long weekend in August in SD. We were looking at the W (284/nt), the Westin Gaslamp (295/nt) and the Westin SD(219/nt). (All prices w/o AAA disc.) Some of our planned activites were to go to the beach, make a run down to Tijuana and go to a Padres game -- just generally exploration. Do any of the hotels have a pool on the property? The W Master Thread said the pool was small and left quite a bit to be desired -- can anyone confirm or deny?

We have an early flight in on Friday and the redeye back to NY on Sunday night, so it really is almost three full days.

Thanks for your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.