Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Montreal, Quebec 2007 on [Master Thread]

Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

W Montreal, Quebec 2007 on [Master Thread]

Old Feb 1, 2009, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Currently staying in the middle of two night stay at the W Montreal for the weekend. Preassigned upgrade at check-in to a Fantastic Suite from a Wonderful Room. Cool room basically as described: this is essentially a "jr. suite" in conventional hotel terms. The very large open bathtub is a centerpiece. The TV swivels to viewable from either the sofa side or the bed. However, the 4 foot high room divided partially block the right side of the TV in you are sitting/laying on the right side of the bed, which is a little weird -- there was no reason to have to construct the divider like that.

After checking in, noticed that TV reception was poor. Engineering was unable to fix and was moved to a bi-level WOW suite on the 10th floor.

The room is very cool, but the bed of room 1003 seems to be up against the elevator motor, and so you hear and feel a grumbling all day/night long, every time the elevator moves. The engineer was here and confirmed the issue (mumbled something in French which I didn't understand) and said he was going to speak to the Manager on Duty to see what they can. The response was to move us one room over to 1005 where they promised it would be "quiet". Well, it was quieter, but you could still hear and feel the rumbling of the elevator motor/hydrolics. Not sure how they felt the moving one room over was going to eliminate all noise. I don't know why they would put anyone in 1003...1005 is a closer call, but still a problem. The noise from the elevator is extremely intrusive and I was unable to sleep well as a result. I will be following up with the manager on the elevator noise after the stay. Maybe they should combine these rooms, and put the bedroom on the main (10th) floor (where I don't think you will hear the elevator) and the living room up in the loft? Anyway, I recommend that people steer clear of these rooms.

Overall, I think the hotel is great the staff is excellent, especially the Concierge Daniel.

Last edited by nologic; Feb 2, 2009 at 8:28 am
Old Feb 2, 2009, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
One additional note: the hotel has discontinued providing free coffee in the morning for hotel guests.

We did find a good place for a quick breakfast called Bagel Express (omlettes, bagels, crepes, coffee, fresh OJ, etc.) about a block away, up the hill on the right.

As for parking, there is ample street parking which is free overnight (I think charges start at 9am). There are also smaller side streets (away from the river) which are totally free (no meters) over the weekends.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 3:18 am

Programs: SPG, NWA, etc.
Questions

Hi folks. Although I was planning a very romantic weekend in Quebec City, given the limited choice of Starwood properties coupled with my free night Plat. gift, I've decided to do W Montreal instead. So I'm hoping to get down over the Easter Weekend.

A couple questions:

1. Since this is a very *big* weekend and I am hoping for romantic, any suggestions on how to get the best upgrade as a plat member? I will bo staying two nights (weekend), one night paying cash and the second using the free stay.
2. Does this hotel offer free breakfast or other amenities for plat members?
3. Is there a lounge?
4. Anything else I should know about W Hotels? I've never stayed at a W Hotel so this will be a first.

Finally, I've never used the platinum concierge service before. Might this be a good time to give it a shot?
Thanks everyone!
Old Feb 15, 2009, 6:14 pm

Programs: Via 1 Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
W Montreal Answers

1. I only manage to stay there one night during my visits and as a Platinum have always been upgraded to a Fantastic Suite. It always depends on availability and in my experience if I stayed at a property for more than 1 night I tend not to get a suite but that's me.

2. No breakfast unfortunately. They have two places where you can have breakfast, Otto and the Cafe on the main floor. But as other posters noted there are some alternatives outside and hopefully the weather will be better for you to venture out. The fitness centre is very modern. Free wifi on the ground floor the last time I was there.

3. There is no lounge like the Sheratons. There are two bars on the property. For me, the W is the hip place to be in Montreal for SPG. The Sheraton has a very nice lounge with free breakfasts and snacks at night for Platinums.

4. There are 4 SPG properties in Montreal. As in my previous reply, the W has the cool factor. If you want to dance and party, this is the place to be with the Wunderbar. Be prepared, the halls and some places are darker than normal. It's the vibe.

Hope this helps.

Redstorm

Originally Posted by workmanja
Hi folks. Although I was planning a very romantic weekend in Quebec City, given the limited choice of Starwood properties coupled with my free night Plat. gift, I've decided to do W Montreal instead. So I'm hoping to get down over the Easter Weekend.

A couple questions:

1. Since this is a very *big* weekend and I am hoping for romantic, any suggestions on how to get the best upgrade as a plat member? I will bo staying two nights (weekend), one night paying cash and the second using the free stay.
3. Is there a lounge?
4. Anything else I should know about W Hotels? I've never stayed at a W Hotel so this will be a first.

Finally, I've never used the platinum concierge service before. Might this be a good time to give it a shot?
Thanks everyone!
Old Feb 15, 2009, 7:46 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
W Montreal will be very busy over easter weekend...
http://www.balenblanc.com/eng/index.html
Old Feb 15, 2009, 9:34 pm

A couple questions:

3. Is there a lounge?

Thanks everyone!
Why not let the hotel/GM know you are coming for a big, romantic weekend and ask them

As you have heard, no lounge, no breakfast, and (sas of last week), no free coffee in the lobby in the morning, but yes to free hot chocolate and pieces of cookies in the afternoon.

But, I think it is a terrific hotel for the money, and the only "romantic" spg hotel.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 2:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Try the Maple Mojito in the bar!
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:39 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Agree with redtsorm- Generally plats will get upgraded to a fantastic suite- which is nice (ask for a corner suite if available), but not absolutely amazing. I stay at this property usually once a week and thats my standard upgrade- however they have hooked me up in the past due to my loyalty (ex. I had a Wow suite upgrade this past Valentines day weekend).

If it is really special occasion I'd recommend trying to get a Wow Suite (bi-level loft like suite with huge windows)- even if you have to pay extra or use points. Email the GM and see what they can do- the management at the hotel is very responsive. I know they routinely sell out, especially on weekends, so don't show up the day of check-in hoping to score one. They aren't "select standard suites" so they don't have to upgrade platinums even if they are available.

As for your first time at a W- I think you will be impressed if you are looking for a scene. The check-in will usually have loud music playing and everyone working there is good looking. The only real annoying thing is that the lighting is very poor. There is generally no overhead lighting in the rooms- just desk lamps or side table lamps. Ipod docks/speakers are standard and all of the showers are waterfall- with a large head pouring water down vertically from the ceiling. Bliss products are great- body butter, foaming fash wash and lemon/ sage soaps/shampoos. Hallways are especially dark and the club in the lounge gets pretty packed at night (you can always jump the line as a hotel guest). All food/ drinks are expensive so plan to shell out cash if you want to eat on site- for ex. a bowl of raisin bran is $17 and coffee is $9. The restaurant Otto is decent, but way overpriced ($30-$40/ entree). Valet is $40 which is funny because the hotel isn't in the downtown area and theres lots of cheap street parking. Internet is also $25/day (though you get 1 hour free if you log in from the lobby and then go up to your room).

Overall its a cool hotel in a unique location- between the downtown and Old Port. Staff will bend over backwards to make your trip pleasant which is why this is my hotel of choice in Montreal. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 8:49 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Some updated Wow Suite pics...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35539225@N06/

This was one of the larger ones.. some Wow suites have a smaller living room/ balcony
Old Feb 26, 2009, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
My New Year's Stay at W Montreal

I had a stay at this W just before New Year's. The experience was simply fantastic, and this is one of my new favorite W properties. We were upgraded to a Corner Fantastic Suite on an upper floor, and absolutely loved the room. Check-in staff could not have been more friendly, and the concierge was very helpful in arranging ski lessons for us at the Westin Tremblant. The Suite came with an iphone 3G, with preloaded apps that recommended restaurants and sights in Montreal. The GPS functionality of the iphone was also extremely useful for navigating around Montreal on foot, as neither of us had been there before. I was sad to leave after just three days in Montreal, and will definitely be back. Below are some photos of the Hotel and the Fantastic Suite they placed us in:

W Montreal Lobby

Fantastic Suite Living Room (iPhone 3G Visible on Top-Right of Desk)

Fantastic Suite Living Room & Open-Plan Bathroom

Fantastic Suite Open Plan Bathroom

Fantastic Suite Open Plan Bathroom

Fantastic Suite Soaking Tub With Rubber-Duck

Fantastic Suite Bed
Old Feb 26, 2009, 3:19 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Thanks guys for sharing all of those wonderful pictures!
Old Feb 26, 2009, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
OMG ALCO, I think we've slept in the same bed
Old Jul 9, 2009, 1:25 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Questions on W Montreal

I am planning a possible weekend in Montreal in August with family (spouse and two teenagers). I have stayed at the Sheraton before and it is getting old and tired, the Le Meridien looks even worse.
Questions: Is the W acceptable for a family on a weekend? Do some rooms have two beds instead of only one? Are some bathrooms closed off with a door so there is a degree of privacy to shower?
Old Jul 9, 2009, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by GB
I am planning a possible weekend in Montreal in August with family (spouse and two teenagers). I have stayed at the Sheraton before and it is getting old and tired, the Le Meridien looks even worse.
Questions: Is the W acceptable for a family on a weekend? Do some rooms have two beds instead of only one? Are some bathrooms closed off with a door so there is a degree of privacy to shower?
I once had friends stay with me in a 2 bed, park view Mega-room and the shower had a curtain so privacy wasn't an issue.
I love the W and hate the Sheraton. Le Meridien is okay.. if a little boring.
The W is very accomodating. You should have no problem getting a confirmed 2 bed Mega room (ask for the park view), which are surprisingly spacious. They treat plats very well here, so make sure you add the comments that you need the 2 beds- otherwise you'll get a fantastic suite upgrade which is featured up-thread.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by GB
Actually if you look at my review of the Sheraton from march of this year you might be suprised at how nice I found the renovated rooms to be.
Plus having a lounge is a big savings when it comes to breakfast.

I LOVE the WMontreal-but if you need space four for people in a room I am thinking a JR suite at the Sheraton(with a fold out sleeper)might be a better fit

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.