Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Valencia, Spain [Master Thread]

Westin Valencia, Spain [Master Thread]

Old Sep 10, 06, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA advantage/Starwood Plat
Thumbs up Westin Valencia Review

My partner and I have just returned from a four night stay at the Westin Valencia and had a great stay. Here's a short review as none seem to have been posted yet.

The hotel had a "soft opening" on 16th August which means it is not completley finished yet. The spa, pool, club bar and independent restaurant have yet to open. Rooms open to date are "premium", "deluxe" "grand deluxe" & "junior suite".

The building is a conversion of an old wool factory built in 1917 and is stunning. It is built around a large courtyard which remains cool in the sultry heat that was present during our stay and a great place for an evening drink. It is just outside the town centre (a good thing, away from the heat and noise) but is a short five minute walk from the centre across a flower covered bridge and right by the Metro.

We saw three types of rooms. We booked a "grand deluxe" which is a "deluxe" room with the addition of an outside terrace on the top (two storey building) floor. We were offered a plat upgrade to a "junior suite" but declined as it had no terrace. The Executive suites with terrace are not ready yet!

Plat amenity consists of the usual options or a "local" amenity which was a surprise and turned out to be an expensive bottle of olive oil which we can thoroughly recommend.

The rooms are very smart (full Westin theming) with "heavenly bath & shower" separate toilet and dressing room. The "deluxe", "grand deluxe" & "junior suite" were all spacious, the only diffference was floor space and enhanced toiletries in the suite. We reccomend the rooms with terrace as it feels very spacious with an outdoor area. The other rooms are all very pleasant however the "junior suite" has no advantage but size and has no separate sitting area, just all one square room. We saw two of these and declined both, the tv is also the same size as other rooms which is too small for the size of room. All rooms feel spacious and all contain roughly the same amount of furniture.

Breakfast is amazing, imagine breakfast fare served as tapas in a nouvelle cuisine style and you have some idea. Freshly squeezed juices, gazpacho, fruit salad made to order, mini pastries or if you really want to be boring they will cook you the standard stuff although there were no takers while we were there. Everyone was cooing over the presentation and content of the stuff on display. This has got to be the best breakfast we have seen in the Starwood group to date.

Dinner was equally amazing, not cheap by local standards (about 100 Euros for two without wine) but I get the feeling that this place will be setting the standard for Valencia, we ate there on two evenings which is something we rarely do opting for smaller local venues usually.

Staff are young and enthusiastic, friendly and helpfull.

In short we can't wait to back and are trying to work it into our trip to Seville in Feb '07 even though we should be nowhere near it and it is a 8 hour detour by train. Yes it is that good and no, we were not paid write this review. Valencia is really interesting as well, but no time to tell you about the city as well.
Old Sep 10, 06, 6:50 pm

Great review, thanks for the heads up ^ I will be in Valencia in a month, and even though staying elsewhere, I am considering dinner at the hotel because of you

By the way, did they mention when the executive rooms will open?
Old Sep 11, 06, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DorianGray
Great review, thanks for the heads up ^ I will be in Valencia in a month, and even though staying elsewhere, I am considering dinner at the hotel because of you

By the way, did they mention when the executive rooms will open?
No they didn't give me a date, but I would think December is the earliest as they are not taking reservations until 2007.

Do eat in the hotel though it is great. A second restaurant will open, again possibly Dec' run by an outside franchise but will need to go a long way to beat the one already in house. It seem odd however as they are promoting this forthcoming opening as more upmarket than the one already open!!

One place to avoid however is La Pepica on the waterfront. Famous for serving Paella to the likes of Ernest Hemmingway the Spanish royals and others. When we went it was packed with locals and big family groups (normally a recomendation) however our seafood paella was a very nasty affair it tasted of burnt cheap vegetable oil and the lurid yellow colour was not caused by any contact with saffron. AVOID.

One absolute must to do in town is visit the aquarium L'oceongraphic (biggest in Europe), we normally wizz around these sort of atractions but it took us four hours. Great fun!
Old Nov 19, 06, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
how was your stay? any other trip reports?
Stay was problematic, rooms with balcony which reservation was taken for were not completed and they tried to offer an "upgrade" to a junior suite, which was an oversized under furnished room with no terrace. Not happy with that and demanded a terrace which we got on night two,we were the first guests so it was spotless!

Housekeeping obviously told to watch the budget as premium toiletries (molton brown) were not replenished until reception sorted that out despite asking housekeeping.

Overall quite a few teeething problems but they were eventually resolved graciously.

However the hotel is great and the breakfasts spectacular, best I have seen anywhere, tapas meets sushi if you can imagine.

Have booked another leisure break in January for myself and gifting another weekend break as a Chirstmas gift for a friend. If they have ironed out the faults it will be fantastic, if not well it is still a great hotel. I hate reccomending hotels as tastes vary but this one I am happy to. Good location as well. Walking distance to the town centre and nice quiet spot (not common in Valencia)
Old Mar 3, 07, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Return trip in January..Report:-

Hotel just gets better, some balcony rooms now have hot tub as well, very nice. Classy and well located.

Staff attentive and very professional.

However dining has gone from suberb, the best ever, to the worst ever experienced. Evidently the top notch chef walked and whoever replaced him does not have the skills for the job. Breakfast was appalling, bought in baked goods and stone cold "hot selection" I missed breakfast on second day as couldn't face it (a first for me), Evening dining no better, the menu looked great but the chef could not produce the advertised dishes. Much food not eaten, other diner doing the same! Left the hotel having to eat at the airport, not a good idea!

This hotel needs to sort this before the Americas Cup or it will not get the return business it would have had , if it could have kept the original chef.

Unlikely to return unless I hear reports of drastic changes, such a shame as I thought i had found the ideal weekend retreat.

Old May 24, 07, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by douglas99 View Post
Return trip in January..Report:-

Hotel just gets better, some balcony rooms now have hot tub as well, very nice. Classy and well located.

Staff attentive and very professional.

However dining has gone from suberb, the best ever, to the worst ever experienced. Evidently the top notch chef walked and whoever replaced him does not have the skills for the job. Breakfast was appalling, bought in baked goods and stone cold "hot selection" I missed breakfast on second day as couldn't face it (a first for me), Evening dining no better, the menu looked great but the chef could not produce the advertised dishes. Much food not eaten, other diner doing the same! Left the hotel having to eat at the airport, not a good idea!

This hotel needs to sort this before the Americas Cup or it will not get the return business it would have had , if it could have kept the original chef.

Unlikely to return unless I hear reports of drastic changes, such a shame as I thought i had found the ideal weekend retreat.

I heard also amazing things about the restaurant there...

Heard it was one of the best in town. Heading there one day but just caught your review and it is stopping me. Have you been back, or anyone else? The rates seem overly high for this property, I guess the America's Cup keeps them inflated...
Old Nov 27, 07, 2:32 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold, KLM Flying Blue, LH Miles&More
Review of my stay in The Westin Valencia, Spain.

See pics: http://travel.webshots.com/album/560...xvhSGJ?start=0

After having a direct but cramped flight with Transavia Airlines I was picked up for the transfer to the hotel. The hotel arranged this for me. However the hotel charged me extra money for the transfer, it seemed the driver had to wait for me. It was strange since the flight was not delayed.

The Westin Valencia is housed in a beautiful old factory building. See my pics. When entering the hotel some refreshment is offered.
Check-in was ok, though the woman seemed rather formal/arrogant. During my stay this woman seemed to be more or less unfriendly of even arrogant in the way she served the guests.

I did receive an upgrade! The room was not ready yet, and personnel was busy with filling the jacuzzi on the terrace with water. I bumped into a very friendly German woman who recently joined the personnel of the Westin Valencia. She apologised for the inconvenience that my room was not ready yet.
The interior of the room was more or less in brown colours, it seemed not very spacious. Since it used to be a factory, you will not find any windows. Except the terrace door has one. The room was large enough for two Heavenly beds, a small sitting area and a working area. The bathroom was very stylish with a separate large shower area and separate toilet.
The stylish bathroom table appeared to be smallish and not practical. Once my favourite bottle of Davidoff eau de toilet slipped of the bathroom table . It fell through the small opening on the side of the table, and broke!

The terrace of the room was quite nice, and sitting outside in the jacuzzi after a long day is very relaxing. I enjoyed it very much.
Concerning the Heavenly beds, since it was so hot outside I wonder why the bed has so many warm layers on top of it. The only way to sleep is to “ strip off “ the layers and turning the AC max. which makes no sense. Furthermore it contributes to the costs of electricity and to the global warming effects !

Public areas of the hotel are well maintained and during the day you can notice the cleaning ladies.

Since I like to work out, I visited the Spa.
The fitness area was smallish with no windows, not an attractive area to do your workout, in my opinion. Still I could find some excellent machines for a workout.
The swimming pool area was great. The pool was large and excellent for a good swim. Besides the pool you can find a kind of rainforest shower.
The Spa offers several treatments and after your massage you can relax in a beautiful designed relaxing area.

The hotel offers two restaurants, they both have a terrace in the garden. One of these is Rosmarino Restaurant. In the morning breakfast was served inside, and outside on the terrace. I preferred to have it outside with a nice view of the garden.
The range of products of the breakfast buffet appeared to be rather limited. It was hard for me to find the “ healthy, low fat” products.. For instance every morning I had to ask for the low fat yoghurt. There was one small table with some sort of muesli however.
In general, the quality of the products is very good. They do serve a delicious cappuccino in the morning. Service was friendly, though not all the personnel could speak English.

In the evenings I have had many dinners on the terrace of the Rosmarino restaurant. Service was great, friendly an efficient. However the quality of the served food was very low and the portions minimalistic. The restaurant hardly serve any vegetables. If you do want some vegetables it is sliced in very tiny slices with almost not taste.
One evening I had a steak, which appeared to be of such a low quality I had to give it back. The kitchen agreed with me when they tasted the steak themselves!
One of the waiters, Sergio, did his best to compensate for the lack of quality of the food, f.i. he served some extra good wines, ordered vegetables for the next day and made me feel at home while waiting for the food. Without this, I would have been looking for another restaurant in town. It seems to me, he is one of the stars of Starwood!

In the stylish bar you can find a small library with interesting books. You can have a comfortable sit inside, or on the nice terrace with a view of the garden.

The location of the hotel is in a quiet neighbourhood and close to the city centre. In 10 – 15 you can walk to the city. The excellent and modern underground is 5 minutes away from the hotel.

Would I go back? I do not know:
The gym area is not attractive for me, and I like a good gym. The pool was very nice however.
Concerning the quality of the food and drinks, I always have my dinners in Starwood restaurants since in general they serve food and drinks of a high quality.
However, the food in the restaurant was very very disappointing: the lack of quality, the very small portions, no paella to order, the lack of vegetables and the relative high prices for this kind of food! Compared to the overall quality of the hotel, Starwood should be ashamed for a restaurant serving this kind of food! However, the wines tasted very good and the service was perfect and friendly
Furthermore, the rooms are in my experience not very luxurious. I did like the jacuzzi and terrace. I do not like the layout of the room however. There is the lack of windows and a nice view.
The service in the hotel was very friendly, and it made me feel at home.

See pics: http://travel.webshots.com/album/560...xvhSGJ?start=0

Last edited by claes059; Nov 27, 07 at 2:37 pm
Old Nov 27, 07, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Thnaks for the pics!!
Old Nov 29, 07, 2:13 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold, KLM Flying Blue, LH Miles&More
Originally Posted by BlissWorld View Post
Thnaks for the pics!!
You're welcome!
I will post another review with pics of the Sheraton & Westin Real de Faula soon!
Old Jan 6, 09, 3:35 pm

Westin Valencia?

Has anyone from here stayed at Westin Valencia, and do you have any feedback on it compared to other similar hotels in Valencia?

I'm planning on a visit there in February and I would like to hear FT people's feedback, because I did a search here but could not find anything, and I find FT people's opinions to be far more reliable than other travel sites. Thank you!
Old Jan 15, 09, 11:12 pm

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
Recent stays here anyone?

I was just wondering if anyone had stayed here recently, and if so, how they were at upgrading Plats?.....what the atmosphere of the hotel was?...which room they would advise booking......the only reviews here date from soon after the opening.

Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 09, 8:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, QF LTG
My partner and I stayed at the Westin Valencia two weeks ago. I've no status with Starwood, so no upgrades from the 'standard' room that we'd booked, however it was anything but standard. We were very impressed, the room was enormous, the marble bathroom was huge, with a full walk in shower for two, a full bath, separate toilet, sitting area and one of the largest and most comfortable beds I've ever slept in.

The hotel is quite lovely, really tastefully decorated, more of a classic contemporary feel, but sparklingly clean and beautifully presented. Location of the hotel, as posted previously, is great. A short walk into the old town, but neatly tucked into a quiet neighbourhood.

Staff were good too. Efficient and professional, without any fuss. We didn't eat at the hotel, so I can't comment on the restaurants, but I'd certainly recommend this property. I can't compare it to any other properties in Valencia, however I'd not hesitate to return to the Westin.
Old Mar 19, 10, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Amy recent reviews here? Thinking of heading this way in May... Thanks!!
Old Apr 29, 10, 8:32 pm

I stayed here last month. I booked a family package rate and when I couldn't reserve this online, the hotel was helpful in confirming the rate and reservation.

From 2 nights stay for a maximum of 2 adults and 2 children

* Accommodation in a Junior or Executive Suite
* Third night for free (3 x 2) at check-out time
* Buffet breakfast at Rosmarino restaurant
* Ticket to The City of Arts and Sciences or Bioparc
* Parking at the hotel

The first day we arrived late and the junior suite (on 2nd floor) was all set up with an extra bed. The junior suite is a large room but had a wrap around terrace. The terrace seemed bigger than the room itself and had a table with 4 chairs and 2 lounge chairs. The lounge chairs appear to be indoor furniture and although white in color had already begun to blackened but expectedly. As I have 2 young boys, I asked (the next day) if it's possible to have a 2nd bed but realistically the room isn't that large and it would have been difficult. By late morning, the hotel had arranged to have me upgraded to the executive suite. The executive suite was on the first floor and did not have a terrace but consisted of 2 equal sized rooms; bedroom and a living room (sofa, chairs, circular dining table with 4 chairs) which could fit 2 beds easily despite all the other furniture in the room. I wouldn't say there is much of a view surrounding the hotel and should you receive a room facing the interior (we did not), it may be a bit more idyllic as they have a garden set up with lounge chairs within their courtyard.

Buffet breakfast at Rosemarino's was excellent and the staff was very attentive. I did not use the health club but did check it out and it was well equipped including a newer type of resistance machine. It's unfortunate that the hotel does not allow kids in the pool and charges 10 Euros per person. I didn't take the kids to see the pool as they would have been very disappointed with the hotel policy.

Staff was always extremely helpful. Overall, a great stay.
Old Sep 4, 10, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Currently staying five nights...

Lovely property, very quiet, elegant, and sophisticated. Just a few blocks from the old city, close to everything. Room service is great, hotel is beautiful. Valencia is magical. Life is good. :-)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: