Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Vacation Club 90-minute sales presentation

Marriott Vacation Club 90-minute sales presentation

Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards-Lifetime Titanium, Priority Club-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, United-Silver
Originally Posted by sammyindc
It's not by unit but by points. You buy a certain amount of points and you use them at any vacation clubs you want.

The current rate is $11.4 per point so if you're looking at 3,500 points it would be $39,900 but they always offer discounts.
If you interest in buying a timeshare, Ebay is where you will find the best prices on deeded week re-sales.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: NEXUS, Amex Plat. JPMorgan Palladium
Marriott Surf Club

Marriott just called prior to our departure and offered a 90 min seminar in return I will receive a $400 credit to use at the resort during my stay. After reading the forum it seems legit and I'll receive the $400. Am I missing something? Will I need to sign on the dotted line to receive the money? Any hints to avoid being pressured and harassed? Thanks
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
My experience has been that you should receive the promised "bribe" for attending a timeshare presentation. You don't have to make an actual purchase to receive the gift. But I'm surprised at the amount you say that you've been offered. A more typical gift might be on the order of either a $75-100 gift card or 10,000 to 15,000 Marriott points.

I'd listen to what they say and, if you are not interested, a polite but firm no should suffice. Some timeshare salespeople are pushier than others, of course, so a few nos is sometimes needed. Expect that they might tell you that you've been given a special, limited time opportunity, and the offer is only good on the day of the presentation or for a very limited time afterwards. They'll say that if you don't act now, prices will be going up.
yscleo likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Gold

Originally Posted by jdavis2ca
Marriott just called prior to our departure and offered a 90 min seminar in return I will receive a $400 credit to use at the resort during my stay. After reading the forum it seems legit and I'll receive the $400. Am I missing something? Will I need to sign on the dotted line to receive the money? Any hints to avoid being pressured and harassed? Thanks
Just be firm and politely decline at the end of the sales pitch.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Also $400 sounds very generous. They must really want you!
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards, Marriott Vacation Club
90 minutes is only if you ask no questions.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:44 pm

I know this is an old thread but i could not find an answer anywhere.

I went to an MVC presentation for 30K points, are these points elite qualifying? I ask the scheduler and the sales lady and no one knew.

I also didnt buy but they offered me a 5-night vacation package for $1000 plus 50K points so i took that because my family offered to split it with me. Are these 50K points elite qualifying?

Last edited by osugrad2x; Nov 19, 2017 at 10:10 pm
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
The points do count towards LIfetime Status
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:32 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by osugrad2x
I went to an MVC presentation for 30K points, are these points elite qualifying?
Marriott only uses "nights" for annual elite qualifications. So if you are asking if the 30K you received will help you get Silver/Gold/Plat elite status this year, the answer is no. Unless you used that 30K to stay one or more nights at a Marriott hotel, then those nights you stayed would be "elite qualifying".

As holocker notes, LT status does require a minimum number of earned points and the 30K will count there.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Marriott only uses "nights" for annual elite qualifications. So if you are asking if the 30K you received will help you get Silver/Gold/Plat elite status this year, the answer is no. Unless you used that 30K to stay one or more nights at a Marriott hotel, then those nights you stayed would be "elite qualifying".

As holocker notes, LT status does require a minimum number of earned points and the 30K will count there.
Yep, I was asking about LT status. I'm <300K away and i'm seeing the light now so i'm trying to make some moves before any craziness happens with the merge.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
I’ve just been offered 25k by the MVC desk to attend a presentation in a couple of days. They swiped my credit card as they said the points are credited straight away and therefore it’s in case I no-show. Now I’m reading the receipt and it basically says that if I don’t show up, I’ll be charged $20.00

Any idea if this means I would be buying 25k for $20, and if I don’t turn up I can keep the points? Although this might appear morally objectionable at first, I have no intention to buy a timeshare and I’m doing this solely for the points, so I would actually be saving the sales rep’s time (and mine) by not turning up.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Choice, an independent consumer organisation in Australia, has awarded Marriott Vacation Club a winner in its annual Shonky awards "for trapping holiday-makers into a bad deal of a lifetime".

https://www.choice.com.au/shonky-awa...-2018/marriott
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
Marriott Vacation Club Sales Pitch

I sat through an MVC sales pitch last month (good benefits) and I am already getting contacted again. What is the shortest time between sales pitches for you guys?

Last edited by Dalewood; Jan 10, 2019 at 9:47 am
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:52 am

LOVE the Marriott Vacation Club PRODUCT. But the "presentations" in recent years have become less and less pleasant.

My wife and I went on our first presentation 25 years ago in Hawaii. It was so low-key and professional. While we did not "buy" that day, we walked out and vowed we would one day. ...and we did.
Things have changed. Instead of classy and feeling like you're buying into something on a whole different level than other timeshares, the sales tactics have become just like all the others. It's kind of like the difference between buying a Toyota and a Lexus. One would expect the Lexus sales associates to carry themselves on a much higher level than a Toyota sales associate. Marriott timeshare sales agents used to be the Lexus of the timeshare industry. The old way was no sleeze factor. The new way is just a better dressed used car salesman.

Again, words can not convey how we have truly enjoyed the product.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:24 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dalewood
What is the shortest time between sales pitches for you guys?
I'm not sure what the "rules" are supposed to be, but the shortest time I had between sales pitches was 1 week though that was about 15 or so years ago. Took the family on a 2 week Hawaii trip using award points at the then brand new Waiohai property and the following week at the Ko Olina property. (Back then when MVCI properties first opened, there was tons on award availability to be had as owners hadn't purchased a lot of the inventory yet.) Both properties offered the "tour" with some nice benefits. So we took them both with no issues (and no purchase of course.)
yscleo likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.