FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Four Points by Sheraton Panoramahaus Dornbirn, Austria [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/610853-four-points-sheraton-panoramahaus-dornbirn-austria-master-thread.html)

sdsearch Sep 12, 2012 12:35 pm

I had one (one-night) stay there a few days ago, and have another one coming up tomorrow night.

On my completed stay, they upgraded me to an excutive level corner suite (I'm not sure what executive level means exactly, though, since there is no lounge and it doesn't automatically come with breakfast). I discovered a problem with the wired internet not working from my room, which after a bunch of experiments (including trying selveral other rooms) and then calling the provider's tech support, the provider figured out it was a server problem. That evening, I had to go up a level to the restaurant and use the wireless there (the wireless doesn't reach to the floor below except in just a very few rooms; I know because I was walking around tying to see if they could move me to a room with wireless working, but it turned out there are few of those and they were already all occupied). The wired internet did work the following morning.

As a Plat I got the breakfast (instead of 250 points). For that it seemed an ok value. I agree though that it didn't seem to be of 19 Euros value, in my case not because of noticing anything I wanted missing, but more for the not-so-great quality and presentation compared to the free breakfasts at several much cheaper indie hotels I stayed in (in other Austrain and Swiss towns) on the same trip!

Anyway, other than this I found it quite decent. Nice free underground parking. Very nice and super-helpful staff.

One warning: They asked me if I wanted to billed in US dollars or Euros. I'm glad I was awake (and thus correctly told them Euros, to avoid the dreaded Dynamic Currency Conversion). I wonder how people fall for this, realizing it's a ploy to pad the bill with currency conversion fees (and doesn't save them anything on foreign transaction fees on thier credit card!).

sdsearch Sep 19, 2012 6:31 pm

avoid this hotel if you want internet access in your room!!!!!!!!!!

So I had a second stay there a week later, and that time the wired internet in my upgraded (junior suite) room never worked (it was not even fixed by the morning, even though I contacted the support staff in the evening as on my preivous stay).

Luckily I happened to be in one of the very few rooms on the 10th floor that can pick up the free wireless internet from the restuarant on the 11th floor. However, this wireless interent did not work at my desk, at my bed, or hardly anwhere in the room except right next to the door! So I had to wheel the desk chair to sit by the door, with my laptop actually on my lap, just to be able to use the internet.

To have this happen once (and then get fixed by the next morning) on one stay (as detailed in my previous post, right above), that seemed like it could have just been a fluke.

But now that I've had no working wired internet on two out of two stays, a week apart, that is unexcusable and smells of a pattern.

Compounding the problem: The hotel does not have a laptop with a wired internet port. So they cannot test the wired internet htmeselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yet, the hotel does not have wireless internet except in the 11th floor restaurant and in the lobby around on the ground floor. And so wired is the only internet available in almost all the rooms.

(I know the problem was not in my laptop, because wired internet worked perfectly for me at the Sheraton Fuschlsee the previous night, and at the Hilton Zurich Airport two nights later. I don't know how many rooms this problem affected, but on my first stay a hotel staffer and I had tried several rooms on multiple floors, and wired internet wasn't working in any of them. I didn't bother repeating this experiment on the second stay.)

cln Dec 2, 2012 1:00 pm

Just came back from a one night stay. The hotel was completely booked. No upgrade, no early check-in as i expected. Had to ask for plat amenity. The room was basic and small but with a very nice view/nice bathroom. No wifi in room.
The hotel is stylish but staff is new and not everything went smooth.
The spa/pool area is very nice but was very busy.
I sat down at the Bar area waiting for 20 minutes but the only bartender was too busy handling all the people so i left without a drink.
We tried to eat in the restaurant but didnt make a reservation before. They were fully booked for that evening, so we went back to to room.
I tried to look for a menu for the room service but there wasnt one in the room.
So i called the room service and was told: " We not have room service available now you haveto waitat least 2 HOURS for your FOOD. But dont forget the kitchen close already at around 10:00 "
:td::mad: So we asked at the reception for a restaurant around the area with austrian food. So we walked to the restaurant they named which offered burgers and mexican wraps, ....

Breakfast was totally overcrowded. People had to wait more than 30 minutes to get seated. Spread and quality was ok.

The hardware is nice,.... the software needs improvement.

It's a new team working there, many of them just moved there.

fred8ab Jan 5, 2013 12:40 am

just an update. I stayed here beginn this week and the rooms have been
upgraded with:

-in room wifi ^^^
-new bigger I think 42 flat screens
- better in room entertainment

For me its very nice as this is my 2nd home.

sdsearch Jan 5, 2013 10:05 am

Originally Posted by fred8ab (Post 19979282)
just an update. I stayed here beginn this week and the rooms have been
upgraded with:

-in room wifi ^^^
-new bigger I think 42 flat screens
- better in room entertainment

For me its very nice as this is my 2nd home.

So now they have wifi working on all floors? I just want to clarify, because they previously (as of September 2012) had wifi working only in a small fraction of the rooms, but it did work in a small fraction of the rooms (ones very close to the restaurant on the top floor and maybe also in a couple other places in the building), so I want to make sure you weren't just in one of those "special" rooms.

Andie007 Jan 5, 2013 6:29 pm

I was there mid of Dec and they've been in the refurbishment process for the whole hotel. So should now work in all rooms.

It's such a great SPG hotel! Love it.

karenkay Jun 25, 2015 11:20 am

I am in the hotel now. Internet works great.

Upgraded to a Junior suite; if we can get the air conditioning working all will be awesome. Lovely platinum amenity of bottle of champagne and some pretty tasty cake, along with choice of breakfast, local amenity or 250 points. It's Austria, we took breakfast for two. :)

You can park for €10 in the hotel garage or for free in the parking lot belonging to the shopping center across the street--They give you a piece of paper to put on your dashboard. It's a pretty good mall, with a grocery store, a drugstore, an H&M, body shop and a bunch of other fun shops if you have a little time and desire...Plus a couple of restaurants and a coffee shop.

SLF Jun 27, 2015 8:09 am

Panoramahaus Dornbirn, Austria [Master Thread]

I've stayed at this property many times and love it. However my current stay is the first with kids in tow, and the first time I have wanted to use the pool. Unfortunately they are very strict of the minimum age limit of 16 - apparently because the fitness centre is run as a separate business from the hotel (catering more to local resident fitness club members I guess).

Unfortunately this rules out this hotel for a 4-room x 3 night stay I was planning on August - I am glad I found this out now

Oddly no Platinum wine/cake welcome this time, I've had it every time in the past which has made this place welcoming

banzani Jun 28, 2015 3:07 pm

Panoramahaus Dornbirn, Austria [Master Thread]

Purely for the record, the amenity is a cheap 3-4 EUR sparkling wine. Still a nice touch and some will enjoy it, but you should not expect Champagne.

There is the option to use the pool with kids after hours, but it's not really by the book and most likely not a basis for a planned holiday.

karenkay Jun 30, 2015 12:53 am

as a follow up, the AC in our room didn't actually start working until around 5am, and we spent rather an uncomfortable night.

additionally, there's some VERY stupid management at the restaurant on the top floor. we generally don't eat at hotel restaurants, but had heard the food was decent for the area and it's a spectacular sunset view. We made a reservation for a sunset view for dinner, pushing dinner a bit later so we could enjoy the sunset.

whoever is running the restaurant has set it up so that breakfast is served on the sunset side and breakfast tables are already set up during dinner. they will not allow you to eat on that side of the restaurant. You must eat surrounded by other diners on the NON sunset side, and the the spectacular sunset goes to waste. really, really stupid, and disappointing.

absolutely correct that the amenity isn't actually champagne, it's sparkling wine and cake...but it's a full sized bottle, a nice touch, and more than many other properties do. perhaps whoever is managing the hotel should take a peek at whoever's running the restaurant upstairs.

cln Apr 29, 2017 12:48 am

I'm staying right now over the weekend.

no upgrade for me and the sparkling wine amenitiy is gone but the quality of breakfast has really improved. They have a stunning selection of regional cheese and ham, very good bread and fresh fruits.

and for those who need it, there's sparkling wine available.

Together with the spa this hotel is great value for money.

parking in the garage is 10euro per night

chimark Apr 29, 2017 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by cln (Post 28243818)
parking in the garage is 10euro per night

When we stayed a year ago, the front desk advised that we could park in the mall parking lot across the street and gave us a paper placard to place in the window of the car that we were hotel guests. No charge to park over there.

escape4 Apr 9, 2019 4:56 am

Four Points Panoramahaus Dornbirn = One of Best Four Points in the World?

Introduction We stayed overnight at Four Points Panoramahaus Dornbirn as part of a road trip. We did not need anything fancy because we were just passing by, but I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. I have not been to many Four Points hotels in the past, but nevertheless I would not hesitate to go as far as claiming it is possibly one of the best Four Points hotels in the world given that several features of the hotel are more like a Sheraton brand or even a Westin brand hotel instead. Location The hotel is located right off the highway on the outskirts of Dornbirn and you can see it clearly as you take the exit since the building is several floors high. I thought I could park for free in the shopping area on the other side of the street but unfortunately there is a gate blocking access on Sundays since the mall is closed so no parking possible, unlike other days of the week. I parked in the hotel underground garage instead for 10 EUR. For people who want to stay right in Dornbirn city center then location of the hotel might be less appealing but it worked great for us. Room I booked the entry level room for a very reasonable rate barely above 100 EUR. I was pleased to see in the Marriott app the day before that I was upgraded to a junior suite as an Ambassador guest. The room must have been renovated recently because everything was flawless. The TV was in the middle of the room to separate the bedroom from the living room which has a sofa bed so the room can accommodate 4 people. There are floor to ceiling windows and the view was nice from the 10th floor. The room was spotless throughout (and hardwood floors add to the feeling of cleanliness) and it was convenient with power plugs on each side of the bed. There is a large walk-in closet with storage space on both sides. The bathroom is very spacious, includes a bidet, and is also in mint condition like the rest of the room. All amenities which you would normally expect from a full-service hotel rather than Four Points were available in the room including bathrobes, slippers, razor, toothbrush, mouthwash, etc. If there is only one thing that reminded us that it was a Four Points hotel and not a Westin was the bathroom supplies which were the standard shower gel and shampoo dispensers in the shower rather than separate small bottles. Dining Breakfast in the restaurant has a great setting with nice panoramic views with mountains around, and also has seating outside. This was a very pleasing environment for breakfast regarding of hotel brand. But not only was the restaurant appealing, but food offerings were far more than what you would expect. There were several hot dish options including non-standard ones such as roasted veggies. If that is not enough, they have free flow sparkling wine for breakfast. Since I was driving out I did not partake but I found it impressive nonetheless for a hotel of this caliber. For dinner we ordered room service. The menu is not very extensive but at least they had choices of a fish dish, a meat dish, burgers, pizza, salads, etc. so variety was good enough for most tastes. Our Caesar salad and salami pizza were of good quality. Pool I think this hotel has a nice indoor pool and also an outdoor pool but unfortunately we did not have time and did not check them out. Overall Overall if anybody thinks about booking at this hotel and do not need a St.Regis kind level of luxury, and if you set your expectations appropriately for a Four Points, this hotel is an absolute no brainer. There is not a single aspect in which it disappointed. Ambassador suite upgrade, great views, good room design, very clean, all amenities you might need, above average breakfast including sparkling wine, etc. The only thing missing to make it a Sheraton level hotel (or above) would be a Club Lounge, but given the very reasonable price tag of this hotel to be honest you get good value regardless.

thomas199023 Sep 2, 2019 1:25 am

Have a three-night stay coming up starting tomorrow! Will report back.

cln Jun 17, 2020 2:27 pm

Had another multi night stay here with family. We had a total of 3 rooms, 1 spa suite 1 deluxe room and one business room.
The spa and pool area have just been reopened after corona closure. Loved the spa. The location is great for trips to the nearby mountains and Bregenz.
The restaurant is still a bit disappointing, the menu was very limited. Staff in all areas are great, especially at the restaurant.