Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

(Left Marriott, Dec. 2018) Hotel Des Indes, The Hague, Netherlands, LC

Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wobbly wings
Hotel leaving Marriott
The hotel will leave Marriott on 10 December 2018.

Construction Detours

Due to construction, there are currently multiple street closures and detours obstructing direct access to the hotel. Please expect and plan for travel delays accordingly. Please contact the hotel for further information.
Print Wikipost

(Left Marriott, Dec. 2018) Hotel Des Indes, The Hague, Netherlands, LC

Old Oct 4, 2006, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Arrow (Left Marriott, Dec. 2018) Hotel Des Indes, The Hague, Netherlands, LC

Can't get search to work. Has anyone stayed at this hotel? Any Plat upgrade successes? The hotel looks fantastic from the photos on the website. Also, is the hotel easy to get to if taking a train from Schiphol to Den Haag. Am considering staying there on my next trip to the Netherlands, as it's 60EUR cheaper than the Pulitzer, and I haven't been to Den Haag before.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 12:51 pm

Never been to this hotel but it is only a 10 minute walk from the train station or an extremely short taxi ride. Very nice location for exploring the Hague.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 1:54 am

Programs: SPG, KLM Flying Blue, Marriott
Des Indes is a very well known hotel in The Netherlands (and even more so in Den Haag/The Hague). The Dutch government is based in The Hague and Des Indes is the preferred place to stay for a lot of guests.

You can get to The Hague from Schiphol by train easily. The Hague has two big train stations: Hollands Spoor and Centraal Station (Central station). Most trains go to Hollands Spoor and continue to Rotterdam; some, however, go directly to Centraal and then turn around. If you take a train to centraal, you can walk to Des Indes or indeed take a taxi for about 5 minutes. From Hollands Spoor, it's about a 30 minute walk (wouldn't do that if you're not familiar with the area) or a 10/15 minute taxi ride.

Den Haag is a very nice city, and infact I used to live there for about 4 years. There's a lot to see; museums such as Panorama Mesdag, Paleis Noordeinde (palace in the middle of the city), and het binnenhof where, amongst other things, the Tweede Kamer is located (which is where I am as I write this ).

I don't know about Plat upgrade successes but in general the Dutch Starwood properties are very nice to plat's - I always get upgraded to suites at the Schiphol and Rotterdam properties.

Hope this helps!
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
Can't get search to work. Has anyone stayed at this hotel? Any Plat upgrade successes? The hotel looks fantastic from the photos on the website. Also, is the hotel easy to get to if taking a train from Schiphol to Den Haag. Am considering staying there on my next trip to the Netherlands, as it's 60EUR cheaper than the Pulitzer, and I haven't been to Den Haag before.
It's a beautiful hotel, newly renovated and decorated by the French designer Garcia (has done Hotel Costes in Paris as well). Definitely worth a try! I'm sure they treat Platinums well, as they already treat non-Platinums very well!!!
Old Oct 12, 2006, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Will be spending one night here Saturday, Oct. 28...Hopefully will get a suite upgrade. In any event, will write up a report when I get back. Pics look fantastic.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 6:13 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Des Indes was my best hotel stay of the year when I spent three nights there in July. Upgrade to 4th floor rooftop junior suite with beautiful furnishings and a large patio. The full suites were adjacent to my room.

I definitely intend to return.

The Escher Museum is just outside the hotel door.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just returned from my weekend jaunt to Den Haag. All I can say about LM Des Indes is...Wow! I got the same room type as Satori: A top-floor (4th) Corner Junior Suite with combined bedroom/sitting area, bathroom, and large balcony. The Junior Suite doubled as a spare bedroom for the presidential suite (unfortunately, the connecting door was locked ). View from the balcony was of Den Haag's central business district (towards Den Haag Centraal Station).

The hotel is very easy to get to from DH Centraal...only about a ten minute walk. It is located on Lange Voorhout, a picturesque square lined with large trees. The Escher museum is literally across the street from the hotel, and is a must-see.

Am kicking myself for not taking my camera, but the photos on the hotel website are accurate and representative of what the hotel actually looks like. The rooms were immaculately clean and well-furnished. I found the lighting & interior design reminiscent of a W, but more plush. The bathrooms are phenomenal. Heated slate floors, stylish cube-shaped marble sinks, good sized soaking tub/shower combo with monsoon shower head, heated towel rack, and a phenomenal hair-dryer (not like some of the toy models you run into in some hotels...ahem, W New Orleans). The bed itself was fantastic, better than any W or Westin bed I've ever slept in. Even the roll-away that was brought in for one of my friends was plush. Very nice bathrobes and soft towels.

I will never again pay AMS hotel rates. I have now stayed at the AMS Sheraton, Former LM Park Hotel, and Westin Rotterdam, aside from the LM Des Indes. Though the Westin Rotterdam is about 50EUR cheaper per night than the Des Indes, I will be giving all of my future business to the LM Des Indes. Den Haag is a far nicer city than Rotterdam, and far nicer, IMO, that AMS as well. I loved the area surrounding the hotel (great shops, and a fantastic indonesian restaurant about four blocks away). Compared to AMS hotel prices, the price for LM Des Indes can't be beat. Staff at LM Des Indes was exceptionally friendly and efficient as well. Given that you can be at Den Haag Centraal in just 30 mins from Schiphol...I see no reason to continue staying in AMS for my future trips to the Netherlands.

In all, this is one of the top-three hotels I have ever stayed at...Am making comparisons with Le Meridien Limassol Resort & Spa, Cyprus; Diplomat Country Club (Luxury Collection) in Hollandale, FL; Both New Orleans Ws; W Los Angeles; Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise; Hilton Athens. Loved it, and will be back soon.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I just had a great stay here. I got room 217 which was quite large and extremely well appointed. I don't know what kind of a suite you would call it though. It overlooked the plein in front of the hotel.

While the health club is quite small, it was staffed with two personal trainers! And they have a tiny pool with jets to simulate swimming against a strong tide.
Old May 30, 2007, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
I just had a great stay here. I got room 217 which was quite large and extremely well appointed. I don't know what kind of a suite you would call it though. It overlooked the plein in front of the hotel.

While the health club is quite small, it was staffed with two personal trainers! And they have a tiny pool with jets to simulate swimming against a strong tide.
I was there again this past weekend, and got upped to the same room as you (217). It was larger than the room I previously received there (405), but the bathroom was smaller and tucked into a corner (no Bath, but it did have dual monsoon showerheads). As always, the bed was fantastic and very plush. The extra space in the living area in front of the bed was nice, as I was in town with several friends and needed the room. However, if it was just myself, or myself +1, I think I would opt for 405, as it has a nice balcony which overlooks the city.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The moderators may wish to change the title of this thread. The Hotel Des Indes has changed from a LM to a Luxury Collection hotel. Well deserved I might add.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Nov 25, 2008 at 11:33 am Reason: Thanks for the note, stimpy. It's now been done.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, and by the way, they have a promo on now...

A complimentary book worth €80 about the rich history of this former town palace. Plus, receive 1000 Bonus Starpoints® per night stayed
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
Oh, and by the way, they have a promo on now...

A complimentary book worth €80 about the rich history of this former town palace. Plus, receive 1000 Bonus Starpoints® per night stayed
I received an email about the promo just 24-Hours after staying there this past weekend. Argh!

Oh well. Photo report of two-types of Hotel Des Indes Junior Suites to follow in the next few weeks (once I have time to upload the pics and make the posts). Got photos of the split-level Junior Suite, as well as 117, which is (AFAIK) the largest of the X17 Junior Suites, having a small balcony, as well as a Tub/Shower combo.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As promised, albeit a bit late, I thought I would share some photos of the Hotel Des Indes. During my recent stay, I was initially given a Loft Junior Suite with an upstairs bedroom. Though very nice, I prefer the more spacious Corner Junior Suites (the one on the first floor even has a proper balcony). As usual, my stay at Des Indes was fantastic, and the staff were as pleasant and helpful as ever. The bright-yellow Des Indes is very easy to spot from a distance, and is only a short (5 min) walk from Den Haag Centraal:

Hotel Des Indes - Viewed from the Lange Voorhout

Entrance to Hotel Des Indes

Rear View of Hotel Des Indes from Denneweg Straat

Hotel Des Indes Lit up at Night

Behind the bright-yellow facade lies an even more eclectic interior. Created by French interior designer Jacques Garcia, I've termed the interior style "Fin de siècle Brothel Carnivale." It is definitely unique. However, somehow it all just seems to fit, and the hotel is definitely one of my favorite SPG properties.

Hotel Des Indes Entryway/Lobby

Staircase to First Floor

Ground Floor Lounge/Bar

Entrance to First Floor Rotunda

After check-in, one's room is easily accessed via Harvest-Gold Velvet, Leather, and Brass-Stud Clad Elevator. At time of check-in, the hotel only had a Loft Junior Suite available. I decided to check it out and take a few photos, then opted to wait until one of the more spacious Corner Junior Suites became available.

Loft Junior Suite Living Room

Loft Junior Suite Living Room

Loft Junior Suite Bathroom

Loft Junior Suite Monsoon Shower

Loft Junior Suite Staircase & Pineapple Chandelier

Loft Junior Suite Upstairs Bedroom

After storing my luggage downstairs with the Concierge, I wandered off to trek around Den Haag for a bit, until the Corner Junior Suite was ready. In my opinion, Den Haag is every bit as scenic as Amsterdam (if not moreso), with less crowds and a more laid-back pace of life. I highly recommend a trip to the Binnenhof and Hofvijer (close to the hotel), seat of the Dutch Parliament. Also, the M.C. Escher Museum is directly across the street from the hotel. In the summer, Scheveningen is only a short tram-ride from the city center, and has beautiful beaches, with many bars and restaurants to choose from. Den Haag also has several excellent Indonesian Restaurants, if you care for Indonesian Food.

After having wandered for a little over an hour, I returned to the hotel to find that the Corner Junior Suite had been cleaned and readied. With the possible exception (in summertime) of the top-floor executive rooms with huge balconies, the Corner Junior Suite is my favorite floor-plan in the entire hotel. I have had the good fortune to be upgraded to one of these rooms on nearly every stay I've had at Des Indes:

Corner Junior Suite Living Room

Corner Junior Suite Bed - Most Comfortable SPG Bed Around

View into Bathroom

Corner Junior Suite Bathroom

All in all, Hotel Des Indes is one of my absolute favorite SPG properties. Their Platinum treatment is consistently excellent, and Den Haag is a nice change of pace from the mayhem of Amsterdam. I make an effort to make at least one trip per year to Den Haag, and Hotel Des Indes is one of the primary reasons for that. I would highly recommend it to anyone considering a trip to The Netherlands.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:00 am
Community Director Emerita

Gorgeous pictures. Between yours and stimpy's praise for this hotel, it has definitely drawn my attention. It's now on my list of places I must stay.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was there recently too. I agree with ALCO's descriptions and the beauty of Den Haag. I've been going there since 1996 and always enjoy myself.

Another reason to go to Den Haag is if you need a visa. For almost any country. There are lots of embassy's and consulates nearby the hotel and this town, for whatever reason, seems to have the easiest consulates to deal with.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.