Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai 2009 on [Master Thread]

Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG Instant Awards
Print Wikipost

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai 2009 on [Master Thread]

Old Sep 7, 2009, 7:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
The St. Regis is reasonably close to Longyang Rd. and I think there is a 4 Points nearby as well, but I would advise against putting too much emphasis on the "proximity to Maglev station" factor in your decision process because:

1) even though the Maglev journey itself only takes 8 minutes, by the time you factor in your ride to the Maglev station, wait time (3 trains/hour so average wait is 10 minutes), and the walk from the airport Maglev station to the terminal, you're pushing 40 minutes, even from the hotels that are close to Longyang Rd. Stn.
2) if you allow yourself 50 minutes to get to the airport, you can stay some place really convenient, like People's Square or Jing'an District. For me, those extra 10 minutes are well worth it.
What is the cost difference between taxi + train and taxi only?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:32 am

Programs: SPG Pt.
Taxi: From Longyang stn to PVG airport 110RMB
Train: 40RMB one way with airticket, or 80RMB round trip
Traffic in shanghai sometimes is extremely terrible. Try not to take taxi. Subway is a lot faster, and all starwood properties in shanghai are quite close to a subway station, especially royal meridien shanghai, sheraton pudong, and four points pudong. Taxi fare in shanghai is not expensive, but trust me, traffic jam is really horrible.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nologic
What is the cost difference between taxi + train and taxi only?
taxi + train = ~40 + 40 = ~80
taxi = ~120

Traffic usually isn't much of a problem to/from PVG once you get on the highway.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:25 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Lifetime P, IC RA, Hyatt D
Originally Posted by superbobx2
I must agree that this is by far the best *wood property currently in Shanghai. We actually decided to try the St. Regis and the Westin as well (which I'd been to once before). The room might have actually been the smallest at the LRM (by a little bit compared to Westin- the St. Regis rooms are much larger in general), but it had the nicest view, ambiance, decor, etc. Fantastic room and amenities, excellent club lounge.

One interesting thing I found in China is the noted strictness of lounge access. The St. Regis wanted to charge extra for an extra person (a little over 12 yrs old). I said really, you charge extra for a child? The lounge attendant said, "she is not a child." I asked, so what is a child exactly? To which the reply was "like, 4, 5 years old." Very strange. I guess the point is that I asked in advance at the LRM lounge and the attendant said no problem and seemed puzzled as to why I would ask...

If you are in Shanghai, get thee to the Royal Meridien!
I have stayed at this hotel about 30 times since it opened. Most of the executive lounge staff know me fairly well.

I have to agree that it's the best *wood property in Shanghai. The St Regis is nice, but it's in Pudong, and not even in the better part of Pudong which is Lujiazhui Financial District (across the bund). The Westin is nice too, but no view and somehow I can't find an comparable price as the Royal Meridien. The two FourPoints are too far away, and the Sheraton is not that convenient either. Guess have to wait for the W to open. Until then, it has to be the Royal Meridien.

I am not sure why St Regis executive lounge charges for a 12 year old. I have brought a 8 year old to Royal Meridien many many times and once to St Regis, and were never charged for extra even when there are two adults in my room. I have taken a guest or two to the executive lounge at Royal Meridien many times and were only charged once or twice for extra person.

BTW, the lounge manager used to work in the bar, and you can ask her to make whatever cocktail you would like to try during happy hour if she is around.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by tncjoey
Different take that I posted in another thread as a non-tourist:

Also, it's just not a practical business hotel because of it's location. Yes, it is in the middle of People's Square (the "cultural center" of Shanghai) but the area is also heavily congested and impractical if you are doing a lot of traveling out to Western Shanghai, Zhejiang, or Jiangsu.
I am not sure that this is not a practical business hotel. There is no a single CBD in Shanghai. There are 3 or 5 major business clusters, depending on what you call a CBD. And Royal Meridien sits strategically in the middle of the top three business clusters.

Yes, the traffic can be congested during rush hours. But if you take the Subway (People Square is a major subway stop with connections to three subway lines:1, 2 and 8) , it's very easy to reach most part of Shanghai very easily. Subways can be very crowded. But it's faster during rush hours, especially if you are going through the tunnel to Pudong.

The top three business clusters are: Lujiazhui financial district (which is one subway stop away east on Metro Line 2: Lujiazhui Stop), Huaihai Middle Road area (which is one subway stop away west on Metro Line 1: Huangpi Nan Road Stop), and the Nanjing Road West area (which is one subway stop away west on Metro Line 2).

The other two less important business clusters are Hongqiao area and Xujiahui area(5 subway stops away on Metro Line 1: Xujiahui Stop).

Having lived and worked in Shanghai I am not interested in seeing the "sites". The better restaurants, bars, and general area are in Xu hui, Jing An, and Hongqiao. It amazes me that there are no *Woods (except the Sheraton Hongqiao - which has horrible management and a terrible hotel) in these areas. Most of the new Shanghai *Woods are again on the flippin' Bund (yeah, novel the first time but again - not a practical location. Good for tourists, bad for business). You've already got the Westin and the LRM in this area, why do you need more within walking distance. Put one in the CBD.
Yes, the better things in life are generally in Xu Hui, Jing An and Hongqiao. Maybe it's because these areas are relatively well developed and there is a lack of land. There are no real good Starwood, or Marriott, or InterContinental, or Hyatt hotels in these areas, except the Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton. Too bad, the W is going to be in Pudong.

I just passed by a construction site on Hengshan Road two weeks ago and were told it's gonna to be "a 6 star hotel." Hope this one works out.

Lucky for me, there are great *woods for me in the other areas I travel to - BKK, BOM, DBX.
True.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K, AS 75K, LT Titanium, Globalist
Having a little trouble deciding on this vs the St. Regis. I've been to the LRM and enjoyed my stay there (nice upgrade, lounge, view, etc). I've never stayed at St. Regis. This time I'm heading back on vacation with my wife. I'm using miles for a business class ticket and staying for 5 nights. My options as I see them are:

LRM- 5th night free = 48,000 SPG pts + 110,000 AA miles (for my wife's ticket)
St Regis- Nights/Flights = 70,000 SPG pts + 60,000 AA miles (for my wife's ticket)

Since the St Regis is a cat 4 I would be spending 22,000 spg pts more, but saving 50,000 air miles. Since 22,000 spg points are apprx 27,000 AA miles, the bottom line is that I'm losing 23,000 AA miles to stay at LRM vs. the St. Regis.

If the LRM is still giving away breakfasts at the lower floor restaurants (even for a points stay), then this is probably worth it, if not, then I'd rather save those points for a US flight.

Anyone out there stay at both properties care to add to the analysis of which property is the better deal based on tne points/miles difference?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I did not read the memo in our Club rooms. My buddy did and said breakfast on the lower level was a option versus the Lounge. We were upgraded to Club level. Le hotel.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
BTW. Our taxi from the Le on a Sunday morning to PVG was right at 200 rmb. The hotel's car was at least three times that.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 9:20 pm

Programs: SPG Pt.
Free cafe breakfast for club room: Royal meridien, Westin Bund Center, Sheraton Grand pacific, four points daning, four points pudong, Sheraton pudong.
St. Regis: Free breakfast in the lounge only(very small)

Consider Sheraton Grand Pacific. It's not that bad. Not very fashion designed. Hallway is bit old, but, great promotion right now. 488RMB and 588RMB per night. Super good value.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:10 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, United 1K, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
BTW. Our taxi from the Le on a Sunday morning to PVG was right at 200 rmb. The hotel's car was at least three times that.
You got taken for a ride. Should not be more than RMB160 to PVG

And on a Sunday morning no more than 45 minutes from People's square.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 3:53 am

That is what I kinda thought. The direction was correct but oh well. Seems to be the norm in Shanghai.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 5:59 am

You got taken for a ride. Should not be more than RMB160 to PVG

And on a Sunday morning no more than 45 minutes from People's square.
Right. Actually, shouldn't be more than 150RMB on a Sunday morning.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by ihdihd
Having a little trouble deciding on this vs the St. Regis. I've been to the LRM and enjoyed my stay there (nice upgrade, lounge, view, etc). I've never stayed at St. Regis. This time I'm heading back on vacation with my wife. I'm using miles for a business class ticket and staying for 5 nights. My options as I see them are:

LRM- 5th night free = 48,000 SPG pts + 110,000 AA miles (for my wife's ticket)
St Regis- Nights/Flights = 70,000 SPG pts + 60,000 AA miles (for my wife's ticket)

Since the St Regis is a cat 4 I would be spending 22,000 spg pts more, but saving 50,000 air miles. Since 22,000 spg points are apprx 27,000 AA miles, the bottom line is that I'm losing 23,000 AA miles to stay at LRM vs. the St. Regis.

If the LRM is still giving away breakfasts at the lower floor restaurants (even for a points stay), then this is probably worth it, if not, then I'd rather save those points for a US flight.

Anyone out there stay at both properties care to add to the analysis of which property is the better deal based on tne points/miles difference?
I would stay at LRM (vs. St Regist) even if there is not point difference. St Regis Shanghai is just at the wrong part of the town.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 2:17 pm

Are you guys accessing the lounge / breakfast benefit as Plats or purchasing the Club room to get the benefits?

In the Plat benefits description on the spg website it says there is lounge access for westin or sheraton lounges - LM not specified - so if I get just a regular deluxe room will i have lounge access / breakfast downstairs at the restaurant benefits at this hotel?

Thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2009, 9:05 pm

Location: San Francisco, Shanghai, Taipei, Hong Kong, Shenzhen.
Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam, UA GS
lounge access for Plat

Originally Posted by onebagtraveller
Are you guys accessing the lounge / breakfast benefit as Plats or purchasing the Club room to get the benefits?

In the Plat benefits description on the spg website it says there is lounge access for westin or sheraton lounges - LM not specified - so if I get just a regular deluxe room will i have lounge access / breakfast downstairs at the restaurant benefits at this hotel?

Thanks!
I have stayed at LRM for over 25 stays this year, with SPG Plat I have always been upgraded to an executive level suite.
No problems accessing the lounge on the 44th for breakfast and happy hour or breakfast at the lobby level buffet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.