Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WasKnown
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Dec 2016: 3 exceptional stays with Aman-like service and true luxury

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ue-luxury-1716

As of September 2021:

Breakfast is served as in-room dining
Spa is closed (seemingly permanently?)
Gym is open
Bar is open weekends until 11 PM
Print Wikipost

St Regis San Francisco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:19 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
That’s actually against the programme T&C’s, isn’t it? Rather disappointing for a hotel of its calibre.
That is, indeed. I’m sure that had something to do with the stay on Oct 6 being just after the Marriott strike began on Oct 3. Unusual circumstances such as those make a 3 pm late checkout not seem so surprising or problematic. Of course, that’s now likely moot as the strike will have been called off pending the new agreement today.

On not a single occasion in the last 6 years has this hotel ever not offered me 4 pm late checkout. I think it can be forgiven an hour during such a strike.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:54 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Another fabulous stay

Final morning here after our annual 3 night culinary weekend in the city. Truly, this hotel treats us like family. Pre-upgraded several weeks in advance to our normal Metropolitan Suite. This is my 4th stay in 2018.

Concierge team here really is amazing. Had dinner reservation booked months prior for 3* Atelier Crenn last night. Asked at about 4 pm whether they might help us get the 4 of us into 1* Bar Crenn for a round of drinks before our dinner. About 90 min later, concierge lets us know we have our own table booked at Bar Crenn for 45 min prior to our Atelier dinner. That’s a very tough get, especially at last minute. I really can’t believe they managed that. And our table was one of the best spots, to boot. And they gave us a tour of the kitchen between stops. Very VIP. Very unexpected. Very impressive.

Hotel Lexus car service took us outside the 2 mi comp drive zone on Fri night to our dinner at 2* Californios. (House Bentley was unavailable lol.)

Breakfast restaurant let me order second entree without charge for my Plat breakfast both mornings so far. Above and beyond.

Bar service phenomenal. Had a drink I wasn’t too pleased with, replaced immediately...and then second drink brought on the house by way of apology. Allowed our dog to hang in bar with us with no qualms at all. (He’s a big hit here.)

Air con works super well, though did have to call to get bedroom air con set so hot water valve was turned off for max cold air for me.

My favorite city hotel in the USA.
miles4CDG likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Hotel Lexus car service took us outside the 2 mi comp drive zone on Fri night to our dinner at 2* Californios. (House Bentley was unavailable lol.)

I didnt realise this 2 miles comp drive until recently

Should ask about that when I need to go to Fairmont SF! The walk is quite steep
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kaizen7
I didnt realise this 2 miles comp drive until recently

Should ask about that when I need to go to Fairmont SF! The walk is quite steep
Haha, we ended up walking around town with our dog and managed to walk again to the Ritz-Carlton from the St Regis. That’s a bit of a steep climb. But if we can manage it, I’m sure you can, too.
kaizen7 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:09 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Final morning here after our annual 3 night culinary weekend in the city. Truly, this hotel treats us like family. Pre-upgraded several weeks in advance to our normal Metropolitan Suite. This is my 4th stay in 2018.

Concierge team here really is amazing. Had dinner reservation booked months prior for 3* Atelier Crenn last night. Asked at about 4 pm whether they might help us get the 4 of us into 1* Bar Crenn for a round of drinks before our dinner. About 90 min later, concierge lets us know we have our own table booked at Bar Crenn for 45 min prior to our Atelier dinner. That’s a very tough get, especially at last minute. I really can’t believe they managed that. And our table was one of the best spots, to boot. And they gave us a tour of the kitchen between stops. Very VIP. Very unexpected. Very impressive.

Breakfast restaurant let me order second entree without charge for my Plat breakfast both mornings so far. Above and beyond.

Bar service phenomenal. Had a drink I wasn’t too pleased with, replaced immediately...and then second drink brought on the house by way of apology. Allowed our dog to hang in bar with us with no qualms at all. (He’s a big hit here.)

Air con works super well, though did have to call to get bedroom air con set so hot water valve was turned off for max cold air for me.

My favorite city hotel in the USA.

You will have to curate our restaurants on our next visit there
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Another wonderful stay at my favorite city hotel in the USA

The St. Regis San Francisco

Map| 9 Reviews | 44% Recommended

125 3rd St San Francisco, CA US 94103

Another wonderful stay at my favorite city hotel in the USA (22 Photos)

We returned Sunday from yet another amazing 3 night weekend stay for our annual December culinary weekend at the St Regis San Francisco. As usual, our stay was sublime. (This was the 4th stay for me/us this year.)

We were booked on a AAA rate of $355, a very good deal, indeed, for this hotel. As always for me as both an Ambassador guest and a frequent guest at this hotel, I was upgraded to my "regular" Metropolitan Suite on the 19th floor.  

We had booked the hotel as usual but had explored other options due to the recent Marriott strike in San Francisco, which impacted this hotel along with the Palace and W hotels. Because we were bringing our 110 lb Rhodesian Ridgeback, we had reached out to the Ritz-Carlton San Francisco, unaffected by the strike, but they were unwilling to accept our dog--even as the St Regis has been waiving their 35 lbs pet weight limit for us for many years now. The RC has a limit of 30 lbs. 

Sadly, while the RC was unwilling to accept our dog despite the long history of our stays with him at the StR, the Four Seasons was more than willing to accept us with our dog--this despite their even stricter 15 lb weight limit. The Ritz-Carlton looked stern and rigid, and particularly unaccommodating, in stark contrast. I actually have spoken with the GM of the RC SF about this, and they are planning to review their pet policy for such circumstances. 

Fortunately, the strike ended in early December, allowing us to continue staying at our favorite St Regis. 

20181222_081314.jpg

The hotel was decorated again for the holidays. 

20181221_104326.jpg

20181221_104403.jpg

20181221_104436.jpg

20181221_101413.jpg

And the hotel was particularly hospitable to our dog, Macallan. He definitely feels at home here!

20181222_162827.jpg

20181221_163857.jpg

20181221_234705.jpg

Even in the bar:

20181220_192307.jpg

He is named Macallan, after all. 

Check In

I had been pre-upgraded to the Metropolitan Suite on the same day the Marriott strike had been tentatively ended in San Francisco (early December). 

I also asked for early check in and was notified that the suite was ready for us at 2 pm. Unfortunately, flight delays caused us not to arrive until 4 pm anyway.

The FDA recognized me, as usual, and processed my check in with barely any time at all. I also was greeted by the GM, a lovely woman who definitely brings added charm and grace to the role. 

Room

Our home away from home Metropolitan Suite is well documented:

20181220_173603.jpg

20181220_173618.jpg

20181220_174256.jpg

20181220_174334.jpg

20181220_174356.jpg

20181220_174550.jpg

20181220_174613.jpg

20181220_174437.jpg

The Wifi worked great, as always--speeds from 70-80 Mbps up and down. Shower pressure was good, and the little bidet function for the toilet was always appreciated. (I've recommended they consider adding Toto toilets or toilet add-ons for the suites, at very least, when they do their upcoming renovation--supposedly to start in May 2019.)

Air con also worked like a charm--once they turned off the motion sensor and the hot water feed for the bedroom. (They normally do that in advance of my arrival, but someone forgot this time!) The bedroom was preset to 65 F and living room preset to 67 on our arrival, but the bedroom got down to 62 F to my utter delight (and my husband's horror again). 

Service

Service was great, albeit again with a few minor misses.

The biggest miss for me was that the air con hadn't been "VIPd" for me prior to my arrival--with the motion sensors turned off in the bedroom and living room and the hot water intake turned completely off for the bedroom. Still, one call and the engineer apologized and had it done in short order. The air con worked great otherwise.

The biggest surprise for me was that there was no welcome amenity on arrival or shortly thereafter. Minor in the scheme of things, but not something I'm accustomed to ever experiencing at this hotel. I asked about it the second day, and a welcome tray of meats, cheeses, breads, and fruit was brought up for us after our Alcatraz afternoon. 

20181221_164003.jpg

Otherwise, service was amazing as always.

The concierge team really outdid themselves for this stay. They helped us get our booking at (now 3*) Atelier Crenn well before earning its 3rd star. They also helped us with tickets for Alcatraz. Most impressively, they got us into 1* Bar Crenn only a few hours before our Atelier dinner after we wondered if we could stop in for a round of drinks before dinner. That was a tough get at the last minute, yet the head concierge had it arranged for us in about an hour! And we had one of the best tables for the 4 of us at Bar Crenn, to boot. 

The butler team was wonderful, as always--though for the first time in eons, I didn't partake of unpacking and packing, since the dog was a bit of an issue and since I only had a carry-on. Butler morning coffee service was a little slower than usual, but otherwise was great. 

Housekeeping was truly excellent, always working around our coming and going with the dog. They even tried to do turndown around the dog, but we told them not to worry.

Bar service was outstanding. When I didn't like my first Manhattan, they brought another and never charged for either. (They almost always make a great Manhattan here.) They were always checking on us for all of our nights/afternoons. 

Restaurant service was also impressive. The first morning, I ended up ordering two entrees, one beyond the normal Platinum benefit--but they didn't charge me. Every morning, staff whom we'd met over the years would stop by to say hello and check in with us. It really was like coming back to our family.

We even enjoyed the complimentary car service (in the Lexus this time, not the Bentley) to dinner at Californios--even though it was just outside the official 2 mile radius. 

Everyone treated us like family yet again. Wonderful service!

Dining

We only had breakfasts at the hotel, as we had dinners booked at 1* Mourad (around the corner), 2* Californios (a 10 min drive), and 3* Atelier Crenn (15-20 min drive), as well as lunch at 1* In Situ. 

Breakfasts were wonderful.

20181221_103458.jpg

20181223_100738.jpg

20181222_094858.jpg

20181223_100735.jpg

We love the SoMa location. It was a mere 10-15 min walk into Union Square and up to the Ritz-Carlton. It was a mere 30 min walk back from Pier 33 after our Alcatraz excursion. It was a 10 min drive to Californios. It was a 15-20 min drive to Atelier Crenn. It was a 1 min walk around the corner to 1* Mourad. It was a mere 20 min drive each way to the SFO airport, as well.

Overall

There's a reason we always return to this hotel. This is my favorite city hotel in the USA in my favorite city in the USA. Hands down. 

Another wonderful stay at my favorite city hotel in the USA

Would you like to write a review on the The St. Regis San Francisco?

No, thank you.
Yes
miles4CDG and kaizen7 like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
I am debating whether to stay at St Regis, Ritz, Palace, JW or Marriott Marquis. I will be with my wife and 2 kids aged 11. I have 2 Ritz certs good up to 60K. I am Plat Marriott member and wondering which one would offer free breakfast or club access. With 4 people, saving money on breakfast and having snacks would be great. I think Marriott Marquis has the club, St Regis has free breakfast and Ritz will get nothing! St Regis also has a pool which kids will probably use. Any suggestions which to choose?

Last edited by cdoobiest; Jan 9, 2019 at 6:21 am
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Stayed here for 2 nights as a Plat Elite.

”Upgrade” was to the same room booked on a higher floor. Meh.

Good service, good in room dining.

The LA Lakers were staying here at the same time.

Reminds me of a nice Westin outside the US (except they care about status out there
Kacee likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
While I am originally from SF and still spend ~20% of my time there, I am booking my first ever stay at the SF St Regis. I've noticed that the descriptions of the Superior, Deluxe, and Grand Deluxe rooms on the Marriott website are identical. Can anyone summarize the differences for me?

Also, I am an Ambassador Elite and we will be staying Friday - Sunday. Given this, are our upgrade chances high enough that we may as well just book the least expensive room?

Thanks!
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
Stayed here for 2 nights as a Plat Elite.

”Upgrade” was to the same room booked on a higher floor. Meh.

Good service, good in room dining.

The LA Lakers were staying here at the same time.

I’m pretty sure the fact that the Lakers team and organization were in residence had something to do with the hotel occupancy not allowing a better upgrade. That’s a lot of people to accommodate. Let’s not forget that upgrades are based on availability.
Reminds me of a nice Westin outside the US (except they care about status out there
This hotel cares a lot about status. But it doesn’t help when the hotel is sold out or at higher occupancy. And in this case, full of VIPs, all of whom probably are in paid suites and the other top floor rooms. I think a re-evaluation of what your status means might be in order?

I’d be most curious to learn of any Westin even remotely as nice as this, let alone with such spectacular service and food/beverage.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by acrophobia
While I am originally from SF and still spend ~20% of my time there, I am booking my first ever stay at the SF St Regis. I've noticed that the descriptions of the Superior, Deluxe, and Grand Deluxe rooms on the Marriott website are identical. Can anyone summarize the differences for me?

Also, I am an Ambassador Elite and we will be staying Friday - Sunday. Given this, are our upgrade chances high enough that we may as well just book the least expensive room?

Thanks!
The regular room categories tend to be about the floors; higher room categories tend to be on higher floors. The Grand Deluxe rooms have slightly better views if I recall correctly.

Ambassador guests usually are very well accommodated and upgraded here—based on availability. If it’s a low occupancy weekend, your chances for a suite upgrade are quite good; if it’s a higher occupancy weekend, not so much. Overall the hotel often has pretty high occupancy and generally is considered by most to be the best large hotel in the city.

I love this hotel. I’ve never not been upgraded to a suite here as an Ambassador guest, but I’m also a very frequent guest. I was last here in December and will be back in a few weeks.

PLEASE NOTE: the hotel is expected to begin renovations of public spaces and some rooms/suites starting sometime in the summer.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:11 pm

The regular room categories tend to be about the floors; higher room categories tend to be on higher floors. The Grand Deluxe rooms have slightly better views if I recall correctly.

Ambassador guests usually are very well accommodated and upgraded here—based on availability. If it’s a low occupancy weekend, your chances for a suite upgrade are quite good; if it’s a higher occupancy weekend, not so much. Overall the hotel often has pretty high occupancy and generally is considered by most to be the best large hotel in the city.

I love this hotel. I’ve never not been upgraded to a suite here as an Ambassador guest, but I’m also a very frequent guest. I was last here in December and will be back in a few weeks.

PLEASE NOTE: the hotel is expected to begin renovations of public spaces and some rooms/suites starting sometime in the summer.
The renovations are concerning to me - have not heard about this before. Do you know about when they are expected to start? If it will be during our time there I’m probably inclined to go elsewhere.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by acrophobia
The renovations are concerning to me - have not heard about this before. Do you know about when they are expected to start? If it will be during our time there I’m probably inclined to go elsewhere.
Summer is all I know. But it has been pushed back numerous times, so I certainly can’t be sure. Perhaps book it, and book another option just to be safe. Then check closer in!
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:11 pm

Summer is all I know. But it has been pushed back numerous times, so I certainly can’t be sure. Perhaps book it, and book another option just to be safe. Then check closer in!
Good idea! Thanks.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:59 pm

First stay at St. Regis SF

I’m a Bay Area local but still fairly new and have yet to spend much time in SF for anything other than work meetings.

I booked a spur of the moment same-day, one night reservation at the StR this past weekend. It was a very enjoyable stay.

I paid cash and booked via Whatahotel (Signature Travel benefits.) I think this is the first property where I did not run into any problems getting the benefits that come with this type of travel booking. Since it was a last-minute reservation the agent warned me not to expect a room upgrade or early check-in due to low availability. But I got both (1-category upgrade to deluxe king room from basic king room, which I understand is a higher floor and therefore a slightly better view.)

Service was fast and excellent all around. The room was a bit smallish (given that so much space is taken up with a hallway) but well-appointed. The restaurant was fine though with so many great dining options in SF I’m not sure I would eat dinner there without the $100 F&B credit. I did room service for breakfast, which was very nice. The server was great and I was still full from dinner the night before so the continental breakfast (included) was sufficient for me.

I didn’t really partake in too many of the hotel amenities as my main goal was to go on a 6-mi tourist walk of Fisherman’s Wharf/Pier 39/Lombard St/Coit Tower/Chinatown/Union Square (am probably forgetting a few.) The location of the StR was ideal for that. Also, I’ve never really appreciated a 4pm checkout before since I could always leave my luggage at a baggage check if needed. But the ability to take a shower after my long sweaty hilly walk before popping onto the BART back home was really appreciated. All in all a great stay and I look forward to returning the next time I need a break from the Bay Area ‘burbs.
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.