Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WasKnown
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Dec 2016: 3 exceptional stays with Aman-like service and true luxury

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ue-luxury-1716

As of September 2021:

Breakfast is served as in-room dining
Spa is closed (seemingly permanently?)
Gym is open
Bar is open weekends until 11 PM
Print Wikipost

St Regis San Francisco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:45 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Great photos. Have you received upgraded your camera solution?
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: Free Agent
Thanks for the pictures of the Metropolitan Suite! The St Regis is my go-to hotel in SF, but normal Plats don't get your level of treatment.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 2:52 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Great photos. Have you received upgraded your camera solution?
Thanks! It’s just my new Samsung Galaxy Note 8. It’s awesome.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:19 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
@bhrubin I'm back from SFO...St. Regis was great, for the most part! We were upgraded from Astor Suite to Metrop. Suite and really loved the suite, thank you so much for the advice!

The butler service was very inconsistent...On arrival, our butler showed us our room and asked if we wanted coffee/tea to be delivered as part of the service. I replied "coffee, please!" Tipped her $20 and my coffee never showed up! Overall, really enjoyed it and ran into the GM twice, was a really nice guy and seemed very happy to chat with guests and seeing if all is well. Had breakfast with Director of Sales who was an extremely nice lady and seemed to really care about quality as well, good sign!

Next time, hope to catch you there!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:58 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
@bhrubin I'm back from SFO...St. Regis was great, for the most part! We were upgraded from Astor Suite to Metrop. Suite and really loved the suite, thank you so much for the advice!

The butler service was very inconsistent...On arrival, our butler showed us our room and asked if we wanted coffee/tea to be delivered as part of the service. I replied "coffee, please!" Tipped her $20 and my coffee never showed up! Overall, really enjoyed it and ran into the GM twice, was a really nice guy and seemed very happy to chat with guests and seeing if all is well. Had breakfast with Director of Sales who was an extremely nice lady and seemed to really care about quality as well, good sign!

Next time, hope to catch you there!
Glad you had a great stay! Sorry your butler forgot your coffee order. We always call for ours (usually in morning after waking up). Did you call to ask again?

Mr. Brose is a wonderful and very friendly guy, indeed. As is most of the staff, even down to the housekeepers, actually!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:27 pm
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Glad you had a great stay! Sorry your butler forgot your coffee order. We always call for ours (usually in morning after waking up). Did you call to ask again?

Mr. Brose is a wonderful and very friendly guy, indeed. As is most of the staff, even down to the housekeepers, actually!
It wasn't a huge deal but it just started off with a bad taste...after tipping (for walking us to the room), I'd thought she would at least be happy enough to bring the coffee that she suggested

However, we called daily (am + pm) like you've stated and it was all great! I would definitely suggest St. Regis to all my clients.

We also tried out FS and RC just to compare and thought St. Regis was MUCH better.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
It wasn't a huge deal but it just started off with a bad taste...after tipping (for walking us to the room), I'd thought she would at least be happy enough to bring the coffee that she suggested However, we called daily (am + pm) like you've stated and it was all great! I would definitely suggest St. Regis to all my clients.
I never tip at the start of any stay. I always tip at the end. Which avoids your scenario.

We also tried out FS and RC just to compare and thought St. Regis was MUCH better.
Wow, you stayed at all three? I'd LOVE to hear your comparative thoughts. You should do a comparison/contrast Expert Review (like I did with Imperial vs Bristol and Imperial vs PH vs Sacher in Vienna).

I obviously find the StR to be the best. The RC neighborhood isn't as exciting or convenient to me, and its more traditional decor even after renovation is odd--in a very progressive city where that seems less appropriate. Anyone not staying in a RC Club room also gets subpar service for a luxury hotel IMO, and that's a big turn off for me with most RC hotels. The FS also seems more staid and less exciting, with pretty boring decor and no sense of edge or chicness--and disappointing F/B. It's fine but nothing special. I also think the StR has the best and most genuine service and most amazing F/B...by far.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:59 am
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I never tip at the start of any stay. I always tip at the end. Which avoids your scenario.

Wow, you stayed at all three? I'd LOVE to hear your comparative thoughts. You should do a comparison/contrast Expert Review (like I did with Imperial vs Bristol and Imperial vs PH vs Sacher in Vienna).

I obviously find the StR to be the best. The RC neighborhood isn't as exciting or convenient to me, and its more traditional decor even after renovation is odd--in a very progressive city where that seems less appropriate. Anyone not staying in a RC Club room also gets subpar service for a luxury hotel IMO, and that's a big turn off for me with most RC hotels. The FS also seems more staid and less exciting, with pretty boring decor and no sense of edge or chicness--and disappointing F/B. It's fine but nothing special. I also think the StR has the best and most genuine service and most amazing F/B...by far.
Haha, you're probably right! I was going to tip on both ends but ended up just giving rest of the tips to Housekeeping only and not her. She never checked up on us...our butler at St. Regis Maldives was the opposite...we saw him daily and he really looked after us and was as proactive as he could possibly be. But again, I think North American Hospitality is just sub-par.

Yeah, will try to do a write up of the 3 at some point
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:29 pm

I stayed here for the first time recently, and had a very nice stay. It seems like a lot of the prior complaints were about Platinum upgrades and treatment, so as a Gold those weren't a factor (and in general I tend to operate on the principle of booking what I want and not counting on upgrades). I think I did get a view/floor upgrade, but I'm not clear on the distinctions between the categories, so I'm not 100% sure. I booked with cash, no points involved.

The room was clean, quiet, and comfortable. No noticeable issues, everything was in good shape. Early check-in and late check-out were both accommodated without hassle. I didn’t have any unusual needs, but I got very good service from everyone I interacted with. I especially enjoyed the bartenders at the lobby bar. I’m not a breakfast person, so no comment on that (mentioned only because it seems like people are obsessed with hotel breakfasts). The only hiccup is that a day after checkout, I got an updated folio via email, with a charge for minibar items that I didn’t consume. However, I called them and they refunded it without too much hassle.

Overall, I was very happy with this property and will stay there again.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:02 pm
Suspended

I’m back again for 3 nights for the second time in 2018. Again upgraded to my favorite Metropolitan Suite as a repeat Ambassador guest—despite mentioning that the upgrade wasn’t so important this time since I’d be alone. (I still have never had a regular room here!)

My Your24 request in July had been declined for 12 pm check-in. Yet I arrived a little after 12 pm, had a light lunch in the lobby bar, and then got an automated notification from my iPad and Android apps letting me know my suite was ready at 12:53 pm. Pretty impressive.

The hotel manager introduced me to the new GM, and also brought me my room key. I finished my lunch and was in my suite by 1:15 pm. Not bad when regular check-in is 4 pm. I also had a chance to meet the new bar manager.

Butler service came and unpacked me and brought me a lovely iced coffee. Had a great chat with the butler, too.

Pre-arrival, the concierge team already had booked me for 3* Benu tonight and for 1* Mourad tomorrow night. And amazingly had gotten me VIP’d for a table at Charmaine’s, one of the hottest bars in the city, for tomorrow night. That’s a very tough get.

So far, so good. Another great start at my favorite hotel in the USA.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:54 am
Suspended

Another tremendous stay at the StR San Francisco

The St. Regis San Francisco

Map| 9 Reviews | 89% Recommended

125 3rd St San Francisco, CA US 94103

Another tremendous stay at the StR San Francisco (17 Photos)

I was back again at the StR San Francisco for the second time this year for Labor Day weekend on a 3 night award stay. (I also had been back in July for 3 nights on a paid stay with my husband.)

This time I was alone, coming up to see the UNC-Cal football game with some friends. Because I was alone, I'd told the hotel there was no need to upgrade me to my "regular" Metropolitan Suite and that a regular room or Astor Suite with great air con and blackout shades would be more than sufficient. Of course, the hotel upgraded me to my Metropolitan Suite anyway--several weeks in advance as it were.

As always, my stay was absolutely wonderful. The hotel always makes me feel like I'm at my second home, and the staff always makes me feel like I'm part of the family. 

Check In

I arrived at about 12:10 pm and was told it may be a few hours before my suite was ready--but they would try to make that a priority. (I'd previously submitted and been declied for a Your24 request for 12:00 pm check in, so this was expected.) So I went to have a relaxing lunch in the lobby bar.

While eating my lunch, I received a notification from the Marriott apps on both my iPad and phone indicating that my room was ready at 12:53 pm. I'd say that was impressive.

While ordering and eating lunch, I saw and briefly caught up with the hotel manager and GM, and one of the new front office supervisors came over to introduce himself. Like I said, this place feels like family. 

By 1:15 pm or so, I was in my suite. Not too shabby.

Room

My previous reviews have all the photos of "my" Metropolitan Suite, including the blackout shades that had been installed specifically for me in 2016. 

But here are a few fresh shots. I lowered the blinds so the afternoon sun wouldn't warm the living room too much!

20180831_133320.jpg

20180831_133253.jpg

As always, the suite is so incredibly comfortable. My friends who visited with me all agreed that it felt like a very nice and spacious one bedroom apartment. 

There was the usual welcome amenity:

20180831_132632.jpg

And even a nice note and chocolates from the GM:

20180831_132601.jpg

As always, the air con worked wonders. They had set the air con to 65 F in anticipation of my love of a cold room:

20180831_152607.jpg

I asked the engineers to VIP the thermostats for both the living room and bedroom to get the room as cold as possible. I'd say they did the trick when it got down to 63 F. 

20180903_122512.jpg

Service

Service was wonderful, though there were a few hiccups.

My turndown service repeatedly forgot to close the blackout curtains. As this suite is the only one to have those blackout curtains, I wasn't surprised the first night...but after reminding my butler, I would have expected that to be remedied the second and third nights. It wasn't. A slight miss.

Otherwise, service was fabulous. Housekeeping was great aside from the blackout curtains.

Service at the lobby bar for my arrival lunch was great. I wasn't thrilled with the chicken on my house salad, so the server quickly brought me fresh chicken (and offered to replace the whole salad). 

The butler service was as fabulous as usual. One of my favorite butlers, Abhishek, unpacked me on arrival, and brought me iced coffe on arrival and regular French press coffee each morning. Another lovely butler packed me up on my final day. 

20180831_140404.jpg

I always order my coffee with hot milk. They got it right every time.

20180903_094753.jpg

In room dining service was particularly great. I met a lovely server, Amile, who was not only very timely and conscientious, but also was just a delight to speak with. She brought almost all of my room service orders (and I ordered room service quite a few times!).

Everyone was so friendly and helpful.

The concierge team, always impressive, again was so helpful for this stay. The team arranged dinners for me and my friends at both 3* Benu and 1* Mourad, as well as a VIP table at Charmaine's bar at the Proper Hotel--one of the biggest and hotspots in town. 

Service here is always extraordinary. It was again.

Dining

While I had most dinners and lunches outside the hotel, I always avail myself of room service whenever I can.

My arrival lunch at the lobby bar was lovely--they replaced the chicken for me very quickly when I asked.

20180831_122727.jpg

20180831_124211.jpg

20180831_130441.jpg

I had in room dining for all of my 3 breakfasts:

20180901_102837.jpg

20180902_104640.jpg

20180903_104824.jpg

The waffle here is sublime.

One night I felt like a light dinner, so I ordered the quesadilla and delicious chocolate cake:

20180902_141744.jpg

20180902_145210.jpg

And on my last night, I felt like something after midnight and ordered up a cheeseburger. Totally hit the spot!

20180902_233910.jpg

We also met up in the lobby bar before our dinner at nearby Mourad and had drinks. The Manhattan here at the StR lobby bar is vastly superior to the one I had at Charmaine's at the Proper.

The food and beverage here are just fantastic. I've never been disappointed with the food and drink here, to be honest.

As I've said many times before, I absolutely love the hotel's SoMa location.

It was a 5 min walk around 2 blocks to 3* Benu. it was a 2 min walk around the block to 1* Mourad.

It's basically across the street from SFMOMA and 1* In Situ, where I also often dine. The Moscone Center is just a block away, and the Yerba Buena gardens are across the street.

It was only a 15 min walk back from Charmaine's at the San Francisco Proper hotel. It's a mere 10 min walk to Union Square. It's just a 15-20 min walk to the Ferry Building and wharf. 

It's also just a 15-20 min usual drive to and from SFO--though you gotta be careful about Giants games!

Overall

There's a reason this is my favorite hotel in the USA. I love the hotel's clean, modern style (even as it is slated to undergo a renovation in 2019). I love the hotel location. I love the service and food and beverage. I love the hotels's elite recognition. I love the hotel's amenities and friendliness. I love the hotel's staff. It doesn't get much better than this.

Another tremendous stay at the StR San Francisco

Would you like to write a review on the The St. Regis San Francisco?

No, thank you.
Yes
Eagle_traveler likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 9:00 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Note that hotel workers for a number of Marriott properties in the area are on strike right now (incl the StR). No room service or housekeeping available, lots of noise, no late check-out and the staff who are still working are obviously struggling to keep things going.

A little disappointing given that I'd been looking forward to staying here so much after reading the glowing reviews posted here!
Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Quick update: got a 3pm checkout as the best they could do (currently Platinum Premier on the new merged programme).
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Looks like the Marriott strike is soon to end in San Francisco.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...photo-16427646
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:52 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by horizontal
Quick update: got a 3pm checkout as the best they could do (currently Platinum Premier on the new merged programme).
That’s actually against the programme T&C’s, isn’t it? Rather disappointing for a hotel of its calibre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.