Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WasKnown
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Dec 2016: 3 exceptional stays with Aman-like service and true luxury

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ue-luxury-1716

As of September 2021:

Breakfast is served as in-room dining
Spa is closed (seemingly permanently?)
Gym is open
Bar is open weekends until 11 PM
Print Wikipost

St Regis San Francisco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
The GM responded in a prompt and thoughtful manner; it looks like the plat continental breakfast includes yogurt and cereal upon request, and this will be reviewed with the staff:

Dear taipeiflyer,

I apologize for the issues you experienced at the hotel over the September dates you list below. We all agree the construction of the Museum is very hard on our guest experience in the last 2 months. While the noise is not “constant” it does seem so at times. This is also happening during our busiest season as you mentioned below in your email. It is hard to believe, but the noise was worse during the demolition of the old section. The very highest floors have been the superior location, but our flexibility is limited when we are full. We do thank you for your understanding.

I am researching the credits for your card. My assistant will work with our accounting team in the morning. The credit should have been processed by today, appearing on your acct in the next 5 business days.

As a last thought about the SPG Platinum offering for breakfast, this is a continental breakfast at our hotel, which should include cereal and yogurt if requested.. We value our SPG members of all levels and should be delivering all of the amenities and choices pertaining to the Program. For our Platinum members, the Continental in Vitrine should include the items you mention and
I will review this with the team immediately.

Thank you for taking the time to write and please do reconsider staying with us once again on your next visit..Again, my sincere apologies.

Best regards and thank you for your support of the St Regis.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 2:05 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Disappointed

As others have said, this is not a shining example of the St. Regis brand. Rather indifferent staff. Asked the concierge for some shopping assistance and was given two places he "thought" might have what I wanted but clearly wasn't interested in doing any research for me. (Neither did.) No diet coke in the minibar so asked it to be stocked but never was during my three days. Room controls and clock on the bedside did not work. The HVAC was pretty weak. 70 when I checked in; turned it down to 60; in three days it only made it to 66. Although I was in a suite, the Butler Service is nothing more than hotel operators here. I asked for diet coke and was transferred to room service. I asked for breakfast reservations and was transferred to the restaurant. Allow Me seems to be Allow Me to have you take another step to get what you want.

Last edited by EnvoyBoy; Oct 20, 2013 at 4:45 pm Reason: Noting that I was in a suite. That raises butler expectations.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
As others have said, this is not a shining example of the St. Regis brand. Rather indifferent staff. Asked the concierge for some shopping assistance and was given two places he "thought" might have what I wanted but clearly wasn't interested in doing any research for me. (Neither did.) No diet coke in the minibar so asked it to be stocked but never was during my three days. Room controls and clock on the bedside did not work. The HVAC was pretty weak. 70 when I checked in; turned it down to 60; in three days it only made it to 66. The Butler Service is nothing more than hotel operators here. I asked for diet coke and was transferred to room service. I asked for breakfast reservations and was transferred to the restaurant. Allow Me seems to be Allow Me to have you take another step to get what you want.
From what I understand, Butler Services is the hotel operators at St. Regis hotels. They take all the calls, internal and external. If you are in a suite, your requests will be forwarded on to your Butler for execution. If you are not in a suite, you will be transferred to the appropriate department. And, there is "nothing more than" about the operators!!! You try to take phone calls all day, answer questions, apologize for service missteps, etc.... In a large, full hotel, I could only imagine what it is like...
Old Oct 20, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by slidergirl
From what I understand, Butler Services is the hotel operators at St. Regis hotels. They take all the calls, internal and external. If you are in a suite, your requests will be forwarded on to your Butler for execution. If you are not in a suite, you will be transferred to the appropriate department. And, there is "nothing more than" about the operators!!! You try to take phone calls all day, answer questions, apologize for service missteps, etc.... In a large, full hotel, I could only imagine what it is like...
Ah, thank you for your post! I was in a suite but didn't note that fact. I'll go back and edit my review. I stay in lots of St. Regis and San Francisco just didn't have it together with butler service like the others.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:47 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by slidergirl
Apologies are all they do. The St. Regis should be a flawless experience, but there are always more guffaws per visit than at the W or the Palace nearby. Their level of inconsistency is truly absurd; especially, when considering the price.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 10:12 pm

Programs: FSPP, Virtuoso, Belmond Bellini Club, STARS, Hyatt Privé, Peninsula PenClub, etc.
Recently stayed on an award stay. Upgraded to Grand Deluxe Room with view of Yerba Buena Gardens that was thankfully very quiet, no construction noise or noise from other rooms. Hate the bathroom design, given that it's not a wholly separate room, so there's no way to turn the light on at night, run water in the sink without disturbing your family or travel companion.

Very warm and welcoming check-in contrasted with abrupt concierge. Awkward that housekeeping was still in the room after returning from dinner. Best aspect is the heated indoor pool, a rarity among SF luxury hotels. Definitely prefer the views and service level at the Mandarin Oriental.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Just finished up a weekend stay and wanted to provide an updated review.

I used suite night awards and was confirmed into an Astor Suite that was further upgraded to a Metropolitan Suite at check-in. The Metropolitan suite was huge, but there was some wasted space in the room so it didn't feel like 1,000 sq. ft. There is a huge vanity area between the bedroom and bathroom that we didn't really use, but even with that the room is still plenty big just not as big as you'd think.

The room was a little more modern than your typical St. Regis (more Park Hyatt like), but it was very nice and we were super pleased with the upgrade. The only real negatives in the room were that some of the furnishings were showing a little age, there weren't very many plugs, and the TV setups were not what you would expect from a St. Regis. The living room TV was small and not very nice, the bedroom TV was just a TV sitting on the ledge with the wires coming straight out of the wall, and the TV service itself was terribly slow (changing channels would take about 10-15 seconds each channel).

The platinum breakfast was served in Vitrine and it was great. They gave you the choice of the continental breakfast, eggs benedict or 2 eggs any style plus a meat. All of these options also included juice and coffee. I'm not sure if those are always the choices, or if they rotate, but either way it was nice to be given some options. It's always great to see a US property doing more than the bare minimum and the wait staff was excellent each morning.

Overall, I thought the hotel was great and I would definitely come back next time I'm in San Francisco. The location worked well for us and the valet was always very efficient. We had drinks in the bar one evening and breakfast each morning and each member of the staff we encountered was super friendly and genuinely seemed to care about making our stay better. I read some noise complaints up thread but I didn't experience any issues during my stay.

It's a real shame this property moved up to Category 7 because it doesn't really make sense to use points here anymore. I would guess that this is probably one of the worst Cat. 7 values with the exception of some of the all suite properties.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 2:26 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Usually love the St Regis San Francisco...but service flubs galore this weekend

I normally think of the StR San Francisco as my favorite hotel in the city, and among my favorites if not my absolute favorite city hotel in the USA. But this weekend's stay has been a mess.

We booked an Astor Suite for a paid stay. Then the service flubs began...in dizzying fashion.

(1) Was informed by my Ambassador of a confirmed upgrade to a Metropolitan Suite the night before arrival. Arrived at hotel to be told we had an Astor Suite...and told there were no Metropolitan Suites available. Showed front desk attendant the email from my Ambassador, and even forwarded that email to him at his request...and then went onto SPG app and showed I could still book the Metropolitan Suite, as well. He "somehow" then managed to get us a Metropolitan Suite. Check in took almost 25 min! The Director of a Rooms called us 20 min after we got to our suite to apologize and try to explain. I accepted and simply thanked them for the upgrade...and assumed all would be great again. Wrong.

(2) One of bedroom blackout shades was not blackout and woke me up at 6:15 am. I'm sensitive to light. The hotel said its blackout. It wasn't. Not acceptable for a 5 star hotel.

(3)Housekeeping came 1.5 hrs after we went to breakfast, so that we returned from breakfast while they were starting to clean our suite. Unacceptable. They ask for your room number at breakfast so they can clean your room while you're out...especially at a 5 star luxury hotel.

(4)Wifi was 2 Mbps on our supposedly "premium" wifi (complimentary for Platinum guests) in our suite. I called our butler to complain, and she indicated she would call back. She never called back. Unacceptable.

I called back after a nap (my husband telling me she never called back) and redo plainer about wifi. Was connected to tech support. Spent 35 min on phone to determine they had a system issue. They made me move around suite, checking wifi speeds, as if that should be any part of my issue or of a luxury hotel experience. They said it would be resolved in 30 min. When we returned several hours later, wifi was at 5-7 Mbps. So improvement.

(5) Wifi in Vetrine restaurant was 0.1 Mbps. Emailed speed test to hotel to document. Asked server if they could reset or look at wifi. In 10-15 min, wifi was improved to 4 Mbps. Pretty sad that wifi was an issue for me twice already. I was trying to follow a basketball game in progress.

(6) Housekeeping came late again on second morning--despite us calling butler in advance to get suite cleaned immediately and explaining the issue from the previous day. Called butler at 9:45 am, went to breakfast, returned at 11:00 am...to discover suite hadn't been touched. Then at 11:05 am, housekeeping knocks. Unacceptable.

(7) Called Sat morning after all this to complain to management about the series of now ever-constant flubs. Was told I was speaking to a front office manager, who told me he'd handle the situation and make sure we had a smooth sailing. I told him we'd call housekeeping (which still hadn't cleaned our room) when we finally left the room. About 1 hour later, housekeeping knocked on our door...despite us not having called. Now we're beyond unacceptable.

(8) Whenever we tried to call the butlers or front desk or anyone, we had to wait for 5 min and hang up and try again...since almost always there was no answer. This was true even when calling for morning coffee, even. I've never had to wait so long so consistently or try so many times to reach a butler or front desk or operator at a luxury hotel. Ever.

(9) Called back (several times) to speak with same front office manager...who, on calling back, then admitted he was just a front desk attendant. Now I was furious...and told him so. I asked to speak to a proper manager who was empowered to remedy the situation.

(10) Assistant Director of Housekeeping just called me to remedy the situation. He is the highest ranked manager on property today or this weekend--and it shows. He apologized, admitted the hotel screwed up on numerous occasions.

There seems to be a tragedy of epic proportions in management and service over this weekend at the St Regis San Francisco. It is completely and unabashedly bad on too many levels. Even when advised of my frustration over an issue, they managed to not resolve it and even let it continue. They haven't even asked further about the blackout shade. They haven't followed up to see if wifi in our suite worked better. Nothing. And housekeeping continues to screw the pooch.

From bad check-in, to bad housekeeping, to bad wifi in our room, to imperfect blackout shades, to being unable to contact front desk/butlers, to bad wifi in the restaurant, to speaking with a manager who wasn', to speaking with a proper manager, this has been a comedy of errors at the St. Regis San Francisco.

I can only hope that the GM and senior management team resolve this debacle.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 19, 2015 at 2:32 pm
Old Jan 27, 2016, 4:18 pm

Michelin star Ame is closing. Last day to eat is Feb 29.

Sad to see this go.
Old May 30, 2016, 4:26 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
Currently have a 3 night stay booked here for late august for our 15 year anniversary... anyone stay recently? Starting to feel hesitant...
Old May 30, 2016, 10:08 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by boston aa flyer
Currently have a 3 night stay booked here for late august for our 15 year anniversary... anyone stay recently? Starting to feel hesitant...
Was there a couple months ago and had a very nice stay--as usual. Will be back again in Dec, as well. Might be back in Oct/Nov, too, if schedule permits. Despite the 1 poor experience I had last Dec, this still is my favorite city hotel in the USA.
Old May 30, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Troopers
Michelin star Ame is closing. Last day to eat is Feb 29. Sad to seethe this go.
The closing was not a result of anything bad at the hotel; the partners who ran it under contract decided not to sign a new 10 year contract, in order to concentrate on their Napa Valley restaurant.
Old May 30, 2016, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by boston aa flyer
Still think this is the best SFO lux property right now...

Assuming you booked via Virtuoso (or SPG LP), have your agent VIP you on an anniversary stay. I'm sure they'll come up with something very nice
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Restaurant update: It has been decided that the temporary Grill restaurant, in the Ame space, will be made permanent with all-day and evening service. The fourth floor Vitrine will no longer operate as a restaurant, instead being bookable for events and meetings:

http://www.stregissanfrancisco.com/grill
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:48 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Restaurant update: It has been decided that the temporary Grill restaurant, in the Ame space, will be made permanent with all-day and evening service. The fourth floor Vitrine will no longer operate as a restaurant, instead being bookable for events and meetings:

http://www.stregissanfrancisco.com/grill
Thanks for that update! As much as I enjoyed Ame, I actually am fond of this choice. The hotel's biggest weakness was the Vitrine space, IMO. Moving to the far more appropriate Ame space for all day dining is a very nice move.

There already are so many Michelin restaurants nearby and popping up like crazy in recent years. If the StR can just focus on making the Grill even better, this is the best choice. Well done.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 29, 2016 at 12:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.