Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis San Francisco [Master Thread]

Old May 30, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WasKnown
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Dec 2016: 3 exceptional stays with Aman-like service and true luxury

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ue-luxury-1716

As of September 2021:

Breakfast is served as in-room dining
Spa is closed (seemingly permanently?)
Gym is open
Bar is open weekends until 11 PM
Print Wikipost

St Regis San Francisco [Master Thread]

Old Aug 4, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Marriott Silver; United PremExec; DL&Skybonus; Amtrak Select+
stayed here in august 2011 on points - was upgraded many days before to a superior room from the basic room

flew into SFO from LAS at 8AM, came straigt from the airport. associate recognized me immediately as a platinum member, but there was only a double-queen room available. the associate offered me a deluxe room with garden view after it became available. i accepted, went out for coffee, and came back at 10AM and it was still not yet available. the associate offered me a deluxe room with a city view and i accepted since i had a few meetings i wanted to shower for in the afternoon.

room is great - the console at the nightstand that controls the lightings/temperature/shades is fantastic. the city view leaves much to be desired. i didn't make use of it, but there is still bentley service available after 6pm (drop-off only) within 2 miles. the gym is undergoing some renovation, so there were fewer machines available but the gym at the palace was available to st. regis guests.

requested a 5pm late check-out, and it was accepted. everything else about the stay has been great, though the carpets in the hallway showed significant wear and tear, there were no chocolates left after turn-down service, and only one bottle of small evian was provided.

i stayed at the W San Francisco down the street, and i much prefer the St. Regis, though the redemption rates are significantly different.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:46 pm

i'm a cheapskate looking to soak in the St. Regis experience. Have two nights there from redeeming SPG points.

Any tips or suggestions? Never been to a five start hotel before.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:07 am

just wrapped up my two night stay.

the place is very nice. the service was unparallel.

was not able to take advantage of the Bentley service, but that would have been icing on the cake.

was upgraded two levels from standard room to deluxe room which simply meant I had a view of the city (Metreon/Yerba Buena Gardens). Asked for 3 pm check-out but they said they had another guest coming so they offered 2:30 pm check-out.

i would never pay $600/night, but if was definitely worth the points.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Hoping to stay here next easter for 3 nights with star points. I'm very close to having the points I need, but in the last day or two the points rate (20,000 per night) vanished from the site and it now says to call for reward bookings. Any idea what's going on? No way they won't have availability this far out but wondering if the points value may change (although at 20k per night and a category 6, I really can't see it going up!).
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:32 pm

I would call the SPG center and ask them to help you book it or have them call the hotel for an answer. If all fails, I would try the W hotel or Westin 3rd and Market st because they are on the same street.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:05 am
formerly RZachSmith

Just finished up a very enjoyable 2 night stay here with my wife (who's the Plat in our family).

We SNA'd to an Astor Suite which was confirmed 5 days prior to checkin. Our butler emailed us to ask about any special needs/requests, and we informed her that we would be arriving before noon if it was possible to have the room ready then (but that we understood if it could not be available until the afternoon). Room was ready when we arrived shortly after 11am. Platinum status recognized on arrival with choice between points/amenity/breakfast offered. We took the points, so I cannot comment on the continental breakfast at this property.

We very much enjoyed the room. A few areas of the living room showed some wear but nothing that detracted from the experience. Great views, great bathroom (rainforest shower is great, wife enjoyed the separate tub), no complaints about the bedroom.

We took advantage of the butler service coffee in the morning and tea at night, which was always executed efficiently. Otherwise we didn't take advantage of butler services.

Only small hitch we had was when we requested our late checkout. When stopped at the front desk to request a 4pm checkout for the following day, the front desk representative typed away at her computer and then said "We'd like to thank you for your SPG platinum status and can do a 2:30pm checkout." My wife had handled the conversation to this point, but turned to me, knowing that I was the one who knew the rules better. I said "thank you, but I believe as a platinum we are guaranteed 4pm checkout, in fact it says it on the platinum key holder." Agent replies "Well, if you read the fine print it says that is based on availability." This is when I started to get slightly frustrated, as I know this is only the case at resort/conference hotels. I say "no, that is only at resorts, and this is not a resort property" (I forgot the conference center part at that moment, but it wasn't relevant anyway). She types away a bit more and says "Okay no problem, 4pm check out will be fine."

All's well that ends well, but I don't like having to fight for guaranteed benefits. I'm going to chalk it up to a poorly-informed front desk staffer, but I generally don't expect to have to deal with that at a St. Regis, and it left a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

Still, other than that hiccup, we had a great stay and would gladly return in the future.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: AC E, *A G, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Porter Points
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

We had a great time at this property. Is it maybe considered a conference property as it's across from Moscone?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by yulhammeryyz
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

We had a great time at this property. Is it maybe considered a conference property as it's across from Moscone?
If itd not in the title then its not.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:09 pm
formerly RZachSmith

See this lurker post (#288) from 2010: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14807264-post288.html

It's not a conference property, and it sounds like late checkout has received some pushback in the past. Makes me think it is possible this was more than just a poorly informed front desk and maybe something hotel management tries to get away with. Regardless, they did it when pushed on it.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Any recent stay reports as a platinum member?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:31 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA Premier
Just stayed here at the end of January.

Stayed 4 nights (3 nights paid and 1 night points...which made a split reservation). Tried to redeem SNA's for all four nights and was only guaranteed a suite for the night I paid on points. I called the St. Regis and explained that I did not want to move rooms as I was already approved for a suite on the night I paid points but the other three nights were in a standard room...they offered me a $75 up-charge to be in the same suite during the first three nights (not sure why my SNA's weren't accepted and yet they were able to offer me the same suite by charging me more?). I accepted the offer and we were very happy with our Astor suite in the corner.

The hotel itself is very different from other St. Regis properties that I have stayed at...very modern and a little dark. The hotel feels a little dated and the vibe is like an upscale W.

The service was fantastic throughout the entire hotel. We were very pleased with our stay and we would come back again because of the service. This is not a hotel where I would book a room no matter the cost. With the exception of outstanding service (especially if you have the butler service), the furnishings are dated and you can get just as nice of a room at the Palace or the Westin St. Francis.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
the website won't let me book 5 consecutive award nights here....there is availability every day from the 12th -17th of june but its only letting me book from the 12th - 14th, the 14th -16th & then 16th - 17th....i wanted to book a 5 day stay in order to get the 5th night free....

has anyone else experienced something like this????
Old Apr 22, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
You have to call to book it. There are minimum stay requirements in the midst of your stay and the superior room is not available on all nights.

Last edited by sfozrhfco; Apr 22, 2013 at 9:20 am
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
You have to call to book it. There are minimum stay requirements in the midst of your stay and the superior room is not available on all nights.
minimum stay requirements should not be a problem because i am staying for more days than that....either way, the superior room is available for redemption on all 5 days when i check for individual dates....

Last edited by Keyser; Apr 22, 2013 at 10:27 am
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
Originally Posted by Keyser
minimum stay requirements should not be a problem because i am staying for more days than that....either way, the superior room is available on all 5 days....
Seriously, have you actually called SPG yet?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.