Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis San Francisco [Master Thread]

Old May 30, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WasKnown
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Dec 2016: 3 exceptional stays with Aman-like service and true luxury

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ue-luxury-1716

As of September 2021:

Breakfast is served as in-room dining
Spa is closed (seemingly permanently?)
Gym is open
Bar is open weekends until 11 PM
Print Wikipost

St Regis San Francisco [Master Thread]

Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
My stay a few weeks ago, I was pre upgraded by them to an Astor suite. First time ever! Well...without having to ask or check online to see if they were selling suites (too much work for what I thought they should do automatically for plt's, if avail)
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:31 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Priority Club Plat, Hilton Gold
Just denied late checkout

Said 1pm only as it's based upon availability after calling the front desk. This isn't a resort or conference hotel per platinum concierge when making the reservation (I didn't check). Corporate just told me that 4pm late checkout is always based upon availability which is not in the fine print for SPG.com benefits.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:35 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by crazywudsl
Said 1pm only as it's based upon availability after calling the front desk. This isn't a resort or conference hotel per platinum concierge when making the reservation (I didn't check).
This is not a resort or conference hotel.

Corporate just told me that 4pm late checkout is always based upon availability which is not in the fine print for SPG.com benefits.
Doubtful that it was anyone in the corporate office. Customer service, perhaps? My apologies, but please call back and insist that they file a case. If they resist, ask to speak to a supervisor.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:42 am

Just denied late checkout

Front desk says it's always based upon availability. Corporate just said the same thing regardless of conference or resort. Platinum concierge is thinking the same thing even though I point out that SPG.com benefits doesn't show availability exclusion. When making reservation the platinum phone rep said 4pm would not be a problem since this isn't a con/resort hotel(I never bothered to double check this). Oh well, I got a late flight out with kids and this kinda sucks. Way to go St. Regis !
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:46 am

SPG corporate 800-328-6242 denied me
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:47 am

SPG corporate 800-328-6242 denied me
That is customer service. Did you ask to speak to a supervisor, as I suggested?

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:53 am

SPG platinum concierge is talking to hotel

Okay 4pm it is though I'm sure the hotel never honors this benefit in general just like the upgrades to rooms available, etc
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:55 am

...just like the upgrades to rooms available, etc
Did you miss post #286?

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:05 am

Not saying they never upgrade....

Stating that policy is somewhat subjective based on what they feel like. I was upgraded 1 room category when 2 types before suites were available at check-in. The check-in person had to ask whether a premium room was even a choice for platinum upgrade or not. They then preassigned me that room type after she confirmed with her neighbor check-in rep. When I checked in later that night was downgraded back to deluxe room.

Just a bit murky is all. Sure they upgrade as they feel they need to or want to. That being said the hotel is otherwise fine
Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Did you miss post #286?
William - clearly there is a problem with this hotel honoring SPG's rules on Platinum upgrades. Pointing out one instance where the hotel plays by the rules doesn't prove that the problem is fixed.

Should we point out the post numbers where Platinum guests were not given upgrades when spg.com shows better rooms? Should we point out the post numbers where the property backtracked and changed their story on why they denied an upgrade?

How long has the 4 PM Platinum check-out been in existence? I believe it has been around since this property opened. How can they get this wrong? I can see a mistake if the policy changed...but it has been around since the get go for this hotel, right?

The hotel is OBVIOUSLY trying to cut corners when it comes to Platinum benefits. This is really not deniable/debatable.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
William - clearly there is a problem with this hotel honoring SPG's rules on Platinum upgrades. Pointing out one instance where the hotel plays by the rules doesn't prove that the problem is fixed.
Well, clearly, they do get it right on occasion, don't they?

Should we point out the post numbers where Platinum guests were not given upgrades when spg.com shows better rooms? Should we point out the post numbers where the property backtracked and changed their story on why they denied an upgrade?
Yes. I'm sure that someone has the discretionary time to do that.

How long has the 4 PM Platinum check-out been in existence? I believe it has been around since this property opened. How can they get this wrong? I can see a mistake if the policy changed...but it has been around since the get go for this hotel, right?
It certainly precedes the hotel joining Starwood/SPG.

The hotel is OBVIOUSLY trying to cut corners when it comes to Platinum benefits. This is really not deniable/debatable.
I don't believe that. I do believe that they can use some guidance, however, so everyone should keep letting us know when they fail to meet expectations.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:52 pm
Suspended

I don't believe that. I do believe that they can use some guidance, however, so everyone should keep letting us know when they fail to meet expectations.
Believe me, William, I am not trying to be argumentative.

I take individual reviews with a grain of salt. But, when a property has a history of "issues" with Platinum members (upgrades, late check out, etc.), I think it's fair to say that the property is deliberately trying to deny benefits/cut corners.

On the flipside, there are some real gems. If there is review after review after review of great service (see Westin Diplomat, see Hotel Bretagne, etc.), the hotel is obviously abiding by the rules of the SPG program and should receive kudos.

I agree with you 99.9% of the time (well, give or take ), but I don't agree with you in this case. Clearly, in my opinion, there is a problem with this hotel. While upgrades are always debatable because there is not transparency (was the room clean when the person checked in?), the 4 PM late check out is: 1) long-standing (and in existence before this property even opened!!) and 2) not allowed to be denied unless the property is a resort or there is a conference going on....both not the case in this instance.

Trying to deny a 4 PM late check out is just blatantly bad, William. You are usually not such a "homer."
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:01 am

Lets hope this is no longer an issue in the future....

I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us. It was brought to my attention about your 4pm late checkout which I have extended to 4pm. Thank you for bringing to my attention this issue and I assure you that we will do an extensive re-training with all our associates with the benefits of our Platinum Starwood preferred Guest Program.

If I can be of further assistance to you please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Sincerely,
Craig Hiroshi Nishio Assistant Front Office Manager
THE ST. REGIS SAN FRANCISCO 125 THIRD STREET SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA 94103
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
...You are usually not such a "homer."
Which probably means that I know a little more about the situation here than everyone else.

Suffice to say, the hotel has been responsive to every contact we have had with them recently, so I really do not think it will be an ongoing affair...unless of course a new round of front desk associates are hired and are temporarily overwhelmed by all the training they have to endure. Still, time and experience cures that eventually.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Sep 28, 2010, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Which probably means that I know a little more about the situation here than everyone else.

Suffice to say, the hotel has been responsive to every contact we have had with them recently, so I really do not think it will be an ongoing affair...unless of course a new round of front desk associates are hired and are temporarily overwhelmed by all the training they have to endure. Still, time and experience cures that eventually.
Gotcha. Thanks for "hinting" at the reason for the service mis-steps. Finally, some transparency.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.