FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   St Regis San Francisco [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/606824-st-regis-san-francisco-master-thread.html)

cricketer Sep 10, 2009 10:58 pm

Staying tomorrow night on a FWN award. Looks like it's completely sold out online, so I'm not expecting much of an upgrade. Unless it's sold out to FTers on a FWN binge, which is quite possible!

cricketer Sep 12, 2009 10:38 pm

Superb stay at the St. Regis last night. On check-in was informed that "as a Platinum member, we've upgraded you to an Astor Suite," everything was excellent in the room, the amenity chocolate bar (for what it's worth) showed up with the turn-down service. Couldn't have asked for more really.

AZ Travels the World Sep 13, 2009 12:39 am

Originally Posted by cricketer (Post 12371839)
Superb stay at the St. Regis last night. On check-in was informed that "as a Platinum member, we've upgraded you to an Astor Suite," everything was excellent in the room, the amenity chocolate bar (for what it's worth) showed up with the turn-down service. Couldn't have asked for more really.

I had a similar experience last weekend -- upgraded to the Astor Suite as a Platinum member and chocolate bar amenity on the first night.

I have to say, though, that service was not at the spot-on level I experienced a couple years ago.

- I called for ice and it didn't come. Called again 30 minutes later and it took 15 more minutes to receive it. 45 minutes for ice (when you have no self-service option) at a hotel of this caliber is not acceptable.

- Left the room at 9:00 AM and left the 'Please service the room' light illuminated. Returned at 2:30 PM and it had not yet been serviced, though fresh linens were piled up on the sofa in the living room of the suite. I felt that 5+ hours should have been sufficient -- clearly the signal light provided was ignored.

Otherwise, it was a pleasant stay at an exceptional property and I would not hesitate to return.

cbchicago Sep 13, 2009 3:16 am

Stayed at the St Regis on Labor day week. No upgrade for this Plat here. Checked in at 10pm on Friday and got a normal room. I checked out the next day and went to the Westin across the street. Got a suite at the Westin with no problems. My only problem is that I booked this stay two months before my arrival. It was no secret that I was coming. How hard is it for them to block a better room for me. I guess that just because I arrived late that I got stuck with the normal room. Also, no Plat amenity or points. Bottom line, never staying there again.

peteropny Sep 13, 2009 7:43 am

Originally Posted by cbchicago (Post 12372262)
Stayed at the St Regis on Labor day week. No upgrade for this Plat here. Checked in at 10pm on Friday and got a normal room. I checked out the next day and went to the Westin across the street. Got a suite at the Westin with no problems. My only problem is that I booked this stay two months before my arrival. It was no secret that I was coming. How hard is it for them to block a better room for me. I guess that just because I arrived late that I got stuck with the normal room. Also, no Plat amenity or points. Bottom line, never staying there again.

You must have arrived at about the same time as us - may I ask what room you were assigned to? We got 1110 which was definitely one of the smallest rooms in the hotel. I was ready to walk the next morning if the MOD didn't move us - which she did to 1402 one of the corner rooms (not a suite but at least a lot more appropriate). I now count at least 4 FTers who were there that weekend - all Plats.

satori Sep 13, 2009 8:29 am

I had my third St. Regis San Francisco stay using Free Weekend Nights over Labor Day weekend. We received a Metropolitan Suite but only due to advance booking after complaining the weekend before on service issues.

The hotel itself has some top-notch features like the fitness room, pool, and yoga room. The fitness room has a full set of weight machines, treadmills, bikes, magazines, tvs, fruit. The fitness room is as good as I have seen for a self-contained hotel exercise room. The adjacent yoga room is a feature Ms. Loyalty Traveler found particularly appealing. A full size room with mirrors and hardwood floors is ideal for yoga. I never saw anyone in the yoga room over several visits.

The 6th floor indoor pool is my favorite of the Starwood Hotels in San Francisco. Open 24 hours. I could get 7 full swim strokes per pool length when most pools are around 5 to 6 for me. Large luxurious pool towels and extra-large round cushion lounge chairs. The window ledges around the bright room have padded cushions for sitting right next to the 6th floor windows and gazing out to the W Hotel or Yerba Buena Gardens across
3rd Street. Pool was generally quiet with just one or two people each time I stopped by, except for my first stay when a couple of kids and Dad camped out poolside all day.

The hotel rooms have terrific beds. The linens, mattress, and pillows are top form. Undoubtedly the best quality bed for Starwood Hotels in San Francisco.

The bathrooms are the greatest variable in the three rooms I have stayed. The bathrooms were each a major feature of the room. The xx02 room had the least desirable design in my opinion with the shower and the toilet against the wall with a sliding door. A similar design in the Metropolitan Suite with the toilet and shower didn't seem as claustrophobic due to the larger bathroom size. The Metropolitan Suite had more of a separate room bath design whereas the corner Executive Suite xx02 bathroom is more a part of the bedroom.

I also stayed in a Deluxe room on the east (back) side of the hotel. Two nice features of this bathroom. First was a regular (not sliding) glass door with a separate toilet stall. The second feature only found in this smaller room was a shelf seat in the shower stall. The other two "upgraded" rooms did not have a shower stall shelf or a compartmentalized toilet separate from the shower.

The extra deep bath tub, the shower stall rainshower, and the Remede bath products are commendable features of the St. Regis. The desk and desk chair are the same in each room and this piece of furniture was solid, stable, and functional in each room. 42-inch TV is nice feature. Too bad there are no HD channels. It really is preferable to watch DVDs and DVD player allows you to play CD music through TV.
The St. Regis butler can also provide CDs and DVDs available for use while staying in the hotel.

Great views from almost all rooms. The windows have a 24 to 33 inch wide marble ledge allowing the guest to sit right next to the window. This makes for some fun views looking right over the edge to see San Francisco city life.

The park side facing 3rd street has better view but also more noise as this is a major route for firetrucks heading to Mission or Market Street from the firestation around the corner, next to W Hotel. Rooms on backside are quietest.

The bar and restaurants offer a gourmet selection of food and drinks. There were items on the menu that are not the typical fare. I am also pleasantly surprised to see an international beer I haven't tried and St. Regis had a few not so common Japanese and European beers. Kelley was impressed with Vera Wang Wedgewood china on the tables in 4th floor Vitrine. Never got around to eating at Ame, the lobby restaurant.

The cons at the St. Regis primarily are with regard to service. A lower caliber hotel would not be worthy of some of these criticisms due to lesser guest expectations. But St. Regis San Francisco is a hotel averaging $400+ per night or as a SPG Category 6 hotel 20,000 points or $150 and 8,000 points for Cash & Points. C&P offer is not common here. That kind of money comes with minimum expectations. Not meeting a number of these expectations on each of my three hotel stays tells me this property is 5-star facilities with very uneven service levels across several departments within the hotel.

I was also surprised by the poor quality of some furnishings in the rooms and lobby. Damaged wall hangings, wobbly and severely scuffed furniture are not what I would expect for a hotel room at the St. Regis.

I have to laugh to think how many people must spill their $15 cocktail on some of the lobby bar tables around the couches that are rather unsteady with the slightest touch. I recommend you give your table the earthquake shake before you choose your seat to imbibe.

1st stay: Car port attendants were more interested in their conversation with each other than assisting me get luggage from my car. Long waits (5 min to 15 min) for check-in lines, hotel front desk service lines during stay, and check-out lines. This is a hotel where TV checkout would have been desirable. I didn't see that option.

2nd stay: We had to wait nearly 2 hours to get a basic room when we arrived at 3pm. We returned back to the hotel at 5pm and our room was ready. Our luggage arrived at 6:45pm. This was the issue I complained about that initiated the Metropolitan Suite upgrade for labor Day weekend.

The pool area only has one toilet/changing room. There was no toilet paper in the room from 10pm Sunday night until about 10am Monday morning. Used towels in the bathroom had actually been picked up, but no toilet paper replaced. Fortunately there were tissues in the room. The pool area had loads of used towels from Sunday evening until late Monday morning.

3rd stay: Appreciated upgrade to Metropolitan Suite.

Service issues: We arrived at 5pm and Metropolitan Suite room not ready. Front desk offered us complimentary drinks at the bar while we waited. I still have to follow up to get the charge removed from my credit card. Waited an hour until after 6pm before we were told our room was ready.

Newspaper received one morning, but not delivered the next morning. No chocolate bar delivered at turn-down service on either night. I received chocolate the weekend before.

The air conditioning in the bedroom did not work. We had to keep the door open between the sitting room and the bedroom or else the bedroom temperature rose 10 degrees over the sitting room.

Charged nearly $50 for mini-bar. I haven't consumed a mini-bar item in the past ten years.

Waiter in Vitrine didn't mention any menu specials to me but I overheard the other waitress tell all her guests menu specials after I had ordered from my waiter.

Furnishings issues: The dining table was so wobbly that I was reluctant to set a glass of expensive wine on the table. The large out-of-focus photo wall hanging in the dining room had a 3-inch tear. The coffee table in the sitting room looked beat up enough to be flea market material. The couch squeaked so loudly that my wife thought I had severe gas every time I sat down.

Nothing to do with the hotel, but I woke up hearing screaming and watched a fight at 1:30am involving at least two dozen people in the middle of Mission Street. Cops showed up five minutes after the 15 minute long fight. I appreciated the pillows and wide window ledge for the above-the-crowd view. The fight looked serious and I kept waiting for someone to fall from a stab wound or hear a gun shot. Fortunately, no victims were left on the ground of Mission Street.

San Francisco nights.

I canceled my St. Regis San Francisco stay for this weekend. I gave them three tries and I was assured this last stay would show me they have 5-star service.

Think I will try SLS Beverly Hills instead.

deltasky Sep 13, 2009 8:56 am

This is the first time I've stayed at the St. Regis in San Francisco and will also be my last time.

Prior to my arrival, I contacted the hotel by e-mail and received communication from them for a specific check-in time. They replied, the room will be ready upon your arrival.

Upon arrival, I was told the room was not ready and it would take at least a couple hours for housekeeping to get around to cleaning the room as a number of they had to be cleaned. They made no offer for anything complimentary while we were waiting in the lobby.

After an hour, I returned to the front desk to obtain a status. The agent indicated the room was still not ready, but to my surprise other guests were checking in next to me for the same room type and were given a room. After another 30 minutes, we ended up getting a room, but it was a terrible way to begin a stay.

Other service issues:

1. No newspaper for three days out of the stay.
2. The service room feature in the room doesn't work well. On more than one occassion, I would press the button in the morning and return after lunch and the room was still not serviced.

Overall, the service at this hotel is seriously lacking. Probably the most annoying out of the entire stay was despite all the difficulties during the check-in process, not a single employee called the room in the evening nor anytime during the stay to offer any apologies or provide a comp breakfast or something of that sort to smooth things over.

Do yourself a favor, the Westin is just up the street for a much more reasonable price and the service is far superior.

gabo02 Sep 14, 2009 2:38 pm

WoW!!! Just wasted a Free Weekend Night. For a Category 6 didn't impress me much. Arrived at the hotel and around 7pm. Bellmen were just talking away as I unloaded my luggage and opened the door to check-in. Not a big deal. At check-in was not even done asking if any suites were available when the agent said no suites available. But clicking away agent said she had upgraded me to an Executive Premier Room. She hadn't the agent the night before had. No thank you for being Platinum nor a Platinum amenity as posted before. I asked about an amenity and was told that it was the upgrade and a Chocolate Bar. They can pretty much keep their dumb $5.95 Charles Chocolate Bar. No Turndown Service or an early morning newspaper. It's sad that the rooms are really nice and our high tech when the service is bad. This moring had to request an iron since there is not one in the room which is wierd. When ironing my pants were ruined with the rusty water coming out of the iron. Think I had a better stay at the Westin San Luis Potosi in Mexico a Category 2 Hotel.

But the good part of my stay was at the Vitrine Restaurant. Service was excellent. would like to give a two ^ to the waiters there. Danny, Mario and Hazel that turned my stay a little better. Seems like its a hit a miss with hotels sometimes.

Potay Sep 16, 2009 5:08 pm

Did the St. Regis SF cease platinum amenity gifts?

I recently stayed at the St. Regis SF, and neglected to ask for a platinum amenity... i emailed later to inquire as to why they did not offer one, they said that they do not participate in that aspect of the SPG program. anyone else have any recent data points??

KENNECTED Sep 16, 2009 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by eufto (Post 12392053)
I recently stayed at the St. Regis SF, and neglected to ask for a platinum amenity... i emailed later to inquire as to why they did not offer one, they said that they do not participate in that aspect of the SPG program. anyone else have any recent data points??

You should have received a local gift upon arrival. Was anything sent to or in your room when you arrived?

FAQ: The Platinum Welcome Amenity thread.

DesertRat Sep 18, 2009 5:29 pm

My 2 cents from a recent FWN:

-- No plat upgrade. Room was average size.

-- Remote control broke twice.

-- Parking down the alley at Moma garage was more reasonable, unless you need in and out.

-- Service was OK but you have to ask for everything -- the coffee maker, what kind of newspaper you want, etc.

-- The chocolate bar did arrive but I'd rather have 500 starpoints.

-- Spa prices listed did not include a 20 percent tip. So if you pay cash for a tip, you will also be paying a stealth 20 percent on your bill. NOT cool.

--Room service fees also not listed on the order form, but added to your bill. Again, NOT cool.

-- In summary, it was good for a FWN but I can't imagine paying the listed points or cash rates for this property.

jocelynt Sep 21, 2009 1:53 pm

Just finish a stay at the St. Regis San Francisco on the FWN promo.
The staff @ the front desk was rude on numerous occassions. I was upgraded to a Astor Suite but did not get that room until coming back downstairs on my way out to dinner @ 6PM. Just had to check in case.
I had checked in at 2:30 with my family. We had 2 rooms. One room was under my name (Platinum) and the other was under my hubby (which he is just a preferred member) They gave him his room and I asked about mine I was told if I didn't want my upgrade then they would give me a normal room. Since they said that the room that they had upgraded me to had another Platinum member in it. That I would most likely not get my room until about 7PM that Saturday evening. That I should know how it is since they don't know if that member will be checking out late. You know how Platinum members are. When he said that I was thinking what the heck? I told him thats fine that I was not in a rush for the room since we were able to get into the other room. I asked him if he would please let me know when that room would be ready so that I could come back down to get the keys. Never received a call at all to let me know that the room was ready.
When I finally received my keys at 6PM the lady that gave them to me at the front desk wanted to walk me to the elevators but I told her that I already knew where the elevators were since we already had another room. She got upset, made a rude gesture and offended by saying all I was trying to do was show you where the elevators were.
--Never received any local amenity.
--Never received the chocolate bar at turn down.
--I felt that everywhere my husband and I turned the people who worked there were just waiting for their tips. They sent a butler with us up to our room just to walk us to our room. Then after that then came the bellman.
I have no desire to come back to this hotel.

aCavalierInCoach Sep 21, 2009 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by jocelynt (Post 12414627)
Just finish a stay at the St. Regis San Francisco on the FWN promo.
The staff @ the front desk was rude on numerous occassions. I was upgraded to a Astor Suite but did not get that room until coming back downstairs on my way out to dinner @ 6PM. Just had to check in case.
I had checked in at 2:30 with my family. We had 2 rooms. One room was under my name (Platinum) and the other was under my hubby (which he is just a preferred member) They gave him his room and I asked about mine I was told if I didn't want my upgrade then they would give me a normal room. Since they said that the room that they had upgraded me to had another Platinum member in it. That I would most likely not get my room until about 7PM that Saturday evening. That I should know how it is since they don't know if that member will be checking out late. You know how Platinum members are. When he said that I was thinking what the heck? I told him thats fine that I was not in a rush for the room since we were able to get into the other room. I asked him if he would please let me know when that room would be ready so that I could come back down to get the keys. Never received a call at all to let me know that the room was ready.
When I finally received my keys at 6PM the lady that gave them to me at the front desk wanted to walk me to the elevators but I told her that I already knew where the elevators were since we already had another room. She got upset, made a rude gesture and offended by saying all I was trying to do was show you where the elevators were.
--Never received any local amenity.
--Never received the chocolate bar at turn down.
--I felt that everywhere my husband and I turned the people who worked there were just waiting for their tips. They sent a butler with us up to our room just to walk us to our room. Then after that then came the bellman.
I have no desire to come back to this hotel.

Are we supposed to receive an amenity on FWNAs? I did at the Palace this past weekend... did not on either of 2 stays at the St. Regis. :td: SR-SFO.

AZ Travels the World Sep 21, 2009 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach (Post 12415141)
Are we supposed to receive an amenity on FWNAs? I did at the Palace this past weekend... did not on either of 2 stays at the St. Regis. :td: SR-SFO.

Yes (assuming you mean Platinum Amenity), it's the chocolate bar that has received largely snide references in this thread.

allset2travel Sep 21, 2009 6:24 pm

Holy smoke. I can't believe what I am reading.

I am taking my business to the W and try my luck there.