Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, CA [Master Thread]

Westin South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, CA [Master Thread]

Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Nancy Colson
Can anyone tell me the difference between the DeLuxe King Rooms and the Executive Rooms? I've reserved an Executive Room because it was larger but, whenever I go to the booking I am asked if I want to upgrrade to a DeLuxe Room. I'm not understanding what the upgrade is.
See my post above. Their room rate structuring is totally absurd.

Exec rooms are larger and situated in corners of building; so more private and potentially quieter.

Deluxe rooms are smaller and don't have the added privacy of corner rooms, yet they're situated on the top few floors of the building.

They're "upgrading" you into a lousier more cramped space on a higher floor, and basically selling what should be their preferred executive rooms with the potential risk of getting shoved into one of the lower level ground floor units, in order to justify inflating the rates on smaller rooms.

Whether one chooses to pony up a bit more bread for a lousier room on a higher floor is a matter of how much one considers the threat of getting stuck two floors above an eight lane intersection at the San Diego Fwy... this is easily avoided by re-categorizing room inventory in a logical way.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:16 pm

To further confuse matters, there's also the park view category, which is somewhere between executive and dlx in the price structure, and basically just guarantees you aren't facing the noisy 405... the exec rooms could potentially fall under the park view and deluxe categories, but not the other way around. I finally got a helpful rep from the hotel on the horn just now and he recommended to always book an exec room and request a higher floor, so I'm sticking with that.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:44 am

Platinum breakfast?

Now that Pinot Provence is closed, do they still offer breakfast as a platinum amenity here? Any recent experiences?

Thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:26 pm

Anyone that's stayed at Marriotts in Newport Beach can you offer a quick comparison in terms of hard product, room size, layout and comfort? I could care less about amenities or service at these type of hotels but would like to know how this compares to the Marriott Newport Beach Hotel & Spa or Newport Bayview. It's a bit more expensive but I'll gladly take it if it makes for a nicer stay.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:50 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by OliverB
Anyone that's stayed at Marriotts in Newport Beach can you offer a quick comparison in terms of hard product, room size, layout and comfort? I could care less about amenities or service at these type of hotels but would like to know how this compares to the Marriott Newport Beach Hotel & Spa or Newport Bayview. It's a bit more expensive but I'll gladly take it if it makes for a nicer stay.
As a local who has visited friends and colleagues in all three hotels many times in just this most recent year, I think the Westin has by far the most modern and refreshed rooms overall and the nicer restaurant. (I’ve also stayed overnight here and very much like the hotel.)

I also think the Westin is a bit nicer overall as a property—smaller hotel, less confusing layout than the Marriott Newport Beach, much nicer restaurant, and a great location across from South Coast Plaza. I think room sizes aren’t terribly efferent across the properties, but I can’t say for sure. I’d put the Newport Beach Marriott in Fashion Island next, as its rooms can be a bit dated, but it’s still a nice, clean Marriott. The Marriott Bayview is woefully dated in comparison and really doesn’t have nice views nor is it close to as much as the others.

You pay a bit more for the Westin likely also because South Coast Plaza is the very premium mall. Fashion Island is nice, but South Coast Plaza is top drawer. So that may push you one way or the other. If you like the Fashion Island location better, you may be better off staying at the Marriott. If you like the South Coast Plaza location (which also has excellent freeway access and is extremely close to SNA), then the Westin is your better choice.

Hope that helps.

You also can consider the Avenue of the Arts Tribute Portfolio Hotel just a few blocks away. It’s a pretty cool place, too.
OliverB and flockavelliFT like this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 1, 2017 at 11:02 pm
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:55 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bhrubin
As a local who has visited friends and colleagues in all three hotels many times in just this most recent year, I think the Westin has by far the most modern and refreshed rooms overall and the nicer restaurant. (Ive also stayed overnight here and very much like the hotel.)

I also think the Westin is a bit nicer overall as a propertysmaller hotel, less confusing layout than the Marriott Newport Beach, much nicer restaurant, and a great location across from South Coast Plaza. I think room sizes arent terribly efferent across the properties, but I cant say for sure. Id put the Newport Beach Marriott in Fashion Island next, as its rooms can be a bit dated, but its still a nice, clean Marriott. The Marriott Bayview is woefully dated in comparison and really doesnt have nice views nor is it close to as much as the others,

You pay a bit more for the Westin likely also because South Coast Plaza is the very premium mall. Fashion Island is nice, but South Coast Plaza is top drawer. So that may push you one way or the other. If you like the Fashion Island location better, you may be better off staying at the Marriott. If you like the South Coast Plaza location (which also has excellent freeway access and is extremely close to SNA), then the Westin is your better choice.

Hopw that helps.

You also can consider the Avenue of the Arts Tribute Portfolio Hotel just a few blocks away. Its a pretty cool place, too.
Thanks bud! My original gut said Westin and your post above has made it official. Sold on the Westin SCP.

I'm going to book alternate nights with my acct and my wife's in order to bank the bonus 1K 'Explore More' promo points currently offered. Marriott's running a promo for free cat. 1-5 nights which seemed like a good deal but there's not a single property I see myself redeeming that stay for in the next 6 months. The Westin is better situated to where we'll be spending most of our time anyhow.

Thanks again for helping to sway my decision!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:15 pm

If there was any doubt at all, I just discovered that there's a Din Tai Fung in South Coast Plaza!

(and a Noguchi garden across the street)
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:26 pm

We recently stayed here for 4 nights and the rooms are very nice and it's a quiet hotel so we enjoyed that. The breakfast for Plats is a $12 credit so you can use that towards breakfast or get the continental which is covered. We liked the close walk to South Coast Plaza and did some holiday shopping. It's a pleasant place to stay if you're in the area and are looking for a Starwood.
bhrubin and flockavelliFT like this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 11:03 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by OliverB
If there was any doubt at all, I just discovered that there's a Din Tai Fung in South Coast Plaza!

(and a Noguchi garden across the street)
So have you stayed here yet? What did you think?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
So Im currently staying here for 3 nights.
Overall a solid choice and Im definitely a fan of the location.
Platinum status got me one of those deluxe rooms on the highest (16th) floor. Nothing extraordinary, but solid Westin standard. I actively asked about suites but its true that they have few and hotel was actually fully booked on the website.
Staff is extremely friendly, from doorman over restaurant waiters to reception staff.

Regarding platinum breakfast: I suggest spending your vouchers at the inhouse Starbucks. Staying as a couple, you get 24$ credit which gets you an ok selection for breakfast. We also tried the continental breakfast at the restaurant which was good quality, but overall underwhelming a bit (see photo), also really lacking protein (how about some scrambled eggs?). Prices at the restaurant were outrageous in my opinion.

Last edited by flockavelliFT; Mar 21, 2018 at 4:01 pm
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I would probably just get Din Tai Fun to go for any in room meal other than breakfast if staying there.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
That Starbucks is crazy expensive too. I recently stayed and thought for once I'd try the voucher and it basically got me a latte, yogurt and 1/3 of a banana.

FWIW: there is a real Starbucks in the mall just inside the entrance as you cross the bridge from the Westin, not a far walk.

Originally Posted by flockavelliFT
So Im currently staying here for 3 nights.
Overall a solid choice and Im definitely a fan of the location.
Platinum status got me one of those deluxe rooms on the highest (16th) floor. Nothing extraordinary, but solid Westin standard. I actively asked about suites but its true that they have few and hotel was actually fully booked on the website.
Staff is extremely friendly, from doorman over restaurant waiters to reception staff.

Regarding platinum breakfast: I suggest spending your vouchers at the inhouse Starbucks. Staying as a couple, you get 24$ credit which gets you an ok selection for breakfast. We also tried the continental breakfast at the restaurant which was good quality, but overall underwhelming a bit (see photo), also really lacking protein (how about some scrambled eggs?). Prices at the restaurant were outrageous in my opinion.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:37 am

Programs: DL DI AA LTPL MAR LTPL HY GL
anybody stayed here this year? curious how it is re: COVID etc...
Old Dec 5, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Stayed back in August: property was open, but many services shut down. Pool was open, but by appointment only.

Since the Marriott takeover, this property seems to be taking advantage of the lower standards and offerings for elites (no bottled water, no Ambassador treats, upgrades to the non-Freeway side). They have also pretty much stopped offering the shoping package with the SCP mall next door, hence my stays have dropped off dramatically here.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Stayed back in August: property was open, but many services shut down. Pool was open, but by appointment only.

Since the Marriott takeover, this property seems to be taking advantage of the lower standards and offerings for elites (no bottled water, no Ambassador treats, upgrades to the non-Freeway side). They have also pretty much stopped offering the shoping package with the SCP mall next door, hence my stays have dropped off dramatically here.
Repeat AE guest here.. never had an upgrade denied to the side of the building I preferred this year. They also stopped doing the treats for AE due to room service being closed, but if you ask nicely at the front desk they will let you take some goodies from the fridge.

This is one of my favorite properties in SoCal. If you have a problem with a stay, contact the FD. They are helpful!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.