Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mystique - Santorini, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l380
Print Wikipost

Mystique - Santorini, Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by RedSun
I think there is quite some walk from the hotel to the "views".
What? There are spectacular views right from your balcony and if you want the great sunset views you just take a short walk to town to see those in the other direction. Are you confusing Mystique with Vedema?

This was the view from our patio and room at Mystique!

Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by christianj
What? There are spectacular views right from your balcony and if you want the great sunset views you just take a short walk to town to see those in the other direction. Are you confusing Mystique with Vedema?

This was the view from our patio and room
Stayed here in May. This is accurate. I can understand the common “negatives” about this hotel - it’s expensive and the rooms are “caves” and the front windows aren’t giant so the room can be dark (wouldn’t be that great to have breakfast in bed). But 3-4feet from your bed is your terrace with amazing views so we didn’t even want to be lazy in bed.

Then of course booking with the reduced points solves the first point. I used a corporate rate I had access to and it was ~€550/night for an Allure Suite in mid May.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by jmanirish

Stayed here in May. This is accurate. I can understand the common “negatives” about this hotel - it’s expensive and the rooms are “caves” and the front windows aren’t giant so the room can be dark (wouldn’t be that great to have breakfast in bed). But 3-4feet from your bed is your terrace with amazing views so we didn’t even want to be lazy in bed.

All the good hotels in Oia are cava style and flow into the mountain side but have outside terraces.

The Mystique has a good location and is a quick walk from the beginning of the Oia walkway.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was this review from OMAAT being posted in this thread?

One guy posted in the comment section described Oia as, " I stayed in Oia (at a different hotel) roughly around the same time as you and my assessment was similar. Great service and very special views, but the “hard product” of the rooms were disappointing considering the price and the place felt like an adult theme park with nothing but hotels, restaurants and tourist shops. Unlike you though, we weren’t impressed with most of our dining experiences. The one exception was the delightful Armeni Fish Restaurant which featured the laid back atmosphere we’d been looking for right on the water at the bottom of the cliffs with excellent fresh seafood. "

https://onemileatatime.com/mystique-santorini-review/

Been in Santorini many times since a decade or more ago, both land trip style and via cruise ships, I can only say that it is a big "Yawn" for Mystique.

A big issue of Santorini itself is the now the overwhelmingly crowded situation especially at Oia. We last return were on a Port of Call this Spring, and were very put off by the huge crowds roaming on the once very nice Oia streets. And no, over 70% of them were not cruise passengers, but just tourists visiting the island. You can tell the difference between the 2 groups. Besides we were the only ship in town that day (A Rarity!). with many passengers were those "been there, done that" type. The streets were so full of tourists, always some people were taking selfies, really made the stroll not only unpleasant but at times difficult! That was in May. I cannot imagine how bad the place would turn to when it is in Jul/Aug the peak of the Summer high season (and will be very very hot).

My husband did not even want to get off the ship but reluctantly agreed to go when the speed boat services directly from Old Port to Oia and with a dedicated bus back to Fira, were fully operational. We were very disappointed on how Oia had changed even just from 2 years ago. Now not even the little shops were interesting as all of them were selling the same stuff that you could tell either from China or from Turkey. In the past these little shops sold locally made handicrafts that were all unique.
Besides, along the main drag now overwhelmingly the businesses were hotels and restaurants. We ended up took the first bus back to Fira and then took the cable car down to the Old Port and headed back to ship. Apparently many passengers had same thought as the cable car line was quite long and it was only mid afternoon.

If it is your first time to Santorini and to Mystique, you may want to tone down your expectation and not be tricked into thinking how much "value" you are getting because the listed rates.

The best part of Santorini to stay is NOT Oia, but the small towns between Fira and Oia, at Imerovigli. No, there is no chain hotel you can use points but there are many upscale boutique hotels on the cliff just like Oia, but not as touristy as Oia. The rates are also more "reasonable" But the best part is, you dont see the huge tourist crowd like at Oia.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 17, 2018 at 10:10 am
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:16 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I will be able to post a trip report at the end of October. We intentionally booked off season to try and minimize crowds as much as possible. We also splurged on the Air of Secrecy Villa for 2 nights since we are celebrating a special anniversary. The hotel kindly offered to heat our private pool free of charge (something Domes of Elounda refused to do)

So far we have found the staff at Mystique to be very accommodating. We are really looking forward to our stay.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP
I have a room booked for Aug 8-13, but just realized that the property is adults-only, which is unfortunate since we have a child...

I will be cancelling our booking in the next few days, so if anyone wants to try to time a booking to coincide with our cancellation, please PM me.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:04 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Double post
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:06 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Room service breakfast on our private view terrace

Here now and blown away by the beauty at this property and the attentive, friendly staff. Each person we have dealt with from Rafael at reception to Anita who helped us with wines to Vlad who delivers our room service breakfasts to Constatina on the phone has gone out of his/her way to make us feel comfortable and valued. In fact I consider the service here to be on par with the best luxury hotels.

The hotel graciously heated our our pool to a perfect temperature so that we can enjoy it day and night, allowed us to have our Plat breakfasts on our private terrace and yesterday arranged one of the best boat rides we have ever had.

Will write a full review when we are back home in La Jolla.

View from our heated plunge pool- 5.5 foot deep!

bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by damon88; Oct 14, 2018 at 5:10 am
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:52 am
Community Director Emerita

damon88, thank you for your beautiful pictures and positive report. Is this a property where there are many flights of steps necessary to reach the room?
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
spectacular! Cannot wait to go back to Santorini. Are you there for points or pay? (if you were lucky enough to score an award stay)
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
damon88, thank you for your beautiful pictures and positive report. Is this a property where there are many flights of steps necessary to reach the room?
Yes.

Santorini is at the top of cliffs. The island was formed by ancient volcano. Hotels, especially the better ones, are built along the slope going DOWN along the mountain, and "caved" inside the slopes. The steep paths are public, hence you will often see nosy tourists who would walk those paths in order to find spots to take selfies, pretending they were staying at those properties.

If you want views and luxury properties at Oia or other parts of Santorini, you would need to navigate steep steps down the cliff slopes. (that also means if you want to leave your cocooning place to see the "towns" you have to climb back up. There is no way around it.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:11 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Yes- the only major downside- Crazy steps! Steps that are strangely even more difficult to traverse coming down than going up because they tilt downwards.

The difficult steps are the ones from the street down past reception to the main level. The steps on the property from the rooms to the Restaurants, spa, bar etc aren’t so bad.

But the long flight from the street is intense. We felt bad for the porters who carry the heavy luggage up and down all day!
nazca8 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:14 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by CALMSP
spectacular! Cannot wait to go back to Santorini. Are you there for points or pay? (if you were lucky enough to score an award stay)

We used points at Prince de Galles and Grand Bretagne, but knew we wanted a pool at Mystique. The only way to get a pool was to reserve it. I doubt they upgrade to the rooms with pools (Secrecy, Mystery, Holistic)
nazca8 and bhrubin like this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by damon88
Room service breakfast on our private view terrace

Here now and blown away by the beauty at this property and the attentive, friendly staff. Each person we have dealt with from Rafael at reception to Anita who helped us with wines to Vlad who delivers our room service breakfasts to Constatina on the phone has gone out of his/her way to make us feel comfortable and valued. In fact I consider the service here to be on par with the best luxury hotels.
Just finished my stay in late September 2018. Have to agree that Rafael and Dimitria from the reception were amazing. Glad you loved your stay too. We even got upgraded to the newest Holistic Villa for part of our stay. I was also told that the best allure suite is room 23 because its privacy. So do request that room type if you book allure suite

I counted the numbers of steps just for curiosity sake. It is around 50 steps from Oia street level to the reception area (one way). From street level to Holistic Villa, it is less than 20 SHALLOW steps as there’s another entrance to Mystique via the Japanese restaurant ASEA!
nazca8 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold and Current Platinum, Hilton Gold
Stay report from two nights in late September. Marriott Gold. It cannot be overstated how impressive this property is - not because of the physical plant per se (other reviewers are correct in that the furnishings are somewhat simple, and the rooms are somewhat dark due to smaller windows). But the stunning location of the property along with the absolutely exquisite service is what sets it apart. We arrived around 11am and were picked up at the airport in a shared transfer (that we didn't share with anyone). The room wasn't yet ready, but the check in process was seamless and pleasant, where they brought drinks and sat us down to go over details. We had booked a Wet Allure suite and were upgraded to a Mystery Villa, and the room was available a couple hours prior to check-in time, around 1pm. Everything about this hotel - the view, the breakfast, the warm hospitality, the location (still in the heart of Oia but not in the middle of the tourist throngs), is perfect. We paid ~$1,000 per night and it was worth every penny. We had some issues with our ferry on the final day of our departure and the concierge held our hand through all of it, working with the ferry company to rebook us, and even calling us repeatedly throughout the day while we were at the port until they ensured we had successfully departed. I cannot recommend this property enough... it is truly one of the most stunning properties in the entire Marriott portfolio.
nazca8 and bhrubin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.