Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mystique - Santorini, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l380
Print Wikipost

Mystique - Santorini, Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2006, 9:33 am

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but, is there any new News on Mystique? I am probably going to honeymoon in Santorini next October. I am leading toward Kirini or Katikies, but if Mystique is in the same category hotel, I may try it.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 10:19 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by Random987
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but, is there any new News on Mystique? I am probably going to honeymoon in Santorini next October. I am leading toward Kirini or Katikies, but if Mystique is in the same category hotel, I may try it.
I'm not sure if you mean award category or some sort of quality category. If you look up the hotel on spg.com, you'll see that it has been categorized as a Cat 6 in terms of award categories.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
interesting. flyertalk reviews are VERY mixed on this property. when were you there? did you find it too remote? did you miss not having the famed views?
fly co...: you haven't exactly given warm responses to my other FT posts, so I'm sure that partly explains our differences of opinion.

I was there in September about 2 years ago. After flying an ancient Olympic Air plane into Santorini, I welcomed the drink they gave us during check-in. They picked us up at the airport and took us into town when we needed. I did not find it too remote, yes it's not in the main town of Fira, but I like that it was quiet. I liked the roosters waking us up in the morning. I've heard people say that Vedema was in the middle of nowhere, but there in fact were two excellent local, inexpensive tavernas right down the street that were as good the meals we had in Fira for a fraction of the cost. Yes, no views in Megalochori, which I knew ahead of time it would not have so we were not dissapointed. The wine tasting in Vedema's cave was a highlight and so was the spa where they used olive oil! Even though we used points, they somehow gave us breakfast for free, which was nice to have by the pool every morning. During our stay there were several fussy, loud, high-roller types who could not be pleased by anything the staff did; but we were happy and being in Europe, went with the flow, so the staff was very good to us.

(Points took 6 months to post, but were for incidentals so it was not a large amount. The Vedema's random beach via car was dissapointing, but that's what Mykonos is for!)

I stand by my statement that the Vedema is one of the best properties in the Starwood collection (that I've visited). Again, YMMV.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 7:40 am

Programs: AA PLT
Mystique Resort using points...ouch!

I just tried to book the Mystique using points for September 2007...talk about sticker shock! Apparently, it is a "special" Category 6 because it is an all-suite hotel. Basic suite is 50K Starpoints per night. 25K Starpoint rooms don't exist at this hotel -- a bit misleading on the website.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 1:44 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BDevil1
I just tried to book the Mystique using points for September 2007...talk about sticker shock! Apparently, it is a "special" Category 6 because it is an all-suite hotel. Basic suite is 50K Starpoints per night. 25K Starpoint rooms don't exist at this hotel -- a bit misleading on the website.
Not sure how a 30sqm room can possibly be considered a 'suite'.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 6:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by damon88
Good timing for me--

Reports on Vedema are mixed and this sounds interesting:

Overview
Now accepting reservations for arrival on or after May 15, 2007.

Situated on Oia’s famous cliffs, the stylish Mystique features dazzling views of clear blue equatorial waters, the volcano, and the Aegean Caldera. Surrounded by some of the world’s most beautiful scenery, our resort’s island-style design pays homage to nature in a climate of unabashed luxury. Our ideal location is just 18 kilometers from Santorini Airport and 20 kilometers from Athinios Port.

18 suites and villas are spread across more than 2,000 square meters, providing a sensorial experience in surroundings of understated elegance. All accommodations are lovingly handcrafted from wood, local stone, and glass with enticing patterns carved into the walls. Antique textiles and plump, luxurious towels will wrap you in their warmth and comfort.

Spend the day beneath the clear blue sky in our outdoor infinity-edge pool. Slatted wooden decks that lead to the plunge pool are surrounded by sun beds for the utmost relaxation. Gather together for a casual drink or delicious meal at the Aura pool bar, the Charisma gourmet restaurant, or Secret wine cave.

Mystique is a natural, exclusive retreat reserved for only the most discerning of travelers.

It's a category 6.

Honestly, I can't imagine why anybody would want to stay at Vedema. The location is horrible. Sure there is stuff nearby but Santorini is all about the sea and the volcano, and Vedema has views of neither. The beauty of the island is sitting on your porch and looking out into the sea. You can do that anywhere (Oia is best, IMO), and paying premium for a nice hotel in the middle of the island, with no view, is insane to me. Mystique sounds perfect, and the views sound great. But any cliffside hotel in Oia would do fine, 25K Starpoints is a lot unless the hotel is truly amazing and you want to pay for that luxury. I paid ~$150/night, I think, and the hotel had the same view with fewer amenities.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 4:55 pm

Programs: UAL:1K, DL:Plat, CO:Plat, HH:Diamond, SPG:Plat
Originally Posted by BDevil1
I just did the same thing! 40k points per night in low season...ouch! Anyone have any idea if it is worth it? You still get the 5th night free but are the 4 nights worth the 160k points?
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by MoCheex
I just did the same thing! 40k points per night in low season...ouch! Anyone have any idea if it is worth it? You still get the 5th night free but are the 4 nights worth the 160k points?
I am curious to see what this 18 suite resort looks like...but 40K points a night? We're planning on going to Santorini in mid-May and would like to stay at a starwood resort. Rooms here go for approx. $536 usd/per night. Starwood vacation ownership just offered some special deal to us to purchase 80K points for $1600. hmmm 2 nights worth of points for $1600for you special Starwood guests..... Or 2 nights stay to anybody for ~$1100. I think Starwood needs to rethink the point value on this and offer their loyal customers a break!
Old Jan 13, 2007, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by smyle01
I am curious to see what this 18 suite resort looks like...but 40K points a night? We're planning on going to Santorini in mid-May and would like to stay at a starwood resort. Rooms here go for approx. $536 usd/per night. Starwood vacation ownership just offered some special deal to us to purchase 80K points for $1600. hmmm 2 nights worth of points for $1600for you special Starwood guests..... Or 2 nights stay to anybody for ~$1100. I think Starwood needs to rethink the point value on this and offer their loyal customers a break!
I'm thinking you probably were offered an Explorer package for $1600 that includes the 80000 pts AND 4 days at the resort where you attended the presentation?
Old Mar 22, 2007, 12:49 pm

Bump on an old thread.

Has anyone been successful booking the Taste of Luxury package at this project? (Buy 3, 4th night free). If I can book this package I will stay there in October. But if not, I will probably stay at Kirini.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Random987
Bump on an old thread.

Has anyone been successful booking the Taste of Luxury package at this project? (Buy 3, 4th night free). If I can book this package I will stay there in October. But if not, I will probably stay at Kirini.
I tried to use in May and was successful however my stay is ending in June so they would not honor the promotion. Should I fight for the promotion???
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:43 pm

Does anyone have a contact at the Mystique? I am trying to coordinate with someone about my upcoming honeymoon stay but cannot find any information...I would imagine there are people there now for the pre-open. Thanks - Mo
Old Apr 11, 2007, 1:20 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by MoCheex
Does anyone have a contact at the Mystique? I am trying to coordinate with someone about my upcoming honeymoon stay but cannot find any information...I would imagine there are people there now for the pre-open. Thanks - Mo
Call the folks at The Luxury Collection and see if they are able to assist. 800-325-3589.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old May 20, 2007, 7:44 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
stupid question, but can you use a spg50 here?
Old May 21, 2007, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT TIT
When I booked my stay for this June, I asked them about use of SPG50 and was told that they do not participate in that promotion. To answer an earlier question about contacting someone on site. They have an email address listed on their website. The reservation agent responded to my email within 48 hours and was very helpful. I was able to confirm with them that the resort is open for business as of May 15th. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.