Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[LEAVING, 5 Jan 21] The Westin Grand, Vancouver [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[LEAVING, 5 Jan 21] The Westin Grand, Vancouver [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2006, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Arrow [LEAVING, 5 Jan 21] The Westin Grand, Vancouver [Master Thread]

i currently have a stay for a couple nights at the Hampton Inn & Suites Vancouver Downtown BC reserved for end of October, but was wondering if i could get a quick idea of the Westin Grand Vancouver.
how is it?
if you've stayed both how is the comparison? i am currently Gold Preferred with *Wood and will make HHonors Gold after this weekend.
is the Westin in an overall good location?

thanks.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Location is not really bad, it is indeed to my recollection in walking distance from the Hampton and Gas Town. I stayed there as a Platinum in June and had some discussions on the kind of upgrade (Indeed I got suite I booked but nothing upgraded), no lounge, no free breakfast, good licensed store inhouse, some shops and restaurants close to the hotel.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Nice hotel, but they have just two elevators for what is a very large building. I regularly waited 10 minutes for an elevator.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by ashcroftj1

thanks.
Location wise, the Hampton is almost right next to the Westin. About 300 meters away, I'd say.

I've stayed at the Westin Grand and liked it, but what's important to you? Because Hampton Suites tend to cater to different travelers than Westin. If you need roomy accomodation and free breakfast, go for the Hampton. If you like posh bathroom and superior service, I would choose the Westin.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 1:21 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Westin Grand is a suite-only hotel so the worst room you might get will probably be a lot bigger/better, and definitely more luxurious, than the average Hampton room.

I've stayed at all the main YVR properties: Westin Bayshore, Westin Grand and Sheraton Wall Centre.

IMO,
-SWC is best if you are Plat and want lounge access for free brekkie and evening snacks. High probability of suite upgrade too. Good location.

-WBay is best for families, near harbour, good views. Slightly poor location for downtown shopping etc.

-WGrand: best location IMO. Short walk to Robson st, shopping, bars, Bay/Sears etc. Classiest rooms of the three properties. Food more expensive than the other two, but much better quality. Prob the best hotel for a Gold, as it is an all-suite property!
Old Sep 13, 2006, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Westin Grand is a suite-only hotel so the worst room you might get will probably be a lot bigger/better, and definitely more luxurious, than the average Hampton room.

I've stayed at all the main YVR properties: Westin Bayshore, Westin Grand and Sheraton Wall Centre.

IMO,
-SWC is best if you are Plat and want lounge access for free brekkie and evening snacks. High probability of suite upgrade too. Good location.

-WBay is best for families, near harbour, good views. Slightly poor location for downtown shopping etc.

-WGrand: best location IMO. Short walk to Robson st, shopping, bars, Bay/Sears etc. Classiest rooms of the three properties. Food more expensive than the other two, but much better quality. Prob the best hotel for a Gold, as it is an all-suite property!

THANKS all!! all of this info def helps.. wife and i are going out there to vancouver and seattle for our anniversary and just trying to find i guess the most *memorable* location.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 2:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
i currently have a stay for a couple nights at the Hampton Inn & Suites Vancouver Downtown BC reserved for end of October, but was wondering if i could get a quick idea of the Westin Grand Vancouver.
how is it?
if you've stayed both how is the comparison? i am currently Gold Preferred with *Wood and will make HHonors Gold after this weekend.

thanks.

You might find this recent thread informative:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=474512
Old Sep 13, 2006, 11:31 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
how is it?

thanks.
We found the WGV to be in an excellent location as far as downtown, Gas Town, Yale Town, Granville Island etc. Also, being a suite hotel, and if it interests you, it works extremely well for families or singles as there is a grocery store within 1-2 blocks away so meals can be prepared in the room. Suites are furnished quite nicely and, depending on the room type, are quite large by comparison to most hotels. My only complaint would be the outdoor pool which is pretty cool in the fall... We never rented a car and made our way around quite easily with the monorail to various parts of the city.

Have a great time !
Old Sep 14, 2006, 1:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Westin Grand is in a terrific, central location as everyone has noted. Although relatively small for a suite, their rooms are very adequate and modern with a large, marble(?) bathroom with sep shower. Fitness room was large, clean and modern with an outdoor pool area. The thing I recall most from my early 5/06 visit was the outstanding, friendly service. Also, at the time, I was only an SPG Amex holder, and they still upgraded me to a higher room on an SPG floor (29).

I had a room facing NW which overlooked the downtown skyline towards Stanley Park and the nearby mountains, but immediately below was construction across the street. Next time, I think I'd request a room facing SE so I could overlook the impressive, neo-roman Vancouver Library, or a room facing NE to stare out towards the water, North Vancouver and mountains.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Sheraton Wall Centre

As A gold I got a upgrade to a room no paper without a call downstairs the hotel has a great location thats it....

Weston Bayshore is run down... dont stay there...... this is not a city for SPG hotels.. try another chain.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
IMHO, WGV is one of the better Westin properties as their rooms are great and there are a variety of different suite shapes going around the tower. Would highly recommend.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 9:46 pm

Programs: HH Gold, IC Platinum, SPG Gold
The Westin Grand, Vancouver

Re: The Westin Grand, Vancouver

- What floors are the SPG rooms located on?

- Any recent Gold upgrade success at this hotel?

- Is breakfast made available to SPG members at this location?

--> I am torn between the Westin and the Sheraton Wall Centre, but other threads here discussing the two seem to think the Westin is a better location and a better place for possible Gold Upgrades. Thoughts?
Old Sep 28, 2007, 5:15 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Free Breakfast: No. And there is no lounge at the Westin Grand either.

(Sheraton WC does have a lounge with breakfast for Plats atleast.)

All things considered, the Westin is still a much nicer, more modern hotel than the Sheraton.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:53 am

Programs: HH Gold, IC Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Free Breakfast: No. And there is no lounge at the Westin Grand either.

(Sheraton WC does have a lounge with breakfast for Plats atleast.)

All things considered, the Westin is still a much nicer, more modern hotel than the Sheraton.
Thank you.

So as Gold, what rooms should I be asking for at the Westin Grand Vancouver? What have other Golds been successful in getting as far as upgrades?

My one-night stay will be a Points Stay if that is relevant. TIA.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 1:50 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
With almost all rooms being suites, there are not too many bad rooms! We were lucky enough to get the top floor and it was lovely and ultra-comfortable. We loved the location.

Lots of great restaurants too. Get a sightseeing bus pass for two days and you'll get to see everything. And block a lot of time to see the aquarium - spectacular.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.