FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Sheraton and San Cristobal Tower, Santiago, Chile [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/600437-sheraton-san-cristobal-tower-santiago-chile-master-thread.html)

UK Flyer 1 Feb 3, 2005 4:09 pm

Sheraton and San Cristobal Tower, Santiago, Chile [Master Thread]

Enjoyed their hospitality middle of January '05. the hotels are very busy with cruise groups all over. Reasonable pool, snack food very average. My main story was that I checked into the Towers very late. Got a great rate but a low floor level - fair enough. Had just hunkered down and the air fan / conditioner started up, so bad I couldn't sleep. The concierge helped move me quick enough and the manager kindly provided a bottle two nights later. Sadly I was flying out the next night and couldn't do it justice! A great gesture none the less.

rani Feb 5, 2005 6:37 am

We stayed over New Years and were upgraded to a huge suite - the furniture was dated but the size of the suite was awesome.

Our only problem with the hotel was the concierge Marco - he sent us to an absolutely awful restaurant for lunch that was both bad and expensive. We asked them to try and find us a car, and he lied and told the other bellman/concierge that he had called us with a car - when in fact he hadn't - we were in the room the whole time and unless the phones weren't working, there was no way we wouldn't have heard it.

The gym wasn't bad - when it opened....

DukeFlyer Feb 7, 2005 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by rani
Our only problem with the hotel was the concierge Marco - he sent us to an absolutely awful restaurant for lunch that was both bad and expensive.

I find it pretty funny that you say that. I stayed at the Towers last August on a Cash & Points rate and got upgraded to an amazing suite. It would have been the perfect stay had it not been for Marco. He attempted to rip us off on every possible occassion. Do NOT go to any restaurant that he recommends because he only sends guests to places with kickbacks. We actually befriended one of the taxi drivers who the Sheraton concierge arranged for us and he told us some of the "dirt" on Marco. All in all, I would reommend the Towers. My suite was one of, if not the, nicest room I have stayed in.

rani Feb 8, 2005 8:03 am

Thanks for confirming our suspicions - we hate to feel paranoid.

dabbagmm Apr 7, 2005 4:03 pm

San Cristobal Tower, Santiago, Chile

I will be visiting Santiago for four days and I'm booked at San Cristobal Tower. Any feedback on this? How do they treat Platinums? Thanks.

ajnaro Apr 7, 2005 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by dabbagmm
I will be visiting Santiago for four days and I'm booked at San Cristobal Tower. Any feedback on this? How do they treat Platinums? Thanks.

I am writing this from San Cristóbal Tower! First, in my experience the San Cristóbal treats Platinum SPG members very well. In the past five years or so, I have received suite upgrades on every visit. And the suites are really magnificent, with two huge completely separate rooms. Although the hotel’s location is not very convenient for people who like to walk, two new bridges have just been built over the Mapocho River, putting the hotel within a 10-15 minute walk to shops, restaurants, etc, in a near-by neighborhood called Providencia. Also, taxis are very cheap if you avoid the so-called taxis peddled by the hotel and take ordinary metered taxis. Two or three of these are normally waiting at the foot of the small hill at the Sheraton entrance. If you want a good location, right in Providencia, try the Four Points.

Eastbay1K Apr 7, 2005 7:50 pm

I love that hotel - I have stayed maybe 5 times with a few more on the Sheraton side. Definitely stay in the Tower. It is a really fine hotel - better than all but the most elegant hotels in Europe. Agreed that the new bridge makes things a lot more convenient. The concierge on the Sheraton side are very good - Ivan and the female (I can't recall her name now - she'll hit me if she finds out!)

dabbagmm Apr 7, 2005 11:57 pm

Thanks

Thank you both for the tip. I will be staying at the San Cristobal Tower although the 4Points is a bit tempting location-wise.

Would appreciate any tips on dining, sightseeing, etc around Santiago.

rserson Apr 8, 2005 12:01 pm

Wonderful Hotel !!!
I think Santiago is the best capital in Latin America: excellent food/restaurants/wine, nice people, near the mountains (ski!!) and near the Pacific (although the beachs are not as good and the water sometimes very cold). The only negative point is the polution.
Restaurants : Astrid y Gaston (one of the best in Latin America - best wine list!), Agua, Europeo, Hereford (meat). Chile is famous for the seafood, but a very traditional restaurante (Coco Loco) wasn't OK for us last time, check with the Concierge.
In terms of sightseeing, try to rent a own car or a driver and visit the urban Santiago area (Las Condes, La Dehesa and many other interesting neighborhood). If you have more time, visit Viña del Mar and Valparaiso (1 hour by car). Of course if you have (I suppose not) much more time, visit the south of Chile !!
Enjoy !!!

MIKESILV Apr 8, 2005 12:49 pm

I agree with all posted here before I thought the service at the San Cristabal was the best I ever had in any SPG property worldwide and also would also highly recommend the restuarant Astrid y Gaston.

Also make sure to visit the Los Dominos for anything such as artwork, pottery and nice inexpensive handmade souvenirs. The guy who makes the muticolored carvings on single matchsticks is alone worth the visit there.

mike

loquillo Apr 8, 2005 1:52 pm

I have stayed three times at the SC Tower, and was upgraded to a suite twice. The suite was magnificent. The standard room was very, very nice as weel.

In addition to the suite, each night I recived a three tier tray of fresh fruit, pistachios, almonds, and chocolates. On occassion, I received the visit of a butler offering services, and I also received some free ironing (2 garments).

This is my favorite Starwood hotel in South America.

I like walking, so a 15-25 minute walk to the restaurant of my choice does not bother me. If accompanied, especially with children, it may be a bit far, but taxis are not expensive (rental cars are).

I found the food at the restaurants to be very, very good, even for not so hip places.

In short, everything about my stay in Santiago greatly exceeded my expectations.

DukeFlyer Apr 8, 2005 3:33 pm

I stayed on a cash and points reservation a few months ago and was also upgraded to the magnificent two room suite. It was one of the nicest rooms I had ever stayed in.

If you need any help from the concierge, I would recommend walking to the Sheraton side of the building (they are connected) and speak to the concierge there. The San Cristobal concierge ripped us off at every possible occasion. Ther was one individual in particular that almost single handedly ruined our trip. The Sheraton side was extremely helpful on the other hand and all their prices were very competitive. Enjoy your trip.

MIKESILV Apr 8, 2005 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by DukeFlyer
I stayed on a cash and points reservation a few months ago and was also upgraded to the magnificent two room suite. It was one of the nicest rooms I had ever stayed in.

If you need any help from the concierge, I would recommend walking to the Sheraton side of the building (they are connected) and speak to the concierge there. The San Cristobal concierge ripped us off at every possible occasion. Ther was one individual in particular that almost single handedly ruined our trip. The Sheraton side was extremely helpful on the other hand and all their prices were very competitive. Enjoy your trip.

I have very high praise for both the concierges after two stays at the San Cristobal.
How could a concierge rip you off? Did you buy something from him?
mike

DukeFlyer Apr 8, 2005 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
I have very high praise for both the concierges after two stays at the San Cristobal.
How could a concierge rip you off? Did you buy something from him?
mike

One example was that we had the concierge arrange for a van and a driver for us for the day. The driver ended up being very friendly and during the course of the day, told us how much of our price he received versus how much the San Cristobal charged us. That wasn't so shocking, but then he told us that if we had booked through the Sheraton, we would have saved some money. I checked with the Sheraton Concierge that night, and he was correct. They could have gotten us the exact same ride for much less. We ended up just getting the driver's cell # and used him on various other occassions on our trip bypassing the hotel's fees.

On another occassion, we tried to book a ski package through the San Cristobal conierge. We had already learned our lesson from the previous day so after being quoted a price, we checked with the Sheraton and again the price difference was fairly substantial.

On yet another occassion, we asked for a recommendation for a casual restaurant within walking distance. The place recommended to us was extremely expensive and empty (not a good sign for a weekend night) so we ended up going to a place nearby. We struck up a conversation with the bartender there and he told us about how the particular individual at our concierge receives personal kickbacks from the restaurant next door. He even guessed the guy's name that sent us there.

But again, the hotel is a great property and I would definitely recommend it to anyone. I would just be wary of dealings with the concierge.

ThWilmesi Apr 8, 2005 11:18 pm

I stayed there about a year ago and they treated me very well as a platinum. They upgraded me to a huge suite. It was a bedroom with a very nice separate dining/lving room... they treat the plats really well.

ajnaro Apr 10, 2005 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by loquillo
In addition to the suite, each night I recived a three tier tray of fresh fruit, pistachios, almonds, and chocolates. On occassion, I received the visit of a butler offering services, and I also received some free ironing (2 garments).

I just finished a three night stay in the San Cristobal (and will soon be going back for another four). I never saw a butler and the three-tier tray metioned above was not changed or refreshed during my entire stay. The suite, however, was magnificent.

Eastbay1K Apr 10, 2005 9:49 pm

I'd say a butler visiting is about 50%, but if you call, you'll get a butler. The fruit/chocolate plate is usually not replenished, although my stays range from 1 to 3 days, max.

JY4D May 23, 2005 8:33 pm

San Cristobal Questions

I'm scheduled to stay at the San Cristobal Tower in June and July as a SPG Gold. I was wondering if they treat their Golds as nice as their Plats with upgrades and such?

Also, does this hotel have a lounge? I've noticed that the Sheraton that is connected has an executive lounge with breakfast, etc... but I haven't been able to find out about the San Cristobal Tower. Which guests enjoy access to the lounge? I'm really not that familiar with SPG policies on lounge access for their elite members.

One last question... Should I call the hotel and arrange for them to pick me up from the airport or should I be able to find a cab at the airport? Whats a reasonable fare so I know I'm not getting ripped off?

Thanks,
JY4D

Eastbay1K May 23, 2005 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by JY4D

One last question... Should I call the hotel and arrange for them to pick me up from the airport or should I be able to find a cab at the airport? Whats a reasonable fare so I know I'm not getting ripped off?

Thanks,
JY4D

You won't get ripped off at the airport. Just hire a Transvip or Tur van in the baggage claim area (there are 3 booths next to each other). Transvip may be about $1 less. Ask for a private van - it will be about US$20 or less - I don't know if they raised the prices since the toll highway recently opened - it will make your trip to the hotel quite quick. Don't fear taxis in Santiago.

dabbagmm May 24, 2005 12:22 am

I was wondering if they treat their Golds as nice as their Plats with upgrades and such?

Also, does this hotel have a lounge?

I be able to find a cab at the airport?

Thanks,
JY4D

Ok.. I guess I can answer some of your questions here...

1) Upgrade is almost given for Platinums. Sorry I have no idea about Golds. I've been to other rooms and they are equally good but not as spacious as a suite.

2) The Cristobal doesn't have a lounge where guests can have freebies. They have one at a top floor (22nd?) and breakfast is served there but it's not complementary which is a shame. I would have expected a sheraton lounge to be a standard thing.. like all tower lounges all over the world, but this one is different. I was disappointed.

3) Don't book though the hotel as you will be over-charged for nothing extra. You can take a cab from the hotel (which is safe and clean) or take a shuttle which is at a fraction of the cost but you have to wait till it get filled up. I took a shuttle and would do that again.

Note: Concierge at Cristobal is not as reliable and helpful as the one at the Sheraton.

ajnaro May 24, 2005 2:21 pm

Also, does this hotel have a lounge? I've noticed that the Sheraton that is connected has an executive lounge with breakfast, etc... but I haven't been able to find out about the San Cristobal Tower. Which guests enjoy access to the lounge? I'm really not that familiar with SPG policies on lounge access for their elite members.

The San Cristóbal has a lounge that serves a buffet breakfast, but nothing is complimentary aside from simple coffee.

JY4D May 24, 2005 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by dabbagmm
Ok.. I guess I can answer some of your questions here...
2) The Cristobal doesn't have a lounge where guests can have freebies. They have one at a top floor (22nd?) and breakfast is served there but it's not complementary which is a shame. I would have expected a sheraton lounge to be a standard thing.. like all tower lounges all over the world, but this one is different. I was disappointed.

Thats too bad that its not free, but is the top floor lounge open to all guests? I've noticed some rates (the double bed ones) mention lounge access where as the king bed rates never mention it. Also, is the breakfast there good?

I'll only be in Santiago for a night since I'm heading to Valapariso the next day. I'll also be by myself for that night as the rest of my party is flying in the next day, so if anyone has any recommendations on where to grab something to eat, that would be helpful as well.

ajnaro May 24, 2005 4:13 pm

Thats too bad that its not free, but is the top floor lounge open to all guests? I've noticed some rates (the double bed ones) mention lounge access where as the king bed rates never mention it. Also, is the breakfast there good?

I'll only be in Santiago for a night since I'm heading to Valapariso the next day. I'll also be by myself for that night as the rest of my party is flying in the next day, so if anyone has any recommendations on where to grab something to eat, that would be helpful as well.

The buffet breakfast is just the usual stuff -- nothing special. The presentation is quite elegant.

I don't know exactly what you mean by 'grab something to eat'. If you're looking for something simple, there are lots of places in Providencia, near to the hotel on the other side of the river. One is called Lomit's (specialized in sandwiches and bar food), and another is an all-you can eat buffet called Gatsby's. For something good, try Aqui Está Coco, just across the bridge on Calle Concepción. Stay clear of Mare Nostrum, on the same street.

Eastbay1K May 24, 2005 4:58 pm

The buffet breakfast is just the usual stuff -- nothing special. The presentation is quite elegant.
It is a slight "cut above", as they usually have a nice plate of excellent smoked salmon, and make eggs and pancakes to order with your buffet. If it isn't included in my room rate, I don't eat up there.

I don't know exactly what you mean by 'grab something to eat'. If you're looking for something simple, there are lots of places in Providencia, near to the hotel on the other side of the river. One is called Lomit's (specialized in sandwiches and bar food)
, and another is an all-you can eat buffet called Gatsby's. For something good, try Aqui Está Coco, just across the bridge on Calle Concepción. Stay clear of Mare Nostrum, on the same street.[/QUOTE]

Lomit's - mmmmm - you know, my mouth is watering for a lomito tomate-palta right now, with lots of aji. It is a great place for an inexpensive (not buffet) meal - cooked to order, and a good place if you are eating alone.

ajnaro May 24, 2005 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

Lomit's - mmmmm - you know, my mouth is watering for a lomito tomate-palta right now, with lots of aji. It is a great place for an inexpensive (not buffet) meal - cooked to order, and a good place if you are eating alone.

Agreed! It's also a great place to go with friends and have a few beers. I even know a few of the waiters there -- Juan, and a man who looks just like Mr. Granger on the old BBC series "Are You Being Served".

Eastbay1K May 24, 2005 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by ajnaro
Agreed! It's also a great place to go with friends and have a few beers. I even know a few of the waiters there -- Juan, and a man who looks just like Mr. Granger on the old BBC series "Are You Being Served".

Funny you mention that (as we are soooooooo off topic) - I always see that old guy bumbling about and all I can think (and no offense to him if I'm wrong) is that he is a former nazi who escaped to South America 50 years ago and is bumbling about, incognito, bringing "a lo pobre" to the table. Also, about that restaurant, from the outside, it seems like it would be a more "formal" place, but it isn't, not at all.

DFWILE Jul 8, 2005 9:28 am

Does the San Cristobal have non-smoking rooms? Every time I search for them, it gives me the "your smoking preference is unavailable" message. I can find them on the Sheraton side, but not San Cristobal.

Thanks.

Eastbay1K Jul 8, 2005 9:39 am

Originally Posted by DFWILE
Does the San Cristobal have non-smoking rooms? Every time I search for them, it gives me the "your smoking preference is unavailable" message. I can find them on the Sheraton side, but not San Cristobal.

Thanks.

I have stayed there several times. I recall that there have been ashtrays in the room, but I don't ever recall the faintest clue of smoke.

Eastbay1K Aug 1, 2005 8:56 pm

Just stayed there again. It was yet another outstanding stay. It is almost unnerving that in a place I stay maybe once to twice a year, and never prior to 2001 (on both the Sheraton and Tower sides), that as I come and go, the tower doorman will say "buenas tardes, Mr. X", etc. and several of the staff know me by name. (I do recommend using the Sheraton-side concierge, although I've never used the Tower ones).

The only thing wrong with my last stay was that it was only for 2 nights.

MIKESILV Aug 2, 2005 6:38 am

Just stayed there again. It was yet another outstanding stay. It is almost unnerving that in a place I stay maybe once to twice a year, and never prior to 2001 (on both the Sheraton and Tower sides), that as I come and go, the tower doorman will say "buenas tardes, Mr. X", etc. and several of the staff know me by name. (I do recommend using the Sheraton-side concierge, although I've never used the Tower ones).

The only thing wrong with my last stay was that it was only for 2 nights.

I had two stays there of three days each with a two day break at I too found it amazing just that everybody remembered my name like you said by just about the end of the first day. I stayed in the Towers and have only ggod things to say about the two concierges there.

mike

SkyTeam777 Feb 9, 2006 12:39 pm

The accommodations look nice, but slightly dated. Is that still the case? Any new changes for Platinum members staying here? Such as free breakfast? If not, is it an expensive breakfast in the restaurant? How far by cab to the main sights...Besides the Four Points, any other luxurious hotels located closer to the city center (from any chain)?

Eastbay1K Feb 9, 2006 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
The accommodations look nice, but slightly dated. Is that still the case? Any new changes for Platinum members staying here? Such as free breakfast? If not, is it an expensive breakfast in the restaurant? How far by cab to the main sights...Besides the Four Points, any other luxurious hotels located closer to the city center (from any chain)?

The accomodations aren't dated. There are several rates that include breakfast - otherwise tower lounge breakfast (which is very decent) is I recall, about CL$12.000, which is a lot now given the pathetic US$. Cab (standard) is not very expensive to the City Center (La Moneda, Mercado Central). The Crowne Plaza is the only "Chain" hotel that I'm aware of between Providencia and Centro. There is a historic nice hotel right in the city center, but I don't recall the name.

USAFAN Feb 10, 2006 6:53 am

I second Eastbay1K's comments.
I was there 6 days end of Jan. 2006. We had a very nice, clean room (not dated!) with a great view to the Andes. The service is perfect.
For me, the location was very good. We walked often to the Metro .. about 5 min., took the Metro to the city center and back with a taxi, which was not expensive.
Most other nice hotels are even further away from the city center.
We had a Budget rent-a-car for some days. Budget is in the hotel an parking is free. You don't need a car in Santiago, we used it to go to Isla Negra, Valparaiso, Vina del Mar, Con Con, Maipo Canyon and other places.

ajacpril Feb 10, 2006 9:04 am

...the female (I can't recall her name now - she'll hit me if she finds out!)

Presumably there's more here than meets the eye.

SkyTeam777 Feb 14, 2006 11:24 am

Do the Sheraton rooms look like basic US Sheraton rooms? how are the Suites on the Sheraton side? Im leaning towards that property since it has a lounge with breakfast and evening snacks. Im hoping they also treat Platinums there as well.

Eastbay1K Feb 14, 2006 1:06 pm

Do the Sheraton rooms look like basic US Sheraton rooms? how are the Suites on the Sheraton side? Im leaning towards that property since it has a lounge with breakfast and evening snacks. Im hoping they also treat Platinums there as well.

The Sheraton rooms are fine, nothing special, but fine. The suites aren't bad at all - I've had Sheraton-side suites maybe 3 or 4 times and was perfectly satisfied.

SkyTeam777 Feb 17, 2006 4:39 pm

Anyone know what the Executive rooms are like at the Sheraton in Santiago? Apparently, Ive been upgraded to one (but was hoping for an upgrade to a suite).

ustravelagent May 2, 2006 2:14 pm

NEW "W" Hotel (Santiago)

W Hotels announced plans for its first project in South America. W Santiago Hotel is slated to open in 2008 on Avenida Isidoro Goyenechea, across from Plaza Peru. The 205-room hotel will be part of a mixed-use building with a signature restaurant, Bliss Spa and more than 37,000 square feet of meeting space. Starwood currently operates four hotels in Chile: the Sheraton Santiago Hotel & Convention Center, The San Cristobal Tower (part of the Luxury Collection), the Four Points by Sheraton Santiago and the new Sheraton Miramar & Convention Center in Vina del Mar. (ES) :D

couscous May 2, 2006 7:29 pm

exciting news ^

Eastbay1K May 2, 2006 9:06 pm

Wow. Wow. Wow. If I didn't love the San Cristobal Tower so much, I'd almost be there. My only issue with it is the location. Great, but not great location. Starbucks, Ruby Tuesday, Hooters, and a number of similar right on the block. On the other hand, one of South America's finest wine shops :).