Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton and San Cristobal Tower, Santiago, Chile [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton and San Cristobal Tower, Santiago, Chile [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2011, 6:04 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
No suite upgrade for this plat at San Cristobal

No suite upgrade for this "newly minted" plat at check in at San Cristobal Tower, Santiago because of status mix-up

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just checked in for a 5-night stay at San Cristobal Tower. When I made my booking, I was a Gold, and the checkin desk insisted that I am a Gold. She had to wait until 8am to call somebody to confirm that I am now a Platinum.

Was told that all suites are sold out. But when I check spg.com, I can make a fresh booking for a suite. Who should I contact about this failure?

Checkin desk does confirm that both Gold and Plat members get free breakfast at the 21st floor lounge.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: Based on justspg's suggestion, I called Plat Conciege who confirmed that she can see a fresh booking for a suite. She called hotel direct and got a promise: "the hotel will work with you and you need to contact the front desk the next day to see whether there is any suite available." The next day in the afternoon, I went to the front desk and after a little bit of wait, a suite was made available.

I appreciate the suite now that I have it. It's huge. The standard room is 45 m2 and the suite is 90m2.
I still attribute the initial failure to that stauts mixup: my Gold status was showing in the hotel's system.

After I forwarded my detailed info to Starwood Lurker about the status mix-up at check-in, I got a call from the hotel manager apologizing for the mix-up and then she also sent a token of appreciation.

Last edited by geclub1; Mar 30, 2011 at 1:16 pm Reason: Update
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:26 pm

Programs: Skymiles, AMEX, Bonvoy, IHG Plat, Alaska MVP 100K
Just got back from Santiago a few weeks ago and stayed here 2 nights on my trip. I have to admit I was disappointed with the hotel based on the category rating. The toilet didn't work properly and we called to have it fixed, basically we were told it was fine. Apparently you have to flush several times to get the water to completely clean out.

The temperature in the shower was incredibly hard to control, the water went from cold to scalding hot. I did not care for the food at the restaurant completely over salted and over done masking the great Chilean seafood. The free internet is only free for 30 min, service was a 3/5. Spotty English (fortunately I speak enough Spanish)

Left the room for the day and came back around 6pm, the room had not been serviced.

I packed up and spent the rest of my time at the W in Las Condes, worth every penny.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 7:09 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Question

I'm a bit confused given this thread talks about both the Sheraton and the Towers hotel...

I'm considering stayng at the Sheraton over a weekend. Their website says they have a lounge. Does somebody know if it is open for breakfast on Sundays, or if breakfast elsewhere is offered to Plats? (If not, would I be better off at the Four Points in Providencia?) Thanks.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 9:16 am

I am staying at the Sheraton right now (and was at the Four Points earlier). The lounge is currently closed (renovations?) and they've opened the San Cristobal lounge to club guests staying at the Sheraton.

I don't believe breakfast is offered to plats as a standard (neither at the Sheraton or the Four Points) but may be as a front desk discretion.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 1:34 pm

illico, many thanks for the very timely feedback. Based on your overall impression, would you rather stay at the Sheraton or the Four Points? The rates I'm looking at are $5 apart...
Old Jun 5, 2011, 2:16 pm

I liked them both. That said, I was upgraded to suites at both so I was very comfortable.

The Four Points is smaller but much closer to Av. Providencia. Very clean and cozy. There is a restaurant onsite but also many restaurants right nearby. supermarket, shops...

The Sheraton is larger and has the lounge. It is more classic but well kept being a conference center. Very large lobby area with bar and restaurant. Beware the cabbies in the black cars (as opposed to the black and yellow cabs). There are associated with the hotel but charge way more IMO.

I would stay at the Four Points being closer to the metro (Las Leones station), Av. Providencia, Av. 11 de septiembre... That is not to say the Sheraton is far away but you will have to cross Av. Santa Maria and the aqueduct. It's just a little longer.

I hope that helps.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 8:21 pm

Great advice, much appreciated. Muchas gracias!
Old Jun 8, 2011, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA-GS - MM, Hilton-Diamond,SPG-Gold,National-Ex. Elite, Hyatt -Plat.
Originally Posted by illico
I am staying at the Sheraton right now (and was at the Four Points earlier). The lounge is currently closed (renovations?) and they've opened the San Cristobal lounge to club guests staying at the Sheraton.

I don't believe breakfast is offered to plats as a standard (neither at the Sheraton or the Four Points) but may be as a front desk discretion.
The hotel had some major damage after the 2010 earthquake. The lobby and bar area was closed for months, now reopened and they are working on renovating the exec floors.

I'm a gold and have always got access to the club floor lunge for breakfast. Was there in May and lounge was closed, they gave me free breakfast buffet in main restaurant. The tower breakfast lounge is stunning.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by delmargal
Just got back from Santiago a few weeks ago and stayed here 2 nights on my trip. I have to admit I was disappointed with the hotel based on the category rating.
As someone who used to have higher status with SPG, once I moved to Santiago the Sheraton was the best place for "mattress runs" to keep status in my new home town, especially as it's right across from my office and my company holds a lot of meetings there - usually stay the night before an event so the commute is nice and short! Unfortunately, in the last year it really seems to have gone somewhat downhill, regardless of the earthquake.

It is a very nice hotel with (usually) clean, standard rooms and good service. I speak Spanish so I've never had to find out first-hand how their English is, and the people at reception have consistently been professional, friendly and helpful. The morning breakfast buffet is nice, especially in the summer (Dec-Feb) and the pool area is a great escape for this Centro-dweller.

My last stay (which was a few months ago, but I can't get it out of my mind) included getting fleas. When I reported it, I was offered a suite for the day, which didn't make much sense as I had to go to work. Not very useful compensation, though they made the appropriate noises about the fleas and sent me with the Housekeeping Manager to investigate and confirm my report.

Attention in the small restaurant has become very "aloof" - during a meal there in one of my last stays I felt very uncomfortable and unwanted, so I haven't been back.

And to top it all off, I frequently like to meet clients or friends in the bar for drinks after work, especially if the clients are staying there. About a year ago I was walking over the bridge to get to the hotel for drinks with a client and was mugged. When I got to the hotel I went directly to the concierge, explained what had happened and asked to use a phone. His first question was, "Room number?" It took getting my client involved in order to use a phone to call the police and the phone company to advise them of the robbery. Very Chilean, but not very Sheraton.

I'm excited that the W has opened, as it, too, is in a good location for my random one-nighters, and the service I have received at the restaurants and bars has been excellent. The Sheraton seems to have become the Starwood step-child in Santiago.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:43 am

connecting rooms

Does the Sheraton Santiago offer connecting rooms? Thanks.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 6:27 am

upcoming stay

hi, i am planning on staying for one night this week on points. i am trying to decide where to stay. i want to be in area walkable to sites so W is out.
i am basically choosing sheraton vs san cristobol towers vs four points. the san cristobol is cat 4, the others are cat 3. while i like to save points, 3k isnt much of a difference if it is worth it to stay in the towers. i am a plat member also.

so my questions are:
1-upgrade likelihood at all properteis?
2-which properties will give me breakfasts a plat?
3-lounge at the property? anything there in the evening?
4-any other reasons to favor one over the other?

thanks
r
Old Dec 8, 2011, 2:39 pm

San Cristobal was excellent!

We recently returned from Santiago. We stayed at the W and the San Cristobal Tower, and my son had one night at the Sheraton. The Sheraton had a nice club lounge for breakfast. Both my son and I received beautiful suites as Platinum upgrades at the San Cristobal, and we were given complimentary breakfasts in the regular restaurant. Of the three nights that we stayed at the W we only had a suite for one night, as they said that there was no availability for the other nights. The W suite was quite impressive, with a large balcony and an open bathroom (with a tub in the middle of it) that created a very large space. But we preferred the more traditional decor and furnishings of the San Cristobal. Perhaps it is an age thing (I have always assumed that Ws are aimed at 20-somethings). As for location, there are some things that can be said in favor of the W, such as many local restaurants, while the San Cristobal/Sheraton are closer to the center but have nothing in the immediate area. The staff at the San Cristobal are very good, and they provide drinks and snacks while checking in or checking out!
Old May 13, 2012, 7:12 am

San Cristobal or Sheraton?

I'm attending a conference taking place at the Sheraton. I'm pretty sure these two hotels are attached!

Cash rates are about $50 less at the Sheraton.

C&P rates are half at the Sheraton (2800+$45 vs 4800+$90)! So I might do that but is there a significant difference between the Sheraton and the San Cristobal?

Mainly interested in the lounge offerings for breakfast and evening.

How is the new Platinum breakfast amenity at both locations?

Some FTers have received breakfast - is this in a lower lobby restaurant or in the upstairs Tower at the San Cristobal?

Thanks!

OBT
Old May 13, 2012, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by onebagtraveller
I'm attending a conference taking place at the Sheraton. I'm pretty sure these two hotels are attached!

Cash rates are about $50 less at the Sheraton.

C&P rates are half at the Sheraton (2800+$45 vs 4800+$90)! So I might do that but is there a significant difference between the Sheraton and the San Cristobal?

Mainly interested in the lounge offerings for breakfast and evening.

How is the new Platinum breakfast amenity at both locations?

Some FTers have received breakfast - is this in a lower lobby restaurant or in the upstairs Tower at the San Cristobal?

Thanks!

OBT
There is a significant difference between the two hotels. One is a luxury hotel. One has become fairly "standard Sheraton." I'm thinking it has been 7 or 8 years since I've stayed on the Sheraton side.

Two of my last three San Cristobal stays have had the Tower lounge closed for renovations. The substitute breakfast in the main restaurant has been pretty much the same buffet selection with certain hot options cooked to order (i.e., omelet, panqueques). I can't speak for the new breakfast amenity.
Old May 13, 2012, 1:03 pm

Thanks!

Just wanted to make sure it was worth doing the extra outlay for C&P. Also noticed the diff in category rating between the hotels too after I posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.