Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton and San Cristobal Tower, Santiago, Chile [Master Thread]

Sheraton and San Cristobal Tower, Santiago, Chile [Master Thread]

Old Sep 11, 06, 1:05 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Nice job Snork!

Thank you so much; this is amazing!
Old Oct 26, 06, 9:57 pm

Programs: CO Silver; DL FO; SPG Gold; HH Gold
Sheraton Santiago review

I recently stayed two nights at the Sheraton on a Cat 2 weekend award (a very good deal for this property at 3000 points/night) then did two paid nights at the San Cristobal. The two properties are separate hotels but part of the same structure. They share some facilities: the health club is shared, room service menus are identical (so from the same kitchen I assume), and the restaurants are interchangeable. Check in at both properties is 3pm and regular check out is 1pm. The Sheraton is a conference center and might deny you a late check out, but the San Cristobal confirmed that they do provide a 4pm check out to Gold/Plat members.

As a side note, I also walked past the Four Points (but didn't go inside) and noticed that there was an SPG Gold/Plat line that actually appeared to be staffed.

Sheraton Santiago:

I arrived at the Sheraton around 11am on a Friday. Took a cab from the airport: US$25, so upon later reading apparently I should've negotiated a bit more. Note that the US$100 "reciprocity fee" for a visa can be paid with a credit card now. No recognition of SPG status at this property, and the agent seemed annoyed when I nicely asked him if he'd been able to upgrade me. (The hotel was full, so he couldn't.) I was told it'd be about an hour, so I said I'd wait in the lobby. Waited almost two hours without anyone coming over (I didn't mind since I'd arrived well before check in time), so I went back to the front desk and it turned out my room had been ready for quite some time.

Also, there was no SPG Gold/Plat line, working or not, and if I had checked in at a busy time I would have been dying for a well-staffed SPG line. A couple of the times that I went through the lobby it was literally so full of bags that I had to weave my way through and even walk behind a desk at one point as giant groups of people arrived by bus. Probably about an hour to check in one time I went past. The lobby itself was designed just fine and decorated quite nicely, it just simply wasn't designed to handle that many people.

Anyways, I went up to my room, and as I seem to have very good luck with lately, my non-smoking room was a smoking room, as evidence by the smell and the ashtray. I'd reserved a non-smoking room AND I was asked at check-in whether I wanted smoking or non-smoking, and when I said non-smoking I was told that was fine. So at that point the guarantee of just "a room" becomes a guarantee of "a non-smoking room" to me. Called the front desk, got the same agent. He said they were very full but that he'd get back to me. Waited 40 minutes without hearing back, so I called and again got the same agent. I asked if he could at least get back to me and let me know how long it'd take at least, so he told me he'd call me back within 10 minutes. 30 minutes later with no call, I headed to the lobby and asked to speak to the manager on duty.

The manager on duty was at lunch, but the guest relations manager, who keeps regular office hours at a desk in the lobby (great touch—more hotels need to do that) came over to talk to me. She was extremely pleasant, professional, and apologetic; after we finished talking about the issue she went to the front desk and sorted out a room for me. Gave me her business card in case I had any further problems. Had the key in a couple minutes and went to the new room which was fine. The rooms themselves are in great shape, seeming fairly recently renovated. There was a international plug selection at the desk, standard Sweet Sleeper bed, 32" HD plasma, and a well layed out bathroom. The view I had was of a building and a hill which wasn't all that exciting. Turndown service was performed in the evening as expected.

Unfortunately, when I went to take a shower, the bathtub spigot came shooting off (and it's one of those ones where you have to pull up a plug on the tub spigot to make the shower work.) Took a rather difficult shower while holding the bathtub spigot in place with one hand. I called maintenance and they fixed it while I was away, though left the extremely loose shower handle that I'd also noted in the same condition.

Overall, this was a good stay: I would blame the check in problems on one bad agent, as the guest relations manager more than made up for that with the excellent handling of the situation. The bathroom problems show that the hotel needs to keep tabs on their rooms better. But overall, the room was well-appointed and comfortable, and the hotel was good in general. I would highly recommend this as a good value use of points in Santiago. Also, I found the SPG50 rates to be significantly lower than the web rates if you're doing a paid stay, so you may want to look into those. If you want luxury though, read on...
Old Oct 26, 06, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Can't wait for the next post. I have had probably 15 stays between the Sheraton and the San Cristobal Tower. I have been staying exclusively in the tower the past couple of years.
Old Oct 26, 06, 10:32 pm

Programs: CO Silver; DL FO; SPG Gold; HH Gold
San Cristobal review

San Cristobal:

I walked over to the San Cristobal a bit after noon on Sunday after I checked out from the Sheraton—just back behind the Sheraton lobby bar and you're at the doorway to the San Cristobal lobby. A friendly Sheraton bellhop brought my bags over.

Went to check in; they have two nice check in desks to sit down at that were not at all busy every time I went through the lobby, which itself was quite nicely decorated. The fairly pleasant agent looked at my reservation, then noted that I was an SPG Gold member. Then she apologized that she couldn't upgrade me since they were full and offered to send me up a bottle of wine as an apology! I was surprised to even be offered an upgrade—I'd thought the standard rooms were the best available, since the next level up is "Executive Suite", but later discussion revealed they do indeed upgrade Golds to those rooms as policy if available, as well as provide extra amenities if an upgrade isn't available. Now that's going well beyond proper elite member treatment. I ended up not getting the wine, but it turned out that was due to room service not delivering it.

Unfortunately, check-in had some problems. I'd booked the "Luxury Romance" package despite travelling by myself, as it was $50 cheaper than even the pre-paid rate for some reason. Additionally, it included a welcome drink, bottle of champagne and petits fours in the room, 1000 Starpoints, either continental breakfast served by room service or a full breakfast in the lounge, free health club access, and a 5PM checkout, so that was a no-brainer. Anyways, I asked the desk agent about this and she said that my rate didn't include any of those things and that she'd check with reservations in the morning. Decided to just go to my room and deal with it later. I actually tried to go to the lounge for a welcome drink but they were closed. Later in the evening I called the front desk to ask for my amenities to be sent up, and they said they'd do so, but didn't. I also went to the health club and was told I'd be charged; of course I just used it anyways since it'd be taken off later. The health club, which is shared with the Sheraton, is small but functional. I didn't try the sauna or steam room.

I got to my room, which was fairly large and quite splendidly decorated with a nice Starwood-type bed, large desk, couch, and coffee table. The bathroom was quite nice as well, with a tub in the main area and two separate rooms for the toilet and the shower. The only thing that looked out of place was the old-fashioned standard TV on a slide-out stand. I was also only on the 6th floor (of 22) with not much of a view; unfortunately since they were so busy that was the best they could do. Of course, you get a much better view from the 21st floor lounge or, even better, climbing (or taking the gondola if you're lazy) up Cerro San Cristobal!

The butler service was quick and efficient for some things; I had them bring me a bucket of ice as well as take a couple items of clothes to be pressed, as they offer complimentary pressing upon check-in. Although one other time I called the butler line to have my room service tray removed, and they said they'd send a waiter—after waiting an hour I just put the tray outside my room. (Hey, if they offer butler service, I'll damn well be lazy!) The second day I was there, a different butler came by my room to introduce himself and offer me his business card.

I went down to talk to the Guest Relations Manager in the morning to figure out the problems with my rate plan. She has a desk in the lobby as well. While the Sheraton Guest Relations Manager was superb, the San Cristobal's was absolutely outstanding. She promised to look into my problems and did take care of everything for me, and offered me my choice of wine/snacks for the champagne/petits fours. I opted for a cheese plate and a bottle of Carmenere (after some discussion as to which wine I might like.) Brought the Carmenere home and it was quite nice indeed! She gave me her card as well. I chatted with the Guest Relations Manager several times during my stay (and even recommended FlyerTalk as she was looking for some info of that type. )

The Concierge was spectacular as well. All my dealings were with the head concierge; he earned himself quite a nice tip. Got tons of useful information from him, had an excellent vineyard tour arranged, and he even called over to one restaurant that he knew to arrange for myself and a friend to eat about half an hour before they regularly open for dinner. Got another card, seems like everyone at the San Cristobal has them!

I'd say this was one of my best Starwood stays ever. I'm not sure I'd want to stay anywhere else when I next go back to Santiago. Other than the rate plan issues, which were worked out fine other than wasting my time, my stay was pretty much flawless in every other respect. Definitely a Luxury Collection hotel that deserves the name.

Last edited by karthik; Oct 26, 06 at 10:46 pm
Old Oct 27, 06, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
I am more than a little surprised by the problems with SPG status recognition at the Starwood hotels in Santiago in the above posts. As an SPG Platinum member I have been upgraded to a full suite at the San Cristóbal Tower every single time I have stayed there, although not always on the first day (especially when arriving late in the evening). I have had fewer stays on the Sheraton side, but there too I have always been upgraded to a suite. It is true that often a fair amount of slightly unpleasant verbal negotiation with check-in agents is necessary, but there have been a few occasions on which the suite upgrade was graciously offered without my having to press. In all cases, the special features included in the rates have been recognized without any problems. Nonetheless, I have noticed recently some of the non-official extras have been cut out or diminished. These include a three-tiered silver tray of fruit, nuts, and chocolates that always used to appear in the San Cristóbal Tower accompanied by a bottle of Chilean wine. Now it seems that only one or the other of these extras is supplied, usually the tray, but not the wine. On the other hand, the Tower is now offering 500 bonus points per stay, or so they say. We’ll see if the bonus actually appears in my account. In any case, I can sincerely say that all of my stays at the Starwood Santiago hotels have been excellent.
Old Oct 28, 06, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by karthik
San Cristobal:

....I'd say this was one of my best Starwood stays ever.....
Same here:

-Nice room with view to the Andes
-Extremely friendly and helpful staff
-Nice location, walking distance to nice restaurants, cafés and Metro
-We got an invitation from the (lady) manager/gerente to a little party at the executive floor, I believe they have it every week.

Bottom line: A great hotel!
Old Nov 6, 06, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
Muchissimas gracias, snorkmaster! I'm moving to SCL in a week and am printing this off now as my hotel guide to the city. I need 5 more stays to make Platinum, so will probably bounce around hotels while I look for a place to live in the city.
Old Nov 27, 06, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM,, DL PM, Marriott Titanium Lifetime, Dollar Store Premium
A little follow up to answer the question I posed when I started this thread...

As far as I could tell, the rooms with terrazas are on floors 10 and 11, with 11 being an "SPG floor" containing what looked like 4 suites and the room which we had -- 1103. Our balcony faced east, and had 2 chairs and a small table (as did all visible balconies on 10 as well.)

If you'd like a balcony, will not be bothered by the Suecia noise (not my scene -- but the noise doesn't annoy me), and are not eligble for a suite upgrade, I heartily recommend 1103. The orientation of the room is perpendicular to the rooms on 10, and as a result, it has a very spacious, private balcony. (The balconies on 10 look decent too.)

There aren't many Four Points that I actually choose to stay at, but this is definitely one of them.
Old Nov 1, 07, 4:27 pm

W SCL update.

Update to the opening date on this hotel is now sometime in Aug 08.

A contact of mine informed me it won't make the previously projected Dec 07 date. Construction is progressing along nicely, a sign on the outside of it states that it will include: "residences, fitness center, offices, restaurants, and the new W Santiago."

Will try to snap a picture this week and post it in this thread.

Yeah, the street is a bit of "little America", but that is contained to the 2 blocks or so by our Embassy here, IMHO. W Hotels, as always, snags a prime location, right in the heart of Santiago's financial district.
Old Nov 2, 07, 1:17 am

Only spotted this thread today - so belated excitement! [yes i know there's a master thread of new Ws but for some reason I must have missed W SCL on that list ]

Guess I now have got even more reason to visit SCL.
Old Nov 30, 07, 9:49 pm

I passed by it by chance a few days ago, remembered this thread and took a snapshot.

It's in a pretty nice/hip area.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2373/2077379934_5a0eadc817.jpg?v=0
Old Dec 11, 07, 11:33 am

The W Hotels site is now showing a 1 Oct 08 opening date, with some limited info and a few pics of the Las Condes/El Golf area...
Old Jan 6, 08, 7:36 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr
Sheraton Santiago (Chile) Hotel/Conv Ctr?

Found decent rate here in April. How is this hotel as far as location - proximity to shops, cafe's, metro stops, etc? Seems like the Crowne Plaza is in a good location, wonder how this one compares.
Old Jan 6, 08, 8:13 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
I had a 1 night stay there last March and loved it! I had a room in the tower and was upgraded to an amazing suite with butler service and a view of San Cristobal. The pool area was nice, many chairs so finding a comfy spot wasn't a problem. It was a short, safe walk across the river to Provindencia, a main shopping street, and the subway. It's also walking distance to the San Cristobal tram (having a burger and beer at the top of the hill overlooking the city is highly recommended.)

Enjoy!
Old Jan 6, 08, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Found decent rate here in April. How is this hotel as far as location - proximity to shops, cafe's, metro stops, etc? Seems like the Crowne Plaza is in a good location, wonder how this one compares.
Sheraton: Nice walk, 10 min., to a nice area .... metro, shops restaurants.
Crowne Plaza is a little more central, but not better.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: