Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Excelsior - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Excelsior - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Old Oct 1, 2007, 2:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
how does the Westin Florence compare to the Grand Hotel Florence? Both are available for the same price in Euros (300) or *points (20,000) or cash+points (USD 150 + 8000).
Old Oct 1, 2007, 7:37 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Amex Plat,HHonors Gold, Leader - Leading Hotels of the World
Incredible experience at the hotel

They are right across the street/plaza from each other. My spouse and I stayed here at the Excelsior in 2005 for 8 nights (on points) and had an incredible room with a balcony facing the city and the Duomo etc. The room was nice but the service was incredible. ^^^^
Old Oct 1, 2007, 8:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
We stayed at the Grand in June and were upgraded to a multi floor, multi room suite with two bathrooms and two balconies overlooking the Arno. Our girls had a nice room too, but not a suite. Nonetheless, if the girl's room had been ours, we would have been equally pleased. It is beautiful hotel.

(We also stayed at the Excelsior in Rome and the Europa Regina in Venice)

Of the three, I can't say enough wonderful things about the Grand and it's staff. It was definitely our favorite of the three hotels. And the staff all genuinely seemed to want to make our stay wonderful (which they did).

Efficient turn down service with new towels in the evening, wonderful bedding, very patient and friendly and supportive concierge staff unlike Rome where they were polite and efficient but acted like you were interrupting them in the middle of their doing something else.

We did use the concierge in Florence to get us tickets to the Ufizzi and to the Academy and I think the service charge was maybe 3 euros per ticket, well worth the convenience.

From a location point of view, the two face each other in a open square so location is a moot point.

I don't see how you could go wrong with either. If you can get a room for 300 euros, it is a steal in either!
Old Oct 1, 2007, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I agree that you can't go wrong with either property. These are crown jewels in the Starwood chain in terms of location, service, rooms and overall atmosphere.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 6:29 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by psychtobe
how does the Westin Florence compare to the Grand Hotel Florence? Both are available for the same price in Euros (300) or *points (20,000) or cash+points (USD 150 + 8000).
If you are paying, why not do both and get the extra night/stay credit? Thats what I did and loved them both. They are literally across a plaza from one another and the consierge actually had my bags moved over while I was out sightseeing. I told him I wanted to experience both properties and he thought that was a great idea.

Again- here are some pics of my stays:
http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailsh...609/t_=6397609 Hotel Excelsior Florence

http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailsh...609/t_=6397609 Grand Hotel Florence
Old Oct 2, 2007, 8:25 am

In 2005 before the devaluation of SPG points we stayed 3 nights in the Florence Westin Excelsior in a terrace room - not a suite but a beautiful room with superior woodwork, padded cloth wallpaper, and an incredible view of the Arno from the very large terrace. The points per night was 14,000 ... the room rate was 1400euros. We all know how much that has changed now.

For 300 euros, take advantage of it - that's a super deal - and earn more points and perhaps a free night.

We went over to the Grand for a looksee. It seemed much more modern than the Excelsior, and smaller, but equally classy in its own way.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 12:20 pm

225 Euros for Xmas Night

I plan to be in Florence Xmas Day (travelling from Bologna); and have found a rate of 225 Euros on spg.com - based on the reviews, I would consider this good value for money. I originally intended to find a small independant hotel/pensione for around 100-150 Euros but maybe I should go for it given I won't be requalifying as Plat for next year.

Is there a club lounge at the Excelsior?

Cheers, Simon.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 7:14 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by ghostboy
I plan to be in Florence Xmas Day (travelling from Bologna); and have found a rate of 225 Euros on spg.com - based on the reviews, I would consider this good value for money. I originally intended to find a small independant hotel/pensione for around 100-150 Euros but maybe I should go for it given I won't be requalifying as Plat for next year.

Is there a club lounge at the Excelsior?

Cheers, Simon.
Yes that is a good rate for Florence, and in answer to your last question, there is no club lounge at either of the 2 properties. But as a Plat you should get an upgrade to at least an Arno view or Duomo view with a terrace, if not a suite.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 1:06 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
We were only gold when we stayed there and we received a wonderful
suite upgrade with a terrace and Duomo view.

I love this hotel and think they have a superior concierge team.

It's a great location and a very relaxed and friendly atmosphere. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I am staying at this hotel in November on an award stay, and have booked two other rooms on award as well for family members. I can upgrade from the Deluxe room to one of the other room types for around 2,500 per night per room. The webiste doesn't really give any description at all on the rooms. The room options from the website are:

1. Deluxe Room (what I currently have)
2. Deluxe River View
3. Premium Deluxe Room
4. Premium Deluxe River View

I assume that the river views are the same room, just with...well the view.

Can anyone describe the difference between the Deluxe and Premium Deluxe? Bigger I assume...how much? I'm trying to figure out which, if any, of the paid point upgrades would be worth it. I am plat and understand that any free upgrade would be extended only to me and not the other two couples in our party.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
bump.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 6:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Just wanted to add my two cents on this hotel after a recent stay. I am platinum and had reserved four rooms using Cash and Points for a three night stay from October 4th to 7th (Saturday to Tuesday).

I emailed ahead of time and indicated that this was a special occasion for us and we would appreciate any upgrades or consideration.

Overall, I give the hotel a B+. We received the original Deluxe rooms we had booked, maybe a small upgrade in that some had small river views if you looked out the window toward the river. The room seemed on the small side; in fact it was the smallest room we stayed in during our trip, but it was well appointed and comfortable.

The breakfast at the restaurant was good and service was excellent at the bar. Unfortunately at night they had a pianist and the piano was connected to some sort of amplifier so it was quite loud. Difficult to converse and hear in the atmosphere.

The staff were very helpful and granted an early check-in to my friends who had just arrived from an overseas flight. Location was good although a bit of a walk to the major sights.

Overall, a very nice hotel, but I was not wowed as some have been.

Last edited by JNelson113; Oct 13, 2008 at 6:17 am
Old Nov 5, 2008, 6:56 am

I see that this hotel has a fitness center. Can anyone share details as to the type and amount of equipment? Is it free for all hotel guests?
Old Nov 5, 2008, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Just wanted to add my two cents on this hotel after a recent stay. I am platinum and had reserved four rooms using Cash and Points for a three night stay from October 4th to 7th (Saturday to Tuesday).

I emailed ahead of time and indicated that this was a special occasion for us and we would appreciate any upgrades or consideration.

Overall, I give the hotel a B+. We received the original Deluxe rooms we had booked, maybe a small upgrade in that some had small river views if you looked out the window toward the river. The room seemed on the small side; in fact it was the smallest room we stayed in during our trip, but it was well appointed and comfortable.

The breakfast at the restaurant was good and service was excellent at the bar. Unfortunately at night they had a pianist and the piano was connected to some sort of amplifier so it was quite loud. Difficult to converse and hear in the atmosphere.

The staff were very helpful and granted an early check-in to my friends who had just arrived from an overseas flight. Location was good although a bit of a walk to the major sights.

Overall, a very nice hotel, but I was not wowed as some have been.
Did you ask if any better rooms were available? (I agree, Plat's shouldn't have to do that).
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:55 am

Well I'm back from my trip and did not get upgraded at the Westin Excelsior. Instead, they told me they did not have any upgraded rooms available but offered to give me a room across the square at the Grand. The rooms we received were absolutely amazing.

I tend to complain and get snarky about recognition in the U.S. but my travels abroad, especially to Italy, tend to make my decision to do business with Starwood a very good one.

I have written letters to several Starwood reps and the hotel expressing my appreciation...simply amazing!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.