Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Excelsior - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Excelsior - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2005, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, SPG
I stayed in the Westin Excelsiors in Venice, Florence, and Rome in July and had to go to the bar to get ice in Venice (provided in a large bowl).

Florence and Rome Excelsiors delivered it to my room.

Each property was shocked that I would want some ice.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 12:35 am
tyn

Originally Posted by rogerbeagle
Each property was shocked that I would want some ice.
LOL, these "cultural" differences are what makes travelling fun.. I'm always shocked when I order a coke in the States that their interpretation of my request is half a glass of coke and half a glass of ice
Old Oct 5, 2005, 11:52 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
FWIW, a representative for our Italian hotels asked me to post the following information as an FYI:

Italian Law does not permit the use of electrical items inside the hotel rooms as per Minister of Internal Affairs Act Issued on Apr 9th 1994 – due to fire & life prevention and security reasons.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Oct 5, 2005, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
Would "electrical items" include the TV and laptop?????

I am glad they have never caught me with the Television on or using my laptop.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 12:36 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by grayland
Would "electrical items" include the TV and laptop?????

I am glad they have never caught me with the Television on or using my laptop.
LOL. Yeah, I was questioning that one myself. I'm pretty sure that they meant to say electrical devices that generate a lot of heat like hairdryers and irons...but sometimes one loses a bit in translation.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Oct 5, 2005, 1:26 pm
tyn

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
...but sometimes one loses a bit in translation.
Happy to help with that *g*
It's not only the heat-generating issue, that's what the law is about, but it's that I think the rooms, especially in older historical buildings like most of the *wood properties in Italy, are wired to handle a certain power load.. they will have taken into account the room lighting fixtures, the TV, the minibar, etc. but anything that you plug in in addition to those becomes a short-circuit hazard.
Bummer, but I don't think the guys who built the Danieli had planned on people wanting to iron their shirts
Old Oct 5, 2005, 1:41 pm

Programs: AS Gold/SPG Gold/Hertz PC
Or maybe just a piece of legislation to ensure more revenues (for the hotels / tourism industry) and employment (for the country)?

Originally Posted by tyn
Happy to help with that *g*
It's not only the heat-generating issue, that's what the law is about, but it's that I think the rooms, especially in older historical buildings like most of the *wood properties in Italy, are wired to handle a certain power load.. they will have taken into account the room lighting fixtures, the TV, the minibar, etc. but anything that you plug in in addition to those becomes a short-circuit hazard.
Bummer, but I don't think the guys who built the Danieli had planned on people wanting to iron their shirts
Old Oct 6, 2005, 5:12 am
tyn

Originally Posted by ashaboe
Or maybe just a piece of legislation to ensure more revenues (for the hotels / tourism industry) and employment (for the country)?
Lol, the mind of Italian legislators does not work like that, not to mention the fact that law 626 is one that encompasses safety issues in a whole lot of public environments, hotels being only a very minor one of them.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ashaboe
Could be...a conspiracy on level with the DaVinci code- nothing to do with the risk of a hotel fire. I think you need to come talk to some Italian legislators- if they began to think on your terms...could be great for economic development!
Old Apr 14, 2006, 4:46 pm

Programs: Too Many
Arrow Westin Excelsior Florence

I am staying at The Westin Excelsior, Florence in a few weeks and when I booked it was listed as Lux Collection, now when you go to the site it's no longer listed as Lux Collection http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin...?propertyID=43 -- why would this NOT be a lux property anymore?? Anyone know about this?? Considering what we are paying ($450/night), I would assume it's not 'just a Westin' now...

Last edited by texex91; Apr 15, 2006 at 10:22 am
Old Apr 15, 2006, 12:44 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA PLAT
It is not listed on the Luxury Collection website either

Originally Posted by texex91
I am staying at The Westin Excelsior, Florence in a few weeks and when I booked it was listed as Lux Collection, now when you go to the site it's no longer listed as Lux Collection http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin...?propertyID=43 -- why would this NOT be a lux property anymore?? Anyone know about this?? Considering what we are paying ($450/night), I would assume it's not 'just a Westin' now...
But I would not hesitate to stay there. I spent two nights there last summer with my family and we were content with our stay. The rooms and hallways could use some refurbishment but the hotel was lovely for the most part. It is on par with, if not better, than some of the remaining LC properties in Italy (Naples, Lecce).
Old Apr 15, 2006, 1:03 pm

Programs: Too Many
As *wood Plat, think we can expect an upgrade? I wonder if the Grand next door is a better hotel...
Old Apr 16, 2006, 1:57 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Hmmm. This seems correct. As the poster above notes it is no longer listed
on the Luxury Collection site. I wonder if anyone knows the reason. It can't be service. The Firenze Excelsior has one of the finest staffs I've encountered at any hotel in the world.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by damon88
I wonder if anyone knows the reason. It can't be service. The Firenze Excelsior has one of the finest staffs I've encountered at any hotel in the world.
I think this is a corporate rebranding thing; the same has happened to the Westin Palace hotels in Madrid and Milan (both formerly LC, now Westin).
Old Apr 17, 2006, 9:01 am

Programs: CO; UA; Delta; Hilton Gold; SPG
A few years back, when Starwood created the group of hotels, many hotels were changed to Westins to broaden that particular brand.

This means that hotels that offer Luxury Collection standards can be of another brand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.