Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Excelsior - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Excelsior - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by beachfan
Stayed in early October, it was a special occasion (my wife’s big number birthday) and got an outstanding grand deluxe suite upgrade (photo 26 on the web page pictures).

I’m a repeat guest (not many times, but a few). I’m sure that helped.

thanks for the info!
Old Feb 11, 2020, 6:18 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
Just finished a 4 night stay. Upgraded as a Titanium to the highest level regular room, Arno River Premium. It was as large as some junior suites I have stayed in, with 2 small balconies overlooking the river. It had a separate bath tub, shower and toilet alongside 2 sinks.

I had toyed with using SNAs but the highest category available was a junior suite without a view. I am glad I didn't. All the river view suites, on the same floor as us, appeared booked out.

The breakfast spread is superb, very high quality and a large selection. The staff really go above and beyond with their service as well.

The location is ideal for exploring either side of the river on foot.

A great stay and I definitely recommend the property.
margarita girl and jimdarcy like this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Would you all recommend this hotel over St. Regis?
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Would you all recommend this hotel over St. Regis?
When I was there 2 weeks ago, the St Regis had scaffolding up the entire building on the side which faces the Westin and part of the river facing side. So you may want to check TripAdvisor reviews to see if that is causing disruption.

The rooms certainly look a higher spec at the St Regis but I couldn't justify the extra cost. You are after all in essentially the same location.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
April resevations

Tried to cancel a prepaid April stay and get a refund. No dice, the hotel says they are fully operational...
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by jimdarcy
Tried to cancel a prepaid April stay and get a refund. No dice, the hotel says they are fully operational...
Currently only stays through March 31 can be cancelled without penalty.

https://marriott-re-2019ncovc.com
Old Mar 4, 2020, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by clublounger
Currently only stays through March 31 can be cancelled without penalty.

https://marriott-re-2019ncovc.com
very helpful, thanks!
Old May 29, 2021, 10:26 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Just had a fantastic stay here - the staff were excellent and extremely helpful navigating Florence in Covid. The lobby bar is closed, but Sesto on the roof is open. This may change as of June 1 when indoor dining in Italy is supposed to come back.
Old May 30, 2021, 6:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, AA EXP, UA Gold
Originally Posted by dcmike
Just had a fantastic stay here - the staff were excellent and extremely helpful navigating Florence in Covid. The lobby bar is closed, but Sesto on the roof is open. This may change as of June 1 when indoor dining in Italy is supposed to come back.
Do you know if St. Regis has reopened yet? It was looking like maybe June 1 return, but also saw it might be end of June. They haven’t publicized anything.
Old May 30, 2021, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by WalruSara
Do you know if St. Regis has reopened yet? It was looking like maybe June 1 return, but also saw it might be end of June. They haven’t publicized anything.
So, when I looked at our dates, they were not an option. As we were there (last weekend) all of the shutters reopened on the hotel and there were signs of life. If they're not open again, it definitely looked like they were moving toward opening.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) | National Exec Elite | Global Entry | HH Silver
Originally Posted by dcmike
What other COVID restrictions were in place during your stay?
Old Jul 5, 2021, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Hopefully none!
Old Jul 6, 2021, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by GMoneyCO
What other COVID restrictions were in place during your stay?
So this was back in May, so I am sure things have changed since then. They checked everyone's temperature as you entered the hotel and you had to wear masks in the common areas of the hotel. Beyond that, everything was normal - breakfast was up in Sesto, there was daily housekeeping, only the bar was closed. Given that on June 1, Italy allowed inside dining once again, my guess would be that the bar is open again as well.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
My wife and I just finished a wonderful 4 night stay last week. I've stayed at this hotel a number of times previously (pre-Covid) and just love it. We were upgraded using SNAs to a premium room with Arno view, but when I arrived we were further upgraded to a penthouse level premium room, Arno view with a giant terrace. The terrace had a table and chairs as well as two lounge chairs. The penthouse level is on the 5th floor, one level below the restaurant. There was a nice complimentary bottle of red wine brought up to the room soon after we arrived.
Updating from the previous posts, the bar is still not open. Breakfast has now moved back to the lobby level. It is a buffet, but not self-service. You point to what you want and they put it on your plate. There is also an egg station with a chef who will prepare eggs/omelets to your specifications.
One option that I didn't have during previous stays was to have room service breakfast in the room rather than in the restaurant. Although I am a Titanium member, I was also booked by a virtuoso agent, so I'm not sure this option is offered to every elite member or was provided as a result of the virtuoso benefits. Either way, we did this on a couple mornings and they set us up on our terrace for breakfast. They told us we could order whatever we liked from the room service menu and it would be covered.
While masks are required in public spaces throughout the hotel and proof of vaccination is required to eat in the breakfast restaurant and Sesto, the hotel is offering daily housekeeping and turndown.
mciampa likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 10:06 am

What are the prospects for a larger river view upgrade on a paid 5-night stay (booked premium king cat.) at the height of tourist season, last week of June for a Plat elite member?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.