Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Angkor, Cambodia [Closed for Renovations]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS
Print Wikipost

Le Meridien Angkor, Cambodia [Closed for Renovations]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2008, 1:39 am

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Originally Posted by BiziBB
Seeing as this thread has no response, I'm be more specific.

The USD$155/nt for 2 nights offer, plus 1 free night sounds great!

TA notes this is the closest hotel to Angkor Wat? Is this correct?

Please add any advice or tips from recent experience - I'm following this in the Asia forum for Angkor Wat but please add any notes about hotels here!

We're looking forward to our stays in Siem Rep and KL!
I second what mario33 said about the hotel's relative location to Angkor Wat being somewhat irrelevant. You still need to rent a car and driver.

I stayed at this hotel in November 2007. As has already been reported on this thread it is indeed a very nice hotel. I was upgraded to a huge suite!

Some logistical info which I hope you'll find useful:
- visa on arrival application is a 2-step process: 1. submit your passport, application form with picture and visa fee in USD (if you don't know which line this is, ask or else you could end up in the 2nd line); 2. go to the 2nd line (not necessary IMO but everybody does it) to wait for your passport with the visa stamp
- at the FX counter after customs, don't change too much USD to Cambodian riel (KHR) as USD is accepted (and probably preferred) everywhere!
- rent car and driver from the hotel costs USD30/day (you can charge to your room)
- guide was USD30/day which you can arrange also through the hotel but pay directly in greenbacks (my guide spoke passable English but I learned most everything about the temples from my guidebook ('Eyewitness')). The guide (person) can be useful in navigating and prioritizing which temples to visit.
- if you aren't into or tire of the overly expensive dining options at the hotel, you have no choice but go into town (Siem Reap) which is about 15 minutes by tuktuk. If you plan to dine and/or sample the night life in town, best bet is to hire a hotel approved tuktuk for the evening (and if needed stick with this driver for the rest of your stay). Tell the driver your itinerary for the evening, he will quote you a price (in USD!) to take you to town, take you around town or whatever your planned itinerary is, wait for you at every stop and take you back to the hotel -- all for one price. Haggling is ok but I paid typically USD10 for a reasonable 6pm to 12midnight night on the town.
- outside the hotel, food and drinks are unbelievably cheap. Can't give you any solid recommendations though as the restaurants I sampled were so-so.
- remember, I'm quoting off-peak November prices so YMMV depending on the season.

You're gonna love Angkor!
Old Jan 15, 2008, 5:52 am

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Originally Posted by bp888
I second what mario33 said about the hotel's relative location to Angkor Wat being somewhat irrelevant. You still need to rent a car and driver.

I stayed at this hotel in November 2007. As has already been reported on this thread it is indeed a very nice hotel. I was upgraded to a huge suite!

Some logistical info which I hope you'll find useful:
You're gonna love Angkor!
Thanks for the info. We'll be there in Feb. for a few days - this helps!
Old Feb 28, 2008, 7:07 pm

Bump to add stay comments

Stayed two nights using cash and points. No suites available at check-in, but a nice welcome letter explaining that but for the occupancy, a suite would have been made available. A quick eyeballing of the lobby each morning confirmed the hotel was bursting at its seams.

My traveling companion and I were given rooms next to each other and each was large, comfortable and equipped with excellent air conditioning. Check-in was flawless.

The concierge was fantastic, offering shopping, touring and tuk-tuk advice that transcended the package information the hotel offered.

The manager was called during check-out to personally thank us for our patronage. It was a nice touch.

TUK-TUKs

We made ample use of the tuk-tuks. After watching the bell captain hail one by making an exaggerated hand clap (think "Gator chomp") we took to hailing them ourselves.

A tuk-tuk to the Old Market is $2-3 USD. A half-day tuk-tuk is $8. A tuk-tuk to the main temple was a pleasant 5 km ride. The open air canopy provided a refreshing breeze when in motion.

Meals

Breakfast was included in the rate, and as noted by others it was decidedly Asian. (The bacon was nearly raw both mornings, is that an Asian thing? And what is with the baked beans?) Not as nice as the BKK properties' buffets, but more than sufficient.

Dinner options in the city are plentiful, with Khmer Kitchen and its "Pumpkin Slice w/ Chicken" being my favorite. Dinner for two was about $10. (IIRC)

Other

Can not overstate the importance of bringing new, or near-new condition, US $1 and $5 bills. ATMs dispense USD, but only in larger denominations.

REP is extremely dusty. After a few days you can feel it in your throat. Having a car helps ameliorate the impact of the dust, but the tuk-tuks are just too much fun. Next trip, I'm bringing masks, ala Tokyo, for when the dust is particularly bad during the rides.

Get to the temples early to avoid the heat and get the best light for photos.

Safe Travels!

Last edited by FatManInNYC; Feb 29, 2008 at 7:04 am
Old Feb 29, 2008, 2:39 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Hi FatManInNYC

Thanks for the tips. I will be there in March for a short trip as well.

Would definitely share some of the points you have mentioned to my colleagues over there.

Did you visit the temples during sunrise or sunset? Heard the Khmer Kitchen is really popular in Siem Reap. Did you visit the restaurant?

Thank you and have a nice day!

Originally Posted by FatManInNYC
Stayed two nights using nights and points. No suites available at check-in, but a nice welcome letter explaining that but for the occupancy, a suite would have been made available. A quick eyeballing of the lobby each morning confirmed the hotel was bursting at its seams.

My traveling companion and I were given rooms next to each other and each was large, comfortable and equipped with excellent air conditioning. Check-in was flawless.

The concierge was fantastic, offering shopping, touring and tuk-tuk advice that transcended the package information the hotel offered.

The manager was called during check-out to personally thank us for our patronage. It was a nice touch.

TUK-TUKs

We made ample use of the tuk-tuks. After watching the bell captain hail one by making an exaggerated hand clap (think "Gator chomp") we took to hailing them ourselves.

A tuk-tuk to the Old Market is $2-3 USD. A half-day tuk-tuk is $8. A tuk-tuk to the main temple was a pleasant 5k ride. The open air canopy provided a refreshing breeze when in motion.

Meals

Breakfast was included in the rate, and as noted by others it was decidedly Asian. (The bacon was nearly raw both mornings, is that an Asian thing? And what is with the baked beans?) Not as nice as the BKK properties' buffets, but more than sufficient.

Dinner options in the city are plentiful, with Khmer Kitchen and its "Pumpkin Slice w/ Chicken" being my favorite. Dinner for two was about $10. (IIRC)

Other

Can not overstate the importance of bringing new, or near-new condition, US $1 and $5 bills. ATMs dispense USD, but only in larger denominations.

REP is extremely dusty. After a few days you can feel it in your throat. Having a car helps ameliorate the impact of the dust, but the tuk-tuks are just too much fun. Next trip, I'm bringing masks, ala Tokyo, for when the dust is particularly bad during the rides.

Get to the temples early to avoid the heat and get the best light for photos.

Safe Travels!
Old Feb 29, 2008, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
Hi FatManInNYC

Thanks for the tips. I will be there in March for a short trip as well.

Would definitely share some of the points you have mentioned to my colleagues over there.

Did you visit the temples during sunrise or sunset? Heard the Khmer Kitchen is really popular in Siem Reap. Did you visit the restaurant?

Hi Starwood Lurker II, and welcome to FT.

We did morning trips to the temples. We did not, but wished we would have, make it to the temples for sunrise or sunset - next trip for sure. Indeed, I think the following would make for a good morning (assumes you already have tourist pass to the temples): skip breakfast, initially, and hail a tuk-tuk just before dawn. Take the 5k ride to the main Angkor Wat complex. Spend a few hours exploring, taking photos, etc. Tuk-Tuk it back to the LM, shower and then enjoy breakfast at the hotel, as bfast is served until 10:30 am (IIRC).

We did indeed eat at the Khmer Kitchen. Once for lunch, once for dinner, and were very pleased with quality, portion size and service. We had two decent meals at other restaurants in town, but their names escape me. Behind the Khmer Kitchen is a street full of eateries. Many had outside seating that provided a decidedly New York feel that I found welcoming.

The fresh spring rolls at each were very nice. The Slice Pumpkin w/ Chicken at Khmer Kitchen was my favorite. Being more a gourmand than a gourmet, I'm not sure how to describe it other than to say it was very good.

Last edited by FatManInNYC; Feb 29, 2008 at 11:42 am
Old Mar 13, 2008, 4:01 am

Ok. Here I am. Just barely two weeks and I have to leave you guys.... temporary.

Going to visit LM Ang Kor as I love to travel and most of my friends recommended this hotel..

Would be back next week..
Old Apr 2, 2008, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA, SPG
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
Ok. Here I am. Just barely two weeks and I have to leave you guys.... temporary.

Going to visit LM Ang Kor as I love to travel and most of my friends recommended this hotel..

Would be back next week..
Have 4 nights reserved there in October, any help would be truly appreciated. Also in terms of upgrade logistics... I am currently gold (after 5 years of patinum ), and wanted to know if it's worth it to spend extra points to upgrade to the nicer room...?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 3:15 pm

Location: airports: SFO (lots) OAK (when possible); live: Concord, CA
Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by latinrusso
Have 4 nights reserved there in October, any help would be truly appreciated. Also in terms of upgrade logistics... I am currently gold (after 5 years of patinum ), and wanted to know if it's worth it to spend extra points to upgrade to the nicer room...?
What kind of help are you looking for?

Regarding the upgrade, it depends on how important an upgraded room is to you. I had a 4-night stay in November and even as a Platinum did not get an upgrade. However, this is a very nice, modern hotel and even the "plain" room was very nice and plenty big, including a table and couch and desk. Big bathroom with glass-wall shower and giant tub with those wooden doors that open the wall between the bathroom and bedroom. Personally I would not spend extra points on a bigger room; then again if you have points to burn why not.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by latinrusso
Hi all,

As a Gold preferred member, you will be given a room of your preference within the same room type you have reserved and it is subjected to availability.

Nevertheless, this is a wonderful hotel. The staff can be quite busy as it is always packed but they never failed to give you a great smile to warm up your day. The rooms are big and spacious.

Trust me. We would not want you to come back to an old and uncomfortable room after trekking through Kpal Spean or climbing steep steps at the Bayon to watch sunset.

I hope you have a great trip as much as some of the members(including myself) do.

I'm afraid I cannot say too much as I do not want to sound like a marketing personnel.

One piece of advice: if you are not greedy and would like to spend more time appreciating the history and beauty of the temples and sites, get a guide(with transport included of course). If you are more adventurous and would love to soak into the atmosphere around you, including the rural areas near the Tonle Sap river, get a tuk-tuk.

The only thing I regret not completing is to attend a local wedding, usually held on Sundays.

[email protected]

Last edited by Starwood Lurker II; Apr 2, 2008 at 8:40 pm
Old Jul 18, 2008, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I just came from a three-night stay here. The hotel is OK, but nothing to write home about.

I was using free Le Meridien nights from the promotion earlier this year (I know, not the best use of them given the rate at this property, but I may not have any other chances to burn them). I got a room in the "Strawood Preferred Guest wing" [sic -- I wish that I would have taken a picture of the sign], but no upgrade otherwise. The room was aged but decent, with wood floors and a tile bathroom. The windows didn't open, which I thought was strange given the climate.

The pool and spa area are very attractive at the hotel. The breakfast, which they included (seems like it was included in the package, as opposed to a Platinum benefit, but I can't be sure), was disappointing. Contrary to a previous poster, I found it surprisingly non-local -- they had some Cambodian fried rice, and a few vaguely Asian stir fry dishes, but that's all besides the usual Western fare. The fruit was excellent, and they had daily fresh juices, although more often than not the jars were empty and not replenished.

The service was so-so. Everyone was nice enough, and one waiter in the restaurant gave me great ideas of where to go, but besides that I found the service indifferent and the front desk not very helpful.

I am glad that I didn't spend $1,000 per night on Amansara, but of course I am wondering how it would have compared.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 1:31 am

Hi all,

I am going to share some photos of the property I took in March this year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2863306...7606309446864/

[email protected]
Old Jul 24, 2008, 7:18 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by mecabq
I am glad that I didn't spend $1,000 per night on Amansara, but of course I am wondering how it would have compared.
Aman is all about service. Otherwise check out the Hotel de la Paix which is a real gem in Siem Reap.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 8:11 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Any recent experiences regarding the plat. treatment at this property? Suite upgrade? Lounge access?
Old Jul 25, 2008, 8:53 am

Location: airports: SFO (lots) OAK (when possible); live: Concord, CA
Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by X-ON
Any recent experiences regarding the plat. treatment at this property? Suite upgrade? Lounge access?
From November, no and no (there isn't a lounge)
Old Jul 25, 2008, 10:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SEA2BA
(there isn't a lounge)
Not quite, they do serve comp coffee and tea (and apparently soft drinks) during certain hrs at the lounge/bar next to the main restaurant. No, its not what we usually consider as a "lounge", I didnt bother to use it during my 5 day stay late last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.