Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Dragonara, Malta [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Dragonara, Malta [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2022, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
There is one report of possible bedbugs on tripadvisor for this property from nov 21, which concerns me, but it is a better hotel than the Mariott overall, which is my other option. I want to use certs for April. What do you think?
Old Mar 27, 2022, 6:09 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
Last week I was there for 3 days.

I can recommed it.

Very friendly staff. Good breakfast and a well maintaned hotel.

Great Platinum Elite benefits: Upgrade to a renovated room. Breakfast AND 1000 welcome points. Free bottle of wine or a cocktail at the Bar. Lounge access (at the moment a special area next to the lobby bar)
Old Mar 28, 2022, 12:53 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by northernstar84
Last week I was there for 3 days.

I can recommed it.

Very friendly staff. Good breakfast and a well maintaned hotel.

Great Platinum Elite benefits: Upgrade to a renovated room. Breakfast AND 1000 welcome points. Free bottle of wine or a cocktail at the Bar. Lounge access (at the moment a special area next to the lobby bar)
Hi ! Great review!
They say in the website that, instead of lounge, in the evening they are offering appetizers at the restaurant.
What kind of lounge area have they prepared now?
Old Mar 29, 2022, 2:55 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
Hi ! Great review!
They say in the website that, instead of lounge, in the evening they are offering appetizers at the restaurant.
What kind of lounge area have they prepared now?
Just some blocked tables next to the lobby bar.
But the lounge will open on 1st of April as I heard.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 5:03 pm

FrequentMiler posted an extensive review here with lots of photos.

https://frequentmiler.com/westin-dra...m-line-review/
Old Feb 6, 2023, 12:30 pm

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
No recent stays?
Old Sep 5, 2023, 10:12 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Just booked for 5 nights next month on points. The only option with a Sea View was a regular family room with two beds.

I'm planning to reach out by email to see about an upgrade to something nicer. It's the first real vacation we've had in years and I'd really like something nicer.

Anyone have any advice specific to this property? Unfortunately, I have no SNAs left.
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 1:49 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Does anyone know what the lounge provision is here and if it’s open during the winter months? I am contemplating a stay here in November. My other choices would be the Marriott or the brand new AC, which is half the price but doesn’t have as many facilities. Thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2023, 5:34 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Does anyone know what the lounge provision is here and if it’s open during the winter months? I am contemplating a stay here in November. My other choices would be the Marriott or the brand new AC, which is half the price but doesn’t have as many facilities. Thanks!
I didn’t use the lounge on my stay here but the lounge in the Marriott was pretty decent, good drink options in the evening and the table service was great, nice suite as well. I’d probably go with the Marriott over the Westin, certainly if it is cheaper.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 6:32 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Will08
I didn’t use the lounge on my stay here but the lounge in the Marriott was pretty decent, good drink options in the evening and the table service was great, nice suite as well. I’d probably go with the Marriott over the Westin, certainly if it is cheaper.
Thank you, much appreciated. They are around the same price but the Westin has much better options in the SNA pool and I’ve got a few to use. I will have a think.
Will08 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 8:22 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Thank you, much appreciated. They are around the same price but the Westin has much better options in the SNA pool and I’ve got a few to use. I will have a think.
If you are using SNAs then that is a good shout, there are certainly more options at the Westin. Hopefully you get lucky with the weather. I have been there in Nov on one of my previous visits - had two days of pretty bad rain but then 3 days of weather you could have mistaken for the height of summer.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Will08
If you are using SNAs then that is a good shout, there are certainly more options at the Westin. Hopefully you get lucky with the weather. I have been there in Nov on one of my previous visits - had two days of pretty bad rain but then 3 days of weather you could have mistaken for the height of summer.
Thank you, I hope I get lucky. It’s my first time in Malta but I’m there mostly for a professional course, so we shall see how it goes.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 11:27 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

The lounge is pretty strong by European standards. Great space, nice staff, good (if mostly fried) food, just barely drinkable wines, no liquor. Breakfast can be taken in the lounge (limited selection, but peaceful environment), or in the restaurant (huge buffet with tons of options, one of my favorites in Europe, although this is of course subjective) or via room service for a €6 surcharge (I never did this, but it was told to the person checking in next to me).

The place is one of my favorites in Europe for extending summer a little bit (Temperature 27F today), and I’ve been here for a week mid-October for the last 3 years (including now). There are two caveats:

(1) room assignments are haphazard. I love the views toward Sliema, but the rest is meh, certainly in mid October. I had suite 826 (directly next to the club lounge) in 2021 (just perfect), applied and had approved SNA for that very suite in 2022, but was upgraded further to a luxury suite (very nice suite, but no direct sunlight in October, so asked to move to a Sliema view room, taking a downgrade to 814 or so). This year, I booked a “1 King Bed, Sea View, Club Lounge Access, Westin Executive Guest Room,” which is illustrated with the Sliema view. Reached out a few days before my stay to request the Sliema view. Arrived and found myself in a mostly pool view room. Hotel sold out with some corporate event, no sir, that side of the building is taken by the group. You’re really telling me, my request couldn’t have been accommodated if they made the slightest effort?! Waited two days to move to a room with my preferred view, finally ended up with a key for 820, with double beds (not the king I had booked). Are you kidding me?! Sorry, sir, no king rooms with Sliema view, gotta stick with the pool view if you want a king. Now mind you, king club ocean view is what I booked, so should I really be made to beg for it?

(2) the joyous days of Covid and low occupancy are over. Corporate events can take over the majority of the property, and it can be quite annoying. We awoke two nights in a row at 3:30am, when morons were partying next door. Today, there’s a giant birthday party for a nine year old, which took over the kids cub, and a noisy wedding (?) party with a DJ, which turns the club lounge into a less than perfectly peaceful environment. This also goes for the pool area, which gets extremely crowded in October (because most of the summer pool and lounging areas are closed for the season).

That said, we are likely to return, because this is one of the few places in Malta that’s an actual resort with ocean access and lots of pools (along with the Hilton). The Hyatt and IC are essentially city hotels in a hot weather location, and from a quick look at the Marriott, it appears the same (although I never stayed there). None of those places can compete with the Westin location-wise.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 11:33 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Club spread today:

MDtR-Chicago likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
Club spread today:

Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences, I really appreciate it.

I will keep an eye out for the haphazard room assignments.

Do you know if the lounge stays open into November? I saw something on their website about a lounge being seasonal; and wasn’t sure what to make of it.

Do you reckon the Westin is better than the Hilton?

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.