Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Verasa Napa [Master Thread]

Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Print Wikipost

The Westin Verasa Napa [Master Thread]

Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Hoc
Has anyone stayed at the Westin Verasa since it's become a Marriott? I'm a titanium member, and have generally been satisfied with the breakfast benefits I've gotten at the various hotels. However, I see a number of reviews criticizing the breakfast at the Verasa, but that was when it was still a Starwood property. They say that they were only provided with a continental breakfast, or $10 off a breakfast item on the otherwise overpriced menu. My question is, in the last few months, has anyone stayed there and gotten an elite breakfast benefit? What result?
It's still listed on the website as a Westin. Are you referring to what it's like now that it's part of the MAR portfolio of hotels? I'd be interested in a breakfast update as well, so that I can update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:23 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
It's still listed on the website as a Westin. Are you referring to what it's like now that it's part of the MAR portfolio of hotels? I'd be interested in a breakfast update as well, so that I can update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
All Starwoods are now Marriotts, regardless of how they're titled. They're managed and run like Marriotts, and have the same attitude toward customers. That is about what I'm referring. It's still a "Westin," but really, it's a Marriott. But, for example, the Las Alcobas, which used to be available on points regularly, is now no longer available on points most of the time, and though it used to be available for 20,000 Starwood points, now it takes 85,000 Marriott points on the few times when it is available. Upgrades at both hotels, while previously common under Starwood, are now few and far between.

Anyway, I called the Verasa, and their breakfast benefit is still what it was under Starwood, i.e., not worth it. Continental breakfast only, or a $10 coupon toward an otherwise overpriced breakfast menu (average breakfast around $20+ with entree, juice and coffee)
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Hoc

Anyway, I called the Verasa, and their breakfast benefit is still what it was under Starwood, i.e., not worth it. Continental breakfast only, or a $10 coupon toward an otherwise overpriced breakfast menu (average breakfast around $20+ with entree, juice and coffee)
Thanks. I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I just thought I would add this property to what should be a hall of shame sticky thread on the forum. Why? They basically no longer accept points bookings. No blackouts is, for this property, a flat out lie. They have blocked most of the next 4-6 months off with no possibility of a points redemption except on the occasional weekday. Wildly unethical and deeply troubling for the future of the convoy program.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That's a shame. In their SPG days, they gave me an above and beyond upgrade to a deluxe two-bedroom corner suite as a lowly Plat50.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ridefar
I just thought I would add this property to what should be a hall of shame sticky thread on the forum. Why? They basically no longer accept points bookings. No blackouts is, for this property, a flat out lie. They have blocked most of the next 4-6 months off with no possibility of a points redemption except on the occasional weekday. Wildly unethical and deeply troubling for the future of the convoy program.
High season, limited rooms in the area, etc. Looking to maximize their revenue opps. Redemptions are available mainly available in Q1 - same as when it was SPG.
Old May 17, 2019, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by blitzkriegs

High season, limited rooms in the area, etc. Looking to maximize their revenue opps. Redemptions are available mainly available in Q1 - same as when it was SPG.
Well for starters, that just isn't true. I made a points redemption last year during the same "high season". Secondly, let us be very very clear. The policy, in giant black and white letters on the web page, is no blackout dates. They have blacked out half the year. Stop making apologies. The practice is despicable.

And no, I am not exaggerating about the giant font either. It is in big bold type, and says: "Use your points to redeem for Free Night Awards at any of our more than 6,700 hotels and resorts worldwide with no blackout dates." Since you seem to be unclear on this. Nor is there an asterisk attached to the claim.
Old May 17, 2019, 7:33 pm

Well for starters, that just isn't true. I made a points redemption last year during the same "high season". Secondly, let us be very very clear. The policy, in giant black and white letters on the web page, is no blackout dates. They have blacked out half the year. Stop making apologies. The practice is despicable.

And no, I am not exaggerating about the giant font either. It is in big bold type, and says: "Use your points to redeem for Free Night Awards at any of our more than 6,700 hotels and resorts worldwide with no blackout dates." Since you seem to be unclear on this. Nor is there an asterisk attached to the claim.
Might want to take all your reading comprehension excitement elsewhere and settle back into that angry chair you have going on. Maybe use the pay with money option and you can stay at the hotel or use your points at one of the fine hotels in American Canyon or Vallejo as an alternative. Maybe youll even get better value of your points too for those other 6,699 options you have.

The hotel books up months in advance due to large hotel blocks being shelved for obvious reasons. Thus, limiting overall available inventory in Q2-4. Just facts, not excuses.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by blitzkriegs

Might want to take all your reading comprehension excitement elsewhere and settle back into that angry chair you have going on. Maybe use the pay with money option and you can stay at the hotel or use your points at one of the fine hotels in American Canyon or Vallejo as an alternative. Maybe youll even get better value of your points too for those other 6,699 options you have.

The hotel books up months in advance due to large hotel blocks being shelved for obvious reasons. Thus, limiting overall available inventory in Q2-4. Just facts, not excuses.
A standard room is still available for purchase. Not points. On all dates I looked at. So keep apologizing and keep it fact free buddy. Nice try. Nor does it book up months in advance. Again, not even remotely true. Why even bother posting if you are just not informed and not accurate? Seriously this is one of the dumbest least informed posts ever on FT. Which is an incredibly high bar.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
By no means is this my favorite property in the area, but I believe properties are still able to manage their own inventory and revenue. This hotel is popular and doesn't have a ton of rooms. They may have offered three or four per night for points bookings and they all got snatched up.

It's not a blackout, there just isn't anything left in that particular price category. "No blackouts" is not the same as last-room availability.
Old May 18, 2019, 3:03 pm

A standard room is still available for purchase. Not points. On all dates I looked at. So keep apologizing and keep it fact free buddy. Nice try. Nor does it book up months in advance. Again, not even remotely true. Why even bother posting if you are just not informed and not accurate? Seriously this is one of the dumbest least informed posts ever on FT. Which is an incredibly high bar.
Dont wait too long...there are point bookings this week.

My reason for posting is kind of obvious - to explain the reason for limited availability. Something you have chosen not to consider, but hey, Im not the one all angry about not being able to use points at this hotel. Or maybe the issue is you dont want to pay the market rate for the room - your choice, not anyones problem around here though. However, there are points bookings available at this hotel and other Bonvoy properties in the area. Theres also the amazing option of actually paying for the room and use your points elsewhere if you are so dead set on staying here.

Beyond being able to walk to Oxbow and downtown (location), the hotel is pretty blah and feels/looks like it was built and furnished using a mashup of Home Depot and West Elm circa-2000 design. It has limited character of the area unlike other options that are available Bonvoy or not.

So, generally, due to high season and limited hotel rooms across the area, expect limited availability for points during Q2-4. Simple as that. Same at Alcobas, Andaz, etc.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
It's not a blackout, there just isn't anything left in that particular price category. "No blackouts" is not the same as last-room availability.
Which is a big change from legacy starwood when "if you could book a standard room for cash, you could book it for points"
Old May 20, 2019, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Hoc
But, for example, the Las Alcobas, which used to be available on points regularly, is now no longer available on points most of the time, and though it used to be available for 20,000 Starwood points, now it takes 85,000 Marriott points on the few times when it is available. Upgrades at both hotels, while previously common under Starwood, are now few and far between.
Off topic but i booked this hotel the first day it was available to book and I'm almost certain it was already 30-35k starwood points, so 90-105k marriott points. Also, the hotel significantly tightened up inventory a long time before the transition to marriott.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC it was something like category 5 a couple years ago. It's just a Westin, although it can be expensive on weekends.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Tit
Well, as one data point, I booked a room Thursday for a stay tonight (Saturday). 60k points; the paid option was somewhere around $600. Last weekend was BottleRock and surely booked solid so maybe this weekend is a bit of a lull, who knows?

Another data point: I just looked with flexible dates for what the availability is for June for a one night stay. Here are the dates that are not available: Saturdays the 1st (today), 8th, and 22nd. Wednesday the 12th. Friday the 21st. Put another way, 25 of 30 days are available for a 60k points stay. Paid pricing ranges from $228 to $786 (8th). June 12, 21, 22 are not available... consider that in the points availability data as well and 25 of 27 days available for a paid stay are also available for points. On the 6th, a day available for points, the price is $705.

Maybe its a one night thing - works for me being less than an hour's drive - call me "rideshort" if you want. Someone flying in internationally or for whom it is a far ride might be looking for a longer stay with more likelihood that their date range crosses one of the unavailable for points nights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.